5.0 out of 5 stars Gay love in South Korea.
Published on 29 Jun. 2010 by Louis

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, grossly overwrought and tiresome soap opera
I've been trying to think if I've ever seen a stupider and more annoying movie than this one. I'm sure I must have, but I can't remember any right now. I often disagree with other reviewers, but I can't remember another movie that got almost universally good reviews that I absolutely hated. I kept expecting it to get better, but it just kept getting worse.

Both...
Published on 18 Nov. 2012 by J. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Gay love in South Korea., 29 Jun. 2010
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This shows a story of frustration and love. Su-min moves to the city (Seoul) to find work. He finds two jobs- working as a taxi driver and a factory worker. A male customer (Jae-min) falls for him on his taxi shift but Su-min ignores him. Su-min is later made redundant from his factory worker, but who comes in from the head office to inform the workers, Jae-min. After the two meet and remeber the situation in the taxi, Jae-min gives Su-min his job back, but Su-min refuses. Su-min then earns money as a rent boy. The educated Jae-min finds Su-min and he falls for him even further. Su-min shrugs off Jae-min's advances at first, but after Jae-min's many attempts to be with him, he starts to develop feelings and falls for him in return. Eventually the two end up in love and experiencing the ups and downs of life together. There are some happy and sad times as we watch their lives come together. There is no wonder why this is an award-winning film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good Film, 8 Sept. 2009
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Loved this tragic tale. It was telling of a world that few of us ever see or even glimpse for ourselves. All of it well acted and portrayed in a sympathetic way showing the true sadness of it all for the characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, grossly overwrought and tiresome soap opera, 18 Nov. 2012
J. Martin (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)

Both leads, even the orphaned hustler - actually, everybody in this stupid movie - they're ALL selfish, arrogant, unattractive, manipulative people, expecting everybody else to bend under the pressure of their relentless, selfish demands - without EVER showing ANY sign of ANYTHING the least bit attractive to make such a surrender desirable.

If this were meant as a clinical study in extreme, unrelenting human dysfunctionality and co-dependence, I might have been able to stand it - just barely - but romance? PASSION? What movie did these people see? Not the one I saw. Not the mindless, petty, self-indulgent, tantrum-filled, grossly overwrought, hand-wringing, tear-jerking, IDIOTIC soap opera I just spent almost two hours with.

"Prepare to be captured and enthralled for every minute, beginning to end." Well... I was prepared, but I was not ever, not for one second, captured (unless being held hostage counts) or enthralled, or even mildly interested. And "Strong sexual content"? "Nudity"? WHAT nudity? I didn't see any, unless a shirtless man smoking a cigarette merits an adults-only classification now. What a profoundly disappointing and irritating afternoon this has been. This is the worst movie I've seen in ages, if not ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Original Korean Gay Cinema., 27 Sept. 2014
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I should have seen this one ages ago, but like all good things it is well worth the wait. Su-Min is an orphan and as such at the lower end of Korean society's pecking order. He has a job at a factory, but also moonlights as a driver whilst trying to better himself by going to night school. Then he meets a young executive, whom he drives home. This man turns out to be the boss's son at the factory and he makes it quite clear he is interested in more than production quotas. This is Jae-Min - and he is engaged to be married to a woman too just to really muddy the waters.

Well Su-Min decides to make it on his own in another way, but breaks are hard to come by so in desperation he gets a job at Karaoke Bar `X-Large'. This is where you can ruin your favourite pop song with mistuned caterwauling after too much booze and then `get it on' with the young hosts. Problem is Jae-Min just does not know when to give up and things are only ever going to come to a head - and seriously no pun intended.

This is just a barnstormingly good film. The plot is fresh and original, the acting was all great, there was a fair amount of simulated sex, but it was all in context so perfectly well placed. It sweeps the full gamut of emotions and will have you teetering on the edge of your seat till the final frame. The sub titles are good and even with a run time of 112 minutes it just seemed to fly by. Released in 2006, but a film that is worth revisiting - completely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eventually, despite differences, they will come together .. or will they?, 27 May 2011
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Su-min is from an orphanage and moves to Seoul to find work. He combines a day job in a factory with moonlighting as a cab driver. Jae-min, a young and somewhat reluctant businessman, falls for him, barely noticed, from the back seat of his taxi shift. Su-min's applecart is upset by redundancy, and the blow is announced by none other than a newcomer to the factory, Jae-min. Su-min is reduced to working in a male brothel (one might query whether this was inevitable but there you go). Once again he encounters Jae-min, whose passion for Su-min is whetted. The film is about how the would-be relationship advances and retreats, and how it turns out.

