Catfights and Spotlights
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£1.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 24 October 2008
I love the Sugababes. I believe Keisha is a very strong person for keeping the band so good after two line-up changes, Heidi seems adorable in interviews and I think her voice is the best one, while Amelle has done a deft job of both replacing Mutya while making her own mark in the band as well. These are three very interesting people who once again delivered a quality album.

I thought "Change" was dreadful and I was so happy to hear they had an electro-pop ban when making this album. So what IS here? Well, you have a clutch of lovable party-starters ("Girls", "You On A Good Day", "Hanging On A Star"), some gorgeous ballads ("Sunday Rain", "The Sound of Goodbye") plus some slightly experimental tracks ("Side Chick", "Beware").

Does this sound like the usual SugaTreatment? Well, I should mention one thing: the rawness. The vocals on this album are the Babes' finest so far. All of the voices have matured over the past six albums, and this is probably most noticable on the brilliant "Every Heart Broken".

But is it there best? I do have some problems with it. Being a huge Heidi fan, I was disappointed that she was given notably less to sing then the other girls, especially when she consistantly aced the few lines she WAS given. Also, one thing I love about the Sugababes is how they co-write so many of their own songs, but the writing situation here is worrying: Heidi has one credit, Amelle has two... Keisha has seven!

Overall, a very good album by a talented band. Buy it. But I await a more balanced CD next time.
on 25 December 2008
At last, an album that does justice once more to the girls, and is their best since 'Angels With Dirty Faces' in my opinion. This is by far a much better album than the last two outings, in that the songs are stronger and have more character and bite. There is more control by the girls over their breathing and pitch, with far less sharp intakes of breath before each line, a facet which spoiled the 'Change' album for me in particular. Amelle especially seems much more polished in her performance overall, though that is not to detract from either Keisha or Heidi.

Standout tracks for me are 'Girls', 'You On A Good Day', 'No Can Do', 'Sunday Rain' (why do the opening lyrics on this track remind me of upper-class arthouse movies?), 'Every Heart Broken' and 'Sound of Goodbye'. The best track on the album for me, 'Every Heart Broken' has a wonderfully dark wit about it, which makes me chuckle every time I hear it - what did those boys do wrong?! There isn't a duff track anywhere, not even the two bonus tracks. 'Can We Call A Truce', the impassioned reconciliation plea initally set to strings only is a full fruition of a style of music that was only hinted at on the track 'Undignified' from the last album. I only wish, however, that the producers had had the guts to stick with strings only throughout this song.

This is an album where you don't have to pick and choose your favourite tracks to enjoy the girls' music, it can be played straight through without ever sounding tedious. The girls sound far more at ease with themselves which inevitably rubs off on the listener. It is with a sense of some relief that I am able to write in this manner, as I had thought that the girls had lost the edginess that was evident on the early albums. If they can continue in this manner and take it further to new heights, even in the face of up-and-coming new talent, then we can hope to enjoy their music for many more years to come. That is something that is certainly to be wished.
on 20 October 2008
My initial review of this album wasn't exactly positive, but after a few more listens I have to say I've changed my mind. I've been a Sugababes fan since their first album (which I still maintain was their best) but was hugely disappointed by Change, which I thought was boring, derivative and basically awful. To begin with I found this album much the same, but it's actually really grown on me. It's more experimental than Change, with the less commercial tracks like the slinky Beware (yes, it should have been a Bond theme), the funky Side Chick and the innovative Can We Call A Truce being the best. There are also fantastic ballads in the shape of Unbreakable Heart and Sunday Rain, the latter of which should really have been the next single. Sadly that honour goes to the unimaginative, irritating No Can Do, in which the girls sound like a bad Jackson Five tribute band. The other major clanger is the truly awful Hanging on a Star - another tribute, seemingly to both the Osmonds and SClub Juniours simultaneously! Needless to say that's no good thing.

As for the bonus tracks, the babes have achieved the impossible in getting me to actually like About You Now. If it was up to me this song would always have been a ballad; it's much less cheesy than the original and sounds much more heartfelt and classy when pared down like this. As for Like A Star, there's nothing wrong with it exactly, but as it isn't their song and they don't really do anything new with it I don't see the point of its inclusion. I'd much rather have had another original track, or even nothing at all if I'm honest.

Overall, a much better album than Change. They aren't the Sugababes of old, but this isn't altogether a bad thing. I love their new-found sophistication and the vocals are definitely their best to date - I just wish they'd ditch the pop-by-numbers and come out with another smash like Push the Button.
on 6 February 2009
i ca't believe how many sugababes fans have deserted them with this album!
in the media it was reported that the babes would be turining towards a more hip-hop sound and that was dissapointing to me but it seems that the information was vastly exagerated :)
this album is fantastic but i think that it's suffered from a lack of promotion and bad choice of singles.
Girls and no can do are maybe some of the weakest songs on the album even though they arn't actually weak all the songs are good but there are some amazing classic sugababe style songs on here that i think would have been definate no1's like unbreakable heart, sunday rain and every broken heart.

you get two bonus tracks with this album a beutiful acoustic version of about you know and a fantastic collaboration with taio cruz on his song like a star which is amazing :P

this album is fantastic and better than any of the overhyped albums girls aloud have put out and really shows why the babes are the bigget british girlband out now, i've even come to like amelle as part of the group because her voice just fits but i still enjoy mutya and siobhan donaghy's solo albums to.
It's £3.99 now so just give the babes and this album a chance you won't regret it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just dashing off a quick review as others have said plenty on how good this album is and have gone into individual track listings. I would have given it 5 stars but I literally hate the last bonus track 'She's Like A Star', it is out of place and does not belong on this album.

