on 6 January 2011
I buy quite a lot of stuff from Amazon (loads in fact)... and unfortunately, this is the first item that I will be returning! There is nothing wrong with the quality or features of the product... if size were not an issue, they would be getting 5 stars. Read on for more details.

I don't normally order clothes on-line, however these trousers were £40 cheaper on Amazon than in-store... a significant saving. As I am 6' 4" I made a point of trying these on in an outdoor store prior to ordering. The good news was that they fit perfectly (I made a note of the size as 'XL'). Naturally, I assumed that if I ordered a pair of 'XL' trousers via Amazon, they would also fit. Unfortunately it is dangerous to assume, and the trousers I received are too short ...they arrived labelled as "XL WAIST (82CM) R31 LEG (79CM)".

Upon checking the Berghaus website, it seems that these trousers actually come in no less than 18 different sizes!!! There are 6 different waists (including XS) and 3 different leg lengths (29", 31" and 33"). At the time of writing, Amazon is only offering these in the following sizes (and there is no mention of leg length in the description or sizing chart!):-

Small
Medium
Large
X-Large
xx-large

I'm assuming that Amazon probably only stock the 31" leg... which is fair enough, but this should be mentioned in the description in my opinion. A 31" leg will probably be fine for many people... but possibly not if you are shorter/taller than average. I suggest you double check the Berghaus website for a more detailed sizing guide, and contact Amazon to check the leg length before ordering.

UPDATE 13/1/10
After returning these trousers and explaining the above issue, it looks like Amazon have now updated the product description and sizing accordingly... so well done Amazon!
66 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2008
I have used a pair of these for the past year and have been very impressed with the water repelancy, breathability and most of all the weight! Thay are so light you just don't know you are wearing them, especially compared to old style rain pants.

Being able to easily put them on and take them off over boots, due to the full length zips, is brilliant. Just be a bit careful not to snag the zips as I have done once or twice. I hold my thumb against the material as I zip which seems to ensure no snags. Fantastic for golf as well as hiking!
on 14 February 2016
As mentioned by other reviewers, these seem to be a good product. I am 5'10" with a 36 inch waist and a 30/31 inside leg. I ordered the "Large Regular" size. After unwrapping and holding them up, I thought they would not fit - however after putting them on over jeans, the fit was "snug" - I would have liked another inch or so as the waist elastic was stretched about 70%, definitely will not need the draw-cord. However, a quick test walk around, sitting, standing etc. and found them to be very comfortable. I think they could have been a little more generous but I am happy with the fit.

The legs have press fasteners about knee level and ankle. The zip opens from the ankle all the way up to the vent (pocket level) which is very useful if you have bulky clothes underneath and certainly assists getting them on over boots. Not the cheapest you can buy from Amazon, but the quality, look and feel makes paying the extra worthwhile (I hope). Time will tell . . . .
on 20 October 2010
Very good trousers - lightweight, durable and easy to run in (a little noisy - but the protection is worth it)They breath well and are fully waterproof - used on the OMM (formerly KIMM) and in training on the hills - love them

I bought the slightly longer pair to ensure drips go over the boots or when running over the trainers a little - would advise others to do the same.
on 8 April 2016
DOes what it says and can't go wrong with Berghaus.

However, the sizing is on the small side. Unfortunately, it doesn't consider that one would be wearing strides under these, so what might be right if only skin under them, is a bit tight when trousers are being worn, which would be generally all the time.

So, order at least 1 size bigger than you would usually for a comfortable fit.
on 28 September 2010
I hate waterproof trousers, but there are times when safety comes first, so I bought these reluctantly. And I love them. I have been known to wear them when its not even raining, and they're even OK for cycling. I've spent my whole life saying I didn't need GoreTex - why didn't I just buy it before? They're very light, pack up into a tiny bag, and the thigh length zips mean you can put them on very quickly over walking boots. Strongly recommended.
on 16 January 2016
Size Small Regular: the waist measures 62 cm (25 inch) in circumference (unworn with the elastic relax) and the inside legs measure 102 cm (31 inch).
My waist is 28 inches (usually extra small) but I decided to get the size small based on previous reviews. The waist on the size small is very tight, even for me. The elastic is way too tight, but the trousers are quite baggy even for an over-trousers. I did not get the extra small because I think the waist on that is going to be even tighter.
Flimsy quality but it is at least Gore-Tex. No pockets or extra patch for the bottom and ankles. The side zips are fine and are covered.
Some of the sealed tapes on the seams could have been applied better.
I have not tried it in heavy rain yet.
Berghaus is not the best or prestigious brand, it is a basic and serves the purpose. Nice GoreTex trousers of other well known brands are going for £300 and up.
on 3 April 2015
My and my husband have paclite jackets & trousers. Used them on the Yorkshire 3 peaks walk - where it was really heavy rain for over half of the 25 miles and they kept us dry without being uncomfortable. The zipped legs make them easy to put on and they're not really baggy like some waterproofs. They are slightly small fitting, so getting a size bigger makes it easier to get them on over other walking gear when it's wet and windy. They are lightweight and pack away really small in the rucksack too, so you can take them with you on every walk.
on 6 September 2014
Served me well on my recent trip and I'm sure for a long time to come. My only small issue seems to common with other such item but it has toggles at the waist on each hip. This may sound like a good idea but most times I will ever use these trousers I will also be carrying a rucksack and the toggles dig in if they are under the hip belt which they seem to be unless I pull the trousers down lower than they should be
on 17 April 2015
Not really suitable for cycling as the waist is lower than it should be for cyclists, but they weren't designed for such use so I am not complaining. These are nice and lightweight, although where they get the idea that they can be packed down to the size of an apple I am not really sure. The apples at my Tesco certainly aren't that big. If you are in need of waterproof trousers for walking or trekking then these coukd be the answer. Don't waste your money buying cheap ones that you will sweat like a pig in.