on 7 April 2009
I am a Student and you know what it's like trying to find a Chair in the Lecture Theatre next to a (Cleaners Only...) Power Socket. As I have a MacBook Pro, I have to say that normally the internal battery is more than enough for a good couple of lectures....but for an extended day in the cafe...doing group work etc....this gives me hours more...

It also charges my phone at the same time...no need for two chargers now...

My one niggle was that it would charge my iPod Touch (2nd Gen). I spoke to Power Traveller and they sent me different tips for the iPod free of charge for the next morning...These sadly didn't work, but I have spoken to Apple and they think it might be a fault with my iPod Touch...so not the Gorilla's fault!! And it demonstrated that Power Traveller have first rate Customer Service support...

FURTHER NOTE on iPod Touch 2nd Generation...I have been to visit Power Traveller as they are nearby and I was invited to sort out my charging issue in person. The Service was incredible...The new Power Gorilla has been updated to allow charging on the iPod Touch (Apple have tweaked the charging voltage on some of them). It now charges like a dream....If only all Customer Service were this good!!

So in summary, if you're looking for a really handy boost to your power for all sorts of gadgets, this product and the manufacturer come A1 recommended by me...
44 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2016
The specs on this battery are superb. A Lithium Polymer type battery which is a superior type storage to normal Lithium Ion. Large 21000mAh of storage, weighing just 680g. Operates at high voltage for devices such as laptops and other 12-24V devices. Comes with a plethora of adapters including a very welcome cigarette lighter adapter for many camping 12V devices. Has a rugged tough construction. Comes in quite a nice premium packaging.

Well dont be FOOLED. The Power Gorilla sadly, turns out to be a disgrace in false advertising as I will prove and demonstrate that its real world performance equals to that of 7000mah rather than 21000mah which is spectacularly 3 times below what is reasonably expected from its claimed specs. I will prove this by pitting it against two other Polymer Lithium batteries that I own under exact same conditions in real world use. Furthermore, you can purchase similar polymer lithium batteries here, on Amazon, that outperforms this Gorilla and costs less than half the price. So why, you might ask, do so many reviewers give this 4 or 5 stars? Now I am not a cynical person and I will assume all reviewers are genuinely sincere users and NOT employed by Powertraveller. The reason I think for the 4/5 star ratings is this...most of them believe in the battery remaining level indicator...and that is so understandable yet most times very misleading because most people expect this to be calibrated out of the box. Power Gorilla has a lovely large battery level LCD with a 6 bar indicator...very nice...and very off in a very deceptive way as you'll see shortly.

I know some expert reviews will use voltmeters and stats to make their judgement (which are useful). Well, I did the same initially and all looked good. But that kind of testing never gives the whole story. What matters most to you and me is how much juice will it REALLY give us for our money and how it performs when put to real world practical use when compared to other batteries of similar type under same operating conditions.

So these were my results of each battery testing under the same conditions (ie consistently same laptop CPU usage and room temperature).

POWER GORILLA:
11:57pm At room temperature. Power Gorilla fully charged at 6 bars begins charging laptop at 10%
1:00am laptop 42%, Gorilla 5 bars
1:21am laptop 52%, Gorilla 4 bars
1:48am laptop 65%, Gorilla 3 bars
2:03am laptop 62%, Gorilla 0 bars!!! No longer charging, Gorilla depleted

TOTAL: 2 hrs 6mins discharge from full charge to depletion, providing 55% juice to my Dell Ultrabook XPS 13 laptop.

So, as you can see, the gorilla took a whole hour to drop from being 6 bars to 5 bars, which upped my laptop's juice by 32%. Fantastic start!, At that rate, one would expect the Gorilla to provide juice for 6 hours on my laptop and giving nearly two cycles of laptop juice.

But then, shock, notice how the rest of the 5 bars vanish in the next hour! In fact, the last 3 bars vanish in the last 15 minutes. Shocking, huh? The laptop usage is in a consistent use, with just internet open (static pages) and CPU at a recorded 18-22% constant use. So there is absolutely no excuse for this drastic depletion to happen in that second hour. So a very very misleading battery level gauge.

I did the exact same test with two other 12V+ Lithium Polymer batteries that I own.

The Deben Tracer 14ah costs one hundred and sixty quid, thirty quid more than the Power Gorilla as I write but is only two thirds of the claimed charging capacity of Power Gorilla, so naturally, one would expect it to only provide two thirds of the juice that the Power Gorilla delivered under the same conditions. So lets see.

