5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
I have the red version of this which, at £108, is an absolute bargain! Here is my full review originally written for the black version.

Put your iPod away, this little gadget is simply unbelievable and a bargain. Here are my thoughts:

Published on 8 Nov 2008 by Dr. J. D. Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Messy software and low sensitivity FM tuner disappoints
I own an 8gigs Ipod - one generation back, and although its sort of OK for playing my music collection (I am not an Apple fan!), I hankered after a player complete with FM tuner - which of course Apple will never provide as it earns them no revenue - so I decided to buy the 16gig Sony player complete with tuner.
First impressions were favourable - it is neatly and...
Published on 20 Aug 2009 by Mr. P. J. S. Duckworth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 8 Nov 2008
Dr. J. D. Mitchell "Jon Mitchell" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FR 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red (Electronics)

It is TINY. Wafer thin, light.. you'll hardly know it is there. But great build quality. It has a slick brushed aluminium case but with a plastic edge to guard against knocks. Well thought out and so practical.

The sound quality is SENSATIONAL and the best I have heard on a player this size. Vastly superior to all Apple's offerings even with the suppplied (surprisingly excellent) earphones and for a cloth ears like me.

It is so easy to use!! Intuitive. Logical. Can you use a mobile phone? Then you can use the features on this within minutes. Forget jog wheels (so early noughties!!) and navigate all your songs and videos with ease.

Video is crystal clear although lets face it, you'll struggle with a movie on a screen this size. However, orientate the video horizontally and start downloading BBC TV programmes from iplayer.

Transferring content fom your computer is childs play with drag and drop using media player 11 (supplied).

Fantastic radio. Great for pictures.

I could go on but then you'd get bored. Suffice to say this is a wonderful little machine which knocks it rivals for six. Buy it, music lover, and stand out from the crowd!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to an ipod, 25 Feb 2009
A. Brooks "owner of far too many gadgets" (Buried under a pile of credit card statements) - See all my reviews
I purchased this about a month ago, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. It was easy to use straight from the box, the controls are very straight forward and intuitive and I was loading cds onto it within minutes.

I'm not mad on the colour - but as the red one was significantly cheaper than the black or silver one, I'm not going to complain. The headphones work really well once you find the correct size earpiece, which are included in the box. They are far superior to the rubbish ones bundled with ipods. The unit itself is very light and small. I carry mine in my top pocket at work for illicit musical interludes to break up the day and it's barely noticeable.

I love the drag and drop facility, although occasionally this does mean that the ID tag doesn't work and you end up with a lot of 'unknown' songs. The best way around this if you are a pc user is to load all your music into Windows Media Player and then transfer it over to the Walkman. You can also create playlists in WMP although I find the intelligent shuffle and SensMe Channels work pretty well.

I haven't tried uploading any videos onto the Walkman yet, but judging by the quality of the pre-loaded ones they'd be perfectly viewable, if a little tiring on the eyes due to the screen size. I don't think these are really meant to be used as video players as a primary function. They'd be fine for the odd music video or a short cartoon but I wouldn't want to watch anything longer than 10 minutes on it. Having said that, the screen seems very good. There are preloaded music videos on the Walkman, although I've got rid of most of them to make room for more music.

Overall, I'm really impressed with this Walkman. The 16Gb is plenty for most people. I also own an 80Gb ipod and there is so much free space on it, despite uploading thousands of songs and videos. This player is more convenient to carry and the drag and drop is a doddle to use. My main gripe with the ipods is having to use itunes, which I hate personally. By using Windows Media Player, I can quickly decide on the bitrate of the mp3s I upload and get them all tagged correctly. I can make playlists and easily delete/ remove any music I no longer want.

The ipod nano is truly a beautiful piece of kit, but if you are looking for substance over style, check out the Sony mp3 Walkman range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect....for me/us!, 28 Mar 2009
I spent a lot of time choosing this player as a gift for my wife. When it arrived I was amazed how tiny and light it is. Within minutes I had it plugged in to the USB port to charge for a couple of hours whilst I ripped about 70 of the wife's CD's to put on it. There is no propriertry software to install so it is literally plug and play.

Once fully charged I used Windows Explorer to Copy & Paste/Drag and Drop the 800+ MP3 tracks ripped at full quality (320kbps) to the Sony. This probably took another hour or two but it was about 14gigs worth of music.

I then set the date and time, loaded some photo's of the kids and auto-tuned the radio.

I did all this without looking at the instructions and with no prior knowledge of any other MP3 player. It really is that simple.

Things that impressed me most about this unit are its weight and size, quality of build, the sound from the headphones (I'm no audiophile though), the comfort of the headphones, ease of use and, the icing on the cake for me, the radio is simply superb.

