Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 June 2010
GIVEN THAT DANIEL O'DONNELL IS MAINLY KNOWN AS A COUNTRY SINGER, ITS SURPRISING THAT HE NEVER RECORDED AND RELEASED THIS ALBUM LONG BEFORE HE DID.

THE ALBUM CONTAINS 19 COVER VERSIONS OF CLASSIC COUNTRY SONGS AND 1 ORIGINAL SONG, "MOTHER'S BIRTHDAY SONG".

IF YOU'RE A COUNTRY MUSIC FAN YOU'RE SURE TO LOVE THIS AS SO MANY COUNTRY GREATS ARE PAID TRIBUTE TO ON THIS ALBUM. KENNY ROGERS ('LUCILLE'), JOHN DENVER ('BACK HOME AGAIN'), GEORGE JONES ('HE STOPPED LOVING HER TODAY'), JOHNNY CASH ('RING OF FIRE') TO NAME BUT A FEW.

THERE ARE EVEN 2 DUETS WITH 2 COUNTRY LEGENDS 'I WANNA BE FREE' (WITH LORETTA LYNN) AND 'CRYSTAL CHANDELIERS' (WITH CHARLEY PRIDE).

IF YOU'RE A DANIEL O'DONNELL FAN YOU WON'T NEED PERSUADING TO BUY THIS AND IF YOU'RE A COUNTRY MUSIC FAN, TRY IT- YOU WON'T REGRET IT!.
Brought up in a remote corner of rural Ireland, Daniel has always been a country boy in every sense. Here, he shows his appreciation of country music by singing a selection of those songs in his own easy listening style. The original versions of these songs were mostly recorded between the fifties and the early eighties.

There are two duets here. Loretta Lynn joins Daniel on her classic I Iwanna be free) although it's difficult to hear Daniel when the two sing together. Charley Pride joins Daniel on Crystal chandeliers, a song that is identified with Charley outside the USA, although his sixties recording was itself a cover.

Having learned about the plight of Detroit in 2013, the lyrics to the song Detroit city seem far removed from reality as it is, although they do reflect how things were in the sixties. In a further twist of fate just three tracks later, the mention (in Crystal chandeliers) of marble statuettes reminded me of Detroit's most famous ruin that once served as the city's train station. All very sad, but it shows how songs can take on a whole new perspective with the passage of time.

My favourite recordings here are Back home again, Little ole wine drinker me, Release me, Seven Spanish angels and Oh lonesome me, but there's a lot of great music here.
on 16 February 2009
I bought this CD for my wife and this is her review. "What can I say - Daniel O'Donnell is always enjoyable. The choice of songs on this CD is excellent."
on 7 February 2009
My girl friend is a massive Daniel O' Donnell fan,and just
loves this C.D.As usual, Daniel won't stray outwith the
comfort zone,and does'nt stretch himself vocally,but its
a very nice selection of new recordings guaranteed to please
even the casual listener.Production quality is faultless,and
the winning formula continues."If it 'aint broke,don't fix it",
...and D O' D appears to have the "Easy Listening" market sewn up.
Good on ya,Daniel,...keep up the good work".
on 15 March 2016
Great cd brought back many memories of my psrentsvwhonpadted away very quickly so I now listen to it every day and think of them and I close my eyes and seebthem smile so thanknyou for that
on 1 January 2011
This is such enjoyable and easy listening. It contains some really lovely songs.
We have played it many times over the Christmas holiday and never tire of listening to it.Would definately say that if you like Country Music songs then its really worth buying Country Boy by Daniel O.Donnell
on 12 January 2016
this was bought as a christmas present and i have not heard any complaints and its pleasant to listen to ,so i am told.
on 28 March 2015
Daniel lives in the country and was a boy.
When he was a boy he recorded these demos on a portable cassette recorder in his uncles barn.
These are covers of songs he listened to on his internet radio.
Stuff like Big John Bubba, The Rednecks and The Hang Em High Choir.
Daniel plays three string guitar and banjo inputted to a wah wah pedal.
Most of the stuff on this cd is inspired by heavy acid psych and is akin to Terry Brooks and Strange and Father Yod and the Sons of Yahowha 13.
There is a heavy vibe on this cd, it's like a concept album about astronauts in deep space on an out of control starship.
Daniel ramps the guitars up in the second half using tons of digital delay and a Boss phased delay unit (with panning) on his vocals.
The final track is a euphoric trance banger which cycles up to 198 BPM.
We are not used to this type of album from Daniel and myself and my husband are rather disturbed by it.
We don't like it.
Why can't he do an album with Cliff?
Daniel is becoming Genesis P Orridge.
on 24 February 2016
NOW AT NIGHT I CAN SIT WITH MY ADULT DAWING BOOT WITH DANIEL
on 12 December 2015
this is the kind of music my dad loves great songs great cd