4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Editing Suite
For several years I ran a small video production company, filming and editing the product. I wanted something a little easier to operate than a full professional suite (e.g Adobe Premier) and, as I have a Sony avchd camcorder for personal use, thought I'd try this product.

Published on 7 Jan 2009 by Solario

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing
Published on 16 Aug 2009 by B. Hickley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Editing Suite, 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)

It is excellent. Runs smoothly on my high spec'd PC. (Vista SP1 2.87g Quad, 4 Mb Ram 512 Graphics.)

The tutorials get you started and with the use of the on-line help I've been able to develop a fast and simple way of editing home movies. (Cutting away the rubbish, adding titles, cross fading vision and sound)

It has also allowed me to produce a HD DVD by rendering to avchd and the using the DVD authoring software that came with the camera. (No need for Blu-ray but the DVD will only play on my PS3)

The authoring package that comes with Platinum is a litle more difficult to get to grips with but is is very versatile and allows full menu selections with scenes and animated buttons.

It really is a bargain at the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Editing Programme!, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
This is a great video editing programme at a very affordable price. It contains 90% of the features found on Sony Vegas Pro which retails at the huge sum of around £400. It can edit and render in full high definition and contains loads of file formats to render too. It also has advanced audio correction too, with advanced equalization settings, compression and presets. It has colour correction, a vital tool not found on the cheaper Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which allows you to correct the footage you shot. So if you shot under weird lightning conditions or the colours came out really weird, you can correct it easily. This powerful tool can be used to add a "Filmic" style effect or anything you want you just have to experiment.

I use the Canon FS100 Camcorder which records in a .MOD file. This would normally be a problem on most editing programmes as they would not recognise and import the file meaning I would have to convert it, which would not only waste time but cause a extreme loss of quality. Vegas Platinum however, imports and can edit .MOD files with ease in great picture quality.

Buy it, you won't be dissapointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 16 Aug 2009
B. Hickley "BrianH" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
Despite this product having a good compatibility list with both software and hardware it doesn't work with an Aiptek camera which I already have and works brilliantly. When running Platinum 9 you can view but not listen to your recordings - not much use for editing or sending to others. Created a support log with Sony who started to take the issue seriously but I went away for a weekend and on my return found they'd closed the log as fixed. Bad move from Sony. It's only fixed when the product works or a refund is issued. I now have to start all over again. Never been a great lover of Sony products but as this met all my requirements for usage I relented and purchased. Wish I hadn't now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent apart from the manual, 2 July 2009
Mr. John Moyle (Sunny Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 is a good reliable product - no crashes on a 2Ghz Pentium 4 2GB RAM XP machine. I've edited a couple of videos so far and they have all come out really well. It is a huge learning jump from Windows Movie Maker - The Adobe CE product is less of a jump, but isn't as good. I downloaded trials of this one, the Adobe one and one another - Vegas looks more professional (and therefore complicated) but can do more for the same money. The unmentioned one kept crashing, so was dumped. Do download trials to check reliability and useability.

The printed manual is pants - for instance "Title" is not in the index. The redeeming feature of learning how to use it is the "Show me How" tutorials which take you step by step through doing a task.

Last night I made three home videos from loads of footage. For the first half and hour I wanted to send it back, but after a couple "Show me hows" I got to grips with basic editing and am looking forward to doing some more advanced stuff this evening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier that Premiere Elements, 22 Mar 2010
J. Kemp (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
Having been frustrated by the restrictions of Windows Movie Maker I trialled most of the major video editing packages in my search for a product I could get on with.

Adobe Premiere Elements seems to get many good reviews, but personally I found it difficult to get to grips with. I wanted something that was straight forward, powerful and flexible, but not Wizard driven. I always find that wizards end up doing what they want, not what I want!

For me, after 10 minutes of staring at it and scratching my head Sony Vegas Movie Studio suddenly "clicked" and since then I have never looked back. If you're in the market for video editing software - which I guess you must be otherwise why are you reading this - then give the demo of Vegas Movie Studio a try. You never know, you may just like it !

By the way, it runs well on both XP and Windows 7 64 bit.

Only 4 stars because it isn't perfect, but then very little software is !

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
Pleased with the software so far but I haven't really tested it out fully. The reason I gave it 5 stars is because, so far, it is the only video editing software that I can actually get to recognise my HD camcorder Song HV30 - even though I do have to fiddle to get it to work. (But as least it does work, which is more than I can say for the various other software packages that I have tried.) So the fact I can actually record High definition content onto my hard drive and burn it to blu-ray makes the purchase all worthwhile, whether or not the software is good at editing, or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, 3 Aug 2009
H. Haynes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
The software simply works! I am delighted as I have tried numerous other packages over the last 6 months, all of which failed dismally. My problem was that I have a Sony HD camera and most packages fail to recognise the format. Those that did were slow, unwealdy and generally crash! However I bought Movie Studio on the basis of positive reviews, and I can honestly say it is both easy to use and powerful. Most of the features are intuitive, and although it was quite expensive, I think it was worth every penny. I have now transferred my new 'HD' movies to 'bluray' and it works brilliantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star editing package, 8 Mar 2009
R. J. de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
I started to use Sony Vegas 8 because I bought a camera that uses an SD card and no other package could edit the output. I still use it on an average spec laptop. I bought Version 9 after being sent a special offer, but the purchase price through Amazon is a bit lower. I have had no trouble using it or loading it. Edited footage has to go to studio achitect in order to save it and burn it to DVD; this is a bit of a learning curve still to master, but I have edited 3 short films of varying complexity and have found the output to be good, broadcast quality and altogether straightforward to use. I use a variety of video editing programmes and Sony Vegas is one of the simplest, better than iMovie, but obviously not as powerful as professional packages such as final cut or avid. It is my preferred choice to put simple edits togther; you can edit accurately for hard cuts and there are a useful range of transitions and effects you can use if you need to jazz it up a bit. However, the end results can look quite professional and I recommend this to anyone interesting in making their own movies and editing on a pc, it's a good package.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap - dont bother, 3 Jun 2010
J. Buddin (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
The first comment to make is that the 'minimum requirements' that they quote on their websites etc cannot be correct. DO NOT believe that if your PC meets those requirements that this software will be in anyway useable, it will not. I have a dual core 2.8ghz processor, running on a 64bit Win7 system and 4 gig RAM. This beats the minimum requirements by a mile, but it really really struggles to run, rendering takes hours and hours, even pulling in a movie file can take hours. I don't have a very fat graphics card, and it could be that, but nowhere do they mention this under minimum requirements. Right now it has hung, again, and I will have to restart my PC, again.

The second comment to make is that Sony have crippled this sofware to try and entice you into having to buy their 'pro' sofware (Which is identical except that some *critical* features have been un-crippled). This kind of behaviour from software houses is exactly why people pirate software, and it drives me insane.

So, now I have to run my creations through a (free, open source) third party software to get it to fit on a DVD. I count this as 'basic functionality' of a DVD authoring suite, frankly, but Architect simply doesn't do it.

If I could turn the clock back a couple of weeks, I would research Open Source alternatives instead, there are plenty out there. I was under the mistaken impression that paying for software gets you better software. It seems that these days the opposite is true.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy User, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 (DVD-ROM)
I found this software difficult to use compare to Power Director. It had some good features but overall not a program for the amateur. I'm planning to give it away or put it back on e-bay.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £14.75