on 13 May 2011
Why buy a stainless steel flask?
Stainless steel flask are more compact and lightweight than their glass equivalents.

Why buy this model?
For the well-designed pourer/stopper and because it keeps the contents hot or cold for much longer than more basic models.

Is it easy to carry?
Yes. There are silicon-type bands and the top and base for grip. The cylinder is narrow enough to grasp comfortably. The flask fits easily and securely into a Lifeventure water bottle pouch and the exernal mesh pockets of a PacSafe VentureSafe 300.

Why is it a good flask for hot drinks?
The flask contains enough hot liquid (0.5 litres) to keep you warm on a cold day of hillwalking or hiking, without the weight of the filled container becoming a distraction.

Why is it a good flask for cold drinks?
It contains enough liquid to keep be worth carrying in the heat of summer (the same amount as a 500 ml carbonated drink bottle), yet is not so bulky or heavy that the filled flask becomes a distraction. As the filling aperture is much wider than a normal soft drink bottle, the flask can easily be refilled from taps, public water fountains, or other bottles. Better yet - the aperture is wide enough that ice cubes can be added.

Update
I have now had this flask for two years. It still performs just as well as when I first purchased it. The rubber and silicone elements are still in excellent condition and the thermal qualities just as good as when originally purchased.
11 comment49 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2013
I bought this as a flask for winter walking in the Scottish Hills. I've had metal flasks before, but without fail they lose heat fairly quickly. I was looking for something that would not only give me a scalding hot cuppa at the beginning of my walk, but would keep the remaining liquid really hot.
Yesterday I filled the flask with tea at 10am, preheating the flask and having the water boiling hot. I stopped during the walk for lunch, had several small cups of tea, and when I was emptying my rucksac about 4pm, the remainder of the tea was still scalding hot. Today I walked in the snow clad hills, -5c at the top, and enjoyed really hot soup which had been in the flask for 4 hours, and which I had to let cool before I could drink it. I had the remainder when I returned to the car a couple of hours later, and it was still very hot.
Great flask, certainly well-named Ultimate.
11 comment17 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2010
I love this flask, really does do all it claims. Well worth the extra cost.
on 27 January 2012
This is the Rolls Royce of Thermos. Compact, light, stylish, leak and dent proof. Tested it with hot water: 24 hours later, the water was still hot. Highly recommended.
on 15 November 2010
Great flask-contents still hot after 8 hours
Ideal flask for work-2 decent sized cups
Expensive but well worth the extra cost
on 1 January 2014
I purchased this flask as my little Supermarket basic flask is basically poor and that is being generous. I spend a lot of time outside with my dogs - often 8-10 hours a day and my demands are much higher than most folk. If I make hot coffee at 0700 I really want it to be hot at 1200 at the very least. Maybe even 1500 would be nice. The Supermarket version [£5] was luke warm at 0900 and cold by 1200. hence it is now in the recycle bin.

On the other hand, my new Thermos 0.5 Litre one is brilliant. It is still so hot at 1500 it will burn your mouth if not careful. It is so good at keeping liquids hot that it is still hot enough to drink 24 hours later.! This is a serious flask designed and aimed at those people who want a flask to work very well in tough demanding conditions. Its not cheap, but I don't regret spending that much on a flask.

My advise. Buy one, look after it and it will serve you well. Totally committed to its performance, design and quality.

Richard Edwards. South Wales UK
on 3 November 2014
I bought the thermos Ultimate flask to store boiled water for baby formula and I have to say this flask is excellent. At first, I was hesitant over paying a high amount for a flask but on balance I think it's absolutely worth. The boiled water is kept hot all night which makes life so much easier when you have twins!!

PROS
- Excellent thermal performance for storing boiling water
- Looks good - it's less garish than the product image!
- Lock makes sure the seal is tightly sealed
- Perfect size

CONS
- Very minor niggle - spout can pour oddly so you need to be careful not to spill water. But you get used to it and I'm probably jjust nit-picking.

CONCLUSION
Excellent flask which is pricey but offers great value for money. It seems to keep boiled water for much longer than the usual standard thermos flasks. Hope this is helpful.
on 6 June 2013
This is without doubt the best flask I have ever owned. It just works - no fuss - and never lets you down.
on 6 August 2013
Received as present in Jan '13. I was astounded by the efficiency in keeping coffee hot even after over half the contents had been used.
On one occasion, after filling with hot coffee at 0700, taking drinks out at about 1030 and again at about 1300 I still found the remains of the coffee too hot to drink immediately at about 1530. As this "expedition" was in fairly deep snow, over 2000ft up on the Glyderau range when several of our group found that their water bottles, inside their rucsacks, were frozen solid, it was very impressive. The flask had been in an outer mesh pocket of my rucsack all day!
On many occasions, coffee made and not entirely used on one day, was still hot on the following day.
Then:: dismay. In late July when I filled the flask, the outside was immediately hot and the coffee was cold a couple of hours later.
A 'phone call (Thurs) to a very helpful Amazon representative resulted in my contacting my son on whose account the flask was bought.
My son contacted Amazon the following morning (Friday) and then called me (he lives over 250 miles from me)to say that I should receive a replacement flask the following day (Sat)and that Amazon were e-mailing me with a non-standard pre-paid return label to allow for the fact that the original purchase was not on my account.
The flask arrived by 0900 on the Saturday morning and was successfully "christened" at over 2400 ft in wind and rain on the following day.
The original may have failed but the performance up till then, together with the superb service from Amazon really warrant more than 5 stars.
on 7 July 2015
My son recommended this flask having used it on visits to the Welsh mountains in winter, and confirming that it really does keep drinks hot for 24 hours. I bought it for my elderly father who is immobile and consequently, once in his chair, is there for the day. His carer makes up a flask of tea in the morning so that he can help himself throughout the day between carer visits, and the tea is still hot the next morning when they come and refresh it. Excellent product, well designed and it really does perform as described. Highly recommended.