5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly infectious
I bought this a couple of weeks ago and have listened to almost nothing else since. Odd, since it is by no means a flawless album. It just happens to have half a dozen tracks that are so infectious you find yourself humming them after only one or two hearings.

Published on 4 Dec 2008 by M. Harrison

2.0 out of 5 stars Will the real Eno & Byrne identify yourselves?
Eno & Byrne's last full collaboration (excluding the less consistent but persistently intriguing Catherine Wheel soundtrack)"My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" was the culmination of a genuine chemistry between Talking Heads' desire to de-construct (US) popular music and Eno's growing interest in weaving texture and ambience into production. Anyone who heard Eno's most recent...
Published on 13 Jan 2009 by J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly infectious, 4 Dec 2008
M. Harrison "Hamish" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)

From the opening chords of the opening track, Home, you know you are in the company of two men of a certain age, comfortable in themselves, their lives and their talent. The song has the nerve to skate close to Simon and Garfunkel and still emerge as a distinctively Byrnian piece: 'Home, with the heighbours fighting/Home, always so exciting/Home, were my parents telling the truth?' It sets the tone for a determinedly upbeat, anthemic, collection: even Byrne's delight in dystopia and dysfunction is carried off with jaunty delight. Far more True Stories than Bush of Ghosts.

The second track, My Big Nurse, is the gentle star of the album. It has a melody that gets right under your skin right from the off. If listening on your MP3 player you will embarass yourself with good old fashioned foot tapping. And when the melody is picked up by the same unapologetic synth that joined in on Home, it reveals a simplicity that borders on the banality of a child's musical toy - and yet when the track ends after only three minutes you feel cheated: you could hum it forever.

With I Feel My Stuff you fear this is one of those albums that opens strongly but fades away. It is a bland, over-produced amble. And even the title track that follows, for all its hymnal quality, doesn't quite deliver on its glorious hook line. But then the collection returns to its pure pop best with the sing-along Life is Long. And then another instantly catchy melody follows with The River.

When Strange Melody starts up you think its going to turn into 'Last Night A DJ Saved My Life': it's pure 80s. But the laugh is on us as Byrne sings 'This groove is out of fashion/these beats are twenty years old.' As if he didn't know what he was doing. Wanted for Life may be the album's quintessential track: '10 to 12 going to hang them high/wanted for life' is the crime-soaked lyric, yet it's the jolliest song of them all.

The album's true final track is One Fine Day. You'll be so busy still singing it in your head you'll not even notice the two forgettable tracks that follow it.

I can't imagine what this album would be like if they had hit bullseye on every track instead of a little over half of them. It would have been the most unbearably perfect piece of pop for decades. As it is, there's more than enough here to fall in love at first listening. And every time of returning will always be like greeting an old friend: far from perfect, but just great to be with.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's no place like home, 25 Aug 2010
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
This was always a match made in heaven. Brian Eno, musical muse to the stars collaborating with David Byrne, one of the most inventive and eclectic pop music artists of recent times. They are at heart masters of experimental music. Their first album `Bush of Ghosts' was a natural progression of the ethnic rhythms explored in Talking Heads' `Remain in Light' album. Although `Bush of Ghosts' proved to be a truly seminal work, I always felt a little miffed that it seemed far more an Eno album than a true collaboration. This time around, the album is much more of a shared work and surprisingly a far more traditional effort, but it is still hugely enjoyable.

`Everything that happens Today' is a natural successor to the gospel-driven `Little Creatures'. It's a nostalgic album that yearns for a time and place that may be disappearing. The way we relate to each other and what we do in the places we inhabit is changing rapidly with the onset of globalization and social networking. Do these changes alter our feelings about concepts such as home, families and neighbourhoods and signify the beginning of worries about isolation and security. This album explores this theme on many of the songs.

`Home' is a fantastic opener, describing the main characteristics of that funny place called `Home'. It provides `familiar smells and flavors' but it can also be a strangely alienating place where `no-one ever speaks'. What is `Home'? A place where we come from, where we live now or where we want to live in the future?

`My Big Nurse' is a gently-strummed and beautifully-worded song about hope. It declares that despite all the troubles in the world today, we can take comfort in a large protective blanket of optimism that solutions will be found. It's a lovely idea and a perfect `lullaby' for panic-stricken adults everywhere. I love the couplet, `When the seasons lose their grip, when the tidal waters slip'. Global warming and the tsunami described in one line. Genius.

