5.0 out of 5 stars A great Buy
Published on 31 Dec 2008 by B. SIMPSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as you think
Started off looking good, but when it comes to searches, look out fo rthe extra charges you will need to find to get the info you want and that is still with 6 months free searching. You cannot search everything in the free membership. Also, it is very americanised, your okay if looking for people in the USA.
Published on 24 Feb 2009 by Easy come - Easy Go

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Buy, 31 Dec 2008
B. SIMPSON "Theskenic" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I bought Platinum version from Amazon for 29, this has to be the bargain of the year. Included is a 6 month subscription to Ancestry which is worth at least as much. I have been using the 2006 version FTM for some time. This 2009 package has a completely different look, but don't let this put you off. It took me some time to get to grips with the 2006 version so it is just a matter of learning to use a new program again. My old data incorporated into the new one with no problems. Don't look on this as an updated version of 2006 it is a new program and I like it. Just stick at it and get to know the new interface. It has some new features and there are more to come. One piece of advice, don't subscribe to ancestry the moment you load the new program. Get all your existing data on it. find out how it all works and then subscribe. that way you won't waste any of your free 6 months.Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2009 - Platinum Edition, 23 Feb 2009
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I actually gave this to my wife to review as she has had experience of other family tree software and thought her opiions would be more valid ... over to Liz ...

I had the Deluxe edition of Rootsmagic before receiving the FTM 2009 Platinum program, and immediately I saw how much more user friendly FTM is, and how much more information came with it. It was really easy to install and to import a GEDCOM program from Genes Reunited where I had a fuller family tree already set up. The import only resulted in 6 small errors, far fewer than when I imported a GEDCOM file into Rootsmagic. The only problem was that the Getting Started guide didn't mention how to import files, and it was only once I'd opened up the program and looked around it that I found out how to do it. Maybe a section on this should be included in the guide!

The 6-month free subscription to Ancestry and the ability to instantly merge records into my family tree is a brilliant addition to what I had before. I had not had Rootsmagic long so am not an experienced user of FT software yet, but FTM 2009 is so user-friendly I can see I'll be using it whenever I have a spare minute. I like the automatic back-up facility, but I found early on that I could switch this off if I wanted to, and save a back-up elsewhere, which is useful.

To be honest I didn't really read the Getting Started guide much before getting stuck into using FTM 2009. I found it really easy to pick things up as I went along, producing reports and adding people and so on, by just exploring all of the options on-screen. I also like the way you can choose to look at the information in different ways. I think it does help that I am used to computers, and that I had used a Family Tree program before."

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Family Tree Maker, 3 May 2009
Ellie (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Bought this at Easter to help my mother, and her many scraps of paper, trace the family tree. I have never used any type of family tree software before but found this version easy to use without the need to read the instuctions too much. The six months web subscription to Ancestry makes buying the Platinum version well worth it. The Ancestry site is also fairly easy to use. The only difficulty was with linking the correct names, dates, locations etc on the actual census' and not with the programme. From the comfort of your lounge / office etc you can trawl through pages of information, all time consuming, but better than sitting in a local library for hours on end. You can present your family tree in a variety of ways and change who you want as your 'home' (main) person. The layout helps you keep track of all the various members whom you can add in any order and the programme sorts them out for you and shows the relationship, if any, between the home person and the chosen person in your tree. I would highly recommend the programme.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, well worth the money, 15 April 2009
Hazel Schofield (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Having spent many hours building up my family tree on a web site, I decided it was time to download it all to my computer & keep updating it there. This software was ideal, as I was able to import what I had already created directly from the web site. You can also download the images of census data and other records and link them to the people in your tree, meaning that you don't have to continue your subscription to the web sites for ever. I found it a little clunky to use to start with since it was so different to the web site to operate, however, now I am used to it, the features are excellent, and it is more than capable of doing everything I want it to do. I particularly like the ability to easily produce charts of some or all of your tree. Being able to print out like this has really helped my research & my ability to communicate what I've learned to the rest of my family. I'd highly recommend this purchase for anyone interested in starting or continuing in their family tree research. It might take a while to get to grips with though if you are not confident in picking up new software. Well worth the 35 I paid at Amazon, not sure I would have bought it at full price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as you think, 24 Feb 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 5 Mar 2009
L. H. Howard (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I upgraded from FTM 2005 to FTM 2009 and oh dear what a complete waste of money. All it wants to do is give me details from USA even after I clicked on UK only and now to rub every thing in, not happy with the money they are taking from us they have started adding stupid moving adverts to break ones concentration. I am going to try a different program but I doubt FTM will reimburse my money.Buy this program at your peril. I wanted to rate it at zero but wasn`t allowed so I have given it the lowest possible

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Uk enough, 25 July 2009
Michael Dawson "michael dawson" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
A big disappointment. They may very well offer access to millions of historical records, the problem is that the vast amount of these records are for the USA market, a fact that should be made clear at the point of sale. Also, to access actual records, further subscriptions are constantly being asked for. Not a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2009, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I have been using FTM 2005 for a few years and because I have gone vista I decided to update FTM instead of downloading the required patch.

The changeover was quick and easy. The program itself is very different but after just a few uses I got to grips with it and would not go back to the 2005 FTM.

The search choices are very easy to use and the attaching of citations etc is so much easier too. You can choose how your screen looks and view quite a lot of imformation at once.

It is well worth updating to the 2009 edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars From Broederbund's FTM to FTM 2009, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I started with FTM in 1998 and have most issues since. It improved rapidly at first and then when taken over by Ancestry it remained pretty static in operation.

Upgradng from FTM16 (2006) to FTM 2008 eventually 2009 was an education as the presentation was so different. There was a much needed new approach to this kind od software but it failed miserably to adress things that genealogits are inerested in. How anyone could produce software where you are unable to search names chronologicaly I shall never know. However one of its greatest failings is a kinship report that does not recognise multiple relationships. The assumption that everything is US related is very much an American company's failure to recognise the world is a big place and not just America. Being a Briton I do not expect first choice of place to be some small town in an American State to replace a Britsh City for example.
The software has some very good points but lets itself down badly in some instances. It needs a good look over and upgrade for 2010.

4.0 out of 5 stars great resource, 18 April 2009
J. Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I am making real progress in charting my family tree since I started using ancestry family tree maker 2009. Family tree maker comes with a intial subscription to the ancestry web site. It is really good to be able to organize sources, pictures and media files. Family tree can be stored and backup on your computer, which is an advantage over using the ancestry web site on its own. There is a great feature which offers you a hint when a match is found in the records for a person in your tree. These hints are sometimes very useful but not in all cases.
A great improvement on earlier family tree programs.

Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD)
Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum (PC CD) by Avanquest Software (Windows Vista / XP)
Out of stock