5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Good
Published on 24 April 2008 by Graham Hallett

3.0 out of 5 stars ...does what it sez on the tin...
Last years Snakes & Arrows album saw Rush hitting a belated creative high, something reflected both in journalistic appraisal and in the shape of a Grammy nomination. Why, even I said of the record that "this is the sound of a veteran band finding a way to charge the batteries and finding a way to move forward without leaving the past behind".

In fact, it was...
Published on 25 April 2008 by Mr. H

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Good, 24 April 2008
Graham Hallett (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I feel I should start by saying I am in the camp of not minding "another Live Album" from Rush. I think their live albums often sound more dynamic and alive than the studio versions and this one doesn't disappoint. I saw the show in London and the whole set is included on the two discs, minus the hilarious Southpark intro to Tom Sawyer. The Snakes and Arrows songs work really well along side the older songs off Hemisperes and Signals and there is a pretty good spread of songs from most of their back catalogue.

To finish up, the album is very very good. If you like Rush live you can't go wrong and to all the people complaining of "Yet another Live Rush album" nobody is forcing you to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rush and live albums,gotta love em., 29 Nov 2010
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
They just cant help themselves,if ever a band had a live album to suit every occasion!Recorded on the Snakes and Arrows tour and including a whopping 9 tracks from that disc,this is a bit of a gamble,if you didnt like the S & A disc then chances are this might pass you by.

Thankfully i did enjoy the previous studio disc so i was well up for this,as expected the S & A tracks stand up well in the live arena with 'The Way The Wind Blows & The Main Monkey Business' particularly excellent.

A decent shake up of the set list means a return for a few of my particular favs such as 'Digital Man','Between The Wheels' and 'Witch Hunt' whilst Geddy revisiting 'Passage To Bangkok' raises a smile.

Naturally the greatest hits are all here 'Frewill',Tom Sawyer','Spirit of the Radio,wish they would return 'Closer Too The Heart' back to the set.

All in all an excellent release ,it wont top 'Different Stages ' or 'All The Worlds A stage', however its a worthy purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best live Rush CD, 15 Nov 2008
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Long-time Rush fan here. Straight away this became my favourite live Rush CD.

Because - the mix is spot on, and the choice of songs.

You don't feel like you're lost in the crowd or 10 miles away from the stage or wearing cotton-wool earplugs. It's the first time Rush have got the mix dead right for a live CD in my opinion.

They seem to have chosen some of their 'warmest' songs for this CD and also some of them are appearing on a live CD for the first time (not just those from 'Snakes and Arrows').

If you're a casual Rush fan who thinks you already have enough live Rush CDs, then you're missing out not getting this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great, 19 April 2008
Having bought all of the official rush live albums, this is pretty much the equal of "exit stage left". The guitar at last is high in the mix. Almost half the songs here have not been on live output. Favourites are "Digital Man" (love the arrangement at the end), "Secret Touch" (infinitely better sound with tasty guitar than on Vapor Trails studio album), "Circumstances", "Dreamline", "Natural Science", and the dark & powerful "Witch Hunt", and the songs from "Snakes and Arrows" come off well, particulary the intense "Spindrift" and the funky "Malignant Narcissism". Wow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Superb, 13 Dec 2008
G. Richardson (Herts, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Saw their performance in Wembley and it was mind blowing as usual and the live album recreates all the memories for me.

I suppose my "reference" live album up tll now has been "Different Stages" in some ways, mainly because of it's live version of 2112 in it's entirety. In other ways R30 impresses because of the inclusion of tracks not heard of for ages live: Red Barchetta and Mystic Rythms stand out particularly.

But with "Snakes" I have new reference. Listening to it instantly takes me back to Wembley and wanting to rock with the Rush crowd.

Stand out track from the whole set for me, is "Witch Hunt". Get some good headsets, program your audio player's EQ to give a rock ambience and then wind the wick up, sit back and let the power of this track totally overwhelm you. You'll be blown away - I promise - makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up each time I hear it.

Outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rush refreshed, 6 May 2008
A. Rickett (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
There was no way i wasn't going to buy this CD, and I'm pretty sure there won't be many converts, but to me this is a rewarding rush live release. If you like Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Snakes & Arrows this is your live tour. The latter is their best studio album since Signals. The set picks its way through the difficult eighties & ninties synth but those songs included from this era come across well. There's no Xanadu, 2112 and early stuff but at least there are no joke interpretations and compilations to hide their boredom with these songs. Although i had massive anticipation of the R30 tour I found this tour and it's CD record more in spirit with the Rush i like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now!!!, 26 April 2008
J. J. MCGORRY "jock2" (Sussex, UK.) - See all my reviews
Like many I thought "Not another live double from Rush" but as I was lucky enough to see the Snakes & Arrows tour I had to buy it since the set was superb. I was not disappointed, this is the best Rush live album since Different Stages which I listen to more than any of the others. Live In Rio & R3O were good but very similar in set listings for me, Snakes & Arrows live is a welcome change since the band played many older numbers on that tour. This disc is a must for anyone who was at the Snakes & Arrows concerts, during the London show I attended I remember standing with a smile on my face through the whole show. This album has the same effect. Buy & enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another Rush live album., 23 April 2008
Mark Haynes (Telford UK) - See all my reviews
Yes I know the title seems disparaging but actually there are some very good reasons to own this album for both the 'non-committed' as well as Rush fans. Firstly, it is excellently recorded (wish I could say the same about some other Rush live albums). Secondly it has material covered live which does not appear on ANY OTHER RUSH LIVE ALBUM. Thirdly, the live versions in most cases are actually better (as is usual with Rush) than the original versions. We just need now for the apathetic music press to acknowledge its existence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, nice set and the band are on form, 20 Jun 2014
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This ticks pretty much all of the boxes for a live album - the set list is a nice mix of old and new tracks, the band are really playing well and enjoying themselves, and the recording is very, very good quality (as is the blu-ray of the concert - it's fantastic, actually). There's very little not to like - both the newer and classic tracks are played well. Geddy's vocal range is not quite what it was, but I was surprised how good he sounds here, even on some of the older material that is pretty tricky vocally for him now - there are one or two moments where his voice falters, but these are very few, and to the band's credit, they didn't fix these in post-production and left them in - what an honest and refreshing approach ! It's also interesting to hear Neil's take on the older material - I know it's geeky, but having watched the blu-ray I was interested to see he was using a traditional jazz kind of grip when he played on this tour and this change in drumming style can certainly be heard - I like it though !

4.0 out of 5 stars another Rush live album, 13 Mar 2014
They seem to like publishing their live shows. I think they have 11 live albums. So this is one more. A good collection of songs and an excellent sound. Check out the setlist before buying it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›