5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Low Light Prime
Published on 29 May 2011 by Steven Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not enough
I bought this lens thinking of a best prime in 50mm but failed to my expectations in some points.
First the autofocus failed 6 out of 10 times when I had to focus on darker areas in room light and some 3-4 out of 10 in lighter areas.
After some use within a year the plate plastic ring just over the lens and below the filter thread came apart and that was a...
Published on 12 Jun. 2013 by A. Metsovas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Low Light Prime, 29 May 2011
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
This is the lens for Low light. You have many options available for 50mm shooting with Nikon but currently this is the fastest (f/1.4) lens they make with autofocus. This is obviously extremely important for low light performance. It has a very accurate silent wave motor for great AF performance. However, be aware that this AF lens is not lightening fast in terms of autofocus. This is due to the extreme accuracy the motor needs to have to pull an image to focus at f/1.4. It's still not "that" slow - for example children running about etc I have no problem getting the shots of my son when he is doing this.

50mm lenses are thought of as a 'standard length' - whatever that really means, however I find that it's a great lens to pop on the camera and take with you anywhere. Not too wide, not too telephoto in that sense.

Compared to the other 50's this is the best and fastest. The 1.8G is slightly newer but I just don't see the point in 1.8 if you can have 1.4. Isn't the main reason we shoot primes - speed and bokeh?

Buy this lens, you will not regret it. Then add an 85mm 1.4!

5.0 out of 5 stars PRIME, 30 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
This is a review from an enthusiast, not a pro. Pros please consult pro reviews!

I was tired of the crummy pictures I was getting from the D40s varizoom kit lens. If, like me, you're photographing family and friends 95% of the time, then a 50mm prime lens will change the way you take pictures.

As a portrait lens it is perfect - the soft focus results you get with wide apertures are far better than I ever got by using the long end of the varizoom. If you need to get wide, just stand back.

And if you're shooting in available light, which we all are, then f1,4 is a necessity if you don't want 5000 bland flashlight photos on your hard drive. The lens delivers beautiful contrast, razor sharp focus where you want it, and creamy soft focus backgrounds. I'm bowled over by the pictures I'm getting out of it. You will never go back to your varizooms.

Build quality: the lens is well made, compact, with a confident auto-focus (that is, it can keep up with my 2 year old, who is in perpetual motion).

There's a lot of direct comparisons with the (actually more expensive) Sigma 1,4. I also tried that lens in the shop, as the salesman assured me that it it was a better piece of glass, but I simply found it heavy and cumbersome by comparison. The Nikon lens is much more smaller, solid without being heavy, and keeps the camera light and quick to use.

Very, very much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars To be creative one must have expressive tools, this is one such tool., 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
When I first acquired my Nikon 50mm 1.4g a few years ago I was a little worried if I had indeed made the right choice, after all I only had reviews to go by and some reviews were a little pessimistic concerning focus issues when the lens was wide open at 1.4
I went ahead with the purchase anyway for low light creative work, weddings, portraiture and for general walk about work, to be honest right now it is the only lens I take out with my d800 when I'm in public places.

50mm is the perfect lens as it is the closest focal length to what our eyes see, connected up to my d800 it can also be used as a zoom, as the d800 images can be cropped right in and I still end up with a large extremely usable image.

For portraiture with the lens set at f2.2 wow :-) all I can say is stunning, wide open at f1.4 the lens is a little soft and lacking in contrast but this can be overcome with careful processing.
Once the aperture opens up to between F3.5 to F8 the lens easily out resolves the sensor on my d800, impressive to say the least.
I find my 50mm to be wonderful for creative portraiture, especially when used for black and white photography with fairly high ISO settings, It is a tool and when used as such and you have learn't its creative ways, you will be most pleased you bought one, trust me :-)
Regards
Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portrait prime lens, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
As a semi-pro photography enthusiast, and after few years with a multi-purpose 18-200mm Nikkor lens with a D200 and D300, I was always searching for my first prime lens that would guarantee sharper focusing for portraits and other artistic capabilities, I was specially interested in achieving good Bokeh effects (blurry backgrounds), with good skin tones and shallow depth of field without simulating those on PhotoShop.

When I read the early reviews of that lens I was eager to get my hands on one in early Dec, especially that I needed to send my 18-200mm for repair which was a good excuse to get and keep the 50mm 1.4g instead of staying with no lens for few weeks.

I am not regretting the decision a bit. The Quality of this fast prime lens is simply SUPERB in comparison to the Nikkor 18-200, with its silent motor it offers amazing narrow depth of field capabilities between 1.4f - 2.2f ! The skin colours are more accurate, the focusing is brilliant for close-ups and portraits; you'll see skin and hair details that you never dreamt of achieving before with other multi-purpose lenses. It took me few days to get the most out of the narrow depth of field but at the end it felt like I've upgraded my D300.