DEBEN TRACER 14ah:
1:04pm At room temperature. Fully charged Tracer begins charging laptop from 10%.
4:19pm laptop 97%
disconnected battery at this point. laptop drained down to 10% again
6:45pm resume tracer battery discharge, charging laptop at 10%
7:27pm laptop 29% . Tracer Battery depleted, Laptop begins discharging

TOTAL: 3hr 57mins discharge from full charge to depletion, providing 106% charge to my Dell ultrabook XPS 13 laptop on a 18-22 CPU usage.

So look at that, incredible. The Deben tracer which claims to produce just 14ah (ie 14000mAh) compared to the Gorilla's 21ah(21000mah) DOUBLY outperformed the Gorilla. So that extra thirty quid looks more than justified after all, doesnt it?!

But recently, I discovered here on Amazon, another lithium polymer battery called the Aukey 28000mah which of course has a considerably higher capacity charge claim than the Power Gorilla...and only costs fifty two quid! (again at time of writing) That's sounds too good to be true but I bought it anyway and tested it under the exact same conditions as the other batteries.

Results for AUKEY 28000mAh:

Aukey 28000 battery test:
7:52pm laptop 10%
9:22pm laptop 51%
10:13pm laptop 76%
10:17pm laptop 77% Aukey battery depleted, laptop begins discharging

Total: 2hrs 25mins discharge from full charge to near depletion, providing 67% charge to my Dell ultrabook XPS 13 laptop on a 18-22 CPU usage.

And there you have it. The Aukey 28000 lasted half hour longer to discharge and charged 67% of my laptop as opposed to the Power Gorilla's 55%...yet costs nearly eighty quid less. The Aukey is also extremely naughty in its capacity storage claims but at least it doesnt cost anywhere near as much as the Gorilla.

So lets ignore all these nonsense claimed power capacity figures and simply compare the cost per every 1% juice provided to my laptop: (please remember, all costs are as of time of writing).

Power Gorilla 21000mah (one hundred and thirty quid) pounds per 1% juice: 2.36
Deben Tracer 14000mah (one hundred and sixty quid) pounds per 1% juice: 1.50
Aukey 28000mah (Fifty-two quid) pounds per 1% juice: 0.78

So clearly, Aukey is the winner for best value for money, getting more charge for your buck (3 times better value than the Power Gorilla). Even though your laptop or devices will have different charging rates, the relative comparisons of each battery would be the same.

The Deben Tracer wins for complete honesty in its specs which even though claims much lower capacity than the other batteries, delivered by far the most juice...but not at the best value.

A couple of other important reasons for my giving the Gorilla battery a very low rating is that this battery was temperamental operating in cold temperatures from 1 degrees below. As an amateur astronomer/astrophotographer, I need it to work for me mostly at nights. The Power Gorilla marketing shows pictures of skiers and mountaineers all dressed in thermal wear suggesting sub zero temperatures. No where on the Amazon product page does it state the temperature operating range. After my field trip test disappointment with the Gorilla, I looked in the manual for any mention of temperature ranges and it does actually state in the specifications at the back of the manual, operating temperatures to be 0-40 degrees. Clearly the skiing pictures (not to mention those cute penguins) are another marketing deception. Also, temperature in London on the night I used it was 1 degree. So quality control is clearly amiss here and does not meet the claimed operating spec. By the way, know that ALL lithium batteries drain faster in colder temperatures, that is simply their nature.

Of course, this battery has enough charge to give your laptop a little extra juice or give your mobile phones a few cycles of power which for some of you, that is all that is needed. But why buy this when there are other far far cheaper and better alternative powerbanks for mobile phones which are lighter too? If its because you are attracted to that optional solar panel...know that solar panels are available that can connect to many other powerbanks. Unless you also want to be giving your 12V+ devices such as your laptop, extra juice, you are better off buying much lighter and cheaper USB portable chargers giving several cycles of power for your mobiles.

Having said all of the above, the Power Gorilla doesnt deserve complete knocking. It does at least have some juice to deliver to your devices. It feels very robust and I actually like its slimline form factor. The numerous adapters provided is excellent and I especially like that it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter so I can run some 12v devices such as a dew heater, 12v hair dryer and computerised telescope mounts. I can even run them simultaneously. Of course, given the deception of the Gorilla's capacity, I just cant run them long enough.

