Size: 58mm|Change

on 6 September 2010
The Marumi DHG Super CPL isn't cheap but it really is outstanding regarding performance.

If you are looking for a high end Polariser, it provides a standard I have yet to see rivalled for the price from any other manufacturer.

An independent test and review of many popular Polarisers can be found here - [...] (link deleted by Amazon)

To summarise the results from the extensive test - I confidently based my choice on them - the Marumi DHG Super CP came joint first (identical results) with the significantly more expensive B+W Slim KSM C-POL MRC 72 mm.

Both filters performance and low distortion exceeded the Hoya, Kenko, Fujiyama, Sigma, Tiffen and lower spec B+W filters on the market.
Most folks run to Hoya for all their filters, nothing wrong there as the company makes some fine filters at various price points (avoid the super budget stuff though) But in this case it's worth looking at other makers too.

Marumi are a make I've been using for a few years now, and I've been very pleased with their products overall.
This Polariser isn't cheap, you can hit the usual auction site for bargains (some are ok, some are not) The DHG is the digital high grade range of filters (the super DHG has an additional coating on it to aid cleaning)

At this price you start to get good quality, but without the B+W wallet busting price. This filter outperformed the B+W CPL filters on lenstip's testing, and most other makers too. In the real world it's well made, with a slim frame so vignetting is less of an issue on wider angle lenses.

Rotating the filter is smooth and without any grinding, optical quality is very good with an excellent polarising effect on images.
As a side note a CPL is useful for a few areas in photography

- Removing reflections on non metallic objects, and for effect in Landscape photography (darkening of the sky and increasing contrast)

I tend to use them mostly for removing reflections which can be useful for product photography or items in display glass, but the effect can also be handy for cutting out water reflections too. If it's not metal a CPL will kill reflections with ease.

For scenic work a CPL can be very useful, however I'd resist the temptation to use one all the time, or to always use one "dialled up to the max". When you rotate the filter the effect of polarisation becomes stronger, but there are times when you might not want to use it at it's strongest. In short a very useful filter (I'd buy a step down ring for smaller filter sizes it can get expensive otherwise), though to be used when required and with some caution (with wider angle lenses you get edge darkening with a CPL this is the effect of polarisation not vignetting)

It's also worth noting you do lose some light with a CPL

The Marumi is a good filter, well made and with good optics, there can be some very slight flare when used with strong light sources, though many rivals have a little here too. Having used both it's hard to say which to go for the super has additional coatings (which makes it easier to clean) both are good though and a clear cut above some cheaper rivals.
review image
on 4 July 2013
While I am relatively new to the world of interchangeable lenses and filters, I have learned the value of this brand very early on.

I initially bought cheap filters, which was fine for poorer quality glass I guess, but as my lenses got sharper (and more expensive), I found out how much they can really mess up the quality of decent glass.

Played around with the idea of some of the more established, and despite knowing the down side of cheap filters, was not going to pay the cost of something like the B+W. Read some good stuff about Marumi, and thought I would give it a go, and boy am I glad I did.

Still relatively expensive compared to the cheap ones, but reasonably priced I think. Though when you stick them on your lens, and notice how little your image quality is degraded, it becomes very much worth it.

I only have one 77mm, which I alternate between my several lenses, using an adapter for my 72mm lenses, and will one day purchase a proper 72mm (as sometimes can be a pain to get off the adapter).

No doubt a 5 star product.
on 16 May 2012
I purchased this polarising filter for my sony nex-5n kit lens. It is smooth and do the job very well. I am very happy whit it. I tested it in my last trip to london and I noticed very little or no vignetting even in wide angles. Great product.
on 1 July 2014
This product was delivered with 48 hours of order and was packed well. This is the first polarising filter i have purchased and i am using it with a third party wide angle lens. having done lots of research i soon got the impression that it was not wise to go cheap on these filters. This filter was by far the cheapest but it was no where near the top end of the price range. I was tempted by other filters but heard about scratches and fakes , after reading numerous reviews i choses this one and am glad i did, I have taken a few test shots and wow , the difference it makes is amazing. The sky in my shots now looks blue and it changes the feel of the photo , i am looking forward to spending some quality time with this filter and will update the review afterwards but on first impressions i feel it is going to help me achieve some great looking shots.
on 22 May 2012
I read a few on-line reviews before buying this polarising filter as i had previously bought only Hoya and B+W.This filter is very nicely made, the multi-coating is excellent giving much lower levels of reflection than on my Hoya circular polariser. It is a very thin mount so should not cause a problem with wide lenses. Colours are neutral and extinction is good.
on 12 July 2011
At this price level you've got right to expect top quality. And so quality this filter has. I've did some extended research before my purchase and this was one of highest rated polar filters. After testing I can only agree with all reviews I have red. It's good purchase. If you need polar filter and you know what effects you could expect you won't be disappointed. It's much cheaper than comparable products from B+W or Heliopan too.

The good
+ ring works smoothly
+ easy to clean
+ robust
+ great homogeneity
+ small reflections

The bad
- it's expensive anyway
on 8 December 2013
According to this review, it shares 1st place with B+W while being significantly cheaper: [...]

I'm using this filter with my X100 and absolutely happy with the results. You can;t go wrong with this CPL.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2011
"Instant better photographer" when taking pictures in bright sunlight. Makes colours pop and pictures significantly more dramatic. Indoors it can be used to adjust the amount of reflection from glossy surfaces/glass. Highly recommended.
on 6 July 2014
The Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarising filter, has had a very good review on lenstip.com, comparable with the B+W, which are considered the best generally. Being a bit of a cheapskate and also interested to see how well the filter would work, I went ahead and bought a 77mm (and since a 58mm).

Circular Polarisers are one of the few filters I will use (the over being ND filters) and they can do a very good job of, getting rid of reflection, haze and other issues, which are either very hard or can't really be cleaned up in photoshop. The big issue can be that, you do lose optical quality, with cheaper filters and you do lose light, which depending on the day can be good or bad.

I have used the polariser for a couple of jobs now and it does a good job, generally. You can't do miracles but, it does what it is meant to do and does it well.

Marumi has released a recently released a new top of the line circular polariser the Exus, which promises improvements over the DHG Super, though it is more expensive.