5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction
This is a small book, that serves as an excellent introduction to Autism and Aspergers syndrome.

Published on 9 Jan. 2009 by James T

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - stereotypical, bias, lacks nuanced understanding
As someone recently diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult I was interested in gaining an understanding of the current understanding, and this book seemed like it would provide the answers.

My main issue with this book is that it presents only a stereotype of aspergers i.e cold, controlling, and difficult. This may describe many with Aspeger's but there is much...
Published 3 months ago by Robin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction, 9 Jan. 2009

Baron Cohen chooses a great way to illustrate the nature of these conditions. He introduces the reader to 2 young men, both 19, one has classic autism, the other Aspergers. We then learn the behaviour of these 2 individuals. This is fascinating and would be re-assuring to both parents and those that have the condition.

The book then moves on to a short history of autism and Asperger's.

After that, there are chapters on diagnosing the condition and evaluating where a person might be on the 'autism spectrum'.

The next chapter introduces us to the existent theories of what causes Autism and Aspergers. None of these are conclusive and the reality is that we just don't know. Though Cohen is adamant that genetics plays a large part. There is a chapter on the biology of autism and Aspergers, noting the differences in brain composition and function.

The final chapter focuses on intervention, education and treatment.

The main part of the book is about 120 pages. At the back, there is a questionnaire (known as AQ, which can also be found on the internet) to test for autism traits. There is also a list of organisations, for most countries.

The author is very sympathetic to the condition and his empathy shines through. He has taken great care in presenting the information in a cogent and concise manner.

To someone who knows nothing, or just a little, about Autism and/or Aspergers, I'd thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and informative, 20 Dec. 2010
We realised our son was autistic when he was four years old. We bought and read a number of books. This was the first I read and I am a massive fan of Professor Baron-Cohen's plain speaking but very uplifting manner. The autistic mind is differently wired, but how many times have I read the word 'abnormal' - it isn't abnormal, it is atypical, often brilliant. Baron-Cohen strikes this chord.
When we went to meet the educational psychologist and paediatrician in order to diagnose our son formally, they informed us he has Asperger Syndrome. Thanks to our reading (not least this excellent book) we were able to question this. "We thought he had high-functioning autism?" we said.
"High-functioning autism IS Asperger Syndrome." these 'professionals' told us. We pointed out critical points necessary in the different diagnostics, not least his speech delay. Eventually we received in writing his official diagnosis: High-functioning autism. Frightening that so-called professionals were so ignorant.
This book details the differences between different types of autism. Professor Baron-Cohen gives you all history of diagnoses, 'treatments', the different theories, their pros and cons. He tells you what has definitely been discovered and that which should form the basis of future research.
If you have an autistic child, you will nod as you read through this book, as you recognise so much, and be fascinated as other concepts are explained. Take my advice (I followed advice from an online review I am glad to say), make this your first read.
If you care for an autistic child, you NEED this book to inform you. I work in education and am horrified by the majority of people assuming they know all about autism, yet have fundamental and huge misconceptions - don't let that be you.
If Professor Baron-Cohen reads this - thank you. At the time you find out your child is autistic, you can hit quite a low. This book informed me in an incredibly uplifting way. The future isn't 'all roses', but the better informed we are, and professionals who have read this book, the better it will be for children like our son.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want real, eloquently written scientific research about autism..., 15 Sept. 2008
This is a fantastic book for both parents and researchers new to autism. Nothing is 'dumbed down' but Baron-Cohen writes in a very readable, engaging style that, even if you know nothing about the subject of autism, will make you want to solve its so far very elusive mystery.

Highly recommended, along with Baron-Cohen's other books in the area ('The Essential Difference' is very good if you want to explore the gender aspect further, something Baron-Cohen introduces in the book)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great primer, 18 Dec. 2009
Mr. Nicholas James Ryan "Highbrow Nick" (Budapest Hungary) - See all my reviews
This book explains what Autism and Asberger Syndrome are in a very clear and readable way. It contains some interesting examples of how Asberger Syndrome people think in a different way, as well as samples of screening questionnaires. It also contains a lot of useful information- for example the addresses of Autism help groups in many different countries.

What the book did not provide was much practical advice for families of sufferers of these disorders- how to deal with them on a day to day basis.

None the less this is a great "Primer" for anyone who has little prior knowledge of the subject. I thorougly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The facts from an expert who listens to you, 11 April 2009
Mr. Aj Baugh "xrd" (hull) - See all my reviews
Superb book from a sympathetic expert who does not judge, Buy it. It is good. Brain scanning is explained as well as statisical systems of analysis such as venn diagrams and standard deviations of the normal distribution for IQ analysis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most up todate Understanding on the current learning on Asperger's Syndrome, 16 May 2009
I have Asperger's Syndrome, am married with a young son.

Overall this is an excellent book on Asperger Syndrome and well written by Simon Baron-Cohen (Director of the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge) going into great detail about the history, science and genetics behind the probable causes, past and current theories including Baron-Cohen's own new Empathizing-Systemizing (ES) theory of Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

The book is easy to read explaining the psychological and biological characteristic traits of Asperger's Syndrome and possible interventions and education that are or claimed to be useful.

With many books I have read on Asperger's Syndrome it appears the support the Asperger gains from their family and the sensitivity and understanding from their spouse is of Paramount importance and makes a big difference in helping the Asperger integrate into social society.

I highly recommend this book for those who wish to have a thorough up to date understanding of the fundamentals when it comes to the current learning and knowledge of Asperger's Syndrome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy guide to Autism and Asperger's, 27 Jun. 2010
Mr. R. Linkiewicz "R. Linkiewicz" (Dolans Bay, NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
With the incidence of autism and Asperger's increasing at an alarming rate, this small book is a most convenient and informative guide to the conditions. The author is a recognized authority and the book is written in a style which makes things simple. It could almost be titled "A Dummy's Guide to..." It is concise, handy and easily read. So if you are a parent or relative of someone with the condition, a lay person who needs to find out more about the subject or just interested in the study of autism and Asperger's, this is the ideal starting-point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Exceptional, 9 Jan. 2013
With this book, and being autistic myself, this was great for learning the facts, causes and information into Autism and Aspergers. This will come helpful for my EPQ project on Autism on the Extended family, and I send my regards to Simon on publishing this book, one of my best reads.
If you need a book for Autism, this is the book for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 6 Oct. 2012
Philip (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autism and Asperger Syndrome (The Facts) (Kindle Edition)
This book is clearly written and outlines the essentials on the subject. Consider this as a springboard to further detailed reading. Written with an accessible tone but containing an academic bent, and the author is an expert in the field. The kindle sample does not do the content of the book full justice and almost put me off, but the reviews and the index made me change my mind. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Austism and Asperger Syndrome (The Facts), 22 Sept. 2012
I found this book concise, easy to understand and very insightful. It clearly defines the difference between austism and Aspergers. It does what it says on the tin and gives the facts of the syndrome in language that is accessible to the average person. I would highly recommend this book.

Autism and Asperger Syndrome (The Facts)