There are other lithium polymer batteries available on Amazon (such as the MAXOAK 50000) which I wish I can also test and compare but I simply cant buy them all, sorry!

But I hope this serves as a useful analysis for you. I just hate seeing companies ripping off customers KNOWING that customers wont know they are being ripped off because innocently, customers trusts the claimed figures and what the battery level remaining meter shows.

Powertraveller, should be ashamed of themselves. What a pity.
on 22 September 2009
I wanted a way of extending the battery life of my aged laptop whilst buying a charger that can be used on my next computer as well as the mobile phones and mp3 players I have. It solved my problem with style.

The Power Gorilla comes with all the connectors I need and many more. The design is compact, stylish, robust and lightweight - even the packaging oozes quality. It is easy to use and extends my laptop's useful battery life by 100% - enough to get me to the next electrical socket or back to the car (it includes a car charger in the kit).

My next purchase will be the solar attachmentSolar Gorilla Power Device. I will leave the new laptop for a while - at least until windows 7 has been reviewed by users like us.
on 20 July 2015
OK, so I'm a photographer who was looking for a good power source to take away on trips and use where limited power supply was available.
I use a Macbook PRO Retina 15" and found it extremely difficult to find a review or any post confirming if this actually worked with the later retina screen MacBooks from apple because it requires an adapter rated 85W ... NOTE most adaptors stating they work fine with the powergorilla are rated at 60W or 65W, even the Lavolta 85W wasn't compatible because the max output was 16V and the mac require 19V minimum, even though it stated it was! I suggest these are fine for earlier models but not the later ones as I found out!

However with a little bit more searching and I found an XTPower cable with a magsafe 2 adaptor that fits and does the job perfectly, connect it all up, set the powergorilla to 19V and Result!

The first powergorilla I received was faulty (It would't turn on) and to be honest I'd read a few reviews of customers saying the same thing, so was quite annoyed by this to start with. Thankfully I am not far from their head quarters in Hampshire and after speaking to them, they simply replaced the item the same day, tested and all was good. All in all a pretty good service.

I've only tested this on a few occasions and thus far it been very good, charging my phone and laptop etc.
With my laptop fully charged and the powergorilla plugged in I had it running a slideshow for 6.5hrs continuous with the screen on max brightness and I still had approximately 30% power left in the laptop at the end of the day. So I'd estimate the powergorilla gave me an additional 3+ hours of running time, which I am very happy with.

The true test will come when I use it out in the field for a few wks and see how it performs then coupled with the solargorilla I'm hoping to be able to keep contact with the people I need and post images live from my trip.
(I'll be adding to this review in October when I get back)
on 26 July 2010
Bought this specifically for my Sony Laptop. Seeing all the positive reviews on how long lasting the power gorilla can holds, i was shocked to discover that it can only manage a short hour on a full charge when connected to my laptop. It is still a great device but only downside is the fact doesn't last for a decent amount of time which was a huge shame. Still it can be handy for other smaller electronics apart from big laptops.
on 6 August 2009
just got this gem of a gadget as I am already a Powertraveller fan using the powermonkey, so I wanted to step up in relation to my laptops. It does what it says on the tin and more. I am using it as an alternative to future buying of laptop batteries as this has so many more options in charging your mobile and other gadgets. If you have a mobile office and are out and about, this is great. I cannot praise the customer care of those at Powertraveller .
on 15 April 2012
Yes, it's expensive, but as someone who has tried the cheaper options and discarded them in drawers around the house, I can tell you that this really is the only option.

It's a good feeling knowing you can go on a long journey, where you might not have power for a few days, and yet you know you can keep your mobile phone topped up - for days and days.

The Gorilla is very rugged, easy to use, and has the ability to do many things - including some things the manufacturers don't tell you about (emergency start a van!)

On my Samsung Galaxy Note I get about 10 full charges from the Power Gorilla so it can certainly cope with a week camping trip.

As I said before - it is a lot of money - but you won't be disappointed with it.
on 13 July 2010
The glowing reports that have already been submitted for this device are all spot-on and I'm only adding my agreement to them.

