5.0 out of 5 stars Power Gorilla.....Really Ace!!!
I am a Student and you know what it's like trying to find a Chair in the Lecture Theatre next to a (Cleaners Only...) Power Socket. As I have a MacBook Pro, I have to say that normally the internal battery is more than enough for a good couple of lectures....but for an extended day in the cafe...doing group work etc....this gives me hours more...

It also...
Published on 7 April 2009 by Mr. E. P. Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars Power Gorilla
Published on 26 July 2010 by Sonic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Gorilla.....Really Ace!!!, 7 April 2009
Mr. E. P. Lane "iPod virgin" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powertraveller Powergorilla Multi-Voltage Portable Charger (Sports)

It also charges my phone at the same time...no need for two chargers now...

My one niggle was that it would charge my iPod Touch (2nd Gen). I spoke to Power Traveller and they sent me different tips for the iPod free of charge for the next morning...These sadly didn't work, but I have spoken to Apple and they think it might be a fault with my iPod Touch...so not the Gorilla's fault!! And it demonstrated that Power Traveller have first rate Customer Service support...

FURTHER NOTE on iPod Touch 2nd Generation...I have been to visit Power Traveller as they are nearby and I was invited to sort out my charging issue in person. The Service was incredible...The new Power Gorilla has been updated to allow charging on the iPod Touch (Apple have tweaked the charging voltage on some of them). It now charges like a dream....If only all Customer Service were this good!!

So in summary, if you're looking for a really handy boost to your power for all sorts of gadgets, this product and the manufacturer come A1 recommended by me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Even the packaging is quality!, 22 Sep 2009
I wanted a way of extending the battery life of my aged laptop whilst buying a charger that can be used on my next computer as well as the mobile phones and mp3 players I have. It solved my problem with style.

The Power Gorilla comes with all the connectors I need and many more. The design is compact, stylish, robust and lightweight - even the packaging oozes quality. It is easy to use and extends my laptop's useful battery life by 100% - enough to get me to the next electrical socket or back to the car (it includes a car charger in the kit).

My next purchase will be the solar attachmentSolar Gorilla Power Device. I will leave the new laptop for a while - at least until windows 7 has been reviewed by users like us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to Laptop battery, 6 Aug 2009
just got this gem of a gadget as I am already a Powertraveller fan using the powermonkey, so I wanted to step up in relation to my laptops. It does what it says on the tin and more. I am using it as an alternative to future buying of laptop batteries as this has so many more options in charging your mobile and other gadgets. If you have a mobile office and are out and about, this is great. I cannot praise the customer care of those at Powertraveller .

3.0 out of 5 stars Power Gorilla, 26 July 2010
Bought this specifically for my Sony Laptop. Seeing all the positive reviews on how long lasting the power gorilla can holds, i was shocked to discover that it can only manage a short hour on a full charge when connected to my laptop. It is still a great device but only downside is the fact doesn't last for a decent amount of time which was a huge shame. Still it can be handy for other smaller electronics apart from big laptops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it!, 15 April 2012
K HUDSON-LEE (Rotherham, S.Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes, it's expensive, but as someone who has tried the cheaper options and discarded them in drawers around the house, I can tell you that this really is the only option.

It's a good feeling knowing you can go on a long journey, where you might not have power for a few days, and yet you know you can keep your mobile phone topped up - for days and days.

The Gorilla is very rugged, easy to use, and has the ability to do many things - including some things the manufacturers don't tell you about (emergency start a van!)

On my Samsung Galaxy Note I get about 10 full charges from the Power Gorilla so it can certainly cope with a week camping trip.

As I said before - it is a lot of money - but you won't be disappointed with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another vote of praise for the Power Gorilla, 13 July 2010
The glowing reports that have already been submitted for this device are all spot-on and I'm only adding my agreement to them.

My only quibble with the product is its lack of efficient portability once it's out of its box - the neoprene carry-case that is supplied is lovely but it can't hold the power unit and the charger. Even the tips won't really fit but I suppose you should be thinking along the lines of taking only what you need (ie tips for your own devices). Me - I like the idea of leaping to the rescue of some generic damsel in distress whose laptop urgently requires a boost of power. Or any other person in similar dire straits.

Other than that, the Power Gorilla really is great - it's certainly good to know that it's to hand if my laptop requires additional charge - working a lot outdoors, this is a big plus for me. That it also powers up all manner of other gadgets (micro USB for many sat-navs and other devices) plus all of the additional power tips makes it a really strong product. The amount of charge/power it retains is considerable and it's come in handy for re-charging my MP3 player and eBook reader as well as my mobile phone.

I felt a little mean in marking it down to four stars for the carrying/portability issue (but attractive and excellent though the original box is, it's certainly not as portable as it could be so I've left room for improvement, if you are reading this, Power Traveller people!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but could be so much better, 23 Jun 2013
P. T. Breuer "Peter Breuer" (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
The powergorilla itself is a nice rugged product. It produces a nicely stabilized 16V for my laptop, and it takes input from my cheap 12V-rated solar panel (18V open circuit) despite the blurb claiming it does not work with inputs below 16V (the product itself says "15V" on the back). My tiny solar panel input drives it even on a cloudy day in London. It looks like the powergorilla's "intelligent" search for the right drain on the panel works well - it is supposed to do some searching about for the best possible draw for maximum power input. I guess it settles on 15V input, but I haven't checked with a meter!

