on 7 April 2009
Bought this from Dixons as they were offering free DHL delivery. All I can say is that for the price it exceeds my expectations! Build quality is fine...this is not a Samsung or Sony but it does take rechargeable batteries, comes with a charger and takes SDHC cards up to 8GB (some confusion here...manufacturer states max card size of 8GB and system memory of 32MB but some retailers have misrepresented this as 32GB max card size). The unit is not too heavy but most of all the video quality is very nice for such a small (and cheap!) sensor. Played it on my 32" Samsung HD TV (component input cable supplied in box) and the footage was quite crisp with reasonably accurate colour representation, if a little dull.
In summary, manage your expectations and you could be pleasantly surprised!
on 16 February 2009
I wanted a small camcorder that takes a reasonable quality video and this is the best one by far in my opinion.Looks cheap and plastic but the quality of video is what matters to me and that is really good for the price.You even get a couple of rechargable batteries and a charger in the box along with a slip case and wrist strap.Easy to download to the comp only gripe is having to use quick time to play the video on the comp otherwise a great buy for me
on 29 March 2009
I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the video produced by a digital camcorder costing well under £100. Although these low end camcorders can look like a bit of a toy, this device is incredibly well made - it feels very solid.

Like many of the other digital camcorders it has a "flick out" USB port that makes connecting the device to a laptop an absolute breeze. The camcorder appears as a mass storage device and files can be uploaded by dragging and dropping them onto the laptop.

I like the fact that the device uses rechargeable AA batteries. The batteries and the charger are included. These means that the batteries will be cheap and easy to replace and if they run flat while you are away from home, you could use disposable batteries as an alternative.

The downsides:

The interface is not as simple to use as similar devices. The Flip is easy to use and it is surprising that such a simple hardware UI could be made this confusing. The UI to the Flip is much simpler and easy to use;

To compound this, the instructions are pretty minimal (a folded up piece of paper about 3 inches wide and 12 inches long). I was expecting to find detailed instructions as a PDF document on the enclosed CD. No such luck. Why didn't the manufacturer do this? It wouldn't have cost anything (other than producing the material in the first place). Failing that, why not include a URL to the instructions? No luck here either. Strange.

The battery life is pretty poor and doesn't last more than about 30-40 minutes if you are lucky, so an 8Gb memory card probably is going to lead to a flat battery. Maybe there was a reason why the batteries are replaceable!

I was disappointed that the recorded format is .mov. I would have preferred either .avi or .wmv. The enclosed software does allow you to edit and then transcode to the content to .avi or .wmv, but it is an additional step. Some video editing software (e.g. Pinnacle 12) won't import .mov files for editing, so watch out. More fool me, I should have checked before purchasing the device.

I would be tempted to use a Flip rather than one of these devices, but the quality of the video is pretty impressive for a digital camcorder under £100. If you are looking for an inexpensive HD video recorder, then take a look at the Flip HD. It is slightly more expensive than the Enova, but it is probably worth the extra cash (I only have the "normal" version of the Flip).
on 30 December 2009
I bought my first Enova to be able to have a video record of my sons wedding. As I expected this to be a one off videoing experience, I was after something inexpensive and easy to use.
Have to say was very impressed with the package, camera, SD card, batteries, battery charger, leads to connect to TV and software. Even more amazing was the ease of use and quality of video. The camera is reasonably intuitive to use, which is just as well as the instructions are not the most comprehensive.
The camera works best in good ambient light conditions but it does auto adjust rapidly if light conditions vary, i.e. moving indoors. I found picture quality excellent and it will also operate as a 5MP still camera.
To get good sound you need to be reasonably close to your subject, 10 feet or less, and if it it windy, forget it.
The one weakness I did find, was that in very bright conditions, the screen tends to get swamped and it is difficult to see what is on the screen, with the result that framing your subject can be a bit hit and miss.
After the wedding took the camera on holiday to New Zealand, where my son in law, a gadget freak was, very taken with it. So we bought him an Enova for Christmas.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2009
I bought this camera to just film family events etc, and it didn't seem too bad.

Good Points:
The video quality is great, though a little bit grain
The sound is OK, but not great

Bad Points:
The charger that came with it didn't work
The battery life was 10 minutes

if you want a respectable camera, DON'T get this one
on 10 March 2012
Although not packed with features I found this to be an excellent camera. I take video cameras on overseas trips usually returning with hours of film for editing. This is the sixth HD camcorder I have tried since moving to SD cards. And what a pleasant suprise. Have found Kodak cameras of this ilk very good to date and have tried many similar designs to this. The Enova video output is excellent at 1280X720 and even the lower 720p resolution is usable. Picture and Sound quality is better than the Kodaks/Sony/Sanyo cameras of similar design. Battery life is fine(when charged correctly). Used mine for almost two hours with little loss of power. In fact still more than three qtrs charge left. Used with 16gb sd have about 8hrs vid time available. Copes very well in low light for a camera of this size (compared to others) Build seems quite robust. Only down side is annoying beep with change of function.
on 12 December 2009
I bought this to compliment my professional HD Video Camera as I needed a point and shoot hd cam that I could put in my pocket...it ticks all the boxes...good video quality and instant on and a 4X zoom, with a reasonable digital camera included at 5mp...charge the batteries for 16 hrs first and you will get over two hours of usage per charge... good build quality and not too big...all in all a fab little package, as good as the Flip, half the price and you can buy 2300mah batteries at approx £5.00 for four so plenty of spares.
on 26 November 2010
I HAVE BEEN AFTER A CHEAP HIGH DEF VIDEO CAMERA FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS,AFTER SCOURING MANY WEB PAGES I CAME ACROSS THIS.I AM NOT THE MOST ARTICULATE CAMERA USER BUT AFTER USING IT FOR JUST 5 MINUTES I FOUND EXCELENT VIDEO QUALITY AND GOOD QUALITY PHOTO'S.I WAS A BIT SCEPTICAL AT FIRST AS THE CAMERA WAS ONLY [...] INCUDING POSTAGE BUT FOUND THE BUILD QUALITY EXCELENT.I WOULD'NT THINK TWICE RECOMENDING THIS TO A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER.ONE OF THE BEST THINGS IVE EVER BOUGHT.
on 24 December 2009
I love this both as a camera and a video recorder. The video quality is better than my Sony camcorder so I won't be carrying that around any more. This camera fits into your shirt pocket and the battery life is excellent. It's a pity the vids are in Quicktime format but I can live with that.
on 26 July 2009
A nice little unit good value and quality video but not yet found a way to save files from PC to a DVD. Which is rather restrictive. Instructions provided short and poor and more detail unavailable online.