I bought this HD Circular Polariser (CPL) after having used the Hoya range over the past few years and being extremely pleased with the brand overall (quality, build, polarizing effect and ease of being able to screw on and off)
Published on 30 Aug. 2009 by Sominder S. Jandu

2.0 out of 5 stars High Quality filter - not!
Published on 12 Nov. 2012 by Wilf Kropotkin

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic CPL, best value on amazon at current price discount, 30 Aug. 2009
Sominder S. Jandu "Som" (Leicester, East Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Overall, I prefere the Hoya range over many other makes and brands and find them to create a deep polarizing effect (to increase saturation of colours, skies, bring out clouds and reduce reflections).

However, with the exisiting range of most brands of CPLs, they are commonly known to reduce the amoung of light entering the sensor by between 1-2 stops of light (in other words, they amount of light hitting the sensor is reduced by half to a quarter of the amount without the polarizer attached).

This means that longer shutter speeds are necessary (great if you can hold the camera steady for blurring water, or on a tripod, not so great if you are handholding your shots).

This CPL is a new HD filter, which allows around 90% of the light to hit your sensor while keeping the polarizing effect the same. This means that you can maintain higher shutter speeds and stil get a great effect.
This enables me to keep the CPL on at all times (except for indoor shots and low light shots)

This CPL is not to be confused with the pro-1 range (which still reduces the amount of light like the regular CPL; the only difference with this being the that the pro-1 range is a very thin filter, thereby reducing vignetting at very wide angles.

I highly recommend this CPL and Amazon has one of the best prices around (currently deeply discounted)..

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 1 Nov. 2011
I have a 5D MKII and use this on a 17-40mm and there's no vignetting, even at 17mm. Awesome build quality and stunning results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Filter, 15 April 2011
I was after a 'slim' polarising filter for my 10-22mm wide-angle zoom and this Hoya is superb. It causes no vignetting and is made of a strong impact resistant glass. It also allows more light thorough than some CPL filters so does not make such a hit on your exposure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya polariser review by AD, 9 Dec. 2010
I bought this filter mainly because of good light transmission and anti-scratch resistance. Prior to purchase I was wondering how the plastic screwthread would work on my existing metallic B+W UV filter. It screws on fine and I don't see vignetting when using both together on a Tokina 12-24mm wide angle lens.
Due quite possibly to my ignorance that the following may apply to polarisers more generrally, I was frustrated intially that, having screwed the filter on, I couldn't get it off again. I discovered by chance that if you merely rotate the polariser anti-clockwise, the main thread suddenly frees up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filter, 18 April 2012
G. Brindley (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read loads of reviews on various websites I finally decided on this model of polarising filter. Although relatively expensive it is likely to be used a lot - in fact as most of my work is outdoors it is attached almost permanently to the lens, to be removed if NOT required, rather than an 'extra' added if required. Of course the amount of 'effect' can be adjusted by simply rotating the filter, using the white arrow marker on the edge as a guide. It is thin and light enough to be unobtrusive, with no noticeable vignetting. It is claimed to be dirt and scratch resistant, although I have not tested this! The main plus points are that it can provide the right amount of effect (not 'over the top' artificial-looking results) with minimal reduction in light transmission, which means you do not have to reduce the shutter speed too much, and so far I have not noticed any colour cast which some PL filters seem to add. Used with a Canon EOS 7D with 15-85 lens.

2.0 out of 5 stars High Quality filter - not!, 12 Nov. 2012
I wasn't sure buying this filter was a good idea given how much photoshop can do these days but so far I'm very impressed*(I'm impressed no longer - see below). I bought it because I'd used a polarising filter frequently many years ago (with film cameras in pre-photoshop days) and remember it seemed very useful particularly for emphasising blue skies. I'd also read a lot of reviews recently suggesting they are a must buy for enthusiastic amateur photographers and achieve results not possible with post processing. So I took the plunge and bought the Hoya HD. I haven't used it that much yet but early results are very encouraging.

I hadn't realised just how much glare this filter could take off foliage and how much this would improve images but taking pictures duting Autumn has demonstrated how effective it is at doing this. I'd expected good glare reduction from water when shooting lakes and the like but I was surprised by how strong the effect is and how much better it makes the image - something that photoshop couldn't do. The effect on skies is as good if not better than I remember from my film days. I'd expected a nice deepening of the blue but had forgotten how well this also emphasises clouds and generally makes images more striking.

