4.0 out of 5 stars Wales' memorable tale
The initial impression of Rhiannon for me was of a game in the vein of 7th Guest or Myst, in that I felt there was something just around the corner waiting to reach out.

Sadly there wasn't. I had worked myself up into a tizzy over nothing, well almost nothing - a few ghosts.

But then it did its job - its a beautifully crafted story with impressive...
Published on 3 Dec 2008 by M. J. Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok...Just who finished this with no help at all?!!!
I was looking forward to this game. I'd played "The Lost Crown" and found that truly spooky and difficult, but enjoyed the puzzles (even though i did have to cheat a bit with a walkthrough to get me through the sticky bits!!)I was lead to believe that this game was of a similar nature, a spooky puzzle game with lovely graphics. Okay it is both of these things but there is...
Published on 27 Jan 2010 by nattyloo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wales' memorable tale, 3 Dec 2008
M. J. Bennett (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

But then it did its job - its a beautifully crafted story with impressive graphics which has been written by a small team and displays a lovely Welsh myth.

On the practical side I like the fact that, thrown into the game, your survival instincts hit in and right from the start you have to forage, gain access, find out whats happening - even the old chestnut - to switch the power on and light a fire. These touches drew me into the envinonment.

My only real criticism is that sometimes objects couldn't be picked up until they were needed in the game - but I'm not told that. I genuinely thought this was a bug, and perhaps an 'inner voice narration' - the 'No, that won't work' line you got in 7th Guest or the Tex Murphy games mightn't have been a bad idea, also a map to jump around the vast grounds.

But these are mere details. This is an impressive, pleasant and captivating game and one worth playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A game out of time, 8 Oct 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is one of the strangest games I've played in a long time. Just think about it for a moment - a point and click adventure game made in 2008 and set in Wales?!? I'm not welsh but I think it's nice to set a game somewhere other than the usual settings of the USA, London etc.

There're lots of nice touches such as when you start the game and you hear a horse but can't see one and you wonder what's going on but a newspaper left on the floor tells you the story of a local "ghost horse" terrorising the area. Upon entering the house you can play back phone messages from a local van driver (complete with Welsh accent!) who's claiming money off you for your horse damaging his van and your wife/girlfriend reminding you about putting a fire on. It's all very day to day stuff and it does really feel like you're in the game.

The big drawback of this game is in it's cofusing navigation. For example, you'll often see a door and want to go to it but you just can't work out how to get to it, even though it's right in front of you, you have to keep walking around in circles to get anywhere. Instead of going from A to B you have to go from A to C to D to E to B and it does get a bit annoying.

Overall this is a great game if you're into UK/Welsh culture and want to step back in time to how games used to be. It can be frustrating to play, the graphics and sound are about 15 years out of date but If you can see beyond those problems then a great adventure is there to be found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun!, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Just completed Rhiannon, really enjoyed it. As well as teaching the player a few things about Welsh folklore, it's easy to play and the setting is amazing - a lovely old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere complete with outbuildings, walled gardens etc.

It's very easy to navigate your way round with the point and click, and quite liked the fact that you could only pick up objects when you needed them - I suggest a pen a paper is needed right from the start to make sure you make a note of where stuff is.

The puzzles are real brainteasers and really interesting - you have to decipher ancient markings/languages and learn about Kirlian photography amongst other stuff. I must admit I did sneak a peak at an online walkthough on occasion but that's mainly because I'm impatient rather than anything else.

Genuinely loved this game, very much in the realm of Barrow Hill but with much more to it and more to see and explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars An adventure game that branches out in its own direction., 19 July 2009
M. M. Deputy "WolfstonsEnd" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Hi all, I hope this review helps toward the desicion in buying this game. If you like point and click adventures then this is an ideal game for you. You play a man called Chris who is asked to look after a house in rural Wales. But strange things are happening and you decide to look into it.
The style of the gameplay makes it feel like YOU, the player, are in the story, as the game is set as a first person perspective. It is a genius concept of playing as every scene you walk into feels real and looks fantastic. I did not know what to expect when purchasing this game, but I am glad I 'branched ' out and bought it. Never a dull moment and solving puzzles is a rewarding experience as some are difficult to figure out.
The game is a joy to play and a bit of a brain teaser. There are a few scares that happen so I won't spoil the suprise. For those who purchase the game, I know you will enjoy the experience it has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game - highly recommended, 18 May 2009
John Hampton "johnofdeath" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
A really good storyline coupled with interesting and challenging puzzles make this one of the best games I've played for a while. A similar atmosphere to Barrow Hill which is another excellent first-person adventure game.

