5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
An excellent version, nicely sung and recorded, with excellent performances of all the "big" numbers - brisk, but never breathless. The soloists (no big names) are uniformly good.

Published on 4 Nov 2006 by Teemacs

2.0 out of 5 stars Joyless, and by no means interesting
I wanted to like this, but sadly I can't. It isn't that I insist on a particular performing tradition - I can still enjoy the very different approaches of Scherchen and Hogwood, but this performance fails at so many levels.

The soloists aren't good, which is a thoroughly bad start. I can derive no pleasure from the work of the soprano or the tenor. Both seem...
Published 9 months ago by N. R. J. McCaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 4 Nov 2006
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Only one (personal) reservation - I'm very partial to the spine-chilling counter-tenor version of "For He is like a refiner's fire", done best of all by Paul Esswood for Charles Mackerras. As this recording seeks to provide the first Dublin performance, we get the less virtuosic bass version of that version. But that's my only quibble. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the pile!, 22 Feb 2007
Having listened to many of the various versions of Messiah, and previously having had The English Concert/Pinnock (Archiv) as my top choice, this new release from the Dunedin Consort has now surpassed that. Sure, it's sometimes tricky to compare recordings of different performing versions of the Messiah (of which there are many) but this recording of the 1742 Dublin version, whilst it might have been originally adapted by Handel to cater for soloists of perhaps a lesser quality than he could lay his hands on elsewhere, is by no means a 'poorer' version for that, certainly if this recording is anything to go by.

Where this recording really excels is the superb diction of both choir and the soloists drawn from within. Maybe easier to achieve with smaller forces than on most other recordings but the diction is supreme nonetheless. Clare Wilkinson's 'He Was Despised' comes up in quite the most heart rending and tragic rendition I have ever heard (which is how it should be) and is for me, the premier highlight amongst many. The overall oratorio is presented with such charm and the sense that Charles Jennens' collection of Scriptures is narrated as an entire story from start to finish.

The playing of the Dunedin Players is superb and the balance between choir and instrumentalists in the Hallelujah Chorus in particular is supreme and produces a rendition most joyful, (aided by the wonderfully punchy trumpets and timpani) far removed from the Victoriana pomposity of a number of older versions and the numerous 'Come Along and Sing' Hallelujahs (and Messiahs in general) frequently put on each year.

Quite the most sublime and joyful recorded version of Messiah I've ever heard. The Dunedin Consort and Players (not to mention John Butt!) should be proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice, 27 Dec 2006
Roger T. Cutler (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I just thought I'd point out that this performance uses the 6-8 version of Rejoice. I've looked at that in the score but I've never heard it performed. I found it utterly charming.

Overall, having performed Messiah more times than I care to count, this performance is an enjoyable, new look at the work. At least, new to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile but not the best, 23 April 2009
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Many of the reviews here miss the point as far as I am concerned. It is not this version versus the very old school of performance. The question is "does this version stand up to competition with the best of the "historically correct" period versions?". The short answer is that it simply does not but ...

... it IS irresistible in its way. The choral work - done by a tiny group - is delectably fresh, lithe and different. It's strengths can be found here and in the genuine enthusiasm of the soloists - they really seem to be enjoying themselves.

There are no big name soloists - all are drawn from the tiny chorus. They all have pleasant voices and use them musically but they lack the technical resources and tonal range of their more well known rivals - singers who have made successful careers out of solo work. To some extent the soloists here make up for what they lack in artistry with naturalness, intimacy and simplicity. But while they can charm and while their enthusiasm is infectious, they lack the power to thrill and to ravish that we expect from top rank soloists.

The interpretation itself is sometimes a little square (and is often less shaped than rivals). Listen to it alongside some of the other available period versions. This set is positively dull when listened to next to my current favourite (that of McCreesh) and seems a poor choice when compared with other front runners that I have heard (Pinnock, Harnoncourt): it seems to present a smaller and less astonishing work.

For all that, I am glad to have it and will listen to and enjoy it occasionally for the very unique qualities it does possess. But it is rediculous to say it is the best available - it is not even close to that - and I suspect the rave reviews here represent something of a fan club mentality rather than objective and informed comparison.

4.0 out of 5 stars A valiant Messiah performance that reconstructs the Dublin version, 4 Sep 2014
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have just come out the other end of a Handel binge and listened to this version of Messiah with John Butt and the Dunedin Consort. It is a very good performance, a worthy reconstruction of the first Dublin version.

John Butt leads a wonderful team of singers and players. Although I enjoy their efforts, I find that there might be something lacking. I do not doubt their commitment, but I sense that this performance might lack the immediacy and conviction that some other performances have. I am thinking, for instance, of the 2008 Harry Christophers/Sixteen recording and even the 1990s Cleobury/King's College version with the Brandenburg Consort. However this performance excels in conveying the quiet confidence in God that this oratorio espouses.

