4.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY good
Published on 24 Oct 2008 by Sean Gould

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good
There are some catchy songs on this album and it is easy to listen to, I liked the tracks better nearer the end of the album, such as Truce. However, some of the melodies sound really similar and the track about the guy using girls for money is sooo Destiny's Child circa 1999. I listen to the album every now and then but it's nowhere near as good as previous album Change.
Published on 16 Feb 2009 by Butterfly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY good, 24 Oct 2008
Sean Gould - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
I love the Sugababes. I believe Keisha is a very strong person for keeping the band so good after two line-up changes, Heidi seems adorable in interviews and I think her voice is the best one, while Amelle has done a deft job of both replacing Mutya while making her own mark in the band as well. These are three very interesting people who once again delivered a quality album.

I thought "Change" was dreadful and I was so happy to hear they had an electro-pop ban when making this album. So what IS here? Well, you have a clutch of lovable party-starters ("Girls", "You On A Good Day", "Hanging On A Star"), some gorgeous ballads ("Sunday Rain", "The Sound of Goodbye") plus some slightly experimental tracks ("Side Chick", "Beware").

Does this sound like the usual SugaTreatment? Well, I should mention one thing: the rawness. The vocals on this album are the Babes' finest so far. All of the voices have matured over the past six albums, and this is probably most noticable on the brilliant "Every Heart Broken".

But is it there best? I do have some problems with it. Being a huge Heidi fan, I was disappointed that she was given notably less to sing then the other girls, especially when she consistantly aced the few lines she WAS given. Also, one thing I love about the Sugababes is how they co-write so many of their own songs, but the writing situation here is worrying: Heidi has one credit, Amelle has two... Keisha has seven!

Overall, a very good album by a talented band. Buy it. But I await a more balanced CD next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more like it., 25 Dec 2008
At last, an album that does justice once more to the girls, and is their best since 'Angels With Dirty Faces' in my opinion. This is by far a much better album than the last two outings, in that the songs are stronger and have more character and bite. There is more control by the girls over their breathing and pitch, with far less sharp intakes of breath before each line, a facet which spoiled the 'Change' album for me in particular. Amelle especially seems much more polished in her performance overall, though that is not to detract from either Keisha or Heidi.

Standout tracks for me are 'Girls', 'You On A Good Day', 'No Can Do', 'Sunday Rain' (why do the opening lyrics on this track remind me of upper-class arthouse movies?), 'Every Heart Broken' and 'Sound of Goodbye'. The best track on the album for me, 'Every Heart Broken' has a wonderfully dark wit about it, which makes me chuckle every time I hear it - what did those boys do wrong?! There isn't a duff track anywhere, not even the two bonus tracks. 'Can We Call A Truce', the impassioned reconciliation plea initally set to strings only is a full fruition of a style of music that was only hinted at on the track 'Undignified' from the last album. I only wish, however, that the producers had had the guts to stick with strings only throughout this song.

This is an album where you don't have to pick and choose your favourite tracks to enjoy the girls' music, it can be played straight through without ever sounding tedious. The girls sound far more at ease with themselves which inevitably rubs off on the listener. It is with a sense of some relief that I am able to write in this manner, as I had thought that the girls had lost the edginess that was evident on the early albums. If they can continue in this manner and take it further to new heights, even in the face of up-and-coming new talent, then we can hope to enjoy their music for many more years to come. That is something that is certainly to be wished.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Change, 20 Oct 2008
Miss Claire L. Morrell (Midlands, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
My initial review of this album wasn't exactly positive, but after a few more listens I have to say I've changed my mind. I've been a Sugababes fan since their first album (which I still maintain was their best) but was hugely disappointed by Change, which I thought was boring, derivative and basically awful. To begin with I found this album much the same, but it's actually really grown on me. It's more experimental than Change, with the less commercial tracks like the slinky Beware (yes, it should have been a Bond theme), the funky Side Chick and the innovative Can We Call A Truce being the best. There are also fantastic ballads in the shape of Unbreakable Heart and Sunday Rain, the latter of which should really have been the next single. Sadly that honour goes to the unimaginative, irritating No Can Do, in which the girls sound like a bad Jackson Five tribute band. The other major clanger is the truly awful Hanging on a Star - another tribute, seemingly to both the Osmonds and SClub Juniours simultaneously! Needless to say that's no good thing.

As for the bonus tracks, the babes have achieved the impossible in getting me to actually like About You Now. If it was up to me this song would always have been a ballad; it's much less cheesy than the original and sounds much more heartfelt and classy when pared down like this. As for Like A Star, there's nothing wrong with it exactly, but as it isn't their song and they don't really do anything new with it I don't see the point of its inclusion. I'd much rather have had another original track, or even nothing at all if I'm honest.

Overall, a much better album than Change. They aren't the Sugababes of old, but this isn't altogether a bad thing. I love their new-found sophistication and the vocals are definitely their best to date - I just wish they'd ditch the pop-by-numbers and come out with another smash like Push the Button.

