Size: 67 mm|Change

on 10 December 2009
The moment I unpacked this filter from Hoya's HD (High Density) range, I knew that the money had been well spent. This filter is truly superior quality and it is immediately apparent. The metal ring is slim and has a strong, solid feel to it, and its low profile means it does not interfere with wide angles or lens hoods.

The glass is thin and utterly flawless, and the multiple coatings shun any sort of contaminant very quickly. Blowing on the glass to remove dust specks you can see your breath condense momentarily before immediately evaporating off again. Grease and dirt disappear in seconds when a lens cloth or LensPen is used (also reviewed).

The HD glass is very strong but also light. There are several videos on the web which show how these filters can be smacked against the corner of a desk without breaking. I have not elected to test this myself, but it does give me confidence that the valuable front element of my lens is better protected with an HD filter.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2009
I've used Hoya filters for quite a while now. I was previously using the Pro-1 models, and was generally very happy with their filtering qualities, but had problems keeping them smear-free. Enter the HD - these things are very well constructed and nicely hefty. The coating also works very well, and they are extremely non-reflective. They are just a cut above the construction of the Pro-1 filters. They also have the dual benefits of being very tough - offering improved protection over standard filters to your valuable front element - and most of all, they have a non-stick coating which just keeps smudges and dust off them so much more easily, often dust can just be blown off with a puffer, which usually wasn't enough with the standard filters. After getting one for my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR, I've traded up across all my lenses. Highly recommended.
on 3 May 2011
I've used Hoya UV filters on all of my lenses for quite a while, normally I get the PRO1 Digital filters but given that there was very little in the price between the PRO1 and the HD I thought I'd try the HD this time. I'm not quite sure at the moment if that was quite the right choice.

The quality of the filter itself is without doubt, it ts very well made, comes in a sturdy round case and screws in nicely. What does concern me (and most people will normally find this a bonus) is that the depth of the front screw part of the ring is very shallow, this has two problems, one the lens cap has less to grip onto and two, I think the back of the lens cap actually touches the glass when the cap is on the filter. My Nikon lens caps have slight raised portions on the back and I think this may have made a tiny mark on the filter. For this reason I'm only giving this filter four stars instead of 5. The Tokina lens cap I have on my 12-24 does not have the same problem so I'll probably swap the filters round. This filter should be fine on a wide angle lens as there should be little chance of vignetting with the shallow filter ring depth.
on 16 September 2009
Vastly less flare and reflection, the difference to even decent quality filters is surprising. Low profile, OK on wide angle lens. Pricey, but recommended.
on 15 June 2010
The coatings really work. The filter wipes dry easily and quickly. I use a Viking microfibre cloth for for this sort of thing and finish with a lens tissue. For immediate field use I cannot discern any difference between having the filter in place or not - there is no loss of definition, and the protection it gives is comforting. The UV effect is very good - without appearing artificial - as my last one did. A very impressive product at a good price.
on 5 November 2010
Hi , compared to the cheapo filter I had on before this is an absolute pleasure.
Removing the cheapo one felt like the filter and lens were threaded stiff and gritty !
Putting the Hoya on was like a hot knife through butter so smoooth . The case it comes in is a thing of beauty and ergonomic design .
Trying the cheapo again confirmed it was the filter and nothing to do with the lens .
Perfect faultless focusing , sharp contrasty pictures , and hopefully mega good protection but I will not be knocking scraping or dirtying the filter on purpose to test its advertised extra strength and resilience !!!!!!!

Nikon D300 + 18mm to 200mm
Just get one
Michael
BRYHER
on 17 April 2012
I bought the Hoya HD Digital UV filter for my replacement Nikon 16-85mm lens, I don't use it for its UV or Haze reducing effect, but to protect the front element of the lens. There is great debate about whether to use porotective filters or not, the purists claim that protective filters degrade the picture. A few years ago I irrepairably damaged a lens without a filter, so I've used one ever since. It's true that if you use a cheap filter in front of a lens there will be some degredation of the image as well as some contrast loss and colour change, but anyone placing a £5 filter infront of a lens costing many hundreds of pounds would deserve problems. I have exhaustively tried to notice a difference between pictures taken with a filter against those taken without, you would need super eyesight to spot any difference, I certainly haven't noticed any. Hoya claim benefits of this filter over their less expensive Digital Pro UV filter which I have on other lenses and had on my previous Nikon 16-85 lens, I personally can't spot any difference, both are excellent, so whether it's worth paying a few pounds extra for this HD version, I doubt. This filter is ultra thin, it doesn't cause vignetting at all, it does have a scratch resistant and dirt repelling coating which is said to keep it cleaner, longer than the Pro Digital UV so that may be worth a few pounds extra. If you intend using a protective filter, or if you're new to DSLR photography I would strongly advise it, at least until you're used to handling the camera, a sticky thumb print on your new lens glass can be very upsetting, the Hoya UV filter is an excellent choice.
on 8 June 2015
The use of lens filters seems to be a contentious subject amongst photographers. Their proponents claim they offer useful protection for lenses; their detractors claim they degrade image quality.

I'm very much in the former category: I keep a filter on my lenses at all times to protect them. When you're paying £1k+ for lenses, spending an extra £50 or so on a piece of hardened glass to prevent the front element from being scratched or marked seems like a no-brainer to me. It's worth also mentioning that many modern lenses have advanced coatings on the front elements which can be damaged by salty sea spray and the like, so even if you aren't likely to scratch the front, it's still worth protecting.

The image quality argument may well be true with low-end cheap filters, but this is where these filters come in: I've yet to find any loss in IQ with the high-end Hoya filters. There are probably better filters: the B+W filters have an excellent reputation, but they're often close to £150 for larger front element diameters. The Hoya range offer a good balance between performance and price.
on 17 November 2013
Bought this to give protection to a 12-40mm Olympus Pro lens having not come across the HD branding before. The packaging is pleasingly slick and secure, but the filter itself is - curiously for a thing as functional as a UV filter - a thing of beauty. The glass itself is noticeably thinner than the standard filters that I have previously used, and it claims to have superior light transmission. I can well believe it, and it certainly "looks the part" while protecting my lens. I have not seen any deterioration in the quality of my images, and there has been no evidence of flaring or vignetting etc. that could be ascribed to the filter. Most importantly the lens cap still grips securely with the filter in place.
Visual inspection would suggest that this is a superior filter, and you can find it relatively cheaply if you take time to shop around. I will be looking to use these HD filters as I expand my lens system into the future. To me, they are a cut above.
on 20 February 2011
I purchased this HD (heavy Duty) lens filter to replace my Canon version (dodgy becuase it said it was made in Phillipines)and have never looked back. The filter is sturdy, very well coated to reduce glare (as happened with the (fake?) Canon version) and has an appearance and weight that suggests 'quality'. I would positively recommend these filters and have since replaced all my range (incl. Canon Japan and USA made)with the same 'HD' type!