5.0 out of 5 stars Probably today's best filters
The HD series are the best filters Hoya makes and Hoya makes excellent filters. Multicoating is already superb for the SHMC and PRO 1 Digital series which are very thin yet strong filters with excellent transmsission properties and glass planarity. The HD grade claims extra hardened, stronger glass and scratch resistant/oleophobic coatings.

The latter reduces a...
Published on 22 Jan. 2011 by Alvis

3.0 out of 5 stars No bad points in picture quality or filter quality itself
doe's the job, but pricey. I have half the money filters from other companies, and they look and do the same. No bad points in picture quality or filter quality itself... but as I said, a bit overpriced. (use it on canon 70-200 F/2,8 IS )
Published 5 months ago by photographer

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably today's best filters, 22 Jan. 2011

The latter reduces a bit the likelyhood of leaving fingerprints, and certainly makes the filters easier to clean. For most lenses these filters are a bit of an overkill, just because of the already excellent SHMC and PRO 1 Digital Series. However at 52 mm the difference in price on the market is small.

For pro lenses and/or heavy use the hardened glass and coatings does well justify in my view the HD protectors.

For the polarising filters however the HD grade filters are truly a step up. I noticed exceptionally low light attenuation, reduced vignetting (still present however when cascaded onto other filters) and I love the operation which is extremely silky and smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Filter, 17 Oct. 2009
I bought this filter for my new 17-55mm 2.8 nikkor lense to protect it as I'm a pet photograapher. I'm really impressed with the quality, so much so that I have decided to purchase the same filter in different sizes for my other lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya Filter, 17 July 2010
Stephen Crawford (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Not the cheapest filters you can buy but that's obvious when you remove it from the protective case. Ultra thin and strong metal holder feels expensive and the toughened glass makes it money well spent. Haven't tried it at length yet but real glad my macro lens has now got top drawer protection. Amazon discount also made it a much more attractive buy. Recommend item and seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars 77mm Protector for Canon lens, 15 Jan. 2010
Hoya filters are in my opinion excellent value for money.
They are certainly worth fitting,in this instance to offer protection to the 10-22 canon wide-angle lens, & obviously cheaper to replace than a new lens!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Procter great price, 12 Dec. 2012
Great quality product. Protect the lens without reducing picture quality. Double screw thread is very useful for adding second filter e.g. colour or ND, without the need remove this protective lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya Filter Quality Outstanding, 21 Aug. 2011
I always use a Protector Filters on my lenses,not UV to guard against dirt and water marks since I do not believe in cleaning the front lens element unless it is absoluteley necessary. It is much cheaper to replace q filter than a scratched lens. Having previously used Hoya Pro 1 filters I thought I would try their HD filter. These are better optically and manufactured from tougher glass and dust and moisture is more easily removed from their surface.

Hoya Pro1 filters are good but these are even better. I have bought other makes of filter but always come back to purchasing those made by Hoya. I know they are mor expensive but well woth the money if you want to care for your lens optics.

I would advise anyone to check out the Hoya website and search google if you are at all not sure. Personally I can only highly recommend them if you wish to take care of your equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars hoya filter 58mm, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hoya 58mm HD Digital Protector Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
lovely piece of glass, much better than others I have used, really clear and so far has stayed cleaner than others too. Glad I paid a little bit more, well worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Scratch resistant? nahhh. Fingerprint resistant? nahhhh. Tough? I've yet to see., 21 May 2013
Well basically I bought this filter from Amazon the other day, seems to be genuine.
I like the image it provides, there is seriously no noticeable loss of quality from using this lens! That's a plus one for the filter at least, however somehow on the FIRST TIME USING IT I've managed to get a scratch on the lens, although on this occasion I did accidently put it in my pocket with some loose change for a few seconds (idiot).

It also doesnt seem to be very "fingerprint resistant" as I have had to wipe it multiple times now, and it picks up more dust than my uncoated tiffen filters if anything.
Maybe I got a dud, I don't know, but judging from the (I will happily admit this) SUPERB image quality, I think not.

Take my review with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day if you're careful with this you should be fine, however don't believe all the hype about it being so scratch and fingerprint resistant because at the end of the day if you think its some miracle filter you're gonna end up breaking it just by treating it as if its made from solid oak. Just my two cents.

I give it four stars and not less because the image quality is simply staggeringly good, I will only use this in crappy conditions though, as I believe the best lens is an uncovered one.

EDIT: In the end, I had to change this review to 5 stars. I feel perhaps I was a bit harsh considering I went so far as to put it in a pocket full of bloody change, so I can't fault the Hoya on such an extreme beating. Furthermore, it is just a tiny, barely noticeable chip.

Admittedly, it smudges rather easily, and they don't seem to be easy to clean off. I spent a good five minutes rubbing at it the other day, and was quite worried for the coatings. I truly did believe I would have rubbed them off, delicate as they are. Upon testing it however, it seems to be 110% intact, and hasn't suffered any loss in performance. If there is any, it must be invisible to the human eye because I simply do not see it there (even in the most extreme of crops).

I have had time to run more significant tests with it, and I will say when shooting directly into light sources such as the sunset and electric lights, it does suffer from reflections, however even without the filter I found this to be the case (although to a lesser degree), and this is generally unavoidable.

Generally though, and this is why I felt the need to change my review to one of five stars, I found this filter to be INVISIBLE. It simply doesn't show when you are not shooting direct into bright light sources, and even at the most extreme crops you can not tell you are using a filter. I have put pictures up showing this. It is truly the best of the best in filters, and if you have concerns about using a filter on big expensive lenses, I would recommend you cast them aside if you plan on shooting in mucky conditions, as this is truly worth it in terms of protection and you will not loss any quality conceivable to the human eye. If you are not shooting in mucky or dangerous conditions then... well... why bother?

In my opinion this brilliant little piece of glass is money will spent, and compared to other pieces I simply could not help but give it five stars in spite of the fact that it does in fact smudge easily and does scratch relatively easily in spite of Hoya's claims. It is simply invisible and does not affect the final image of your photography in simply any way, and should be an addition to every photographers camera bag in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good quality filter to protect the lens., 7 Jun. 2014
I am of the school that prefers to use a filter to protect my lens. I am not so keen on lens hoods (if flare is a problem I change position or use a screen ie my hand!). However I find the B+W (MRC Nano) and Hoya HD to be very similiar in terms of optical quality, compare either of them to a cheaper filter and you can easily see the optical benefits of a good Hoya / B+W filter. I usually buy the Hoya HD for cheaper lenses, I realise that some would consider the HD range "overkill" but the better coatings do pay off with regard to cleaning. So all in all I am happy with the Hoya HD range of filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, 11 Mar. 2014
tes (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Perfectly clear, high quality product, protects £600 lens glass but doesn't interfere at all with image.
Lens hood still attaches exactly the same.