5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance
I have used a pair of these for the past year and have been very impressed with the water repelancy, breathability and most of all the weight! Thay are so light you just don't know you are wearing them, especially compared to old style rain pants.

Published on 18 Nov 2008 by Christos

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product - but make sure you get the right size!
I buy quite a lot of stuff from Amazon (loads in fact)... and unfortunately, this is the first item that I will be returning! There is nothing wrong with the quality or features of the product... if size were not an issue, they would be getting 5 stars. Read on for more details.

Published on 6 Jan 2011 by Fizzypopman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, 18 Nov 2008
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Paclite Overtrousers (Sports Apparel)

Being able to easily put them on and take them off over boots, due to the full length zips, is brilliant. Just be a bit careful not to snag the zips as I have done once or twice. I hold my thumb against the material as I zip which seems to ensure no snags. Fantastic for golf as well as hiking!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product - but make sure you get the right size!, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Paclite Overtrousers (Sports Apparel)

I don't normally order clothes on-line, however these trousers were £40 cheaper on Amazon than in-store... a significant saving. As I am 6' 4" I made a point of trying these on in an outdoor store prior to ordering. The good news was that they fit perfectly (I made a note of the size as 'XL'). Naturally, I assumed that if I ordered a pair of 'XL' trousers via Amazon, they would also fit. Unfortunately it is dangerous to assume, and the trousers I received are too short ...they arrived labelled as "XL WAIST (82CM) R31 LEG (79CM)".

Upon checking the Berghaus website, it seems that these trousers actually come in no less than 18 different sizes!!! There are 6 different waists (including XS) and 3 different leg lengths (29", 31" and 33"). At the time of writing, Amazon is only offering these in the following sizes (and there is no mention of leg length in the description or sizing chart!):-

Small
Medium
Large
X-Large
xx-large

I'm assuming that Amazon probably only stock the 31" leg... which is fair enough, but this should be mentioned in the description in my opinion. A 31" leg will probably be fine for many people... but possibly not if you are shorter/taller than average. I suggest you double check the Berghaus website for a more detailed sizing guide, and contact Amazon to check the leg length before ordering.

UPDATE 13/1/10
After returning these trousers and explaining the above issue, it looks like Amazon have now updated the product description and sizing accordingly... so well done Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Paclite trousers are just brilliant, 24 Oct 2011
I bought Berghaus Paclite trousers a couple of months ago, have worn them in the most inclement weather and they really do the job well: extremely lightweight yet completely waterproof, easy to get on due to the zips going all the way up close to the hip and the right length (I have short legs and was able to get them the correct leg length).

4.0 out of 5 stars Best buy in the super light category, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Paclite Overtrousers (Sports Apparel)
The Berghaus Paclites are minimalist hard shell trousers at a very reasonable price. The fit is a bit slim both at the waist and at the thighs/calves which I personally like a lot being 185cm and 70kg. The trousers have a high waist line providing good coverage of the lower back and pelvis.
I've got the size Medium/Long, which are spot on for me (waist appr. 32", inseam approx. 34").

Minimalist means minimalist - the trousers have no pockets, no reinforcements and the cover flaps for the 3/4 length leg taped zippers are rudimentary.
The fabric is paclite, breathability is quite good as the trousers are a bit thin. Other people have reported sealing issues at the zippers but I've never had any water entry at the zippers. They fit neatly into the compression bag, roughly the size of 3 tennis balls.

I've used the trousers for light hiking, bike commuting and everyday use for a year and so far they're holding up nicely. I wouldn't expect them to survive extended periods of rough use but they are quite cheap so it replacing them every 2-3 years would be an option.

The trousers are absolutely recommendable as a trouser for light hiking or commuting as they weigh next to nothing and take up np space.

PROs:
Cheap
Very light
Low volume when packed
Highly breathable
Tight fit

CONS:
only 3/4 zippers
lacks a pocket
not the sturdiest hard shell pant out there

5.0 out of 5 stars Great over trouser, 27 Mar 2014
Berghaus, so not much more to say. A bit expensive but well worth it and not had any issues with all this wet weather this winter on very long walks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for with these excellent trousers, 18 Feb 2014
Worth every Penny. Get what you pay for with these trousers . Total waterproof and comfy . Excellent for motorbike in wet weather

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but effective, 30 Nov 2013
I wanted waterproofs that were light to carry around but effective in heavy rain. I had tried other so called waterproofs but they leaked through. these gore-tex overtrousers are very light and keep me dry. The high zip on the side helps to put on over boots in the rain. The various leg lengths also help in obtaining the right size to fit a shorter person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 16 Oct 2014
Fillet (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Relatively "smart" looking overtrousers that have kept me wholly dry (i.e. without even that slight inner "claminess" you sometimes get with waterproofs) when worn with the corresponding Paclite jacket over my suit on a couple of rain-drenched walks into the office. I have not yet tested them fully in extreme mountainside conditions, but given my previous good experiences with Berghaus and in light of the mild testing they have already received, I have no doubt as to their ability to cope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof enough, very light but toggles at the waist are a pain with a rucksack, 6 Sep 2014
M. Dale - See all my reviews
Served me well on my recent trip and I'm sure for a long time to come. My only small issue seems to common with other such item but it has toggles at the waist on each hip. This may sound like a good idea but most times I will ever use these trousers I will also be carrying a rucksack and the toggles dig in if they are under the hip belt which they seem to be unless I pull the trousers down lower than they should be

1.0 out of 5 stars Will NOT keep you dry, 21 July 2011
Fit: lovely
Look: superb
Pack size: fantastic
Performance: DISMAL!!!

I bought the matching Paclite jacket and trousers but took the 1st set back because they both leaked. Berghaus put it down to a faulty batch.

I happily wore the 2nd pair until the heavens opened - and once again, both the jacket and trousers leaked.

I wore the 3rd set with trepidation until the first rain shower, and once again both the jacket AND trousers leaked.

I have just had a FULL REFUND for these consistently terrible goods.

These products are not fit for purpose - buy with care. But at least the Berghaus customer service will be good when you return your faulty products. Such a shame because everything about these Paclites is great...

Oh, except they don't keep the water out.

Berghaus Men's Paclite Overtrousers