5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install; great sound
The way Sonos works isn't immediately obvious so I hope it will help if I set it out as I understand it. For the review, just skip this bit. I put a copy of this review on the zone bridge page too, having reached the age where I repeat myself.

Published on 26 Oct 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars When it works it's great, but it can be very flaky
Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it's not.

When it's not it's a pain in the royal behind. Middle of your favourite ballad, suddenly drops out. How would you feel? Album won't add to play list, had to get the CD out. How would you feel (Sonos isn't cheap after all).

I am advised to avoid the following:-

Positioning any Sonos component...
Published 19 months ago by Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install; great sound, 26 Oct 2010
Amazon Customer "Stevie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sonos CONNECT - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly ZP90) (Electronics)

Sonos attaches itself to your wifi network and allows you to play music which you have ripped onto your computer eg using iTunes.

Sonos the company provides three sorts of device. They renamed them in November 2011, so I have included the new names too:
players - unamplified (eg ZP90, this item, which Sonos have now renamed "Connect"); amplified (ZP120/Connect:Amp); and amplified with speakers (S3/Play:3, S5/Play:5)
a bridge (BR100/Bridge)
a controller (eg Sonos Control or your phone, tablet or computer - the software is free)

You need to attach a player or a bridge to your wireless router, so if your router is in your living-room then you simply attach the zone player to your router and you're off. If - as at Casa Stevie - the router is in the hall then you need a zone bridge which you attach to the router so that you can have the zone player in the living-room. The zone bridge doesn't play music, it just provides a link to your router.

So to the review, which is of the BR100 and the ZP90. In the box you get the bridge, an ethernet cable and power cable. The zone bridge itself is small and not unattractive - like a smaller mac mini. You also get a sheet of paper which describes the 4 steps needed to set it up, the CD which contains the software, and a booklet about the system.

In the ZP90 box you get the player (again, nice looking, a bit bigger than the bridge) and likewise all the cables you could reasonably ask for: ethernet, phono-phono, phono-3.5mm jack. The cables themselves don't look very high quality and I'll replace them, but they're fine for the time being.

Set up is easy-peasy (I did it on my Mac and on a Dell laptop running Vista). The program automatically downloads the latest software and installs it. You then use the software to connect to the individual items (one at a time: not, as I tried to do, both bridge and player!) and then direct the system to the music library/ies you want it to use. I had 150GB in iTunes Media on my Mac mini (actually, on a Samsung Story hard disk attached to it) and it took about 20 minutes to index that. When I then added the iTunes library on Mrs Stevie's laptop, it took another 40 minutes.

Then it was time to listen.

Playing the ZP90 through the hifi (Cyrus 7 amplifier, Mordaunt Short speakers) really shows up the difference between lossless and lossy formats, so much so that you may decide to re-rip your CDs into a lossless format (as I have now done). There is a clear depth and spread in the lossless format (I'm using Apple lossless) that is completely missing in the compressed versions (MP3, AIFF, AAC etc). The good news is that hard disk space is cheap!

The sound quality isn't quite up to my (10-year-old) Musical Fidelity CD player, but it's surprisingly close, and certainly good enough for me to leave most of my rock and pop CDs in the attic having ripped them to Apple Lossless format. And the convenience of having all of my and the missus's CD collection available from our iPhones is terrific.

As you will have noticed, I didn't buy a controller (How much? They must be kidding) but downloaded the app onto the iPhones. It's great, and Mrs S is much less likely to lose her beloved iPhone than a controller. You can use an iPod Touch too, and Android phones etc.

And all this is without mentioning the internet radio which also is available on the Sonos and which works as simply and efficiently as the rest of the system.

Addendum for Mac users: in my original review, I mentioned as a slight problem the occasional failure to find tracks or delay in playing them on my Mac (not a problem on my wife's laptop). I thought it was linked to the external drive going to sleep, but I think I was wrong: a bit of research suggests that there is a problem if you're running your Mac on Airport (ie wirelessly). As long as you have a wired (Ethernet) connection for the Mac itself - the Sonos kit stays wireless - then it works.

I don't think it's a problem which affects PCs - certainly we've had no problem with the laptop which is wireless.

Sorry for the long review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 14 July 2011
Spent a bucket load on Squeezebox but spent more time fixing stuff than listening to music. Sonos was up and running flawlessly within 5 minutes. Great sounds quality, responsive, and Spotify integration is excellent. Sometimes it pays to pay...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and simple, 4 May 2011
Mr. N. Marley (England) - See all my reviews
I've previously used a Logitech Squeezebox for music streaming duties, but heard lots of good Sonos reports from friends and took the plunge.

I now have a ZP90 connected via HomePlugs to my main PC in the study, where all the music is stored.

