5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA THE ALBUMS
Published on 9 Nov 2008 by Vaughan Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars The ABBA cash cow is milked again...
...and just in time for Christmas!

Difficult to see who this set is really aimed at. On the one hand, the casual listener is already well served by the numerous ABBA compilations currently on the market (there are or have been more ABBA Best Ofs than there have genuine ABBA studio albums); on the other, the serious fan will be disappointed by the lack of...
Published on 22 Nov 2008 by Steven Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA THE ALBUMS, 9 Nov 2008
Vaughan Davies (guernsey, channel isles United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
So Universal cash in on ABBA by releasing all their eight studio albums + another featuring some rare out takes. Why? Well it's to cash in on the huge success of Mamma Mia The Movie. And before you ask, yes there is more to ABBA than just ABBA Gold! Having been a fan since they won the Eurovision Song Contest back in 74, I used to anxiously await each new release with much excitement and I was never disapointed! These 9 cd's covering the groups entire output, are offered at a bargain price so this is an excellent reason to buy this set.
A real chance to listen to each of their albums in full. ABBA sold huge amounts of albums not just singles, so be prepared to hear some great tracks that were not released as singles and did not appear on ABBA Gold! Arrival is my favourite album of ABBA, hitting the top spot just when ABBA were at the height of their success in Australia and the rest of the world. Hidden Gems are When I Kissed the Teacher and Tiger. A year before, the self titled ABBA had the beautiful I've Been Waiting For You whilst the Waterloo album boasted My Mamma Said and Dance While the Music Still Goes On which should have been a single in the summer of 74. Move ahead to 1977 and The Album has Move On and a real progression for the band in Eagle. Voulez Vous starts with As Goos As New (not a single in the UK) and If It Wasn't for the Nights(origionally planned to be the first single off Voulez Vous). 1980's Super Trouper has the wonderfull Me Myself and I, plus the poignant Andante Andante, The Piper and The Way Old Friends Do ( which was recorded live at Wembley during the groups last UK tour in November 1979).

The Visitors was their last studio album and contains a gem in I Let The Music Speak - musical theatre in one song! Also the simplistic and heavenly Like an Angel Passing Through my Room.

So please take my word for it - there is so much more to ABBA than just Gold and Mamma Mia. So do get this collection especially as it is offered at a bargain price, and listen to each album as you realise there was so much more to ABBA than just the hit singles!

5.0 out of 5 stars When All Is Said and Done, 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
The review by Vaughan up above is absolutely first class and just wanted to endorse his claims. There are so many hidden gems within these 9 albums and this would probably make a fine welcome Christmas present for an Abba family member or musical friend.

In particular, the bonus 17 track CD is worth getting with a couple of Swedish song versions, plus Elaine and Happy Hawaii highlights. So many of these wonderful tracks tracks are not on the Mamma Mia movie. The Day Before You Came, One of Us, Me and I, Like An Angel Passing Through My Room, Soldiers, My Love My Life, Head Over Heals, Kisses Of Fire, I've Been Waiting For You and When All Is Said And Done make up my top ten ABBA.

A glass in hand, good music and Dance while the music still goes on, over the holiday season and beyond, what could be better.

Hasta Manana.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abba the albums, 17 Feb 2009
J. Kewn (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
Excellent Abba collection of eight studio albums plus a bonus album of mixed tracks and a 40 page booklet.
Albums are the following:
Voulez-vous
Super trooper
The Visitors
Bonus tracks album
Good value for money collection on cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best box set IN THE WORLD, 25 May 2011
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
This is quite simply the best CD I have ever bought. Every single album is fantastic. For Abba fans it's a total MUST HAVE. I've already had my money's worth out of it - it is amazing value for ten albums. I can't stop listening to it. If you grew up with Abba this will bring back amazing memories and there are lots you might not have heard before which are just as fantastic as their better known songs. It's a joy to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA - The Albums, 11 Sep 2009
Mr. R. E. Hopkins "Rob Hopkins" (Evesham, Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
This is a must for any ABBA fan. The feel good factor from the first to the last track is fantastic. My 11 year old son is also hooked! One of the best buys you can make - you won't be dissappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection, 7 Feb 2009
T. Kavanagh "tony" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
In which ABBA's 8 studio albums are gathered together in one box with an additional disc of bonus tracks. Almost all of ABBA's material. Almost. If you're willing to forego the nice packaging - understated box, replicated original outer sleeves plus a timeline booklet - you could buy online at iTunes and get a slew of extra tracks not included here. Those tracks can be downloaded individually - but should one really have had to do that?

On the plus side, the remastered sound is crisp and detailed. The artwork is true to the original (larger format) releases. This all makes for a cute (if slightly fragile) memento for completist fans. For someone who really wanted to plunge into discovering the *real* ABBA, this set is really reasonably affordable.