I've noted that some of the soloists have light, airy voices with little body and presence. I observe this particularly of the soprano and tenor soloists (Susan Hamilton and Nicholas Mulroy). Although their voices may be small-sounding, they acquit themselves wonderfully in their solos and handle the difficult melismas very well. The higher soloists seem to fare better in the simpler arias with fewer melismatic runs. In this respect I know that my Redeemer liveth comes off best out of all the soprano numbers. This number conveys a quiet, assuring confidence in God and Susan Hamilton meets the vocal requirements well. The alto and bass solos fare better. Clare Wilkinson fares well in the alto solo version of He shall feed His flock and especially in He was despised. I've been fond of Anne Sofie von Otter's delivery of the latter in the Pinnock recording, but Wilkinson still offers an affecting reading of that aria. The bass soloist, Matthew Brook, is the best of the five soloists. In his first recitative he has a commanding authority and presence, especially when he sings about the Lord of Hosts shaking the universe. His rendition of The trumpet shall sound is a standout, as are his renditions of the original versions of But who may abide and Thou art gone up on high.

When I say these things I'm not implying that we should regress to the days of extravagant Messiahs done by Beecham or even the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. In some of the recent historically informed versions, there are some excellent soloists who have strong voices that still adapt well to early music settings. It is just that the soprano and tenor soloists tend to sound weak here.

John Butt directs a steady, focused and committed performance and has some excellent orchestral playing and choral singing. It is good that his choir has a clear-textured, balanced sound and handles the difficult choruses so well. For unto us, All we like sheep and His yoke is easy are among the better choruses in this recording. The difficult melismas come off well across the various voices. I love the concept of the soloists doubling as choir members and singing the choruses with the ensemble. However I do wish that the chorus had been crisper and more incisive in note attacks, especially in the more robust choruses. I note this especially in the famous Hallelujah chorus where there is a lack of punch due to flaccid word and note attacks.

It is refreshing to hear the Dublin version of Messiah to know how various numbers differ from the versions that Handel composed for later performances. I am pleased with the momentum that is generated towards the end of Part Two. I am pleased that this recording uses the short version of Why do the nations rather than the long version as featured in the hand-me-down legacy text. Why do the nations is not a set-piece number in the manner of The trumpet shall sound or even O thou that tellest. It is part of a sequence that leads up to the Hallelujah chorus. When we are within sight of the Hallelujah chorus it would be good not to hold up the momentum with the long version as we tend to do. The short version leads so effectively into Let us break their bonds asunder without a hitch or delay.

Sound-wise this recording is well-engineered, well-balanced and clear, worthy of Linn's standards. Even so, I note that the recording is occasionally dry and lacking in some ambience. I like to note that sometimes old buildings lend a unique resonance to the performance of such pieces. I'm not in any way saying that we need to have muddy recordings. Rather I am saying that it would be good if there was a bit more resonance that did not cloud the intricacies of this work.

When all is said and done, though, I still think this is a very good and valiant Messiah recording. I wouldn't quite say this is a first choice, but it is as good as it gets. As of now I would place it behind the Cleobury'King's College recording done in the Pieterskerk or even Pinnock's DG version. These two versions will still be excellent choices for starters, but the Cleobury/King's (90s version) has edged past Hogwood, Gardiner and Pinnock to become my preferred choice. However, I will still return to this Messiah recording with pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 Mar 2013
We really like it - no profound views, no musicology. We just like the sound of the music and the performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best version, 20 Dec 2010
L. M. Jakobsen (Europe) - See all my reviews
I have for years (at Christmas time) listened to the Pinnock version, which is fantastic. With the Butt/Dunedin Consort & Players, which I have only heard a few times, I think of words such as depth, delicate, refined and musicality. Another fantastic version. We are fortunate to be able to have such music available to us so easily. It is divine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Handel, 11 Jan 2008
John Moyes "JRM" (Cyprus) - See all my reviews
There are many versions of 'Messiah' available, ranging from those with choirs in the hundreds(Sargent. Beecham, et al)to those with much smaller choirs and with period instruments (Pinnock and others). But even if you have these, the is a version in the 'must have' category. There are only 13 choir members and the soloists 'double' from the choir. This would be an approach quite familiar to Handel; many oratorios were performed thus.In this version every crotchet is absolutely accurate; reading against the 'Dublin' score, and there are only trivial and very few 'cuts'. The sheer musicality has, in my view, never been achieved before - and I have been listening to 'Messiah' in live performance and on disc for over 50 years. Every aria and every chorus is 'fresh' and the diction, intonation, musical nuance and breath control are all superb. If you buy an oratorio disc this year, and even if you have many versions of Messiah, this is a 'must have'. Moving and memorable - quite outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 April 2014
Mr. I. Ringstead "Happy Chappy" (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
This is a superb recording and one of the best versions ever .True to the original and well worth getting .

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelation, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Handel Messiah (MP3 Download)
For years I had viewed Messiah with horror, big modern orchestra and large chorus just do not do it justice in my opinion. I was not even tempted to try again even with a number of period instrument recordings appearing. I purchased the CD of this shortly after it came out and the scales fell from my eyes - simply wonderful and a thing of beauty. It is simple, other than strings, continuo and organ there are only 2 natural trumpets and the best sounding timpani I have ever heard. The soloists reinforce the chorus which from memory makes a total of 12 singers. It is clean and fresh and a revelation.
With brisk tempi, clear enunciation and clean and uncluttered scoring the Dublin version allows the unvarnished beauty of the piece to become apparent. The small forces can still achieve a good volume and magnificence - Worthy is the Lamb and the Amen in particular are truly splendid. The recording quality is very fine and one can hear everything clearly.
My only gripe is the download. On my kindle I cannot scroll all the way to the end and and on my PC disc2 comes first so a bit of readjusting needed.
That notwithstanding this is a joy.

Handel Messiah