5.0 out of 5 stars pure class
her voice is enough to give it a five, the lyrics and music are a plus.
this album is truly brilliant, all round brilliance, the best songs being:hand in my pocket, you learn and ironic.
buy this!
i picked it up for a quid at a jumble sale and didnt really to be honet think id even like it.... but now i play it all the time, its amazing!
Published on 20 Jun. 2004 by S. Ardern

3.0 out of 5 stars Jagged Little Pill
Have heard a few tracks from this album over the years but I have obviously heard the UK or European versions. This US version is ok but I don't think it will ever make it to my must listen to playlist. It's a shame that these tracks don't come up to scratch when compared with other Alanis Morrisette tracks I have but at £2.99 I can't really complain and it may grow on me...
Published on 9 Feb. 2013 by Denwalt

5.0 out of 5 stars pure class, 20 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
her voice is enough to give it a five, the lyrics and music are a plus.
buy this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 4 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
1. All I Really Want - A fantastic opener, and the opening guitar riff will be in your head all day! The lyrics in this song are really well-thought out, however it does lack a bit of 'oomph'. 4/5

2. You Oughta Know - Wow. This song really shows off Alanis' voice, and is a great song to listen to loudly when you're really annoyed! It starts off nice, slow and relaxed, and then explodes into the lively chorus. One of the best songs on the album, I think. 5/5

3. Perfect - On first listen, it appears a bit slow and dull, after the first two amazing tracks. However, listen to it a few times, and it grows on you. 3.5/5

4. Hand In My Pocket - This is a nice track to ahve on in the background, but, like All I Really Want and Perfect, it lacks the big chorus that You Oughta Know has. 3.5/5

5. Right Through You - Like You Oughta Know, it starts off slow and relaxed, and then the fast-paced chorus comes in. 4/5

6. Forgiven - A nice hearfelt song about the Catholic religion, probably one of my favourites4.5/5

7. you Learn - A nice 'pop' song, and a nice catchy chorus and verse. 4/5

8. Head Over Feet - This is a really nice song, and fits well with You Learn. 4/5

9. Mary Jane - Still not too sure about this one. It's a slow one, and it seems to have a slightly melancholy side to it. 4/5

10. Ironic - Another one of my favourites. The chorus really gets you going, and all the things that happen make me smile a little ;) 5/5

11. Not The Doctor - On first lsiten, this was a favourite of mine. Immediately draws you in, nice and catchy. 4/5

12. Wake Up - This one seems to lack a little bit of something. Not too sure what though, but still a good song. 3.5/5

13. Your House - The hidden track after Wake Up (Or a different version of You Oughta Know on some versions). On the first few lsitens, it just sounded like a depressed woman warbling. But when you actually lsiten to the song, rather than having it in the background, it's a really ncie song. 4/5

Overall, a great album. The whole thing fits really nicely in with each other. My only complaint is that some of the songs don't have the same catchy feels that the gems like you Oughta Know, Ironic and other have.

Also, this is a very different album to her next, Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. All I Really Want sounds the most like the sort of thing on SFIJ, so if you like that, you may like her next aswell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sentimentality, 25 July 2006
Shell (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
I was a young teenage girl when I first heard this album. I coveted this album; I enjoyed its energy and ballsy attitude towards the antagonists in Alanis' life and I loved that, even though I barely understood the nature of its lyrics, I could so easily remember those words and relate to them in my own way.

However, I'm alot older now and I can appreciate its intellectual value as well (alright, so it's not Homer). Alanis, although barely in her 20s at the time of writing, seems to have nailed some of people's most elusive behaviour through her effective use of metaphors, personification and similes. And she has written so much of this album in the second-person narrative; perhaps the reason why I felt so close to the album as a teenager. Whichever you listen to this album yourself, you will probably relate to its issues of trust, failure and expectation which, for Alanis' young perspective, are surprisigly astute. And angry. This is part of Alanis that you may not want to indulge in too much; there's alot of negative energy that just doesn't need to propositioned as a burden of your own.