I liked this film. It showed a darker side to Seoul and the desperate lives of those on the poverty line. The film handles the part obsession can play in the pursuit of a relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant film, 5 Sept. 2010
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I have just watched this film and I thought it was brilliant. Never have I wanted two people in a love story to get it together so much. I didn't know what to expect when I started watching this, but I quickly became hooked and towards the end I was on the edge of my seat willing them to stop being silly beggars and realise how much they loved each other. Totally blown away by the whole thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Once there was a shy man who fell in love with a poor man........, 27 Dec. 2008
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
.........but the poor man wouldn't accept the shy man's heart." [this parable-like utterance is the lead-in to a love scene you won't want to miss]

((Here is my approach to obtaining/viewing/reviewing Gay tales in film form. Simply, it's seeking the holy grail of that genre, or looking for the "Addictive Film"---that movie one returns to time and again). Selection/purchase is based mainly on finding new releases by favorite directors/screenwriters and/or your comments/reviews at major online film sales or review sites. Sometimes I feel correctly steered by you (the "Keepers" filling my DVD shelves), other times mislead, occasionally badly (the "Throwaways"----and I do toss 'em). Rarely, I come across the "Addictive," those watchable every couple of months or so (see below starred *** area for a list......and some "near-Addictive" as well). For some movies, I'll share a review with you, as follows. Thanks for sticking with me so far.))

Opposites in life, they meet, they fight, they fall tumultuously in love (well, not so easily as all that). One (Jae-Min), is the wealthy and well educated son of a big industrialist........the other (Su-Min---the lead we follow in this tale) is a just-in-from-the-country, young man---an orphan and wise from life's hard knocks (yeah, yeah, it's cliched.....but how do you avoid that in these sorts of films?). From the beginning, our unhappy, has-it-all-in-life second lead (who's engaged and on the verge of marriage) falls hard, and it's through his persistent pursuit that lead character, Su-Min, finally overcomes his reluctance involving the several differences between them and accepts the reality of their love. What follows is one of gay filmdom's better love scenes. As one might expect, all that comes along is not smooth sailing. Through misunderstandings, both lovers pass the very brink of near-death, itself, before a resolution is reached.

PS--I should point out that the original Korean DVD release (Region 3) contained very, very poorly done translation to English subtitling. One can only hope that TLA Video's upcoming Region 2 release will have made more correct translations.

PPS--Oh, and I should note that the portion of Amazon.com's "Synopsis" of this film which reads: "An obsessive desire is sparked between the men, one that can only end in tragedy," is NOT correct. There is, indeed, a happy ending.

***While this film is not yet "Addictive," other films are: "Juste Une Question D'Amour [2006]" / "Shelter [2007]" / "Brokeback Mountain" / "Boy Culture [2006]" / "All Over the Guy [2001] (REGION 1) (NTSC)" / "Second Skin [2000] (REGION 1) (NTSC)" / "The Man I Love [2002] (REGION 1) (NTSC)" / "The Man of My Life [2006] (REGION 1) (NTSC)" (maybe for older/gay thinking men viewers) / "Oh Happy Day [2007] (REGION 1) (NTSC)" / "Fashion Victims [2007]"

****

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
what can i say about this movie that has not already been said. one of my fav gay films and one that i will watch again and again. the lead actor i thought was amazing in the role he played, topped by the fact he is amazingly good looking a real stunner in my eyes,i dont know why but for me korean,chinese, and a lot of asian actors and films just really know how to film and show a love story. and all the emotions that go with it. yes the film is a little dark in places but for me it makes the film seem more real and believable. would love to see this actor in more movies, for me a real talent

3.0 out of 5 stars Regrets? not at all, 31 Aug. 2010
Gavin Slater - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This is a hard movie in some ways as it examines the world of hustlers. The setting is unusual - Seoul in South Korea. The story is also quite fraught and you get frustrated with the lead since he seems to be going down paths you don't wan thim to. In the end the tables are turned though as he reaps some of what he has so cruelly and casually sown. It takes an alarmingly dark twist! Still gets a laugh in the end for a certain quirkyness. Quite okay to watch but can be frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars best gay film, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: No Regret [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this movie last year 2011 march and unpack & watch till today. Surprisingly it is the best gay film I ever watched. I like this movie more than Brokeback Mountain. Only a bit dislike the ending, why a failure of love shall an excuse to kidnap the rich. In case one life one gay movie, u have to watch this!

No Regret [2006] [DVD]
No Regret [2006] [DVD] by Hee-il Leesong (DVD - 2009)
Used & New from: £7.99