Format: DVD|Change

on 30 January 2009
I don't care what anyone says, if you're a fan of the show, you'll enjoy this film. I was fascinated to see what had happened to Scully and Mulder's relationship, and I was pleased with the result. The story is intense, but still conveys that 'episode' feel. It's not as 'glamourous' as the first film (Fight the Future), but quite scary and real all the same....and I loved the ending!

My one criticism, although not with the film, is that the makers made the show a bit 'silly' towards the end...but that was dealt with (or ignored) very well in this film. The backstory regarding 'William' for example was very sensitive. I enjoyed it, and would like to see more.
on 21 December 2008
The new x files movie is certainly worth renting whilst there is a paranormal connection in Billy connolly's psychic 'powers' the rest of the movie is routed in 21Sst century scientific issues this means it doesn't descend into the usual Hollywood hokum.

Mulder and Scully's relationship has moved on but it's a shame that the script doesn't see them interact a little more as for a lot of the movie they inhabit different spheres and they don't share much screen time together. The movie is good and whilst I was afraid the performances might be wooden I was proved wrong. Entertaining.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 November 2013
`The X-files: I Want to Believe' was the second big screen tie-in to be spawned from the excellent TV series. However, if failed to set the box office alight and also was met with a lukewarm reaction from the fans (of which I am one). I loved all nine series of the sci-fi drama, tuning in each week to watch the two FBI agents, Mulder and Scully, as they tracked down one supernatural mystery after the next.

As I mentioned, the X-files went on for a colossal nine series, covering everything from alien abduction, to pyrokinesis and artificial intelligence. Therefore, it was fair to say that it had a rich (supernatural) background from which to build on. Fans naturally expected it to somehow continue from the end of the ninth series (concentrating on the conspiracy between sinister alien forces and a splinter-cell of the American government to take over the world). However, it didn't.

The second X-files movie is a very condensed little piece which, although uses the main characters, doesn't really feel much like part of the series. It's a stand-alone affair which, amazingly (and in some people's opinion - unforgivably), doesn't really have that much to do with the paranormal. Yes, there's a priest who has psychic powers, but that element feels pretty underutilised during the whole story.

What you have here, rather than a film which is very much sci-fi/conspiracy (keeping in tone with the series), is one which is - almost - a standard FBI vs Serial killer movie. You could almost have removed the small psychic element and simply had Scully and Mulder hunt down someone harvesting body parts.

I'm tempted to say that, if you like the series, you'll like this, but most people didn't. I didn't either the first time I watched it. I expected something big and loud and filled with aliens and double-crossing. What I got was something smaller and more subtle. Now I've seen it a second time, I like it a little more. But, as many said about Star Trek 9: Insurrection, it felt more like an extended TV episode rather than a cinematic vehicle to re-launch the X-files onto a new generation. So, if you like cops tracking down serial killer type movies then you'll probably like this. It's not bad, it's just not what I and many other die-hard X-files fans were expecting (I'd still be first in line if they ever announced an `X-files 3' movie though!).
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2008
Being an x-file fan since the very beginning, (I have all 9 seasons on DVD, and they are still available at a great price)I was looking forward to seeing the new version especially since it is on Blu-Ray format.

It is a genuine reminder of what the x-files meant to millions of fans around the world. A priest with a dubious background(Billy Connolly) is helping the FBI to find a missing FBI agent. He ends up frustrating the other agents (and the audience many who found the story a bit difficult to follow) during his many failed attempts, leaving agents Scully more sceptical than ever, and a bearded Mulder who hasnt lost his ability to "see through" a person or situation in order the find answers, after all isn't "The Truth Out There"?

It does end in a rather bizarre scenario which I won't reveal here of course.

It is good to see Mulder and Scully back together again, a little older, but are they any the wiser? It is also good to see that the friendship which had grown between them over the years hasn't diminished.

The movie however, is rather slow and empty during the first part, although it does end rather well. I would have thought that there would have been a lot more references to the earlier x-file cases, indeed Assistant Director Walter Skinner does not appear until the final 20 minutes or so. Still, it's a worthwhile effort, although it won't go down as one of their better cases. There have been far better 2 parters in the past (Disclosure; Two Fathers, One Son; Dreamland etc)

The Blu-Ray presentation is quite well done, although some critics have pointed out that the picture quality is questionable in some scenes. There are numerous extras which will please the fans, and the audio soundtrack is very good.