Listening to these albums in sequence is a fascinating demonstration of how brilliantly ABBA developed over the years - from the frothy let's-see-if-this-works genre-hopping of the "Ring Ring" album, right through to the emotional punch of the extraordinarly beautiful "The Visitors" album. Hearing the albums as they were originally released works extremely well. This shows how bonus tracks on re-issues can sometimes derail a great album.

I have deducted one star for the shunting of certain bonus tracks to the online version only. But, in other respects, this is a great set. To be fair, Universal are showing much more respect for the ABBA catalogue than Polydor did in the 90s.

5.0 out of 5 stars been a fan since i was eight! finally glad to have the full set of albums on cd!, 30 Sep 2009
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
As my headline has stated, I have been a long term fan of ABBA since I was young. My dad grew up with this band, so I kind of inherited my love for them.

The first thing that struck me was the price: it was a bargain at around 20.00!

My favourite album of theirs is probably the disco album Voulez Vous, but The Visitors and also Arrival have many various gems.

I love the fact the cute CD cases are replica's of the original vinyl sleeves, and the bonus CD's of rarities was interesting, to say the least.

The only things I didn't like were the exclusion of Super Trouper bonus track Put On Your White Sombrero. I'm not a fan of that song, but as a completist it would have been cool to have it in this collection.

The 1980 Spanish language album Gracias Por La Musica, unsurprisingly, has sadly not been included in this collection. I Am The City (a personal favourite- 9/10) and Just Like That (as yet haven't heard, or though has partly been released before) also were not included, which I think is inexcusable considering this set includes the dire You Owe Me One (1/10), which was also recorded during the same demo sessions as the former two in 1982. And the accompanying collections booklet was dull, to say the least.

But these are shallow criticisms, as the albums are quality, and all the singles are present. The box is fine to look at and the whole product is beautifully presented.

ratings of albums and favourite tracks on each album are as follows:

Ring Ring (1973): (5/10)
Ring Ring (English version) (9/10)
People Need Love (7/10)
He Is Your Brother (8/10)
Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough) (6/10)

Waterloo (1974): (6/10)
Waterloo (English version) (9/10)
Dance (While The Music Still Goes On) (10/10)
Gonna Sing You My Lovesong (10/10)

ABBA (1975) (7/10)
Mama Mia (10/10)
SOS (10/10)
I've Been Waiting For You (8/10)
I do, I do, I do... (7/10)

Arrival (1976): (8/10)
Dancing Queen (10/10)
When I Kissed The Teacher (8/10)
Tiger (7/10)
Knowing Me Knowing You (10/10)

The Album (1977): (7/10)
Eagle (10/10)
Take A Chance On Me (10/10)
One Man, One Woman (8/10)
The Name of the Game (10/10)

Voulez Vous (1979): (10/10)
Voulez Vous (9/10)
As Good As New (10/10)
If It Wasn't For The Nights (9/10)
I Have A Dream (10/10)
Chiquitita (10/10)

Super Trouper (1980): (10/10)
Super Trouper (10/10)
The Winner Takes It All (10/10)
Lay All Your Love On Me (10/10)
On And On And On (7/10)
The Piper (9/10)
The Way Old Friends Do (10/10)

The Visitors (1981): (10/10)
The Visitors (10/10)
When All Is Said And Done (10/10)
Soldiers (9/10)
I Let The Music Speak (9/10)
Slipping Through My Fingers (10/10)

B-Sides And Rarities (2009): (6/10)
Fernando (10/10)
Summer Night City (7/10)
Gimme Gimme Gimme... (10/10)
Should I Laugh Or Cry (10/10)
Cassandra (10/10)
The Day Before You Came (9/10)
Under Attack (8/10)

As a whole I give this 4.5/5. I think this is a very fair rating and I'll round up to a whole 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the moon., 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
Sorry this review is a little late. I ordered the Albums for my Dad for Christmas. He used to have these years ago on vinyl. They arrived as stated. My Dad was "over the moon" and he is so happy that he has the fab four ABBA back in his life :) Thank you so much, what makes my Dad happy makes me happy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
ABBA made better albums than anybody. This is a wonderful set of all the original albums (apart from the Spanish album) and a bonus disc with songs that were not on the albums but only on singles. Recommended for everyone who likes ABBA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - hit after hit!, 8 July 2010
This review is from: The Albums (Audio CD)
Cant recommend this box set enough.... it has the whole ABBA collection, which is an absolute joy to listen to. Its been on non stop every weekend ever since! Wonderful gift idea - our friends were very impressed and said they'd be really pleased to get this as a present. Buy it, you wont be disappointed.

The Albums
The Albums by ABBA (Audio CD - 2010)