I honestly believe that the wrong songs were released as singles which definitely affected the sales of the album. 'Girls' and 'No Can Do' are not a good representation of this album in my opinion. I bought it very cheap as I used to like the Sugababes a few years ago and thought I would give it a try. Am I glad I did! I was very surprised at the quality of the songs. Some of the vocals are exemplary and I know they want to be hip etc but their voices really shine on ballads such as 'Sunday Rain' and 'Sound of Goodbye'. For upbeat songs I much prefer 'You On A Good Day' and 'Every Heart Broken'.

Unlike other 'girlbands' you can really tell who is singing what lyric and I am really impressed by new girl Amelle's voice! However distinctive their voices are individually, they all blend together beautifully.

For any Sugababes fans who have fallen by the wayside lately I say this - buy this album and your faith will be restored!!
on 20 January 2009
I live in the United States. I "discovered" the Sugababes a few months ago when I saw a Youtube clip of them performing "No Can Do" on the Paul O' Grady Show. I was blown away by how beautiful they were and how great they sounded live!

So I have heard that this album is not selling well in the UK and I am so disappointed! It is a great CD! You can tell that the girls put their heart and soul into it.

Songs like "You on a Good Day" and "No Can Do" are fun, funky, and have a great old school vibe.

There are also beautiful, beautiful ballads. "Sunday Rain" gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, while "Can We Call a Truce" is absolutely haunting. Amelle's voice is perfection on this song.

Please give this CD a chance! You will enjoy it!
on 12 February 2015
What must Mutya Buena be thinking to herself? Just over three years after she left the Sugababes, the group scored three Top 10 selling albums in the UK, although she did appear on the first of these, the Greatest Hits collection. By contrast, Buena herself has achieved little and has had to resort to going on Celebrity Big Brother to get publicity.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the Sugababes previous studio release, 2007's "Change", but when I heard that they planned to go for a more retro sound on their new album, I was immediately interested. There were rumours of a more old-school r 'n' b sound coming from them with something of a Motown influence that, as a kind of music I've always loved, certainly appealed to me. The album was their lowest charting for a while, still reaching the lower reaches of the Top 10, but not selling nearly as many copies as previous albums, so it seemed that I could have been in a minority when it came to this, or maybe the album wasn't as good as the rumours I'd been hearing made it sound. Either way, I'm curious enough that I had to find out.

Whilst I do believe this is a better album than "Change", the mix of sounds did make it a very patchy experience, especially with the way the track listing was set out. I would have much preferred more of the Motown and funk songs that the album opened with. If there were only going to be the four of them, I think it would have been better to have spread them throughout the album, as having them to start simply built up my expectations to a level the rest of the album was simply unable to compete with.

If you like the Sugababes, this isn't a bad album to try, as it mixes some of their usual sound with something a little different. For that reason, it's worth existing fans taking a look, although it may be the differences that put them off and resulted in the album not selling so well.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
on 8 September 2013
I saw some pretty negative reviews about this album, mainly people stating that the songs all sounded the same. I must admit that's what I thought too; a piano is dominant in the latter two-thirds of the album, making the openings sound similar. However, the songs, after the first few listens began to really attract.
GIRLS A good song; a little manufactured but true to the Sugababe form each verse sounds different according to the Sugababe doing it
YOU ON A GOOD DAY Not exactly club but very relatable
NO CAN DO Very uplifting- just what you need when you're feeling blue
HANGING ON A STAR This is really Heidi's song. Like the good 'ole times she does the third verse and cushions the others' vocals. Kind of a dreamy song.
SIDE CHICK Chorus is very catchy and the rap really glues it together. Amelle's verse is the best; she rattles it off, her husky blues-y voice carrying it off suprisingly well. (if I were to point out a criticism I would say; where's Heidi? She can rap too. Go listen to their Angels With Dirty Faces album and see for yourself!)
UNBREAKABLE HEART Great ballad
SUNDAY RAIN One of my favourites. The harmony is spine-tingling
EVERY HEART BROKEN Possibly my favourite. Despite the notes and lyrics being quite dark, their voices illuminate it. Plus there's the line 'Last boy was a director on a silver screen he went and wrote a slasher flick just for me When he said CUT I took it literally...'
NOTHING'S AS GOOD AS YOU Beautiful, touching song that goes in their 20 best of all time
BEWARE This is Amelle's song, really. Her voice is put to good use with the aggressive backing beat. Again, some stunning harmony.
CAN WE CALL A TRUCE Nice violin o this one. High point: Heidi's verse. It may not be her best singing but her soft voice really fits with the emotional theme of the song.
SHE'S LIKE A STAR I think it should have been placed somewhere else on the album as you're listening to the sombre notes of Can We Call A Truce then suddenly there's a rap-esque beat in your ear. Nonetheless, a pretty cool pop song.
It's a fairly diverse album, and has enough quality so it really deserves at least a 4.5/5 on Amazon. It may not be typical Sugababes stuff 9tough you can hear large traces of it) but its more mature and you can tell their voices are getting stronger and more refined.
So even if you're not a Sugababes fan, buy it. There's at least one track for everyone there, whether you're in love, sick of it or just want a good sing and dance along.
Five out of five stars.
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2008
I did not expect much from this album and of course it turns out to be really good, and one of the Sugababes' best. The songs are all well produced with sharp clear diction to really show off the girls' vocals. There is a nice contrast of tracks and I just love the breezy up-tempo songs that have a real feelgood feel. Very good album.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is actually a really good album. I liked it after first listen. There isnt one bad song on the album. The only problem is the album lacks a strong lead single, there is nothing on the album that stands up well with "push the button" or "about you now". despite this, the album is a highly credible affair so definately worth buying.