A good buy though if you can put up with the first part of the movie which lacks suspense.
on 26 November 2008
Once again we are treated to another extended episode of the X-Files. It's been around 6 years since we saw the finale disapointing episode.
That's not being harsh, it's just my own opinion of the last episode being largely cobbled together with clips of this fantastic show's entire run.
I was so nervous on my way to the cinema. I wanted so much to see that the show's creator, Chris Carter had got back on the right train and was heading down the right track after the over complicated show's mythology lost it's way during the last few seasons.
I wasn't disapointed. This film is awesome. If you have read the books, Ground Zero, Goblins, Whirlwind & the excellent Antibodies that really captured what was best about the series, then you'll get a good idea of the tone of this movie. It too is slow paced, intelligent and critics fail to mention the little fun in jokes too.
Billy Connoly is brilliantly cast and the Mulder/Scully relationship is further explored. I loved this film. It took me right back to season 2, my favorite season of the show & and it just felt so authentic.
John Doggett & Monica Ryes who later joined the cast and had a few excellent episodes of their own during the last two seasons, should be given their own spin off movie in my opinion, because everything you could hope for was here in this excellent movie except for them.
Hint like crazy to your family so they'll buy it you for Christmas (that was a hint to my family in case they read this, lol) enjoy it & don't forget to check out the little extra scene after the credits. I was, and still remain a huge fan of the x-files.
Can't wait for the next one. Welcome back Mulder and Scully. We missed you.
on 22 September 2008
Having Mulder and Scully back together on screen is an immense thing for any X Files fan and it is great to see them together again.

Whether or not you will like this film will depend on what you watched the show for. If you liked the M/S relationship then I think you'll be pleased, if you like the normal run of the mill episodes then again you will like this. However if you liked the big, mythology episodes that spent loads of money and were full of action then the chances are you'll find this film a tad disappointing.

The film is really an extended episode (the complete opposite of the first film, which took real advantage of the big movie budget) and it kind of trundles along at a mediocre pace. I also think the main plot was a little weak. Another main problem was that as it had been so long since the show was on TV that it now had to appeal to a whole new generation of cinema goers as well as the hardcore fans - something which I don't think it did succesfully.

So, many of you might be surprised that I have given it a 4 star reveiw. Although the film is missing some characters from the series and the plot develops slowly it is a very creepy, clever thriller and I actually enjoyed it. Billy Connolly is OUTSTANDING. I would recommend it to any X Files fan just so they can continue Mulder and Scully's story and look out for all the little references to the series.
on 28 November 2008
I think the biggest problem with this movie has nothing to do with the movie itself. Sky high expectations were the real problem. This movie really does deserve to be judged on it's own merits.

After my first viewing of this movie I was somewhat disappointed. Like many X-Files fans I was expecting a big budget block buster continuation of the alien invasion mythos storyline. Instead we got a little self-contained story that kind of lacks that "big screen" feeling. In fact, in a number of ways, it feels more like an ordinary episode of the X-Files. But on subsequent viewings I began to appreciate it more and more, and eventually began to warm to it and like it a lot. It may not be the movie everyone wanted, but it does have a charm all of it's own. In my opinion it is a worthy addition to the X-Files.
on 1 June 2009
I'm not a big X files fan, but I liked the first film so decided to give this a try. Its pretty decent actually, with more of a realistic feel to it than some of the silly chasing aliens stories that appeared in the series. There are some supernatural moments in this, but on the whole it is down to good old fashioned detective work.

As I usually say, if you are in doubt because of the negative reviews give it a try for yourself you may even like it.
on 31 May 2011
If you took out Mulder and Scully, you would have no idea that this is an X Files film.

For some inexplicable reason, after building up a mythology over the years, as well as some solid characters with interesting relationships that we actually cared about, Chris Carter (or someone disguised as him) has taken pretty much all of these elements out of the story, leaving us with a thriller that's one step above teen fan fiction and two steps below a Sunday afternoon TV movie.

Before I descend into a rant (I consider myself a hardened X Files fan, at least up until the 8th series), I'll talk about the plot.