So, listen at your discretion and comfort, and don't believe everything she says! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars I never get tired of this album, 24 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
'Jagged Little Pill' was recently voted at number 42 in 'Q' music magazine's best 50 albums of the last 15 years. We're talking alongside Radiohead, Sringsteen, U2 and all the other music greats. Personally I think Alanis' music is a fantastic change to the current obsession with trashy teen pop which regurgitates the same old stuff every month. Pop artists bring out crappy albums in quick succession, but we have to wait over 2 years for something new from the truly great artists. This album has stood the test of time in my cd collection. There is a song for every mood (although non-fans claim Alanis is depressing.) Every one of her songs has something to say about an aspect of life, from religion to relationships. Alanis consistently produces some of the best lyrics I've heard in a long time. Its too easy for female lyricists to be labelled negatively, but anyone with brains can she this woman has talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars "...Perfect...", 4 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
I'll make this short and sweet: Undoubtedly, Alanis at her best, arguably, the best album *EVER*. If you've just heard Ironic, and thought it was ok but forgettable I beg you to purchase this, Ironic isn't even the the sixth best song on there, it's one of those albums everyone has to own, and after a good listen, I'm sure you'll see why.
A timeless masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best piece of Alternative music EVER!, 8 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
An inspiring album that is peaceful, enjoyable and at the same time one you would want to dance along with. Jagged Little Pill is still Alanis' best album ever as well as being one of my all time favourite albums!
The hit of the album for quite a few people was the Grammy-award winning single of the year "you outta know"! Well...not exactly my thoughts. My friends and I always loved "ironic" even before the video was released. "Ironic" is a peaceful, fun, alternative musical theme that you would want to play constantly. It's Alanis' biggest "CD single sales" track being certified gold. If you enjoyed "thank you" you would enjoy this single. It's one of my all-time favourite records (see listmania list). Alanis is a great singer with a fabulous voice and a great writer. If you happen to enjoy this album you should check out "rug under swept" and "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". But if you're only going to buy one Alanis album, this one should be it.
Ironic- The hit of the album for me. This alternative/pop trackis peaceful and very enjoyable.
U outta know- A rock bad-tempered constructive single.
Hand in my pocket- good voice variations and a good constant background beat.
You learn- A sweet catchy beat, second only to "ironic".
Head over feet- Another enjoyable new age type catchy single.
Wake up- the album's longest track, a solid sweet alternative rock hit!
Different songs in their own way make this album one that would be enjoyable for all Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Celine Dion, Enya, Shania Twain, Christina Aguilera, and U2 fans! If you like this album you should check out some of her other works (mainly "thank you" and "hands clean")!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very very best from the nineties!, 14 April 2006
Tim Burness (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
An astonishing album that came from nowhere to take over the world in 1995. It still sounds brilliant today and it would be somewhere in my list of all-time favourite albums. This much soul, naked feeling and uplifting intelligence rarely co-incides with massive commercial success.

Every song on "Jagged Little Pill" is strong, even the odd one I personally am not so keen on. A freshness and energy come through on every track. On later albums Alanis sometimes comes across as self-indulgent, even self-obsessed, but here her screaming and ranting just sound honest and genuine. This woman has really had enough of being treated like dirt, make no mistake! Alanis goes right into her emotional and psychological troubles but empowers herself and the listener at the same time.

The production by co-writer Glen Ballard is subtle and not too sophisticated, which serves the songs well. The final song "Wake Up" is one of my favourites, a call to get up off your backside and take responsibility for your life. I love this album. Thank you Alanis, Glen Ballard and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A defining 1990s album, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
Growing up in the 1990s, "Jagged Little Pill" was one of those albums that one simply could not escape, even if you wanted too. Not that I did want too, though. Out of nowhere, this Canadian blows up the charts with the vehement wrath of "You Oughta Know", and we were all left shaking our head going "Who the hell was that?" Of course, although "Jagged Little Pill" is her international debut, she had two albums before this (the 1991 "Alanis" and the 1992 "Now is the Time") and a demo single (the 1987 "Fate Stay With Me/Find the Right Man"). These two albums were significant sellers in Canada, but most people outside Canada had never heard of her until "Jagged Little Pill".

In a way, I can't help but think Morisette, like Bob Dylan, was something of a product of her time. By the mid 1990s, alternative/grunge was going strong (although signs of the impending self-implosion were already grossly evident), and the "women in rock" movement was bludgeoning away any possible male domination. Likewise, I don't think Dylan would have had the massive impact that he did initially had he started in any other decade besdies the 1960s.

"Jagged Little Pill" is very much an early adult/late teenager album. Alanis hits on so many themes - bad parent relationships ("Perfect"), the meaning of religion (specifically Catholicism) ("Forgiven"), the heady froth of new love ("Head Over Heels"), coming to terms with who you are and learning about life ("You Learn"), and the roles of gender relationships and clearly defining who you are in relation to your lover ("Not the Doctor"). One song "Ironic" literally plays out as though a high school student or young college student in a beginning English class wrote a poem about so called "irony".

Naturally, there are also plenty of angst and pure, unadulterated anger at an unnamed lover who spurned a young Alanis. Although she has never revealed who this person is, this sexual relationship she had with this older man, as well as the aftermath of the dissolution of this relationship, surfaces again and again on not only "Jagged Little Pill" but through several subsequent albums. Her anger is so real and vital that it becomes the principal driving force behind the album, and each song is informed by her wanting to come to terms with her life.

One of the most interesting facets of "Jagged Little Pill" is just how successful Alanis was. "Jagged Little Pill" is the biggest selling debut by a woman, and yet, listening to the record, you can't help but be a little surprised that so many people connected to this music in such a grandios way. I don't mean that as a slight, just an observation. The music is highly insular. When you listen to "Jagged Little Pill", it's almost like you are listening to highly personal diary entries that just happen to be set to music. The lyrics are largely emotional cartharis to the pain that Alanis has gone through in a highly personal, unique setting. Yet so many people were able to relate to Alanis.