Setup is very easy indeed. Suspiciously easy, in fact. This is because Sonos have made pairing the Zone Player to the PC and iPhone/iPad controllers a simple matter of holding down two buttons on the front panel when prompted. No more hassles with wireless network keys, SSIDs and IP addresses.

I use two iPhones (the wife and I both have "control" now) to direct the Sonos. We have about 3,000 songs ripped and also use the Spotify service to stream music from the internet. And it all just works. We were up and running very quickly and the iPhone controller is very intuitive.

The only teething trouble I have had is that I ripped a large number of songs to WMA Lossless and the Sonos does not support those. I used Media Monkey to batch re-encode to FLAC and it all works fine.

In terms of sound quality, I use the analogue outputs on the Sonos connected to a Sony-2400ES home cinema amplifier. My music speaker setup is a pair of PMC GB1+ driven with additional support from an Audiolab 8000P power amplifier. The musicality is very good indeed and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between this source and outgoing my NAD CD player.

On the wish list: I would like a Windows Phone 7 controller app.

EDIT: I've upgraded to an Audiolab 8200DQ and use the coax digital output on the Sonos, bypassing the Sony. Quite amazing detail and a worthwhile upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - great Spotify integration., 29 Oct 2010
In the past I have tried to stream music using a wireless network in conjunction with several Apple "Airport Express" devices - this set-up produced a limited amount of success - music would often drop-out for tens of seconds and the devices would regularly stop functioning and need to be replaced.
After reading several excellent reviews on the Sonos kit I decided to order a Sonos system consisting of a ZoneBridge BR100, ZonePlayer 90 and the CR200 remote control.

I have been blown away but just how good, and simple, this system is to use. Set-up was very easy - effectively just a matter of hooking up and linking the various devices. The music quality has been absolutely fantastic - there has been absolutely no drop-out to date (and I am using exactly the same network as I did with the Apple "Airport Express"). The kit itself is built really well and has a small footprint.

The CR200 remote control is really well thought-out and contains a simple and easy to navigate interface while at the same time presenting the user with all the functionality you could need.
One of the most impressive features of this system is the fact that you can seamlessly link to Spotify (that is if you are a Spotify premium account subscriber @ 9.95 p/m) - this has enabled me to set-up vast playlists of Spotify music which I can listen to via my Sonos system as easily as if it were in my iTunes library.

All-in-all one of the most impressive pieces of tech kit I have purchased in the last few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars What it says on The Tin, 21 Aug 2011
''Does what it says on the Tin'' After already setting up a couple of Play 5's and a Bridge the addition of the ZP90 was a logical addition. Connected it up to my Arcam Solo Music, plugged it in and added to the SONOS set up . Was recognised immediately. The addition of a pair of quality interconnects was required as the ones supplied with the ZP90 are budget to say the least. My speakers are Monitor Audio GS10 gold's. Sound reproduction is spot on.
I've compared some of my actual cd's to the digital versions now stored on a western Digital My Book live and accessed by the Sonos kit and I'm very impressed. The winner for me was the Sonos App which I downloaded to my iPod Touch.The ipod is used as the remote control. To be able to access al my digital music and radio stations etc from the iPod and control each individual Sonos unit is great news.
The Sonos kit may be a bit expensive but it works straight out of the box. Save up or sell of some other items to buy this !

Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars When it works it's great, but it can be very flaky, 12 Dec 2012
Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it's not.

I am advised to avoid the following:-

Positioning any Sonos component near ANY of the following:-

Cordless Landline Phone
Mobile Phone
Wireless Router

Depending on your house and where you remember to lay your mobile down, this might be a major issue for you. In my view in a modern world they should all be able to co-exist. Such lack of interoperability is not acceptable, although I am not convinced this is the reason for my issues as one unit will drop and not the others and the one that does is furthest from any of the said devices (but not so far it should be losing the signal). I have 5 Sonos components around fairly evenly spaced around the house; I bought more just to ensure a strong signal everywhere - the SonosNet should be very strong. I am at a loss as to why this happens. Support are very "supportive", but in the end, I just want it to work - fit and forget and just use it.

I want to really like the system - It's cost me a fair wad of wonga and I have ripped 300 CD's into the NAS - a lot of work. But right now it's not behaving. Issues come and go.
I work in IT - I am at least moderately competent in setting up networks and selecting wireless bands, but I still cannot make it 100% reliable.

It's a bit like buying an Alfa Romeo - the best of its kind when it's not broken down. This is my experience, maybe it will be fine for you. Pay your money, take your choice.

Not everyone has these issues and the views expressed are strictly my opinion only. However, the following are quotes from the Sonos Website:-

Use of a 2.4Ghz or DECT wireless phone.

*In order to determine if a 2.4GHz phone is causing interference with your Sonos Wireless HiFi System, try unplugging the base station to see if it resolves the problems with audio dropouts. If so,try relocating the base stationfurther away from your Sonos Components. If this fails to resolve your dropouts, consider replaceing the 2.4Ghz models with 5.8Ghz phones.