`One Fine Day' is the ahem' finest track on the album. It provides a huge, rousing chorus that you just can't help but sing (or scream) along to. It's inspired by a book on the travels of an illegal immigrant and I interpret it as a hugely positive declaration of faith that humanity will survive in the face of disaster. A `Jerusalem' for the 21st century. If only Coldplay and U2 could produce songs like this when they collaborate with Eno.

Running smoothly in the background to the Byrne compositions is Eno and his wonderfully crafted soundscapes. Thankfully, the music here is less ambient trance and more eighties dance. As Byrne sings on `Strange Overtones', `This groove is out of fashion, these beats are 20 years old'. Well, they may be out of fashion, but I still like them! It has to be said that there are some weak, filler tracks on this album. But, I'm beginning to find merit in even the weaker tracks. I hope we don't have to wait as long for their next collaboration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine collaboration, 24 Nov 2008
R. Douglas "RoyBoy" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
I've followed Brian Eno since the first Roxy album and David Byrne since the first Talking Heads album. Only occasionally, but significantly, have they worked together. 'My life in the bush of ghosts' was their high point together, an album of revolutionary importance. Strangely, since I rate them individually so highly, I had few expectations of this album. I wondered how truly different it would be - would it be a rather predictable fusion? How great it has been to be so surprised. This is a really fine album. At times wistful, at times edgy and exciting, always lyrically and musically intriguing. Both BE and DB let go, creating something beyond what either could do on his own. And also beautiful. Beyond all, beautiful. A rich, very special album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few tracks short of being a classic, 15 Dec 2008
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
This album is so easy on the ears, a wonderfully enjoyable listen, full of a mixture of very immediate, catchy tracks and more experimental, chilled and near-ambient pieces all with lyrics which are unmistakably David Byrne. The first track, 'Home' is very nearly instantly familiar, possibly because it gets a little too close for comfort to Simon & Garfunkel's 'Homeward Bound', but just about retains enough originality to get away with it - it's an excellent track, regardless. Following on from it is the sauntering piece of laid-back gorgeousness, 'My Big Nurse', which features an instantly lovable melody.

After the long, interesting - but flawed - 'I Feel My Stuff', we are treated to a piece of choral loveliness, 'Everything That Happens' which flows over you like cool silk on a warm summer's day. We're back to catchy and upbeat with 'Life Is Long', which gets the feet tapping and the head nodding along with its pleasant beat. After this, 'The River' is slightly unimpressive and comes across as a bit lacking in invention, being a constantly repeating verse only broken up by a nice vocal break in the middle.

'Strange Overtones' is a great track, though, which could easily have been one of the great pop songs of the 1980's and, had it been released by Talking Heads, probably would have been. 'Wanted For Life' is an electrifying mix of synthesizers, prominent drums, acoustic guitars and trademark Byrne vocals - in other words, it's very good. However, perhaps competing for the title of the album's best track (with many contenders) is the superb 'One Fine Day', a shimmering, sunny slice of brilliance. The penultimate track, 'Poor Boy', is a frantic piece which never really goes anywhere and then the album wraps up with the sleepy track, 'The Lighthouse', which is the musical equivalent of bobbing up and down in the sea while the sun gently licks your limbs.

On the whole, this is a rather excellent album, with only a handful of tracks which don't really make the grade. It's very unlikely that a fan of either David Byrne or Brian Eno (or both) would be disappointed with such a high-quality release.

4.0 out of 5 stars One to look at in context, 12 Feb 2009
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
OK, this is not the highpoint of either chap's career so they HAVE to lose a star for that, but put it in context of what else is out there today (where everything happened) and it deserves every one of the 4 stars I have seen fit to award this album. The main problem for me is that it is a skittish beast, jumping from style to style, a bit of S&G as stated elsewhere but also a bit George Harrisony on "life is long" for example but on the whole still a better album than most out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars One fine day. Sheer joy!, 11 Mar 2009
Nicholas B. Gibbs "Nick Gibbs" (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
I love David Byrne, I love Brian Eno, I love Talking Heads and I like all three elements together. So imagine my delight when I heard Messrs Byrne and Eno had made a new record together, their first since 1981's 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts'. On hearing the record however, after some rather indifferent reviews, I felt rather let down: lovely sounds as always, courtesy of Eno, but I felt the songs were a little lacking. Oh how wrong I was! One month on and the scales fell from my eyes (or ears). It's a stunner: spiritual, uplifting, mediative and thoroughly, thoroughly infectious. I've had it on continuous rotation for weeks - it sounds especially good on an iPod, but make sure you get it at maximum bit rate. I saw the man himself singing these songs in concert in Antwerp last night and he was superb, just superb.

