4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but hard work for beginners
Vegas 9 is described as a "fun, easy way to create and share your own movies". Don't be fooled. It's very good. You can do wonderful things with it. But it's not much fun and it sure isn't easy. Unless you have experience of video-editing software, then you will find it very difficult indeed to learn.

It does come with pre-packaged effects, but I never really...
Published on 29 Jan. 2009 by Patrick Neylan

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of flaws that let it down
Its a bit of a mixed bag. The video editing is quick and pleasent enough to use once you work out what buttons to press.

Published on 15 April 2009 by Dwebst

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but hard work for beginners, 29 Jan. 2009
Patrick Neylan "Patrick Neylan" (Orpington, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)

It does come with pre-packaged effects, but I never really worked out how to use them. Even after spending about 40 hours turning my scraps of video into a 90-minute show, I'm still not sure what those 'envelopes' are or how they work. The Help section, which is sometimes excellent and sometimes poor, says a lot about 'envelopes' but without explaining what they are or why you should want to use them.

The only real mistake in the program is grouping. If you stick two bits of video together, the soundtracks become detached. If you don't spot this straight away and undo, you've had it. And the preview pane is far too small to let you resynchronise based on lip movements.

If you have the patience and are prepared to get familiar with 4am on consecutive nights, then Vegas 9 will reward your patience. If you want the simplest of video work, then Vegas will do it for you easily enough. And if you are already familiar with video editing, then you will probably spend less time than I did screaming at the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This review will help you decide if Sony Vegas MS9 is right for you.., 9 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
Ok guys here's the deal,
im going to give my opinions on Sony Vegas MS9 and im going to assure you, that by reading this review,
you will know whether or not this movie editing software is the right one for you.

first up,
this software IS very easy to use. its also very stable, and ive not had it crash or hang once.
the only technical flaw i had with it , was when i first installed it and went to use it for the first time.
i wanted to edit an mpeg2 video, but it wouldnt open due to a codec problem.
now this very problem could have been due to the free and rubbish movie editors i downloaded from the web,
and they could have interfered with how Sony MS9 worked. lets face it, all and any movie editors or even movie players
for that matter can affect another completely seperate program. this is due to all the programs sharing access to each codec.
updating sony MS9 to the latest build / version immediately solved this problem.

continuing on,
the Sony user interface was a bit foreign to me, as i was a Windows Movie Maker user.
i found WMM easy to use, but eventually , and after alot of use, i figured out how flawed it is and how
much it held me back creatively.
in all honesty , i have to say it only took me 2 hours to get used to the sony software.
it does work similarly to WMM , as in, you open up a file you want to use and it appears in a box. you then drag and drop
this file onto the time line to edit. yes, its that simple and straight forward.
if you want to do anything else like, cut, fade or split the video up into segments , all you have to do is follow
the help section which will guide you through it step by step without being annoying or too overwhelming for new users.
for an example, if i wanted to split a 5 min vid in half , all i do is locate the 2:30 mark in the timeline , click on the video
where this 2:30 mark is and just press S on my keyboard. there you go, video split in half , and you can do this as many times as you like.

adding effects are basic also. just clicking on the effects tab and dragging and dropping the desired effect to the video file will work.
there is a better, more editable way to it, but it'll take time to learn all of it.
also, all the audio on any video file can be edited too. you can change the volume and add effects. easiest way to do it is just go to the help button.
lastly, this software does not cover HD users , the highest res usable is 720 x 480 , so newer camera users may need to look elsewhere, or better
yet, send sony an email and see if they have / or will update the software to cover HD users.

so, to sum it all up,
it really is a great package to work with. ( please note i dont use it to burn my video's with , i use roxio for that )
its easy to use, has a good range of video and audio effects , and will be the main programme you use for all your video editing tasks.
trust me on this, i havent opened WMM once, since i started using this software and thats the truth.
if your tired of the limitations that free online software and WMM pose , then this is the next step in editing software for you.
if you havent used any type of video editor before , yes, you'll struggle a little to learn the ropes , but it is a better rope that you have got in the end.

