5.0 out of 5 stars Rewarding on so many different levels
It seems strange that when someone mentions "great female singer-songwriters", very few can come up with the name Rickie Lee Jones.
Well, Jones is not only one of the great female singer-songwriters but she is also one of the great songwriters of any gender and generation and her buoyant, energetic debut proves it.
Released in 1979 but mostly recorded during...
Published on 20 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely album - flawed copy?
I bought this album purely on hearing Steve Gadd's perfect playing on the first track. I tried copying it onto my computer and after an UNBELIEVABLY long burn time (30mins+ for ONE TRACK) it was unlistenable; really distorted and crackly.
Published 9 months ago by bebop ninja

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewarding on so many different levels, 20 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
Released in 1979 but mostly recorded during 1978, when Jones was still just 23 years old, RICKIE LEE JONES is one of the forgotten albums of the last 25-30 years, a huge hit when first released but forgotten soon afterwards. If all you have to go on is "Chuck E.'s in Love", you don't know much about Rickie Lee.
This record encompasses so much feeling and plenty of different genres; Jones seems comfortable with rock, pop, funk, R&B, jazz and folk, and she is an able pianist and a sublime guitarist. "Chuck E.'s in Love", her only major hit, is a great swinging, jazzy tune but not the best cut on the album.
Jones' humour is displayed on "Chuck. E", the similarly upbeat be-bop of "Danny's All Star-Joint" and the lounge jazz-y "Easy Money", which in effect set the ball rolling for Jones when Little Feat frontman Lowell George first recorded it.
But she shows unmatched emotion on such cuts as "On Saturday Afternoons in 1963", a piano ballad that has become one of Tori Amos' favoured live covers, the cabaret of "Company" and, particularly, on the beautiful "The Last Chance Texaco", one of the album's best compositions.
Jones' hipster chick persona comes across on "Coolsville" and the groovy "Weasel and the White Boys Cool", both peppered with interesting characters (the album is consistent in that characters such as 'Bragger' appear more than once), but she is not gimmicky by any means (she really did lead the "jazz lifestyle").
RICKIE LEE JONES is an album that combines so many different musical elements it is rewarding on numerous levels. With each listen, new touches and flourishes leap out and it sounds remarkably fresh, 25 years after its original release. Her vocal mannerisms may put some people off (she has a tendency to change volume frequently and miss out letters of words), but no one can deny she is a vocalist of immense elasticity and a songwriter of extraordinary depth.
After you've heard this, you'll be addicted. PIRATES is next...

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow. And then wow some more., 24 April 2006
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Ricki Lee Jones. I was watching an episode of the TV shows "Alias", and heard this beautiful song - one which was unique enough that I could still remember it after only one listen. I found out online that it was "On Saturday Afternoons In 1963", by Ricki Lee Jones.

Sometimes I'd put the "Alias" episode on, just so I could listen to this song. Then I heard it at the end of an episode of "House, MD" and decided to take the plunge and buy her album (with my office Grand National sweepstake winnings!). It arrived today, I've just finished listening to it as I type this, and wow.

I also found myself bopping along to the more upbeat song, like "Chuck E's In Love" (I knew the song but hadn't realised Ricki Lee Jones sang it).

"On Saturday Afternoons In 1963" is one of the rare ballads on the album (along with "Coolsville"), but you know, I'm SO glad I took a chance and bought this album, because this is something special. I might even play it again straight away.

I think with its pure piano melody and haunting clear voice, "On Saturday Afternoons In 1963" has just catapaulted into my top 10 favourite songs. And that's no easy task...

5.0 out of 5 stars This debut still shines, 22 Feb 2006
pseudopanax (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
This is one of the most assured and unique debut records ever released. The vocal style and songwriting marked her as a true original and undisputed heir to Joni Mitchell. The jazzy rhythms and vocal loop de loops, the infectious grooves and bluesy melancholy of the work is entrancing. On Saturday Afternoons in 1963 is heartbreaking in its piercing nostalgic sadness, whilst Danny’s All Star Joint is a bopping joy. It’s all here; the ups and downs of street life are moulded into perfect compositions that have resonated through the years since the album’s release. Rickie Lee Jones has continued to record, and although she doesn’t sell in the millions as she did with this debut and the equally brilliant Pirates, she is still doing her thing regardless of public interest. A true artist in a time of shallow performers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
I have been a fan for years. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
I used to have this on tape and bought it again recently. It's just a brilliant album. Love every song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this album for 35 years now!, 3 Mar 2014
Elizabeth Burney (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (MP3 Download)
Only had it on cassette so decided to move into the 21st century and download it. Not disappointed, just as fantastic as it ever was!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely album - flawed copy?, 16 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Late night stuff, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
Revisiting Rickie Lee as she has been doing some limited gigging and I saw her recently. I think she is making a mistake doing big concert halls, small jazz venues would suit her much better. No matter that she is of senior years now, she still sounds good. It only seems recently that this came out- but it was back in '79. What a great voice. Also available is a five album box set from Rhino.

5.0 out of 5 stars Body and soul, 24 May 2013
Geezer (In the right) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (MP3 Download)
There's some music you grow your brain and bones round. For me, this is one such. I played this until I couldn't hear it anymore, then it disappeared into the ranks and I forgot about Rickie Lee Jones (which suggest she didn't come to UK half enough nor loudly enough). A few decades later I'm washing dishes and the iPod throws up Company and.... Let's just say very manly and gruff tears blurred my vision. I got the compilation Duchess of Coolsville and realised that she seems incapable of making anything but body-and-soul-grabbing music. Now excuse me while I rope that steer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old memories, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD)
Had the original vinyl and decided to update. It's been ages since I've listened to the whole LP but its just as good.

Rickie Lee Jones