The user interface itself took a bit of getting used to but once I'd got the hang of it - no problems. Although, you can click on many items at the start of the game not all of them can be loaded into your inventory until later in the story when you actually need them and so occasionally I forgot about them and spent time retracing my steps to work out what I'd missed. And although you can often work out which items you need fora task you sometimes can't access tham to you've founnd a particular clue or item.

Graphics and sound are good. A reaonable length too. Highly recommended

Looking forward to the next release from these developers - due out later in 2009.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great celtic mystery, 29 Jan 2009
Peter Rasmussen "tranbjerg1" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was quite pleased with this game. The graphics was good and the interface too. The story was really great and sometimes I had great difficulties getting away from it. The puzzles had an okay difficulty level and thay fitted into the story. I don't like games where you have to solve puzzles where you cannot find any logical reason for doing it. I admit that once or twice I had to look into a walkthrough, but that is all right. One thing frustrated me and this is the reason for not giving a top grade. I prefer to be able to pick up items when I find them. In this game you cannot pick up anything unless you need it, So I did a lot of running around trying to pick up the same items numerous times because it was not always apparent when they became "pick up abled".

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunted by a legend, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have played many games of this type and this is one of the best. I look for a strong storyline with puzzles that are integral to the story and this game succeeds on both counts. I have played several games that are marketed under the Lighthouse Interactive umbrella and the quality varies greatly but if you enjoyed Barrow Hill, you will enjoy this more. As in all games where you play in the first person, you explore a landscape that is deserted by humankind, (except in the best of the Myst series where clips of real actors were inserted). This is explained by the fact that you have been asked by friends to house sit a lonely farmhouse in Wales. It is haunted by an evil spirit but, unlike in some games, you do not see a ghost that makes you burst into sneering laughter at a pathetic attempt to be scary. You just witness strange manifestations and hear scary sounds. The evil spirit from the Welsh legends of the Mabinogion is the only suspension of disbelief required. Otherwise, you do normal house sitter things, like feeding the cat, as you work out how to defeat the evil spirit. Fantasy rooted in everyday reality is what I like. The puzzles are intelligent, inventive and tied closely to the storyline. All credit to the creators, Arberth Studios. I look forward to their next game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed and so nearly worth five stars, 12 Oct 2009
HK Twigg (Romsey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is an excellent, well researched, detailed game. The gameplay is good and the storyline is excellent. The puzzles are fun but in general not so difficult that you're completely stumped. The only niggle I have with it is that it's divided broadly into a number of long term quests, usually a collection of items to find and then sacrifice in a particular place and a particular way. The problem is that it's very difficult to work out without a hint or quick peek at a walkthrough what the next quest involves and what the broad overview of what you have to do next is. If you happen across one of the items for the next quest while you're finishing off the previous one then you tend to be able to work it out, but if you don't, it's almost impossible to work out what's next. That's where it loses a star because I had to look at a walkthrough a couple of times. If I could make it only half a star I would.

Having said that, everything else in the game - the level of detail, the amount of background reading (all in-game, no googling necessary) and the amount of running around that you have to do is just right for an enjoyable adventure that you can lose yourself in - I will definitely be checking out future Arberth Studios offerings. Oh, and one more thing - if you buy the game direct from Arberth through Amazon, you get a little note with it from the authors saying hi and if you get stuck, get in touch, and their contact details. Which I think is a really nice touch. It's definitely one of the best point and clicks I've played and as I'm now in the final stages, I'm limiting how much I play so that I can stretch it out a bit longer, which is definitely a sign of a great game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Welsh Wonder!, 16 Oct 2009
Ms. Katie L. Maylin (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I would def recomend!! Delivery response excellent. The Arbeth studios team seem friendly and proffesional. A fab game that would appeal to any fan of point and click, ghosts, puzzel solving and a littlie backround in Welsh history! This game has been created very well. When you walk around the house and it's grounds, all you hear is your own footsteps and general outdoor activities (such as birds tweeting!) The lack of background music makes you feel like your really there, a part of the spooky, mysterious adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhiannon - Curse of the four branches, 23 Nov 2008
Anita Birkenes "Leo" (Bergen, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It has it all. Thrilling story and a lot of puzzles. You have to learn how to write ancient writing and you realy have to have a creative mind. The celtic setting and the mystery surroudings makes makes you feel like you are in the place. It has alot of places to explore and the setting is so good. I can only hope that the creaters behind the game would make more games like this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD)
Rhiannon: Curse Of The Four Branches (PC DVD) by Arberth Studios (Windows Vista / XP)