5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, a must see musician
Published on 10 Jan. 2012 by Mr. D. W. Garwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Tommy emmanuel-centre stage
I still have not received my puchase allthough it's been payed for 1 month ago.
I love this DVD and have given it as a present, hopefully I will receive my purchase (2 x this DVD)otherwise I will not return tot Amazon in the future.
Published on 11 Jan. 2011 by Louis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous guitar playing, 11 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
This DVD is the next best thing to seeing Tommy Emmanuel live. Anyone who wants to see what can be done with a guitar should check out Tommy. Has anyone else ever used a guitar for percussion the way Tommy does on Mombasa? It has to be seen to be believed. Has anyone else ever got sounds from a guitar like Tommy does on Initiation? It is really amazing. And check out his Beatles medley. When Tommy plays Day Tripper it sounds like he is playing three guitars at once. The man is astonishing! Tommy plays wonderful music with fantastic technique and lots of humour. I love Richard Thompson, John Frusciante, Eric Clapton, Phil Keaggy, Steve Howe, Martin Simpson and many, many other great guitarists, but Tommy tops the lot! See him live if you can, but in any case, get this DVD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - apart from feeling airsick..., 8 May 2010
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
Tommy Emmanuel is a gifted composer, arranger and player. (If he's the 'man' then have a look at the 'boy' - Joe Robinson - also from Australia who I saw perform with the legendary Lee Ritenour in California a few weeks ago.) Although a different player there are resonances with Antonio Forcione, who also does wonderful things with his guitars. I loved the DVD and the audio was, on my relatively modest Bose speaker system, really good. But... yet again, we have trainee-junior-sub-assistant-would-be Hollywood camera operators and directors let loose for the first time with shiny new cameras who seem to think that a constant diet of swoops, cuts, spirals, fades, dissolves and odd angles will impress us! Well what I want to see - especially on a recording of a music show - is the performance. Please - just film it! Maybe I've already transmogrified into a grumpy old man but after a couple of tunes I would have loved to have had a button on my remote control which could 'freeze' the camera. Hence the acerbic comment about feeling airsick...

That aside, it's a fabulous performance and I'm now looking at Tommy's website to find a suitable venue to go and see him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, a must see musician, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
I first saw Tommy on Youtube, playing classical gas. There and then I was in awe at not only his ability but the feeling he puts into playing the instrument. I felt compelled to buy the DVD for my spouse for Christmas and as intended, the whole family sat around the television and everyone was captivated by this incredibly talented guitarist. A must have for anyone who's got an appreciation for shear musical talent, and especially those who enjoy the guitar!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 16 Mar. 2011
M. T. Ashworth-jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
Wish I'd bought this sooner.. I'm an amateur fingerstyle guitarist and seeing just what the acoustic guitar is really capable of inspires me no end. If your like me and your not impressed by superfast technical playing i.e. music with no melody or soul.. then this will amaze you. T.E. has it all - great ability AND feeling too, a rare combination in guitar players. The production of this DVD is also flawless and I cant stop watching it or get some of T.E.s wonderful tunes out of my head. He's the Fred Astaire of the guitar in my opinion - unrivaled and moving to watch. For me his slower songs are what acoustic guitar music is meant for, yes his very clever use of the guitar for percussive sounds on tracks like Mombassa is nice to watch, and shows his great sense of rhythm and timing, but it's not for everyone. I wish there were more DVD's like this on the market. A wonderful DVD at any price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtuoso performance, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
I was switched onto Tommy Emmanuel by accidentally recording a PBS America programme which showed him playing with Les Paul shortly before Les passed away. Tommy played as a foil to Les' playing which was a study in how not to spoil a solo with too many notes. I then saw him play a concert recorded in the US which changed the way I appreciated acoustic guitar playing.
Anyone who has seen Tommy rip through " 9 Pound Hammer " will never look at acoustic guitar music ever again in the same way.

This DVD is as good an advert there is for Tommy's talent; his technique is a cross between Django Reinhardt, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Les Paul himself when he was younger and played with extraordinary speed and accuracy - see Youtube to check him out.

This DVD is a great mix of incendiary and melodic playing; if I was being very very picky I would say there are other DVD's or shows on the internet that are as good if not better BUT do not let it put you off. Tommy is a destroyer of guitars - albeit over a period of time - par excellance only because of the way he uses every facet of the guitar to produce sounds you will never forget - " Initiation " is another example which is unforgettable.

If you have never seen him, prepare to have your life changed......

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy Emmanuel - Centre Stage, 26 Mar. 2009
T. J. Buttle "riggie" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
Tommy Emmanuel - Centre Stage [DVD] [2007]If you have seen Tommy Emmanuel in concert then this DVD is a must and will meet all your expectations. With surround sound you really are there with him - to enjoy over and over again. If you havn't seen him live then just get it and you will be in the next ticket queue. How a guitar player can perform like this is beyond comprehension. All guitar players must watch Tommy at work and wonder how he does it so effortlessly. He tours non stop all over the world. Catch him in a town in a country near you. The ***** rating I have given this DVD is really not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Masterclass, 22 July 2010
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
I saw this guitarist for the first time at MIM Phoenix Arizona one of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen & I ordered this DVD 25 minutes after the concert thats how great his guitar playing was... Buy it....Enjoy it's pure magic....By the way prior to seing him live I had never heard of him my son said Dad your have got to see and hear this guy he's great....He was right on both counts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy Emmanuel, 7 July 2011
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
I was looking for a Tommy Emmanuel CD for my husband, but after reading other reviews I decided to buy the DVD, am I glad I did, my husband absolutely loves it and although I wasn't sure it was for me I sat through the whole DVD and enjoyed it immensly. My husband would now like more by him. He is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best !!, 13 July 2009
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
I have seen Tommy live in concert many times and have all of his CDs and DVDs. He is simply the finest fingerstyle guitartist that I have ever seen. On stage he is funny and very entertaining. This DVD is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to laugh and toe tap till your foot falls off, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Center Stage DVD [2010] (DVD)
I consider this to be one of Tommy's greatest live shows, and he really is on top of his game for this show. His energy and and enjoyment in what he does and happiness shines though and really transforms the show into a night to remember. All of the songs he performed are catchy, country, bluesy, you name it he has got a style to suit everyone.

A trade mark of Tommy as you may know is using his guitar to play, all the parts at once and it's brilliant to watch, and even more fantastic to watch him use is guitars as drums as well. The song "Mombasa" has an amazing drum solo at the start and at the end of the song, and the song "Initiation" is just a mind blowing performance.

If you love Tommy, you must purchase this more than amazing DVD today!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Center Stage DVD [2010]
Center Stage DVD [2010] by Tommy Emmanuel (DVD - 2008)