Mulder and Scully are no longer FBI agents - Mulder has gone into hiding, living in a log cabin amidst cut outs of paranormal news reports and doing his own research into the unexplained. Scully is now just a doctor, practising at a Catholic hospital and currently dealing with a young boy suffering from a serious degenerative brain disease. She is contacted by the FBI who want Mulder's help tracing a missing FBI agent. The reason? They think the only way they can find the missing agent is by using the help of a convicted paedophile priest who has visions that may lead them to her. There is a race against time to find the agent as well as another young woman who has been abducted. Mulder wants to believe and help with the case, but Scully is her usual skeptical self.

On the surface, this sounds like a pretty solid standalone episode of the series, but unfortunately there are many things working against it. To start with the good points:

1) The sexual tension between Mulder and Scully has changed now, as they are now living together as an actual couple. However, you still get a sense of the tenderness they have for one another, without them being all over each other in every scene.

2) A.D. Skinner makes a welcome (if slightly ad hoc) appearance towards the end of the film

3) Billy Connolly turns in a good performance as the priest

4) The special effects are convincing

5) This is entirely self-indulgent, but Mulder is topless in one scene (thought I'd mention it as I wanted to know before I watched the film!)

Now the bad points (you might want to get a cup of tea/coffee for this):

1) What on Earth has happened to Scully. Far from the professional, unflappable investigator she once was, she is now an emotional, hormonal wreck who bears her Catholic cross a little too literally. If she isn't moping about the hospital or scowling at people, she's crying or shouting at Mulder or the priest. In fact, she is so ineffectual, she jeopardises the investigation due to her own selfish motives, and then goes to pieces when she can't find Mulder - something that happened frequently during the series but now apparently renders her incapable of thinking or doing anything rational.

2) Without giving too much away, the missing agent's abductors are kidnapping a certain type of person. Why only this particular kind of person, or indeed why they are doing the things that they are doing, is never explained, and not in a "to be continued" X Files way either. My feeling is that there was an explanation, but for whatever reason it was cut out, or that the writing is just very, very lazy. I have read the script, watched the film and even read the novelisation, but none of these give any clue as to the villains' motivation.

3) Who on Earth cast Billy Connolly. I said he turns in a good performance, but he was also very, very distracting and took away from the realism of everything else. Perhaps he's not as well known in the States, but I couldn't get my head around him being a paedophile priest in an X Files film - he has not had enough serious movie roles to make you see him as anything other than a standup comedian.

4) There are so many plot holes. Aside from the one alluded to in 2), if the FBI think Scully knows where Mulder is, does it not occur to them to check her home address to see if he's living there?

5) There is no tension to speak of. This is supposed to be a race against time, instead it's a succession of people talking or arguing in various locations (most of them barren snowy tundra), with the occasional cut to a strange warehouse where the kidnappers are doing their thing, which makes very little sense until later in the film.

To sum up, all of the aspects that made The X Files so successful have been stripped away - there is no tension, sexual or otherwise, between the characters or in terms of what is going to happen; the main characters, bar Mulder (and not just for the topless scene) are either irritating or instantly forgettable; the wrong parts of the plot are left unexplained, and the setting consists of a dusty wooden barn or endless icy tundra.

I wanted to watch this film out of loyalty as an X Files fan, but I really regret having done this, as it dismantles everything the series set up, particularly the characters, and presents a below average story that could have featured any old investigators. I wouldn't recommend this to an X Files fan, and definitely not to a newcomer to the series or saga, as it is could not be further from what The X Files is all about.

If you want to see Mulder and Scully in a movie length feature, the first film Fight the Future was significantly better and much more true to the series - it actually continues the story. Only watch this if you are absolutely desperate to see what has happened since the end of the final series, but even then it might be better to keep the nostalgic memories you have rather than ruin them with this dross.
This film is best described as an enjoyable fairly routine X Files episode minus the sci fi, but writ big.

The chemistry between David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) is still there even if a little tarnished, I was not convinced by the emotions in the renewed relationship, or their later careers; Mulder living in isolation merely recording X Files stories, and Scully as a Doctor in a Catholic medical institution, her obsession with curing a young boy of a rare terminal brain disorder has little relevance to the plot.

The most successful character is Father Joseph Crissman very well portrayed by Billy Connolly, a paedophile catholic priest in an institution, but as paedophilia has no part in the plot this also seems slightly irrelevant unless it is to cast doubt on everything he says.

The only original X Files character to appear in a very small role right at the end is Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi), although much is made in the commentary about original characters in silent supporting roles.

Best thought of as an entertaining evenings viewing, but adding very little to the X Files heritage.