5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Big Room Warmer
After much humming and harring over the many different makes and models, I settled on this one because of its power (3k), flexibility (4 settings), fans - to get going pushing the heat out, alarm if knocked over (I have children). I could add that it is easy to carry and simple to operate.

I use it in a ad hoc way to heat large living and bed rooms, without...
Published on 11 Dec 2008 by Mr. R. van Tol

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but really noisy
Got two of those for those crazy winter times. Well, It is effective, but generates a lot of noise, even without the fan, seems that the problem is with the led lamps that display which power setting is it turned on (low/mid/full).
Published on 3 Dec 2010 by Vinicius C. Carvalho

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Big Room Warmer, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: De'Longhi HCS2553FTS Convector Heater - 3 Kilowatt (Kitchen & Home)

I use it in a ad hoc way to heat large living and bed rooms, without turning on the whole central heating, so haven't used the timer. Mounting it on the wall is also an option.

In the total dead of the night, you can hear it make a slight noise, but in the hub-hub of the day, you'll wont notice it's on ... till you realise you have to take another layer off!

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., 29 Nov 2008
Charles A. Crolla (Glasgow, Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased a Dimplex 3kW convector heater with Turbo fan, and returned it after a few days. Apart from the unbelievable noise generated by the cheap fan, I also discovered that the plug had begun to melt!

The replacement, a DeLonghi HCS, not only has twin Turbo fans which are virtually silent, but generates heat faster and more efficiently. It also has greater choice and control of settings, including, should you need it, a Timer.

If you're considering buying a convector heater, avoid Dimplex, and consider the infinitely better DeLonghi.

Even emailing Dimplex about the problems failed to elicit a response.

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 27 Oct 2010
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We bought this to use in a large conservatory, 20' x 12',which has a high peaked roof glazed with polycarbonate, and we mostly use it on evenings when it's too cool for comfort, but not cold enough for a fire. Over the last month it's been cold enough outside for there to have been 2 or 3 frosts and this lightweight heater has coped very well. There are a multitude of settings and also a timer, but we just put the thermostat on maximum and turn the heater to either low, medium or high, depending on how quickly we want to heat up the room. The highest setting also uses a built in fan, which in effect make it a fan heater and thus slightly noisier. We usually start off with it on medium for about fifteen minutes and then turn it down to low and find that unless it's very cold outside it is enough.On a couple of ocassions we've used the maximum setting for 5 or 10 minutes to get the chill off the room quickly, but generally medium(2kw) or low(1kw) keep the room at a pleasant temperature.

Its construction is very lightweight without seeming flimsy and it generally appears solid and well built. There is the option to have it either freestanding or wall mounted and it comes with two plastic feet, which just slide on at the base, and screws and clips to wall mount it.We've only owned this for a month, so I can't speak for it's longevity,which is why I've only given it four stars, but our previous heater was a 1kw convector by De'Longhi and, apart from not being big enough for the job,we never had any problems with that.

We wanted a convector heater to heat a large-ish space quickly and effectively and this has done the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but really noisy, 3 Dec 2010
Vinicius C. Carvalho (Jersey City, NJ) - See all my reviews
It's really annoying when you are trying to get to sleep on a calm silent place. If you can live with that, it's a good heater, does what's expected, otherwise look for another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic heat!, 22 Jan 2010
D. Jones - See all my reviews
This heater is amazing. It gets a large bedroom to sauna state in approx. 10 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars DeLonghi-HCS2553FTS-Convector-Heater-3kW, 9 Dec 2009
BeeKeeper (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
Very easy to assemble and operate. Very quickly warms a large room on max setting with the help of the two fans which are quite quiet but not too obtrusive, just not silent. I guess I will get used to the quiet whurrrr of the fans pretty quickly. Once the room/space is warm enough for you then set the thermostat to maintain that temperature.

As for running costs it all depends on how long you use them and on what settings I guess? You can work it out as they are 3kW heaters. The standard of insulation of your own place will have a significant bearing on running cost as well. Only down side is that the lower dial and timer are positioned rather low on the side panel so you have to get on your knees to read and adjust them. Neither are the dials illuminated. But as the room is by now nice and warm I'm not complaining!!!! Over all first impressions - a very good heater. Hope they last for a few years. I bought two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Heater, 9 Feb 2010
Pete (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This is a very well made, quality convector heater. Turned up full, with the fan on, it heats a largish room very quickly and makes very little noise with the fan on (none at all if the fan is off). There's a clock attachment so you can programme when it comes on and off (BTW, if you think the heater's not working, check that you haven't got it set to timer mode accidentally, or got the thermostat level set too low).

The heater is quite light and easy to move around with the hand holes at either end.

I was so pleased with the heater, I've now bought 3 and all are doing a great job keeping my house warm when the central heating isn't on full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and good thermostat control, 23 Nov 2009
I bought this because it was the same manufacturer as one recommended by Which as being quiet and having a good thermostat control. So far seems to live up to expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the advert, 17 Mar 2009
G. Lewis - See all my reviews
Brilliant. Does exactly what I bought it for. Great value. Heats the room up in no time and the thermostat does the rest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I was unlucky?, 29 Dec 2009
Efficient, very quiet heater - when it works! Mine lasted 9 days before it broke down. Duronic states it prides itself on excellent customer service, but do not provide a telephone number to contact - only thro' mail link on Amazon reseller profile. Amazon say they do not have/cannot provide contact number. So we wait - over the holiday season and cold weather - until someone condescends to contact me....! Things will always break/go wrong - what matters is what is done to rectify the position - let's see........

Edit: After 3 emails without response, 2 tel calls to Amazon,& 1 to manufacturer - who wanted me to make 2x 30 mile round trips to a repair centre - I claimed on Amazon's guarantee (4 Jan). Was it a coincidence that Duronic then responded? ('Sorry, we were on holiday'). What company claiming to practise 'the highest standards of customer care' shuts down for 10 days and does not even set up an email auto-reply? Having completely lost confidence in them and not wishing to risk a further hiatus I declined their of exchange and returned the unit.