The Hoya HD is very well made* (I was very wrong about this!) and feels like a high quality product as soon as you handle it. It's very thin which helps prevent vignetting and so far I've had no problems with smearing on the glass surface. It also lets in more light than most polarisers which I think will make it more versatile and hopefully will mean it gets more use. It has a smooth easy to use action and I've tended to leave it on my 18 - 200mm lens (it may even become my standard filter - only taking it off when I need to rather than the opposite) which I didn't expect would be practical. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase.

****I've just re-read this review which I originally rated as 5 star because I'm looking for a new polarising filter and realise I should have update it some time ago. Just over a year after I'd bought it it fell to pieces. The two rings came apart as I was turning it, and try as I might I couldn't get them properly together again. There's a wire spring between the two and it wouldn't re-seat properly. I could get them together in a fashion but they weren't secure so the action was poor and they kept falling apart making the filter unusable. So I take back al I'd previously said about how good this filter seemed to be. I was very disappointed with the poor quality and won't be buying another Hoya.

5.0 out of 5 stars A first rate polarising filter, 1 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Hoya 67mm HD Digital Circular Polarizing Screw-In Filter (Accessory)
I bought this polarising filter in mid-June after reading a review of polarising filters in "Advanced Photographer", in which it was awarded "Best in Test", but was rather expensive. It was a pleasant surprise to find it available from Amazon at just over 1/3rd of the usual price.

I have now used it for about 6 weeks and I am very pleased indeed with it's performance. It works really well darkening blue skies, improving contrast between clouds and sky, and brightening the landscape generally. It has improved my landscapes considerably. It reduces reflections in water quite well, but did not remove reflections in images that I took in an aquarium, although perhaps this was too much to ask.

It is very easy to use and is so thin and transparent that I hardly noticed it on the camera, it certainly did not reduce exposure by any noticeable degree. The front, rotating element of the filter has an arrow marked on it which made it very easy to reset to a standard position between shots. This feature made it quick to set for different photographs, with different lighting. It was also very easy to keep clean over a longish period of use, even greasy finger marks and damp spots came off easily. One very small niggle is that the back filter element is so thin that to remove the filter from the camera I had to hold the front of the lens very firmly indeed to start the filter's screw turning.

In summary, I can thoroughly recommend this polariser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amongst the best circular polarisers available, 24 April 2010
More expensive than most circular polarisers by quite a margin & I'm guessing it's a Kaesemann type that means it is fully edge sealed & is about 1/2 to 2/3 a stop faster than ordinary ones. The level of anti-reflection, resistance to scratches & marking is reputedly very good.
This polariser has a low profile that makes it suitable for wide angle lenses - I use a 77mm version on a Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR without any additional vignetting as well as a 24-70mm f2.8.
Probably overkill on kit lenses but if you have expensive lenses, don't skimp on filters!
Like all polarisers (especially low profile ones that have less to grip on), care is needed when screwing onto any existing filters such as a UV. Make sure the 1st filter is fairly tight on the lens & that the polariser is only tight enough not to rotate in its thread, alternatively only rotate cw when viewed from the front to save the polariser from unwinding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, have recommended to other Pro Photogs, 1 Jun. 2012
Order delivered promptly (arrived next day). Having already done my homework on Circular Polarising Filters I decided on the Hoya HD Digital PL-CIR.
The filter performs superbly is very very tough, light and has a lens coating that enables grease, finger prints etc. to be cleaned off easily. As careful as we are, we all know how easy it is to get those on there and not so easy to clean off in a hurry. The glass is specially hardned making it much more resistant to breakage than normal optical glass, it is also loses less light most polarising filters. Most polarising filters lose 2 stops but the Hoya HD only loses 1 stop.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any camera, 7 Mar. 2013
This poly-filter makes a great difference to photographing sunny landscapes (beaches, water, mountains) enhancing blues and greens. it also adds a lot to micro photography, crisping up the colours without further post-editing needed.
Very easy to thread on and off, on top of other filters already on the camera.
My only concern is that the thread on the sides is showing signs of chipping. I am sure this is normal, though, and am confident the filter will last at least as long as lens (tens and tens of years) if not longer.
All in all, a reliable good quality product.