*Make sure that all DECT phone base stations are located a minimum of 1 meter away from any ZonePlayer. Please also note that the BT Home Hub router supplied by BT Internet contains a DECT phone base station and should be located as far away from any wired SONOS Components as allowed.

Use of a 108Mbs wireless router (also known as "Super-G", "Turbo-G", 802.11n, or 802.11pre-n).

*Disable the turbo/super-g mode so that the router functions at 54Mbs. Some 802.11 draft-N routers also have a wide-band setting which gives the option of either 20Mhz or 40Mhz. Set your router to 20Mhz to avoid any potential interference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos ZonePLayer 90, 2 Mar 2011
Personally I feel this is the superior wireless music system to other available on the market right now. It isn't the cheapest option, however it is the best and I'll explain why I think this is the case.

I purchased a Sonos BR100UK1 ZoneBridge 100 Wireless Music Controller and a SONOS ZonePlayer 90 Wireless Music Player as a basic setup having demo'd a friends setup of two Sonos Systems ZonePlayer - S5 and a ZP90. Amazon delivered very quickly and the packaging was good. I setup it up and was playing music within 10 minutes from a NAS (D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure) via a shared folder (rather than uPnP) and am controlling it via 2 laptops and 2 iphones. The units themselves are small, very well made and well packaged and supported in terms of manuals and cables. All impressions good so far. Sounds quality is very good for an on-board DAC and the control via PC is instantaneous, intuitive and responsive. iPhone control has a very slight lag, but the app is free so no complaints there.

As a comparison I believe this system is superior to say a Logitech Squeezebox Receiver setup because:
The sound quality from the Sonos system is generally regarded as better - the S5 and the Logitech Squeezebox Boom are leagues apart, and I understand the DAC output is better from the Sonos system. Some people go so far as to output to a dedicated DAC from the digital output of the Sonos to improve quality further however.
Instant setup and linking of additional products and I mean, instant, like press one button and you're done instant.
For those wanting just receivers (like me), the Squeeze route requires at least one Boom/Radio, Logitech Squeezebox Duet - WiFi Internet Radio receiver with wireless MP3 music streaming with a controller or a Logitech Squeezebox Touch unit to register the units on your network, the Sonos does not.
Sonos contains it's own server which the Squeezebox does not - it requires either a server on a PC or a NAS if the NAS can handle it or is able to run third party utilities.
The Sonos system has it's own dedicated wireless network and therefore doesn't throttle your own WiFi setup. This also means that there is no lag in the system and perfect player to player syncronisation.
The Sonos interface is preferable, to me, than the Squeezecentre.
Aesthetically the Sonos system is smarter and less obtrusive.

The Sonos is more expensive, but don't be fooled into thinking that the Squeezebox route is ultra cheap, if you want the same flexibility as this system you have to have some additional background kit and be savvy enough to set it up. If you've got the cash though, this is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Zoneplayer 90 - Fantastic, 4 Dec 2010
Unbelievably easy to set up and the sound's brilliant, perfect for our existing hi-fi amp and speakers.
With multiple zone players the options available for listening to music are seemingly endless.
We set up a NAS drive too so the computer doesn't need to be on to listen to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 30 Aug 2010
I have been using one of the Philips Streamium wireless music players for a few years now, but it started to get a bit long in the tooth (no integration with online services, no support for lossless formats, slow interface, etc) so I decided to look for a replacement.

I bought one of these instead and after just an hour's use I'm thinking why didn't I get one of these sooner. An absolute doddle to setup (I've got the desktop software running on both Win7 and OS X) and the integration with Napster and online radio is excellent. Response times are virtually instantaneous (maybe a split second delay with Napster - but that's coming over the web) and I can use my iPhone as a remote. The only downside is that I now need to buy an iPod touch to use as a remote as my Mrs wants my iphone to control music, but the latest Sonos remote costs more than and iPod Touch, so take your pick I guess.

First impressions are very good. The only slight gotcha with the setup was that I had to turn off my firewall during the installation of the desktop software, then re-enable it afterwards. Locating music on my NAS was easy - just point it to the UNC path (\\servername\share) and give it a username and password. Napster, just give it your user account details and for radio, just tell it where you live so you can get local channels too. At this point I cannot think how they can possibly make it any better. Integration with Spotify maybe? Otherwise it is 10/10 from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 7 Mar 2013
Luke Fisher - See all my reviews
Swapped my pretty excellent Denon D720 for this as i had some problems with it over network and locking up. The Sonos is an absolute joy. If you're wavering and have 260 spare and a decent Hi Fi to plug into you will not be disappointed. You will need the bridge if wireless but I use through home net work plug socket LAN and set up first time, you'll also need a PC/Mac?ipad/iphone or Android (one of the list!) to operate it. Top notch.