5.0 out of 5 stars GIVE THIS ALBUM A CHANCE!, 6 Feb 2009
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
i ca't believe how many sugababes fans have deserted them with this album!
in the media it was reported that the babes would be turining towards a more hip-hop sound and that was dissapointing to me but it seems that the information was vastly exagerated :)
this album is fantastic but i think that it's suffered from a lack of promotion and bad choice of singles.
Girls and no can do are maybe some of the weakest songs on the album even though they arn't actually weak all the songs are good but there are some amazing classic sugababe style songs on here that i think would have been definate no1's like unbreakable heart, sunday rain and every broken heart.

you get two bonus tracks with this album a beutiful acoustic version of about you know and a fantastic collaboration with taio cruz on his song like a star which is amazing :P

this album is fantastic and better than any of the overhyped albums girls aloud have put out and really shows why the babes are the bigget british girlband out now, i've even come to like amelle as part of the group because her voice just fits but i still enjoy mutya and siobhan donaghy's solo albums to.
It's £3.99 now so just give the babes and this album a chance you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
Just dashing off a quick review as others have said plenty on how good this album is and have gone into individual track listings. I would have given it 5 stars but I literally hate the last bonus track 'She's Like A Star', it is out of place and does not belong on this album.

I honestly believe that the wrong songs were released as singles which definitely affected the sales of the album. 'Girls' and 'No Can Do' are not a good representation of this album in my opinion. I bought it very cheap as I used to like the Sugababes a few years ago and thought I would give it a try. Am I glad I did! I was very surprised at the quality of the songs. Some of the vocals are exemplary and I know they want to be hip etc but their voices really shine on ballads such as 'Sunday Rain' and 'Sound of Goodbye'. For upbeat songs I much prefer 'You On A Good Day' and 'Every Heart Broken'.

Unlike other 'girlbands' you can really tell who is singing what lyric and I am really impressed by new girl Amelle's voice! However distinctive their voices are individually, they all blend together beautifully.

For any Sugababes fans who have fallen by the wayside lately I say this - buy this album and your faith will be restored!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Underrated Gem from the Sugababes! Amazing CD!, 20 Jan 2009
G-Man (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
I live in the United States. I "discovered" the Sugababes a few months ago when I saw a Youtube clip of them performing "No Can Do" on the Paul O' Grady Show. I was blown away by how beautiful they were and how great they sounded live!

So I have heard that this album is not selling well in the UK and I am so disappointed! It is a great CD! You can tell that the girls put their heart and soul into it.

Songs like "You on a Good Day" and "No Can Do" are fun, funky, and have a great old school vibe.

There are also beautiful, beautiful ballads. "Sunday Rain" gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, while "Can We Call a Truce" is absolutely haunting. Amelle's voice is perfection on this song.

Please give this CD a chance! You will enjoy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits the mark, 12 Nov 2008
Sunglasses - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
I did not expect much from this album and of course it turns out to be really good, and one of the Sugababes' best. The songs are all well produced with sharp clear diction to really show off the girls' vocals. There is a nice contrast of tracks and I just love the breezy up-tempo songs that have a real feelgood feel. Very good album.

4.0 out of 5 stars really good album, 27 Oct 2008
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
This is actually a really good album. I liked it after first listen. There isnt one bad song on the album. The only problem is the album lacks a strong lead single, there is nothing on the album that stands up well with "push the button" or "about you now". despite this, the album is a highly credible affair so definately worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars They keep getting better!, 27 Oct 2008
Catfights and Spotlights

After the release of 'Girls' I wasn't really expecting a decent album from the girls. I'm glad I've been pleasantly surprised though! My track by track review is below.

1. Girls - One of the worst songs recorded by the 'babes.

2. You On A Good Day - Best song on album and marks a change of direction for the girls.

3. No Can Do - A good, catchy track but nothing special.

4. Hanging On A Star - Like this, it's a grower.

5. Side Chick - Second best on album. Hopefully released as a single.

6. Unbreakable Heart - Heartfelt uptempo ballad, a nice song.

7. Sunday Rain - Good backing music and well-sung lyrics.

8. Every Heart Broken - Uptempo and dancy song.

9. Beware - Third best on album. Possibly a single.

10. Nothing's As Good As You - Pop perfection. A typical 'babes song.

11. Sound Of Goodbye - Steady ballad, nothing special.

12. Can We Call A Truce - Strong track and meaningful lyrics.

13. About You Now (Acoustic) - Nice version. Could be a bit longer.

14. She's A Star - A good collaboration between Taio and the girls.

Overall, a good follow-up to the last year's dismal 'Change'.
I hope the Sugababes continue to make pop music of this kind for years to come. They are the best girlband around at the moment. Carry on girls!

5.0 out of 5 stars ^_^, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Catfights and Spotlights (Audio CD)
It's a sexy, Classy, Stylish, Unique and well thought out album.

Side Chick, Can We Call A Truce, Every Heart Broken and You On A Good Day is are the best songs. No Can Do is also amazing as well. I think Can We Call A Truce should have been a single. Beautiful lyrics, vocals and songs in this album. Flawless.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Catfights and Spotlights
Catfights and Spotlights by Sugababes (Audio CD - 2008)