The problem is that this could have been so much better if the Japanese had had a go at it. The user interface is terrible. The panoply of wires and connectors is terrible. Powertraveller must actually think about interfaces! One cannot carry around a plastic bubble-form sheet backed by a piece of cardboard with the connector numbers on. What's wrong with a secure box like I used to have for my compass set at school? And please stop with the connectors already. There must be two dozen! Use one connector with multiple pop-out tips, or something clever. Some thought needs to go in here - at least provide a bag for them! And why wires? My heart sinks when I see wires connecting things. They get lost. They flex themselves until they break. Why can't the gorilla extrude some connector? Where is one supposed to put the thing? Surely it must go under the laptop it is charging, or behind it, so why not provide a clever clip?

As to the control circuitry and screen interface, lamentable! For more than half the price of a netbook, one can expect a screen that is programmed to present real information, not 5 or 6 symbols. The USB symbol is always on and seems to signify nothing. To _keep_ USB charging one has to select "88" volts output, and then the standard output drops to 8.4V! While if one does not select USB always-on it will still charge a USB device that draws current, and supply the output voltage of ones choice at the standard output. There is no engineering need for that - it's simply poor control logic.

And when charging it seems to indicate how much charge is still to go, but when discharging it will indicate full even if it is only half full really. That seems to be on purpose according to the blurb, in order to indicate how long the device drawing power will get! Don't attach a device drawing power and the answer is "forever", so that's useless. HI rule #1 - never change an indicator according to the environment it is in - it should measure its own device's state, not something else. A menu would have been nice!

As to what will trick the powergorilla into a charging state, that seems mysterious. It does not seem to charge from my solar panel when I select an output voltage of 12V. Why? Nobody can know, with the lack of state information. My guess is that its first attempt at drawing power from a charging device is at the output voltage that has been selected. That's probably because when charging it, one can only draw power from the powergorilla at that charging voltage! So the charging voltage and the output voltage are locked and one changes the other. That's counter-intuitive. There's no electrical reason why that should be.

And then it's not clear when the PG is looking for the best charging voltage, or if it has noticed that it is being charged at all. Pressing the (only) button seems to often just produce a flash of information about output, with no indication of charging. That's probably when the charging voltage has fallen below some minimum and it has switched charging off, but still left itself in a "locked" state. When is the state locked? It is not shown. One has to try disconnecting everything, waiting 30s, and pressing "on" to try and get back to a known state.

All in all a mess at the user control end of things. It should have been so easy. And those connectors! There's not even a space in the cover-bag for the cigar-lighter input, which is the only one I use (plus one of the L-shaped pieces, which will surely get lost - why not magetize them and let them stick to the PG chassis?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sat navs too!, 23 Jan 2011
Mr. S. Milton "simon milton" (Ipswich United kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was desperate to have a portable power supply for my sat nav. I looked long and hard for an answer to this problem that I had. I then came across a unit calling itself a "powermonkey". Interesting though the powermonkey was, the specs clearly showed that this would not have the capacity to keep my sat nav working for the twelve hours or so that I needed it to work. I then saw that there was a much more substantial unit called the powergorilla that seemed to promise a solution to my power supply problems for my sat nav. Ever the cynic I thought to myself I will buy it and if it doesn't deliver then I can always return it.

When I received the powergorilla the only difficulty, I had, was reading through and trying to work out how to jig it all up. After ten, or so, minutes I had worked it out. The next day I took it out on to the road - after having fully charged it via my mains supply at home - and put it through its paces. Yes! It delivered! After 12 hours out and about (with almost constant usage of the sat nav) I came home and saw that the powergorilla only had used about half of its power charge. I was delighted with this unit.

I have continued to use the powergorilla regularly since I got it. It is simple to operate. All I have to do is to remember to put it on charge when I get home and give it adequate charging time before I take it out on to the road again. I will close by saying that the powergorilla is well worth the money and that I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Customer Service, 28 Jan 2010
The product in my opinion is fantastic because its compact, charges everything I want and is easy to use.

Power traveller customer service is really excellent. I got a really friendly, well informed and very helpful reply to a query about the product within 2 hours from a person called Emily Wilkinson.

If this was the baseline for customer service we would be doing very nicely thank you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - 5 hours of extra time running my MacBook Pro, 28 Feb 2013
Hickster (Henley-On-Thames, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great product. Highly recommended. You won't believe the number and choice of power adapters that it comes with in the box.

I bought this, plus the Apple Airplane power cable for the MacBook Pro, in order to power my laptop on a long flight. I wasn't dissappointed and got 5 hours of continous power from my PowerGorilla, and I think there was still juice left over.

Lotos of option to connect phones, gadgets, GoPro cameras, and comes with a great little neopremne case to keep you bits together. I love this product becasue it's really well thought out. They spent time thinking about what people will use it for and provided eveything you need for that application.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›