on 17 March 2009
I had initial reservations about purchasing this radio as I could not find many customer reviews of this product but I have not been disappointed. Although quite heavy, this radio is solidly built and the speakers have sufficient power to ensure there is no sound distortion when you turn up the volume. The radio is easy to operate - you can pre-set both DAB and FM stations and the CD player works perfectly well. You can also plug in your MP3 player/ipod and play your music via the speakers - it also has a headphone socket too. The radio can either be mains operated or you can use batteries. All in all, a quality product - thanks Amazon!
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2010
I bought the Sony XDR-S100CDM as a Christmas present for my wife so that she could enjoy DAB radio programmes or listen to her CDs anywhere / anytime. I chose this, as I had always been convinced of Sony's quality, reliability and after-sales service. I was not initially disappointed - great sound, easy set-up, remote control, solid feel, though quite heavy with six C batteries installed.

After five months (very modest) use - the CD player stopped working. I contacted Amazon who replaced the product under guarantee.

The replacement has (today) completely stopped working on all fronts.

DAB reception was poor for a few days - I put this down to poor atmospherics - and changed over to FM. Have been tuned in to FM for several days, but today, changed back to DAB - message - "DAB unobtainable". Switched back to FM - also "unobtainable" (just like that!). CD player was also not working!

Spoke first to Amazon - thirteen months from receiving replacement - out of guarantee!

Okay, no problems - Sony are a good company with first-class after-sale service!

NO - they do not repair this product. If it breaks down in the guarantee period, they replace it - after that, they offer no repair facilities! They informed me that if I could find anyone prepared to repair this, it might cost as much as to replace it!!

When I have spent £145 on a radio CD player I expect it to last more than thirteen months!

I also expect a company like Sony to provide an assurance of their faith in the quality of design and manufacture that translates into a reasonably priced repair service available to customers for perhaps five to ten years after purchase. I do not expect to have to throw away such an expensive product in such a short time frame! I will not be recommending this product to anyone, and have lost my faith in the Sony brand.
66 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2009
I wanted a smallish radio for the kitchen which would solve the problem of poor FM reception on some channels, hence the decision to go for DAB. I also wanted the option to play a CD. The Sony XDR-S100CDM was really the only radio I could find that seemed to fit the bill and it has not been a disappointment.
The DAB reception is perfect on all channels and the stereo sound is good. The radio has loads of useful functions, including a detailed programme guide and also a pause and rewind facility on live radio in case you have to pop to the toilet and don't want to miss something or didn't quite hear a bit and want to listen again. CDs slot in the top.
It is may be a little bigger and heavier than I imagined when I saw the picture but that is no problem as it sits permanently on the kitchen worktop anyway.
Overall, a very good product.
on 2 July 2009
Wooden box appearance good, sturdy , not easy to knock over, sound-good quality. Easy to handle controls, easy to find stations, only criticism: could do with dust cover to protect CD on top. Sony could have thought this out better. Less TV viewing in our hosuehold, the radio has been a good asset.
on 31 July 2009
This is a weighty portable at 3.76 Kg (8 lb) without six C or R14 batteries. The set produces very good sound from DAB and CD alike. The CD sound is surprisingly good; when I plugged in a pair of Grado SR60 headphones a warmth and depth was evident from both classical and popular styles of music. There is fine level of detail from the CD player.

The radio self-tuned in a minute or two and the various display options are clear and easy to read from a distance.

The remote control is intuitive - as indeed is the set itself - and is a useful addition to an all round very good performer.
on 8 June 2009
This is an excellent portable digital radio. Our digital signal strength here is not of the best, but the Sony picks up the signal strongly and the sound quality is excellent both for classical music, speech and on the CD player.

A very satisfactory purchase which I would recommend
on 9 April 2009
Purchased this Sony XDR-S100CDM DAB Radio last february. This is my 7 th DAB radio, and by far the best. It plays all my recorded cd's. The input feature plays my ipod shuffle and mp3 player. Good control buttons and sound quality excellent.Totally portable, it has everything I require from a cd/mp3/ipod/FM and DAB radio. With sturdy robust build and good looks, I can thoroughly recommend this product.
on 12 July 2009
Overall quality is impressive. Clear, powerful sound, and the DAB receiver really sounds CD-like. Yes, it's a bit big, but not so much and in my dorm room fits perfectly. The cd player also works fine, and even in really loud volume does not have any distortion or rattle. It really deserves the Sony badge!!!
on 2 January 2009
This is a great sounding combined DAB & CD-player.

Setting up the DAB radio stations was a piece of cake as they're scanned automatically, and then you choose a subset for your presets. Very easy to use.

Looks suitably old-fashioned if you like that sort of thing, can work on either mains or batteries if you want to cart it about. Be warned however that it's quite a large hefty item.

Sound quality is very good.

LCD display is very legible, it's nice to be able to see what's playing half-way through a piece, but the display jerkily and so, so slowly...

Pause & replay feature is fun, but you can't set up a timed recording for a particular show and then listen to it later.

The CD-player doesn't play immediately if you put a new disk in, and there's no indication of whether a CD's already been inserted which could be problematic.

The remote control is usable but IMO unnecessary.
11 comment|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2009
This item has proved to be just what I required as a DAB Radio with CD. I specifically wanted it for my kitchen. I can access almost all the stations I want plus some I don't, but hey I am not complaining. Very occasionally there is static and I have to move it slightly to remove the static.