4.0 out of 5 stars HANDY FOR KIDS SCHOOL TRIPS

1.0 out of 5 stars Better products are available
Published 20 months ago by anniechan

4.0 out of 5 stars HANDY FOR KIDS SCHOOL TRIPS, 2 Dec 2009
A. SHAW - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thermos Everyday Food Jar, Stainless Steel, 0.5 Litre (Kitchen & Home)
Borrowed one of these of a friend of mine when my son went on a school trip. He's not keen on sandwiches and prefers hot food. Managed to almost fit an Innocent Veg Pot contents in it. So long as you warm the flask first with boiling water (like it says on the instuctions) then the food stays hot. He went at 7am and didn't eat his lunch till 2pm and he said it was still lovely and hot. It got lost coming in the post from Amazon but they sent another one which arrived fine. It's small enough to fit in a lunch box which is better for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!!, 28 Sep 2011
I had been looking for a good quality flask for ages, so when I found this one I ordered it straight away. It arrived even earlier than originally estimated (after just 2 days) and I started using it straight away. Some of the other reviews on here say that this doesn't keep the food particularly hot...well that depends entirely on how hot the food is to begin with and also how long you pre-heat the flask for. I put freshly boiled water in the flask the night before I want to use it, and add a fresh batch of hot water first thing in the morning. I then make sure whatever food I'm putting in is piping hot, and usually it stays that way until lunch time (a good 5-6 hours later).

I've found that soups and stews tend to stay very hot. The first few mouthfuls are on the hotter side of warm, but as you get further down the food gets hotter. I have definitely burnt my mouth a few times by being too keen! Rice also stays very hot, but my experience is that pasta doesn't. It doesn't get cold, but it's only warm/luke warm and not hot after 5 or 6 hours.

In terms of the size, I think it's just right. You can fit in the same amount of food that comes in the average sized rectangular takeaway container. Obviously for soups and stews this is quite alot, but for rice it's not so big. I have gotten to the bottom a few times and wished I'd had an extra mouthful or two, but I'd rather have that feeling at lunch time than be so full that I'm falling asleep at my desk in the afternoon. If you generally eat bigger portions at lunch, then I'd recommend getting one size up. It's also worth mentioning that food stays hottest when the flask is filled to it's capacity, so don't get the bigger size unless you're sure you're going to fill it. If you're still a little unsure about sizing, it might be helpful to fill a jug with 0.5l of water and then pour it into a bowl to see roughly the amount of food you'd get. You can do the same with rice too. It's what I did, and it helped me get a better idea of what size flask I needed.

Cleaning the flask was also very straight forward. I just rinsed it out with hot water and a bit of soup, and it was good as new for the next day!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 1 Oct 2012
Richard JC Mason "NoWireHangers" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this bit of kit and don't really understand what the 1/2 star reviewers are talking about.

I simply follow the instructions that were provided with the flask and it keeps things lovely and hot for hours.

Generally I'll pre-heat the flask with boiling water straight from the kettle and clamp on the lid for 10/15 minutes, then, just before I'm leaving the house I'll microwave my soup, or pasta, or rice, or leftovers, or whatever until they are piping hot, unscrew the lid of the flask, tip away the hot water then tip straight in the piping hot food and clamp on the lid.

This last part of the process, the filling and final closing, generally happens at around 8am just as I am about to leave the house for the day. I generally eat at 1330/1400 ish and the food is still lovely and hot - I don't mean warm, I mean hot, hot "that you have to blow it to cool it before eating it" hot.

I have been known to eat as late as 1445 and again it is still hot.

I think the trick is; to ensure you pre-heat, make sure the food you're adding is piping hot, and don't leave the flask empty at any time between the pre-heat and the actual filling with food.

I love mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 17 Nov 2010
I was a bit unsure about ordering this given some of the reviews, but thought for the low price it was worth a go. Filled with boiling water whilst I was warming the soup to go in it as instructed.
I filled it at 8am, and the food was nice and hot at 2pm, so very pleased with it.
Could only be improved by having a spoon/fork attached perhaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, 26 Jan 2011
I have been using this for a couple of weeks now to take soup to work for lunch. The only time it was not hot enough was when I didn't make it hot enough to start with. As long as the flask is properly warmed with boiling water and the soup is boiling hot (bubbling from the microwave) when it is put in, it is always so hot that I have to eat slowly at lunch time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thermos for Food, 11 Dec 2009
G. Duncan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Very good. Make sure you warm it up with boiling water before you put the food into it. Stays hot for at least 6 hours. Great for soup, portion size is too big for a child however even when half full the contents stay hot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Better products are available, 3 Dec 2012
This item does not keep food hot for very long. Also after the second use the bottom of the flask had started to discolour (it looks like rust marks to me). Customer service said I should clean it with a stain remover (they suggested bicarbonate of soda). My gripe is that this had "stained" after just the second use. They didn't even reply to my request for a refund. Maybe it was just my purchase that was "defective". I've since bought another flask (another well known brand) and it's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thermos Food Flask, 3 Mar 2012
I bought 2 of these for my daughter's to take hot food for lunch at school. They are great in the cold winter months. Soups stay nice and hot and I can even put my daughter's favourite (macaroni cheese) in it, and she says it is still warm at lunch-time. You just follow the instructions and warm with boiling water for about 15 mins or so before filling. They also fit into childrens lunch bags with room to spare. Can't recommend these enough for mums like me who like to know their kids are getting something warm and filling in the colder months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good food jar, 11 April 2010
The Thermos Everyday Food Jar, Stainless Steel, 0.5 Litre has been a big success for me. I am using it on a daily basis to make and bring warm food with me as an alternative to an ordinary packed lunch. And it works great. It keeps the food well warm for good time (have never experienced yet that the food is too cold). And even though I bring it in a backpack that gets bumped here and now, it has not taken damage (of course, it would perhaps not be able to handle a hit on sharp edge or so, but that could no Thermos product handle anyway). So overall, a very good product that I definitely can recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not keep food warm, 1 Dec 2013
Sadly I have missed the 30 day deadline to return this product. Foolishly I bought this in advance of the cold weather. I tested it with boiling water and it kept it hot but I have tried soup in it and it didn't work. Five hours later the soup was stone cold. Obviously you can't boil soup or you ruin the flavour. I felt sure it was going to work because the brand is usually really good and I read loads of positive reviews on here. My advice to people is not to waste your money on this and to be mindful of the 30 day returns policy.