on 27 June 2004
For me, this is the pinnacle of Tracey and Ben's work. I just popped it into my CD player for the first time in several years, and it has the same impact on me now as it did when I purchased it in 1988, just two years after its release. The arrangements by Ben are sweeping and chill-inducing. Add Tracey's marvelous, heartbreaking voice, and you have the very best album the duo have ever released. It also brings to mind what a fantastic producer Mike Hedges really is. He also produced my two favorite albums by the Manic Street Preachers ("Everything Must Go" and "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours".

I loved this album so much that I behaved like a crotchety old man when they embraced dance sounds later on, when really, they were simply trying to stretch as any good artist will. I can't pick a favorite track - I'll sing along to this start to finish. But I'll try: "Come On Home", "Cross My Heart", "Don't Let The Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart", "Careless", "Sugar Finney" and "Fighting Talk".

You'd be cheating yourself to pass this up. Along with "Love Not Money" from 1985, this album, for me, represents their golden period. This is a record I'll treasure to the end.
on 9 February 2004
This is the definitive EBTG album. Perfectly rounded and every song shows off Tracy's voice - she truly had the best voice of her generation. Ben's songwriting and arranging skills came of age with this album - the orchestral arrangements are grand but not overbearing. From the trippy 'Don't leave me behind' to the majestic 'Come on home' and on to the most beautiful song they ever recorded, 'Don't let the teardrops (rust your shining heart)', Ben and Tracy give the listener an insight into their skills and provide the perfect setting for low lights, red wine and some great company.
on 17 May 2001
Tracey and Ben have produced numerous tracks and albums over the years, and as time has progressed they have, unfortunately, become more 'pop' oriented. If you want to hear the real EBTG, get Baby The Stars Shine Bright. There isn't a single track on this album that is displeasing. So, open a bottle of wine, put the ansaphone on, turn down the lights and turn up the stereo........definately an album to savour.
on 20 March 2006
I love this album. Tracey Thorn is one of the very best of British female singers, but this is the only EBTG collection where the songs really do justice to the voice. I have tried and tried with the other albums but cannot get past even a couple of tracks, but this is suburb throughout. You will listen to this again and again.
on 7 March 2012
I have been a fan of EBTG for a long time, I have even bought the solo albums and the Marine Girls. I must admit that I have found their work patchy at times, although there has always been something to enjoy on every album. For me their best albums were Eden (defining their style), Walking Wounded (re-defining their style) and Baby the Stars Shine Bright.

The strings on this album are luxurious, the lyrics evocative (it's like Christmas Day without you, it's cold and it's lonely and there's nothing to do) and Tracey's vocal never better. This album is timeless, so treat yourself to something lush.
on 21 November 2012
The some-times the sugary-sweet string arrangements on "Baby, the stars shine bright" can take a little getting used to. But, if you persevere, this album comprises, without reservation, absolute gems. From the sheer brilliance of "Little Hitlers" to the heart rending emotion of "Teardrops" this collection of songs has lasted with me from vinyl through to today; and still gets an airing when I need it.

The lyrics and Tracey's vocals are uniformly exceptional and the melodies without exception are beguiling. If I HAD to choose a single EBTG album to keep and had to bin the others; then this would be it.

Once listened to this collection of songs is unforgettable.
on 14 August 2009
Tracy and Ben have always been one of my faves! And this album just doesnt date! Recorded in the bleak 80's the tunes string arrangements Tracy's voice knocked me for 6!
Fave tracks ummm Don't let the tear trops (The most goregeous song ever) Fighting talk!
on 17 February 2014
The sound is a lot sweeter/ warmer with the violins and orchestra. Therefore different than the other early cd's. Once you have played it you want to hear it over and over again.
on 2 March 2015
Not quite as marvellous as the previous 3, but good nonetheless.
on 27 February 2015
Goods as described, excellent service!