highly reccomended software thats easy to use. ive used it for 2 months now and i can do effects like picture in picture - for tutorial videos, add text ,
add music tracks , blend , smooth and even add loads of video transitions to make the overall end product ( my video ) look professional.

this software is brilliant for the price and youtube is full of tips n tricks for new users, should you get stuck.
i am really glad i purchased this software and i would reccomend it to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of flaws that let it down, 15 April 2009
Dwebst (cambridge, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)

Two problems - the video importer records the audio from the camera as well as the audio from my onboard microphone! And then transfers the whole lot to the editing app - which selects the microphone audio not the camera audio. So I have to import video using Windows movie maker - not satisfactory really.

Second, the DVD architect is a separate app from the editor. Unforunately the editor has an option to encode for DVD but does not have an option to fit to disc! So after waiting 3 hours for encoding to complete my movie could not be burned to DVD unless the DVD architect re-encoded the whole thing again. The solution is to export from the editor in as AVI (no encoding) and then use the DVD architect to encode to a DVD sized mpeg file. While there isn't any encoding to export the AVI it still takes time and is an unecessary step.

On the plus side it seems reliable and the quality is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars vegas 9, 23 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
so when it arrived on time and in good condition I was very pleased with what id bought. Personally I'm trying to get onto the youtube scene and one of my personal requirements was HD options with my videos, I had assumed this would render in HD but alas it doesn't (which is completely my fault for poor product research) still I use this software to edit audio for my videos and its very easy to use and understand, id definitely recommend Vegas for anyone starting up with movie/video making of some kind however I would have to recommend the HD version just to have the option of higher quality videos. Anyway, great product and after my initial dissatisfaction I have to say Im still happy that I bought it, 4/5

any way if you want to check out my channel on youtube then just search r4fken although it may not be your thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great software, 26 April 2010
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
I was reccomended Sony Vegas by a friend and it is terrific. I use it to make holiday videos etc and it has all I need and more. I particularly like the DVD maker that comes with it.
A great package. I would recomend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reward for many hours trying is worth it, 1 May 2009
Charlosvid "Chas" (Gillingham Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
Having bought a Sony Camcorder I decided to buy the Sony Movie Maker.
Firstly it is easy to learn the basics in about 5 hours but to be half confident in using some of the items took well over 40 hours but now I wonder how I ever did without the software.
I have even tried Chroma Key with interesting first time success.
Having edited your video converting to a DVD does take some effort and perseverance and a few wasted DVD but again all worth the effort to reach the goal.
I rate this software as the best I have bought in a long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lies..., 1 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
Well, to start it looked fine on the box, and the DVD had no scratches and it got up to the point asking whether I wanted to install it. Thats when the problems started:
I clicked on install and it took a while and then a message popped up saying "Does not meet system requirments" I got quite peeved as the product cost me £14.50 (tax and delivery) so I tried it again and it didn't work.

Then I looked on the page and under system requirements and clearly says : WINDOWS 7. I have Windows 7 but when I clicked "See More" Windows 7 was not listed.

As a coustemer I feel very angry that it didn't show the proper requirments, and it was not my fault that it didn't work.

2.0 out of 5 stars False claims of compatibility, 14 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
The claim that this is compatible with Windows 7 just isn't true. Whilst I still have a computer running Vista which may be able to use it, my friend who bought the software at the same time doesn't as far as I know. I now feel terrible because I suggested it to her because the Amazon listing said it was compatible.

It seems to have installed on my Vista computer, but that wasn't the one I bought it for and I am disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
Like practically all video editing programmes this one could have been made far simpler to understand with clearer step by step instructions in WRITTEN form for the beginner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9, 16 April 2009
Mr. James D. Bustard (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (DVD-ROM)
I installed this software and registered it with no problem.
With a fire wire I downloaded a short holiday video.
I spent a few hours reading and using the Help pages for the editing process. I tried to burn a few CD's but these would not play, despite using a sony camcorder, a sony digital player/recorder. I had an error message following the burning process and then a disappointing message on the player it could not recognise the format. Finally the software has a DVD burning section and I could not get this to work and came to the conclusion it was faulty.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £28.79