4.0 out of 5 stars Good to hear Doom again
Published on 7 July 2009 by Ted Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Back
For the last 8 years the name MF DOOM has been one of the go to men for me in the modern era of hip hop, ever since Operation Doomsday and the re release of KMDs dropped album this man has released nothing but quality and re-instilled some faith for me in the term hip hop, faith I had almost lost completely

However..I share the same feelings as one of the...
Published on 17 April 2009 by King_Lukas

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to hear Doom again, 7 July 2009
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
A pretty great album. I think 2 things hold it back from being brilliant and both are only under par by MF's standards. Firstly, what one previous reviewer said about the rhymes not having any character may be true. Sometimes the relentless spitting gets slightly repetitive, if still very impressive. (Incidentally, that same reviewer cited VV2 as the worst example of lack of character and I couldn't disagree more: it's my favourite non-self produced album of his).

Secondly, and by far the biggest crutch. I have been surprised by the support for Jake One as a producer. I hadn't heard of him and looked up his producing credits. Seeing production for G-Unit didn't fill me with anticipation, even though I have never listened to their stuff. In reality, he didn't exceed my expectations. If you listen to the album, it is quite clear that the least inventive/exciting tracks are those by JakeOne. I think by any other standards they would be very good beats, but when contrasted against Doom, Dilla and Madlib, they make the album seem under par. I know the album would be very short without them, but I would prefer it like Take Me to Your Leader than this, with some slightly overlong skits with Doom beats over them than this. I know that would mean missing out on his great flows but I don't think he sounds as smooth or inspired over these beats as over the rest.

Otherwise, the album is fantastic, and I am just slightly disappointed he fell into the trap of trying to put a bit of filler in, albeit pretty dope filler.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Back, 17 April 2009
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)

However..I share the same feelings as one of the previous reviewer, I love listening to this album, I love listening to DOOM anytime and the tracks Gazzillion Ear and Absolutly are DOOM at his best for me but he does stray away from the brooding sagas and twist filled witty concepts he mastered in the utterly brilliant Take Me to Your Leader and used as the main stay theme of all his other LPs

That said this is a solid, fun and at the end of the day DOOM! and to be honest most of the time, thats enough for these ears in this messed up totally neutered of quality genre these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trrricky, 30 Jun 2009
B Keeler "benedict" (South Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
I'm surprised a lotta people are complaining about this album - it's not bad at all! In fact, he's still up there. I'd say this is one of the best albums of the year already.

DOOM seems to be recycling lots of Dilla still, and still working with Madlib as well as Jake One - all exceptional producers, no bad moves there. What people seem to miss is DOOM's charm...this new one has a little less 'cheek' and a bit more gruff, ballsy spit-in-your-face crudeness (which is no bad thing, still). Some reviews I've read have been a bit surprised by the most tongue-in-cheek tune ('Batty Boyz'), but you have to treat it like that.

There's plenty of genius splashed around and about, my favourite being the ESG sample on 'Yessir!', with smooth flowing from Wu-Tang's Raekwon, and the Raymond Scott-heavy 'Lightworks' (through Jay-Dee's genius, R.I.P). Much of the album is menacing, but there's still some upbeat, catchy hooks every here and there ('More Rhymin'', 'Still Dope', 'That's That'), but the album kinda grinds to a halt near the end...even using a little autotune (nahhhh) on 'Supervillainz', but we'll just ignore that.

Overall, this is clearly suited for a Stones Throw-addicted crowd, but it'd be sweet to see him taking things a bit further, like he did with The Mouse & The Mask and Madvillainy. We're still watching out for his collaboration album with Ghostface Killah, and after hearing Mos Def's recent The Ecstatic, I'm hoping for some work with the two...just maybe...

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd best Doom album, 14 May 2009
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
Aside from Vaughdville Villain and Madvillainy, this is the best Doom album, hands down.

The often short sharp tracks and even a switch up of beat in a track, suits Doom down to the ground.

His voice is the clearest I've heard in any of his albums so far. It really compliments my set up; Onkyo amplifier, bi wired Cambridge audio S30's and an S50 centre speaker, Cambridge Audio Ultra 100 speaker cable.

Doom's content is as crazy as usual; "He's like Worf, some say stronger though". Only Doom would come out with something like that!

I wouldn't say it's brilliant from start to finish, there was 2 tracks and a couple of skit style tracks that I skip. That leaves 13 tracks for me that are briliant.

Also, tyhis album really compliments Reakwon and Ghostface, who I have not liked in an album since their second Solo albums. Yeah Ghost had a couple of nice tracks in Fishscale, but that album was extremely overrated.

Back to born like this; It deserves nothing less than 5 stars. It is quite telling when Doom's voice is so clear in an album. It means he intends it to be one of his main albums. Born Like this, when compared to Operation Doomsday, there is a big difference in voice clarity, delivery and content.

The beats are just class, it seems as if it's the golden era all over again! Indeed, there are heavy samples, which are used perfectly.

I love the fact that Doom can recognise this and hit us with something raw, but done completely professionally and produced perfectly. (By J Dilla)

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 15 April 2009
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
Considering some of the rubbish that is currently being wheeled out 'Born Like This' has restored my faith in hip-hop. Intelligent vocals, light on guests and bob-on production. I'm appreciating the lyrics more and more with every listen, particularly on 'Gazillion Ear'. An excellent album.

3.0 out of 5 stars really dissappointed, 4 April 2009
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
This album is classic by every standard, but its not an classic by Dooms standard. Let me explain, the essence of the villain is his persona, thats what made him stand out from other rappers out there and thats what made his rhymes sound so much smarter and wittier than anyone else. This album lacks that!!!!! Its not to say that his rapping is bad or the album is totally unlistenable, but what happened to his story telling ability. It seems that he has lost the motivation to do decent story and is only happy with flexing his lyrical muscle through most of the album. I promise u guys, listen to this album again and listen to the madvillian album or even danger doom and u will totally understand what i am trying to get across. Even his VV2 album which even he considers his worst album actually better than this. I can't see the colours anymore

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight lyrics, 13 July 2009
K. Lauritzen "Kayelel" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
MF Doom is back. The lyrics and his flow is tight as always and most of the beats are cool and fit Doom very well. I was a bit disappointed to hear beats from the "Special Herbs" albums being "re-used". But definitely a must-have if you're a Doom fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doom like this...., 23 Mar 2009
H. Onyeka "PSN: Dragnipur" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
This album is off the HooooooK! ...
Been a while since the last MF Doom album dropped, and in that time you can hear from the new album that he has spent some good time coming up with some real sick beats...

Definately a must buy!

All that am waiting on now is the Ghost & Doom Collab album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best album of the year, 28 Mar 2009
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
Simply great,maybe doom's best album production handled by doom,j dilla, jake one and madlib so you know that its gonna be sick,the best thing about this album for me is the guest vocals by Raekwon and Ghostface they simply kill it,love the partnership between all three,love to see them do an album together,anyway doom kills it and the album is dope,a must for underground hiphop heads.5stars bring on cuban linx 2

5.0 out of 5 stars doom is back, 21 May 2009
jacquel serge "serge twenty3" (france st raphael) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BORN LIKE THIS (Audio CD)
if the MF have disappear the doom is still a killer on a mic and composition . A very goog surprise cos i don't wait this album at this level.

BORN LIKE THIS
BORN LIKE THIS by MF Doom (Audio CD - 2009)