5.0 out of 5 stars Great music - and she's great too
We banged on Ladyhawke's - Pip Brown's - van window after her gig at Kerrang! radio Birmingham. She opened the door, chatted about New Zealand, her musical influences, and what it was like playing with an acoustic band (which she'd just done) compared to the album and to her electric band. What an amazingly nice lady! It must be the New Zealand background...
Published on 11 Mar. 2009 by Martin Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars A good listen
Love the initial songs in the album, full of energy and sincerity, however whilst this theme continues throughout some of the later songs feel a bit like poor copies of her other material.
Published on 18 Feb. 2011 by joegaze

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music - and she's great too, 11 Mar. 2009
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)

Anyway, this is an album that keeps suggesting a particular '80s influence to you at the beginning of a track, and then going off somewhere completely different. Crazy World, for example, always makes me think Cyndi Lauper is about to kick in, but only for a moment, while Professional Suicide makes me think straight away of Soft Cell. Once you get into the songs, though, more than anything, it reminds me of Suzanne Vega's 99.9 F° industrial album, especially on Paris is Burning. Ladyhawke brings a particular intensity to the music by playing all the instruments herself.

What's especially interesting to me is that although the tracks on this album sound very much like the synth-pop of the 80s, especially Morning Dreams and Better Than Sunday, the influences she told me about at the van were all rock: David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, ELO, among others. Live, with an acoustic band, you can really hear that. "You should do an album with that band" I said. "Yeah", she replied, "maybe I should." I hope she does. She strikes me as someone who will really blossom in the creative tension of a recording band, which will take her away from the occasionally over-rhythmic drum-machine sound.

Anyway, this is a superb album, and one that's worth owning just to be able to say 'I was there at the beginning'. Ladyhawke is certain to go on to bigger and better things. Don't get me wrong -- this one is good. But the next one is going to explode with more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Pop-Rock crossover evoked from 80's youth, 22 Mar. 2009
A. Faulkner (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
I bought the album on the premise of the fine underrated songs My Delirium and Paris is Burning and I wasn't disappointed, this is coming from somebody who has prefered the likes of Muse, Kaiser Chiefs, Green Day, Franz Ferdinand over the past half decade.

The stand out songs on her Eponymous album are Magic that has one hell of a powerful Synth riff and Michael Hutchence style delivery, My Delirum with it's memorable chrous, Paris is Burning with an fine bass hooks that meet Bananarama Synth, Professonal Suicide with a cheeky dig at reforming groups with synth's that Gary Numan would have been proud to produce and Crazy World that has The Bangle's meeting 80's Fleetwood Mac.

The influences here are from Cyndi Lauper, 80's Fleetwood Mac, Kim Wilde, INXS and Bruce Springsteen to synth sounds that are familiar with Gary Numan and Val Halen during the 1980's and cult brat-pack film's of that time.

The presence of synth and guitar in every track makes for an ideal crossover for rock lovers and pop passionista's as 'Pip' Brown's delivery is spot on with an ode to Stevie Nicks, Kim Wilde, Cyndi Lauper and Michael Hutchence.

5 Stars for a flashback to 80's youth with a modern twist that would grace the soundtrack to the Brat-Pack Movies perfectly. Ladyhawke is going places.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than you think it will be..., 6 Feb. 2009
D. Carvill (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
My initial impressions of Ladyhawke was a manufactured bandwagon jumper, with a few hit singles propping up an album of dodgy 80's influenced pop songs. Whereas this is an album firmly influenced by 80's synth pop, it certainly isn't dodgy.

This album has probably surprised me a lot more than any other I bought in 2008. A friend recommended I buy it after I told him that I enjoyed Robyn's album and that I wasn't offended by pop music. How right he was!

The weaker songs on this album are mainly noticeable due to the sheer hook-laden quality of the others. Manipulating Woman, My Delirium, Back of the Van and Crazy World, alongside the singles Paris is Burning and Disk Till Dawn are brilliantly catchy electro pop songs. Ladyhawke's voice is not the most distinctive, however it works well through the album's perfect melodies and on top of excellent production by a number of different producers.

It's not often that something this good comes out of New Zealand that you can't eat, so I implore you to give it a listen. If you're enjoying the 80's revival and fondly remember Madonna (before she got veiny), Robin Beck, Stevie Nicks, Cyndi Lauper, etc. then you'll like this even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladyhawke's hooked me In, 23 May 2009
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Ladyhawke since her debut release "Back of the Van", which was released when nobody knew her. Because she's given us this great album i think it's time that i review her album (after getting the album 8 months ago).