My only quibble with the product is its lack of efficient portability once it's out of its box - the neoprene carry-case that is supplied is lovely but it can't hold the power unit and the charger. Even the tips won't really fit but I suppose you should be thinking along the lines of taking only what you need (ie tips for your own devices). Me - I like the idea of leaping to the rescue of some generic damsel in distress whose laptop urgently requires a boost of power. Or any other person in similar dire straits.

Other than that, the Power Gorilla really is great - it's certainly good to know that it's to hand if my laptop requires additional charge - working a lot outdoors, this is a big plus for me. That it also powers up all manner of other gadgets (micro USB for many sat-navs and other devices) plus all of the additional power tips makes it a really strong product. The amount of charge/power it retains is considerable and it's come in handy for re-charging my MP3 player and eBook reader as well as my mobile phone.

I felt a little mean in marking it down to four stars for the carrying/portability issue (but attractive and excellent though the original box is, it's certainly not as portable as it could be so I've left room for improvement, if you are reading this, Power Traveller people!
on 26 January 2015
Had this for over 30 days so unable to send back. It was working fine to start with. Now it only powers on when plugged into AC, but when unplugged it refuses to turn on. The button on it does nothing nor is it possible to charge anything. Will try to contact the manufacturers but do not hold my breath! Will keep you updated!!!!
on 23 June 2013
The powergorilla itself is a nice rugged product. It produces a nicely stabilized 16V for my laptop, and it takes input from my cheap 12V-rated solar panel (18V open circuit) despite the blurb claiming it does not work with inputs below 16V (the product itself says "15V" on the back). My tiny solar panel input drives it even on a cloudy day in London. It looks like the powergorilla's "intelligent" search for the right drain on the panel works well - it is supposed to do some searching about for the best possible draw for maximum power input. I guess it settles on 15V input, but I haven't checked with a meter!

The problem is that this could have been so much better if the Japanese had had a go at it. The user interface is terrible. The panoply of wires and connectors is terrible. Powertraveller must actually think about interfaces! One cannot carry around a plastic bubble-form sheet backed by a piece of cardboard with the connector numbers on. What's wrong with a secure box like I used to have for my compass set at school? And please stop with the connectors already. There must be two dozen! Use one connector with multiple pop-out tips, or something clever. Some thought needs to go in here - at least provide a bag for them! And why wires? My heart sinks when I see wires connecting things. They get lost. They flex themselves until they break. Why can't the gorilla extrude some connector? Where is one supposed to put the thing? Surely it must go under the laptop it is charging, or behind it, so why not provide a clever clip?

As to the control circuitry and screen interface, lamentable! For more than half the price of a netbook, one can expect a screen that is programmed to present real information, not 5 or 6 symbols. The USB symbol is always on and seems to signify nothing. To _keep_ USB charging one has to select "88" volts output, and then the standard output drops to 8.4V! While if one does not select USB always-on it will still charge a USB device that draws current, and supply the output voltage of ones choice at the standard output. There is no engineering need for that - it's simply poor control logic.

And when charging it seems to indicate how much charge is still to go, but when discharging it will indicate full even if it is only half full really. That seems to be on purpose according to the blurb, in order to indicate how long the device drawing power will get! Don't attach a device drawing power and the answer is "forever", so that's useless. HI rule #1 - never change an indicator according to the environment it is in - it should measure its own device's state, not something else. A menu would have been nice!

As to what will trick the powergorilla into a charging state, that seems mysterious. It does not seem to charge from my solar panel when I select an output voltage of 12V. Why? Nobody can know, with the lack of state information. My guess is that its first attempt at drawing power from a charging device is at the output voltage that has been selected. That's probably because when charging it, one can only draw power from the powergorilla at that charging voltage! So the charging voltage and the output voltage are locked and one changes the other. That's counter-intuitive. There's no electrical reason why that should be.

And then it's not clear when the PG is looking for the best charging voltage, or if it has noticed that it is being charged at all. Pressing the (only) button seems to often just produce a flash of information about output, with no indication of charging. That's probably when the charging voltage has fallen below some minimum and it has switched charging off, but still left itself in a "locked" state. When is the state locked? It is not shown. One has to try disconnecting everything, waiting 30s, and pressing "on" to try and get back to a known state.

All in all a mess at the user control end of things. It should have been so easy. And those connectors! There's not even a space in the cover-bag for the cigar-lighter input, which is the only one I use (plus one of the L-shaped pieces, which will surely get lost - why not magetize them and let them stick to the PG chassis?)