Whilst I don't think the unit has any bad points there are some things you should be fully aware of before purchasing:
~ It has no cover/jacket - a new one costs less than a tenner; you only need one if you want to keep your unit looking nice.
~ It has no screen cover/protector - comes with the cover jacket above.
~ It does not contain an electrical charger - a new one costs £13.
~ If your MP3's aren't tagged properly, then you can't use some of the units' song finding features - it will still work; you can use the Folder approach to access your tunes.

One other accessory that has become invaluable is a cable that connects the player to our various hi-fi units dotted around the house. You've probably already got one lying around somewhere otherwise they'll only cost a couple of quid. Preparing Sunday dinner is now less of a chore with 800 show tunes blaring out!

One other possibility to consider is the bluetooth version of this player. I already have some bluetooth headphones that I use with my mobile phone and I'm not always that impressed with them - particularly when outside. That's why I stuck with the wired version; there's also less things to charge and less of a chance of me losing them!

In conclusion, I was very impressed with this purchase. I found that when the wife wasn't using it I would pop it on and I'd listen to, and enjoy, her music! The following was entirely inevitable...I was so impressed with hers that I have subsequently purchased another one...for me!

Order one now and start ripping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony NWZ-S639FR 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM tuner in Red, 7 Feb 2009
A. Willmett (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
A great little device and much better than my earlier and smaller capacity MP3 player. It's very pleasing not to have to use the previous Sony system (SonicStage) for loading the player. I decided against buying Apple's iPlayer for the same reason, that is the use of proprietary software, though I know that their owners are fanatical about them. I don't use the FM tuner, but it might be handy one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 1 Feb 2009
Mr. R. Godfrey "Godfrey" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an astoundingly good piece of kit. Beautifully made (mine was in red) small, light, intuitive controls, but just brilliant sound quality. I thought my old Samsung was good but this is really high quality audio. Don't follow the lemmings to Ipod land, open you ears, there's a whole new sonic world out there to be revealed and this Sony will show you the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Walkman 16GB + video + FM tuner, 1 Feb 2009
Very pleased with this, sound quality is excellent, it's easy to use, video/photo quality surprisingly good for such a small screen and I've happily watched TV programmes on it. Now discovering podcasts as well which the sony bundled software handles well.

I think in common with other mp3 players the shuffle is not always as random as I'd like but this is a minor quibble and sense-me feature is clever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a Joy!, 1 Mar 2009
John Wilson (Buckinghamshire UK) - See all my reviews
I had been looking around for a new MP4 after my old Archos 204 left me with no screen! I was impressed with the specification and with the customer reviews. It really is an excellent buy, easy to use, and if you get stuck there is a 166 page manual to refer to that comes as a pdf (be careful when you press the print button!) It really is a joy to use and I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending it. The three months free downloads from Napster has given me the opportunity to get some old tracks that had been gathering dust on vinyl in glorious digital sound - and the sound quality of the Walkman is noticably superior to the Archos. Only concern is that I may run out of memory!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Feb 2009
Got this fabulous piece of kit for £90 at the end of January and as soon as it arrived ripped open the packaging - installed the CD and within the hour has it packed with music and video. Yey! easy peesy! The drag and drop feature that comes up on windows sidebar is great - especially when you're charging it (it only comes with a usb charger) and you just feel like adding some new tracks - no more cumbersome software (more yay!)Good video quality (for watching on long journeys for example) and I am most impressed with the SensMe Channels (organising your music into moods)although I think I need a wider range of styles as I have about 3 tracks in "lounge" and 700 in "extreme".

All in all I love it, it fits in my pocket perfectly (and I hate having things in my pockets!), headphones are comfy and good quality. Don't sell out to apple, buy this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars sony walkman, easy to use, 6 Feb 2009
Paula Sheppard (Dorset , England) - See all my reviews
This is a breeze to use. You don't need the software just plug in to your PC and drag and click wma files easily across. This was good for me as I mostly converted CD files and then put onto the walkman. The earphones are good quality as well. The sound is excellent and it was a good price. I bought this after reading earlier reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but..., 23 May 2009
Fantastic mp3 player at a very very competitive price! It is incredibly thin and lightweight, the screen is crystal clear and the battery life is top-notch. 2 minor issues however- 1: it froze a few times and reset itself, not sure if this is a software issue but I intend to reboot the software and hopefully this will straighten it out. 2: The buttons are not in keeping with the casing, they are made from thin plastic when the rest of the case has a durable and beautiful metal finish.

Overall though, nice player and no major issues. For the price I don't think you will find better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›