Although it wasn't available on Amazon when I purchased it, this lens is worth every penny and definitely sets new standards for Nikon as a possible bestseller, and is here to stay for a long time. The one feature that I would really liked to have is a VR which could've helped with slower shutter speeds, but even though the feature is missing (for now) I would highly recommend the lens anyway for anyone who is serious about artistic/portrait photography. Go for it and you'll never regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard lens, 6 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
There is a reason thy call the fifty a standard lens. I have always had one on my camera as it is generally cheap, provides good sharp images and are great in low light. The modern idea that we should all have a 'standard zoom' is not one that works for me. Zooms have there place and some are really good but I do not think they will ever replace a good prime. To the case in point. This is my first 1.4 fifty and I can see now what all the fuss is about. It may cost more than the 1.8 version but I feel the cost is justified in the results it produces. Is a a tiny bit soft at 1.4 but improves greatly by f2 and by f2.8 where I generally use it, it is brilliant. Contrast is excellent too and the only time I have had issues with flare i when shooting directly into the sun which is hardly surprising.
One reviewer has made comment that quality is an issue but as he readily admits, he is comparing this lens to an old Nikkor 1.2. This is an unfair comparison as the way lenses were made in the past is vastly different from how they are made today. Metals have largely been replaced by plastic but in the case of this lens I have no reason to believe it will last long time and provide reliable service. It will likely not last a lifetime as some of the old metal Nikkors probably will but it will focus faster and probably more accurately than most folks could focus a 50mm 1.2. In short. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot-on, 8 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
I bought this in my local camera shop, just before Christmas when these were hard to come by. It's not my first prime lens (since I've been taking photographs regularly for over 25 years) but it is my first "fast" one. When I researched it, comments seemed rather mixed, but I eventually decided to get it anyway. I'm using it with an FX-sensor body and can now confirm that it is SUPERB. Used carefully, wide open, it gives wonderful pictures with a razor-thin depth of field. Slightly stopped down (f2.0 - f2.4) it gives great isolation of the subject from the background, with excellent across-the-frame sharpness and no noticeable vignetting. I haven't experienced any problems with focus speed and it always seems to "nail" the focus in real-world use, even at very low light levels (i.e. no obvious back or front focusing issues on my sample!) It's well-made, light, small(-ish for a 50mm prime) and smooth and quiet in use.

Is it worth the money? I can't say - the premium over the 1.8D, or even the 1.4D, is steep (and getting steeper, it would seem.) Is it a joy to use? Yes. Does it nail the shot every time? Yes. Have I taken it off my camera body yet? No (and I do have some other very nice, but slower, lenses.) So, if you want to invest in a fast 50mm lens for Nikon and you have a body that handles "G" lenses, I can certainly recommend this one (although I understand it is not very good for architectural photography, but I can't imagine why you would buy this version for such an application anyway.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb lens, an absolute must for the camera bag, 20 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
I bought this lens to upgrade from the 1.8 AF D. I wondered if there would be much difference, but I wasn't left wondering for long. This is an amazing lens, the DOF at 1.4 is superb as you'd expect, but at f/4 it's as sharp as you could want to see in a lens. The possibilities with this on your body are endless, it truly is an amazing piece of glass and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st prime, 11 May 2013
T. Carlill (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
After talking to a professional photographer, I went for this lens and the results are stunning, even down to f1.4. I highly recommend this to anyone doing portraits or protographing their children (the low f means you can get away without a flash indoors which is great as it avoids distracting them)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Portrait Lens, 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
Bought this from Calumet alongside a D300 and 16-85 VR zoom, specifically for portraits of my young son. The 1.4 fast speed has been invaluable, together with quick focussing and the ability at faster apertures to blur backgrounds. This lens does all of that well, and the results have been stunning.

If you are looking for your first prime, you might (in the DX system) also look at the 35mm f1.8 as well, which is considerably cheaper. I've used both, and whilst there is not much to choose between them this 50mm edges it slightly, particularly in terms of sharpness at higher speeds.

Very Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and Beautiful, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens (Camera)
I upgraded my camera from an APS-C model to full-frame. I was using the 50mm f/1.8 lens with the old camera and decided to change the lens as well. The new one is only a little faster but the difference is noticeable and the depth of field is also a tiny but shallower. You'd expect the f/1.4 to be sharper (it being a lot more expensive) but I can't say I can see any difference and reviews suggest that the f/1.4 has more distortion too.
So was it worth the money I had to pay to exchange it? Probably not but it makes me feel more professional!
Seriously though, the ability to shoot in very low light, get super-fuzzy backgrounds and amazingly sharp pictures gives me a lot of pleasure.

Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens