5.0 out of 5 stars More than satisfied with Sennheiser MM50i
Note: It seems like many owners experience problems with this headphones. Some seem to have problems for functions these headphones do not have (i.e. sound controller), so I am not sure how justified some reviews are... Overall, none of the problems happened to me. See review for details:

Quality: I bought this headphones in June 2009 at amazon. Since then, I...
Published on 9 Dec 2009 by Carius Baktus

2.0 out of 5 stars die after six months
Although they are really comfortable and sound quality is good.... the right headphone gradually get quieter and quieter till it eventually dies at a round the 4-6month mark.... This happened on both my original pair and on the replacement pair I got from the apple store.
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by Aa Kondeatis

5.0 out of 5 stars More than satisfied with Sennheiser MM50i, 9 Dec 2009
This review is from: Sennheiser MM50iP Stereo Headset with integrated microphone - tailormade for the iPhone - Black (Electronics)

Quality: I bought this headphones in June 2009 at amazon. Since then, I am using them everyday with my iPod touch while commuting to work, traveling, etc. And I use them to call people over Skype with my iPod as well as my MacBook. Usually, I carry my iPod in my trouser pocket with the headphones wrapped around it. Actually, this is the worst thing you can do to headphones. Still, the cable is fully intact, I never lost one of the rubber/silicone pieces - they do not even look 'used'. They are adjustable in size and fit very good and tight in the ear - but never uncomfortable. I never 'lost' one earphone just by gravity. And I do not miss a sound controller. If you want to turn down the music, just grab your iPhone/iPod. That is not a big deal for me.

Sound: Amazing! So much better than the Apple ones I had before. Some people complain about it, but in my opinion they are pure Sennheiser sound quality. If you experience problems with the sound it is most likely the equalizer settings you want to go for. Not the headphones are poor, but even the best headphones do not have a chance with low quality mp3 and wrong settings. Furthermore, they keep the sound around you out of your ears. This is especially great on airplanes, I usually wear them without listening to music for noise reduction. On the other hand, it is not a good idea to wear both earpieces while walking on a sidewalk. You won't hear any bike or car. But I would count this as positive.

Mic: Good for how it is designed. The mic is effectively hanging near your collar. If you are walking, the mic will move - and collect the noise. You won't experience such problems with a classic mobile phone headset. But this is the compromise of having in-ear headphones. Once you sit down and call someone, the sound quality is not worse than with other microphones.

Overall: I think these are real Sennheiser - good sound quality and I never experienced a problem. Now taken into account that a lot of people do rate them badly, sales numbers are low. Hence the big discount. But I do not really complain about this fact, I will buy my girlfriend a pair for her iPod and be happy that I effectively made a steal. Even if the mic can pick up some noise, this is a general problem with the design of this kind of headsets and not MM50ip specific.

2.0 out of 5 stars die after six months, 2 Feb 2009
Not worth the money but may be temped to buy them again if they where about 10 somewhere as they were good while they lasted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible build quality, 10 Sep 2009
I don't expect them to last forever but a year would be nice. The microphone/button started to go wonky after only 5 months. The sound quality is exceptional, but the poor build quality means I won't be going with Sennheiser again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great while they last, 11 Feb 2010
K. Burns - See all my reviews
I've had 2 pairs of these now and while the sound quality and the microphone are great they don't last long at all. Both pairs went within 3 months of use at the exact same point, just above the jack. They both lost all vocals on the music and became very "tinny". If I move the wire around I can get the sound to come back but it has to be held in place, basically the wiring underneath has frayed and became loose.
I won't be buying another pair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well then broke, 21 Jun 2010
Freya Robinson "freyae" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Purchased these about 4 months ago, despite the reviews saying that they broke and were faulty etc. The sound quality is exceptional, and pretty much all noise outside of the headphones can no longer be heard while using hte headphones. The microphone worked brilliantly to answer calls. However, much to my disappointment, one of the headphones died within a month. As I thought they were so good I sent them back and got another pair within a few days as I thought it was probably just unlucky I got a broken pair. But now, for the 2nd time the headphones have broken again within 2 months. Seriously disappointed and definitely will not be ordering again.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new earphones!, 18 Oct 2008
apfrod (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Like all other Sennheiser products I have owned, the sound quality is a joy, being crystal clear and very musical. External noise is cut almost completely. The microphone is apparently excellent; callers have been unaware I am handsfree.

I was a little concerned before purchase about the size of the microphone/button - why couldn't they make one as sleek as Apple's? It turns out to be very ergonomic. It's also on the left rather than the right. It does tend to weigh the 'phones down to the left if you wear them draped around your neck when not in use, so there's still a little room for improvement.

Right now I don't see a better pair of iPhone earbuds on the market, and I wouldn't sacrifice the high-quality listening for this minor complaint.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok while they work, high failure rate., 11 Oct 2009
C. Neville (Prague) - See all my reviews
I really liked my first pair of these, sound was great, then after about 9 months of use the left earbud stopped working. As the price had come down I bought a replacement pair from an Amazon merchant. I'm pretty sure they weren't fake/counterfeit as they came in the same Sennheiser blister packaging as the first pair, which had been bought direct from one of Sennheiser's official distributors. I'd tried emailing Sennheiser UK to find out what to do with the faulty pair but got no reply. I should have taken that as an omen of just how much they care about the quality of this product. My second pair, after a couple of months of normal use have now failed, in a different way. The microphone and the button on the mic no longer work, so the headset just works as headphones now. I won't be buying another pair after this experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down, 5 Aug 2009
Mark Waters - See all my reviews
Great while they lasted, died after 3 months of light use. There seems to be a problem with the connection above the jack which is causing crackling and music to sound like it's being played under water, which is nice. Pity as I was very happy with them while they worked :(

1.0 out of 5 stars poor build quality, 29 Jun 2009
S. Marshall - See all my reviews
Mine developed a problem after just 3 months of light use. I don't wear them all the time - perhaps for 5 hrs a week, but there is already a loose connection just above the jack plug.

Disappointing as the sound is pretty good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally flawed!, 18 Oct 2010
Unfortunately, whilst these headphones look just the ticket, they are fundamentally flawed and don't work properly with either the iPhone or the MacBook Pro!!! I have had a replacement iPhone so am pretty confident that it's not the jack itself. The issue - only sound from the right earbud is normally available. It is possible, by rotating the plug in the jack or loading it to get the other one going but usually this only works for a few seconds. I am really surprised that Sennheiser (or Apple?!) got this key detail so badly wrong.

Another point that isn't made clear in the blurb on this product that you could do with knowing in advance is that, unlike the std iPhone earphones, there is no volume control on the remote - you have to get the iPhone out of your pocket/rucksack if you want to change the volume. Again, another pretty key feature to a set of "tailormade for the iPhone" earhones wouldn't you think?!

Finally, if you do go for them, you might find, as I did, that the replacement buds are not paired in different sizes!! I've got 3 large, 2 medium and 1 small - handy, not!!

ARRAY(0xac20e6cc)