Magic 8.5/10-This song eases you into Ladyhawke's trance of hypnotic music and shows you her full 80s influences.
Manipulating Woman 8/10-This song is very indie rock but is not one of my favs as it does not stand out.
My Delirium 10/10-The highlight of the album, the song shows a different side to the Hawke. It's quite slow and fast in places, which makes you wanna dance. It is one of the big 5 on the album.
Better Than Sunday 9/10-This song is very nice and electronic but blends into the background and pushed to the side when the big 5 come on.
Another Runaway 9/10-another great peice of electronic masterpeice but also belnds into the background and pushed to the side for the big 5.
Love Don't Live Here 9/10-Same as the last two its a great electronic song but blends into the background and pushed to the side for the big 5.
Back of the Van 10/10-The second member off the big 5, this is probably Ladyhawke's best because it's very hipnotic and 80s inspired.
Paris Is Burning 10/10-The third big 5, very good and great indie rock.
Professional Suicide 9.5/10-The song is fantastic accompained with clever lyrics, this song is hard to forget.
Dusk Till Dawn 10/10-The fourth big 5, even though this isnt the best song on the album it is the most unforgettable and stands out with her indie rock portrail off a lonley night.
Oh My 9.5/10-An unforgettable dance song by Ladyhawke with a great chorus of "Oh My, Oh My" and many other catchy lyrics.
Crazy World 10/10-The last off the big 5, not necaceraly the best but like Dusk Till Dawn is completly unforgettable and is a slow dancable song.
Morning Dreams 9/10-A great slow song which shows off Ladyhawke's great vocals but is quite forgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, 22 Feb. 2009
J. Trevelyan (exeter uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the back of a track (My delirium) I heard on the radio and I haven't been disappointed. The whole album is a joy from start to finish,- great hooks and infectious melodies. This album is a must for anyone with a fondness for eighties synth pop but Pip Brown (aka Ladyhawke) manages to give the songs a comtemporary twist. In conclusion, this is a feel-good corker best listened to in the car. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums i've listend to this year!, 15 Mar. 2009
Rc Whiskin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
This album in my opinion has everything, a funk 80's sound in some of the tracks, which i love.

I recently discovered LadyHawke by watching an advert advertising her album and i never looked back. This is such an unbeliveably fantastic album with the songs; Dusk Til Dawn, Crazy World and Morning Dreams being my favourite songs.

Seriously, if you have any doubts about this album, don't! Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars an astonishing album by an inspiring new artist!!, 4 July 2009
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
Ladyhawke for me is just what the music scene needs to give that entiely unique level of brilliance that she has taken in her electronica sound to recreate that distinctive sound of the 70/80's.
this is from 2008 and fortunately i have purchased this album recently to enjoy the sheer brilliance of this album to which everyone must own.
it is completely different and sheer beautiful to listen too, both exciting and touching while with it's raw edge makes it one of the greatest debut albums i have heard this year.
at this price it makes this album a must have item for fans of genuinely epic music.

others recommended-
The Fame-lady Gaga
Lungs-Florence & The machine
&
La Roux debut album

Ladyhawke has the power of the aforementioned aritists with this one album, it is brilliant!!
10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Synthetic Dreams, 4 May 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
Better late than never I suppose.

Ms Brown's eponymous debut is an album that I stumbled upon more by
accident than design and am consequently very glad to have done so.

Much has already been made of her
influences in these pages and elsewhere.
I have nothing to add or subtract.
Frankly with pop music this good it is an irrelevance.

This collection of 13 fine songs has enough catchy
hooks to see us through at least three summers.

Top down music for the open road.

Ms Brown's voice is not the most subtle of instruments but,
making the most of her strengths (ie : a fine pair of lungs),
it adorns the material more than adequately.

"Magic" kicks off proceedings with a vibrant synth-led arrangement.
A strong, anthemic, opening statement pointing to what lays ahead.

"My Delirium" is a real stormer with a chorus to die for.

"Back Of The Van" another ecstatic pop gem.

"Professional Suicide" displays a slightly darker sound palette.
The dense and elusive chord progressions are very canny.

"Dusk Till Dawn" and "Oh My" are together the album's highpoints.
Two completely satisfying slices of uplifting melodic mayhem.

"Morning Dreams" concludes the project in a quaintly old-fashioned way.

New Zealand can be justly proud of her talented daughter.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as expected, 3 Nov. 2009
Amanda Doherty (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
This is such a great album, there's about 4 songs that I kind of already knew so they are great to turn up loud to sing along to in the car - kids are lovin them too. And then the songs which aren't as well known find their place and are just as good. Overall a great album, very glad I bought it - highly recommend it. It's got a real 80's electronic feel to it without sounding old, great tunes like back of the van, Paris is burning.......she's gonna be big so get to know her before the crowds do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electro fabulous!, 4 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Ladyhawke (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I'd heard good things about it and heard the single. Also I like to buy an album every now and then that I don't much about as a kind of experiment.
I love this album and recommend listening to the whole thing as it is definitely an album that has been well put together which just makes it work so well as complete listening piece.
Very funky electro pop... If you like little boots I reckon you'll love this!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ladyhawke
Ladyhawke by Ladyhawke (Audio CD - 2008)