Alanis said of her 2012 album, "Havoc and Bright Lights", that "a song starts with the seed, or the essence of an idea. I far prefer writing about the personal and the micro in a concise way. That's what interests me. Rather than paint overly broad strokes, I'd rather write about the one-on-one of personal interactions. And then allow it to be a commentary on the more macro effects we see in the world, from there."

And that, I feel, is what makes "Jagged Little Pill" such a unique success story in the annals of rock. Her vocals are unconventional and rather cauterwalling at times and her lyrics literally read like straight diary entries which haven't been edited, and yet the music is so relatable. Perhaps people have taken Alanis's descriptions of highly personal situations and were able to relate them to their own situations.

Like I wrote in my review of "Havoc and Bright Lights", each record that Alanis has released is an aural snapshot of her life at the time. "Jagged Little Pill" is very much an exploration of the life of a young woman's psyche. Although some of the lyrics feel amateurish and some of the emotions rather everyday and plain, that has more to do with being young an inexperienced. Perhaps it is this exploration that caught on for so many other people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angry on the surface but empowering at its core, 13 Sept. 2004
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
When you talk about the biggest albums of the 90s, you certainly have to talk about 1995's Jagged Little Pill. Alanis Morissette, to my mind, came to represent a version of the new woman of the 90s, leaving no questions as to her feelings and, some might say, demands. Decades ago, Aretha wanted R-E-S-P-E-C-T, but Alanis wants much more than that, and as far as I'm concerned, she deserves it. Apparently, at least one guy did Alanis wrong at some point; some women get mad, some get even - Alanis has the strength to do both. I for one love a strong woman.
To many, Alanis burst on the scene from out of nowhere with this mega-smash CD. I have one of her first two albums, so I know better. As a teenager, Alanis actually found stardom in Canada singing, of all things, bubble gum pop. I know - it's hard to believe. I don't think any artist has ever undergone such a radical transformation as Alanis did from her teen albums to Jagged Little Pill.
Do I even need to talk about the songs? Were any of these tracks not smash hit singles? It all started with You Oughta Know, which was a revelation of sorts to many radio listeners. Harsh, angry, a little perverted, cursed with a couple of those silly bleeps radio stations just have to use - this was something different, and it just so happened to rock, as well. Alanis says everything all the good girls wronged by bad guys want to say but cannot to the heels in their lives. Right Through You comes in from the other direction to hit the target; Alanis, as a new woman of the 90s, is far too smart to fall for all the shuck and jive guys try to sell the ladies. She knows what guys want, but she is not about to let herself become nothing more than a conquest some jerk can brag to his friends about. Experience has been one of her teachers, as described in the song You Learn. I think the song Forgiven plays into this theme, as well, although it's a little too complex a song for me to claim I fully understand it - it's got some of the edgiest, most passionate lyrics on the album, though. Of course, nobody's Perfect (clever segue, eh?), and life truly has a painful tendency to be Ironic at just the wrong times, but don't dismiss Alanis as some angry psycho-beast. She knows and likes herself, she knows what she wants (Not the Doctor vividly describes what she does not want), and Hand in My Pocket proves she is perfectly all right out there on her own. Wake Up, she urges the rest of us, and go get what you want rather than pining away waiting for it to find you. That very love that sends a person completely Head Over Feet is still possible - although you might have to go through a long line of jerks to find it. You don't have to become like Mary Jane, letting yourself waste away without hope.
In the end, Jagged Little Pill is not as angry an album as it might first appear. This music is all about self-empowerment, standing up and believing in yourself, living life with both eyes open and a never-dying sense of hope. I think a spirit of optimism runs through this music, negating the angry sentiment that lies on the surface. I've barely talked about the music itself from this album, and part of the reason why, I believe, is the fact that Jagged Little Pill is one of those rarest of albums, a collection of songs that transcends the music and speaks to the listener's mind and soul. Let it also be known, lest there be any doubt, that - to quote many a reviewer of music in this little online community of ours - this album totally rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY this album now!, 7 July 2002
This review is from: Jagged Little Pill (Audio CD)
This is probably one of THE best albums there is to own. I'm not exagerating, this is a must for all music fans. It's slightly poppy and mix of rock and grunge but if you liked "Ironic" and "In My Pocket" the rest of the album is full of these gems - even the hidden track at the end of the album is good.
Its feelgood but also good to chill-out to. It's a fun album, and I guarantee that even if you dont listen to it all the time it will still be one of those albums you get out every now and then - unlike several other albums you may already have.
Take my advice and buy this - even if you think you might not like a few tracks - YOU WILL!

Jagged Little Pill (U.S. Version)
Buy MP3 Album£3.49