5.0 out of 5 stars Volume Limit Removed!!
I recently bought this iPod classic from a local PC world on sale after my previous 7th Gen classic died after dropping it one too many times.
I have decided to post a review on here as it might help some customers wondering if the Volume cap issue was addressed by Apple.
Published 16 months ago by Traffic

Published 21 months ago by Oskar Pig

5.0 out of 5 stars Volume Limit Removed!!, 29 Dec. 2013
Traffic (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black - 7th Generation (Electronics)
The good news is yes, it has been. With Firmware version 2.0.5 there is an option to Disable "EU Volume Limit" within settings.
The bad news is that most existing iPod Classic 7th gen owners are unable to upgrade existing 2.0.4 firmware revisions.
I'm not sure if this was done consciously by Apple in order to make customers go out and buy new iPods but it's a possibility.
I have tried to upgrade the firmware of my friend's iPod classic 7th gen from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 but it simply does not work. There are various forums confirming the same problem.

If you are in the market for a new iPod classic and were worried about the much reported volume cap then you can rest assured it's been addressed. just make sure you pick up the latest iPod classic 7th Gen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music player with a huge capacity, 4 Jun. 2014
Timothy Jones (Northants) - See all my reviews
There is a lot of choice when it comes down to portable devices for on the go entertainment, from basic storage / playback "boxes", through gadget rich touchscreens, to audiophile quality FIIO type mp3 players.

I wanted a solid multimedia capable device with proven reliability and quality, which has a track record of surviving the rigorous commuter trip or longhaul flight, and with a battery which lasts the journey. In addition I needed a capacity which did not require a high level of selectivity when deciding which of my extensive music and video libraries to transfer to the device - an issue that I found increasingly frustrating with my previous 16GB Nano.

This led to just one option - the 160GB IPOD Classic. Massive capacity (I just sync my entire library), long battery life, iconic design which I actually prefer to touch screen, colour screen, and still small enough to be incredibly portable with shirt pocket sizing.

Provided you can live with apple software limitations I would have no hesitation in recommending the Classic as a must have accessory for reliable on the go multi-media.

4.0 out of 5 stars All good things come to an end., 16 Nov. 2014
The best music player until now. I am not an Apple fanatic (except for my Beatles LPs) so I hesitated before buying my first iPod Classic. I needed something simple to plug in to the car Hi-Fi, with enough capacity to take all my music. I now have 45Go on it.
I don't like the iPod touch, and as soon as you want big capacity, they are hellishly expensive. You can't change the battery, so one of these days, my iPod is going to be Kaput. So I have bought another one as Back-up. This is already justified, as 2 months after Apple discontinued the Classic, buying a new one on Amazon is already double the price ( £400 for 160 Go+).
I tried other MP3 players before getting my iPod, but they were too complicated for use in a car.

1.0 out of 5 stars 7th Generation/6th Generation - all the same product just a different price, 9 Aug. 2013
Apple don't describe the current iPod Classic 160GB model as either 6th Generation or 7th Generation, it's just that the current iPod Classic model followed the 5th Generation and vendors have taken it upon themselves to label it such. Since the 5th Generation models the iPod Classic 160GB has been through two iterations - fat and thin. Originally the 160GB capacity was achieved through a dual platter hard drive - hence the fat descriptor. Since the Classic 160GB's relaunch in 2011 it has used a single platter hard drive - hence the thin descriptor. This model is exactly the same as: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation. Do yourself a favour, save £30 or so by buying the current model described as 6th Generation as it is exactly the same as this model but cheaper [think about it why don't amazon.co.uk directly sell the 7th generation model - because it's no different to the 6th generation model, that's why].

5.0 out of 5 stars Ipod Classic 160gb, 27 Feb. 2012
This has to be one of the best ipods ever with a huge storage capacity and impressive sound. I have had several ipods (nano, classic, touch and the ipad) and although I love the ipod touch and my ipad, the largest capacity for both is 64gb which is quickly filled up. I use the classic for hundreds of audio books (thank you Audible!), podcasts and of course loads of CDs.
The sound on the 7th generation is better because of an upgrade to the hard drive -apparently. Geeks will know more than me about this than me. All I can say is that if you are a serious listener you need this ipod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 9 Jun. 2014
I have had several mp3 players but never considered Apple before. But I was looking for good quality, large memory for my cd collection. This did it perfectly nice design and very easy to use. Good buy and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars, 3 Oct. 2014
My Ipod Classic died after a couple of months of use, but I'm not going to give it a bad score because of that. I loved it otherwise and am getting a direct replacement from Apple. In saying that, I didn't drop it and it wasn't exposed to liquids, it just started freezing, I reset it and couldn't get back into it after that. Just a big red X on the screen. So I'm being generous here!

It does exactly what it says on the tin. Stores a crazy amount of music at the highest of sound quality and that's all I wanted. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple candy, 27 May 2014
Well this just looks as sweet as it works. Best MP3 on the market in my opinion, holds more music than anything else ive found. Top quality kit from Apple

1.0 out of 5 stars Good enough product. unfortunately delivered second hand, 12 April 2014
Gadget Outlet have done a horrendous job at trying to cover up the fact that this is second hand. It is incredibly obvious; no screen protector on front screen, dust marks/finger prints/wipe marks on screen, poor attempt at putting a cover on the back (loads of air bubbles. Would Apple really do this?), the ipod arrived in SLEEP mode (not off; it should have the apple logo when you turn it on), and when I synced it up it says it is formatted for Macintosh ( i don't own any macs and the previous user obviously tried to restore it on his mac). Avoid Gadget Outlet at all costs. They are scammers and are charging full price for a substandard quality product. Thanks a lot gadget outlet.

4.0 out of 5 stars The only 160 GB Option, wish it worked like my Nano, 9 Jun. 2014
K. Odell - See all my reviews
I bought this because I've outgrown my 16GB Nano. I do like that it's a physically bigger thing - the Nano is ridiculously tiny - easy to lose. But I don't like the interface nearly as much. I liked the Nano's touch screen. This requires sort of dialing your finger around the donut to scroll. And I know that when I have 100+GB of music, that's going to be a LOT of dialing. Also, this device chooses to display artists a little differently. I like to go to Artist, then album. Well, if some of your albums have collaborations on them, like is common on many rap albums, you have that song on an extra artist listing. So my one single Tupac album creates about six different artists listings. I'd rather it were all just under "Tupac" like it was on my Nano. I don't know why it's different. It just adds to the irritation of dialing through more artists.

I like the size of the device, as I mentioned above. I prefer a bit of heft. And I like that this device is significantly louder than my Nano was.

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black - 7th Generation