The songs on the record need time to reveal themselves so be patient, but as someone recovering from the death of a loved one, I can tell you there is no better way to lift the spirits and rediscover the meaning of joy. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes! And thank-you!, 27 Nov 2008
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
I suppose I was expecting 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' part 2. Quite frankly, I'm relieved to say I didn't get it. I always found that album a bit too esoteric, a bit too intellectual.

This couldn't really be more different. The cover notes say that Brian Eno was influenced by American Gospel, amongst other things. Well, maybe, but the point is, he wanted the music 'to be inviting, to offer the listener a place inside it'.

David Byrne's unmistakeable vocals go a long way to making this album so accessible. On top of that, it is so full of tuneful tracks. It's not simple, though. Maybe at times it seems almost naïve, but the lyrics are really quite subversive.

The first track - 'Home' - opens with a squidgy synth beat and acoustic guitars. A lovely simple, sing-along tune, and David Byrne's soaring but slightly strained voice - you know, it almost reminds me of some of the tracks from 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' but the lyrics have just an edge to them:

'Home - such a funny feeling
Home - no-one ever speaking
Home - with our bodies touching
Home - with the cam'ras watching'

So - not Simon and Garfunkel, then.

The second track starts similarly: simple, effective - reminding me of some of the tracks from 'True Stories'.

'I Feel My Stuff' is darker, striking piano, over-clear enunciation making it almost sound like the African click language, but then a backing chorus comes in like something off 'Walk on the Wild Side', with a 'voice-over' and - well! - a guitar solo (of sorts). That guitar sound is so familiar - almost 'For Your Pleasure'. Turns out, yes, it's Phil Manzanera.

The title track is beautiful and has so many echoes to it. It reminds me of 'Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks', it reminds me of 'Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)'.

'Life Is Long' - wonderful! Has a great horn section, a clear and simple guitar solo, a totally sing-along tune, and wonderful left-field lyrics.

'The River' is pretty much back to 'True Stories/Oh Brother' territory, based around a repetitive little riff and vocal harmonies.

O.k. - I'm not going to go through every track; I hope you get the idea from these. But the other tracks continue to surprise, to get funky, retro, weird and tuneful.

Overall, it's kind of a return to his roots for Eno; for Byrne, it is Talking Heads territory - the two together, though, make something quite special. Anyway, that combination should please an awful lot of people.

I'm glad they printed the lyrics on the cover, and the picture of the two of them is classic - it's a lovely picture of David Byrne, reminds me of an older, distinguished George Clooney. And Brian looks so cool. Two Smiling Heads :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!!!, 27 Mar 2009
Eric Stapleton (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
An incredible album. The best music I have bought in years. Haven't stopped listening to it since I bought it. Eno's music, as expected, is great. Byrne's harmonies and lryics are amazing. They complement each other perfectly. Byrne describes the music in the cover notes as inspiring in him a "folk-electronic-gospel feeling." Sounds weird but hits spot accurately.

Buy this album now!!!

Eric.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where no-one's speaking, 25 July 2009
Garrick Webster (Bath, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
Well for many years I've owned My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, an experimental, cross-cultural record by these same collaborators. It's a dark and layered affair, and in many ways emotionally muted.

So much time has passed I didn't really expect more of the same. Everything That Happens Will Happen Today is a far more opulent album. The humour in the lyrics is subtle and the overall sound is refreshing. First listening is far easier than My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

I like the music, but the packaging is outstanding. It looks like they let an illustrator loose on a consumer 3D home design program and asked them to create various lo-tech renders of some kind of dream home. Presumably the home they sing about in the first track (a slight pastiche of the famous Simon and Garfunkle song). The lyrics booklet includes images of this home and is printed on what seems like nice, pulpy recycled paper using vegetable inks, I think. Very nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eno and Byrne - but not as we know it Jim, 14 May 2009
Brett Laniosh - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (Audio CD)
A superb album - Eno music and Byne lyrics. Not all all ambient. These a proper melodic songs. Catchy in a strange enoesque type of way but don't expect My Life in the Bush of Ghost it ain't but still a great album. For a similar style try some of Byrne's solo material.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›