on 22 November 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A few months ago I succumbed to Serif's highly effective marketing and bought a copy of Page Plus 11. A DTP programme roughly equivalent to what Microsoft Publisher was five or more years ago for a tenner? Not a bad deal at all. I eventually got sick of the "register me" nag screen and registered the program. Not long after that I had a phone call from Serif trying very hard to sell me version 13 of Page Plus for something like £99. The caller couldn't believe that I found version 11 quite sufficient for my needs. Leaflets and small booklets are easy enough to produce and the .PDF file support is wonderful. I'd recommend Page Plus 11 to anyone looking for a basic DTP programme.

What has this got to do with Desktop Publishing Suite 2009? Well, when I opened the package the first thing out of the box was the manual for Page Plus 11, followed by a leaflet saying that once I registered I would receive the Resources Guide that came with the stand-alone Page Plus 11 I bought a while back. For the record PP11 dates back to 2005...

Desktop Publishing Suite 2009 also includes Draw Plus 8, a perfectly adequate drawing/graphics program first released in 2006. And as if that weren't enough, from 2007 we have Impact Plus 5, for all those distracting web animations that annoy everyone but the maker.

I'm aware I'm being harsh about this, but Serif are being way too cheeky with this release. The only way that 2009 comes into this suite is that if you pay by credit card, that's when you'll get the bill. The software is good - Page Plus 11 alone would be a good buy at £25 (if the resources disk was included) - but I'm marking this down by two stars for the misleading "2009" which implies the latest versions.

Buy it: it's good value. But don't be taken in by the "2009" nonsense: only Impact Plus is the most recent version while Page Plus is now up to version X3 and Draw Plus is up to version X2.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I use Serif (PagePlus 11) desktop publishing at home and don't profess to be a computer expert.

I really like this product, having recently upgraded from Pageplus 5. I use it for my hobby of cardmaking and also for ad hoc projects, such as drawing up a menu or making a poster.

I find Serif really easy to use and I particularly like the ease with which items on a page can be aligned and squared. I am sure Serif probably has many more features than the ones I use but as a card maker I have found the following really simple to use and invaluable:

*Importing pictures and clipart.
*Creating a box exactly the size I want.
*Designing and printing a page with no margins.
*Tons and tons of really nice fonts.
*Alignment and centralisation of text/images.
*Rotating and reversing images.
*Conversion to pdf
*Coversion to jpeg etc

I particularly like that Pageplus is not over complicated and pretty intuitive to use. I don't suppose it is as advanced as an application like Photoshop, but it has always been able to do everything I have wanted and I haven't needed any training to use it!

I have added images of basic projects I have completed! You can find them in my profile.
review image review image review image review image
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 11 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was looking for a simple to use desktop publishing package for business purposes. I found Serif Desktop Publishing Suite 2009 extremely easy to install.

I was happy to find a 230 page manual included, which meant I wouldn't have to search online for help and could flick through the manual at my leisure in an armchair. However, I didn't need the manual too much as I found the on-line set up reasonably intuitive.

I used the business card template to print out cards with very little time invested. At first glance, there didn't appear to be a business invoice template or anything remotely resembling one, even though the box boasts 1,000 templates. I could only find: brochures, business cards, business stationery (comprising blank forms, compliments slips, envelopes, letterheads), calendars, flyers, fun, gifts, greeting cards, invitations, newsletters, PDF forms, photo scrapbook, postcards, posters, samples and web sites. On consulting the manual, I found that the rest of the templates are located on the Resource CD, which I installed and spent ages trying to access but eventually found that they just added themselves into the above list, unbidden. Once located, the business invoice template worked fine.

The extra resource CD adds the options of expense report, fax cover sheets, gift voucher, inventory list, memos, purchase order, quotes and time billing.

The calendar template proved fun and I successfully printed out two customised calendars which where reasonably straightforward to do (and my mother and mother-in-law loved as presents!).

It says you can also create PDFs from this - so I'll be trying that out in future too!

I thought this package was reasonably easy to use and pretty good value for money.
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For the novice user this software is as fully featured as other manufacturers products.

This has all the wizards and options you need to start producing your own quality products.

There are also a plethora of more complex tools which I'm sure would satisfy the most experienced user. Within minutes you could be producing calenders, cards, newsletters and so much more.

The layout of the screen will be instantaneously familiar to anyone who has used any other DTP software, the icons are all representative of what they do.

I could give a long and more featured review, but to put it simply - if you want a quality DTP program at a fraction of the price of many competitiors then I would happily recommend this. You will not be disapointed.
on 10 January 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I chose this product because every other member of my family had a use for it from professional business reasons to simple homework so it would get a good road test. Without exception they have found it simple to use with outstanding results and would recommend it without hesitation. This is going to get a lot of use in our house.

I'm about as IT savvy as a Viking and even I can use and understand the software. I can't compare it with other similar products as I have no experience and neither did any of my family of other publishing software, but this is tremendous good fun and value for money and produces exceptional results.
VINE VOICEon 4 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although Serif claims this to be the latest 2009 suite it doesn't actually contain the very latest Serif software. For example the PagePlus contained within is actually PagePlus 11 (we're now on x3) and DrawPlus is just DrawPlus 8 (we're now on x2). So what you're getting is not a collection of the very latest in Serif's output but a sort of cheaper all-in-one. Of course for £25 you're getting all you need to start creating, it just won't have the very latest features.

Having used Serif's latest PagePlus and DrawPlus there really isn't a great chasm of difference in the earlier versions. The user interface is still very easy to use (modelling itself on Adobe's illustrator and Photoshop). PagePlus 11 gives you a wealth of templates and graphics to start building projects from scratch. I easily made a brochure for our Guest House within an hour and there are enough features to tinker around with it for many more hours to come.

DrawPlus is a little less impressive in this earlier incarnation as it doesn't offer a Flash animation tool. Sadly it reduces it to just a vector drawing programme that matches up with some of the MS graphics programmes I already have. Not as impressive as x2 but for creating logos and decorations for your work it's enough to get by on.

ImpactPlus 5 is also included. A simple 3D creating programme that turns text into 3D to add a little more impact to cards or labels. Not overly exciting though.

Overall Serif's DTP suite 2009 is not as up to date as the "2009" part would suggest, however when you look at the price you realise your getting a good deal for £25. For those on a tight budget it offers enough to create some good quality designs.
VINE VOICEon 22 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The installation is pretty straightforward; there are no gotchas to worry about, and all-in-all the application feels very professionally put together.

Serif Draw Plus
---------------
This is a drawing application similar to Adobe Illustrator. It has very good wizards and allows you to set up a variety of publication types.
The software is also eally easy to use and you're not overwhelmed by options.

Serif Page Plus
---------------
This is a really professional DTP package, and worth the price of the whole package by itself. It has fanastic example templates to get you started and lots of tools to use to create your document. You can import existing documents if you already have created your text in Microsoft Word (for example), and it also allows you to output your creations to PDF. Page Plus is also very easy to use, and as already mentioned worth the price of the whole package.

Serif ImpactPlus
----------------

To be honest, I'm not sure why this package was included, as it's not particularly good. The output quality of the 3D it can produce looks amateurish at best, and if you're serious about learning 3D, you'd be much better off getting the 3D Studio or Maya Learning Editions. than using this.

I would have given this suite of applications five stars had not included the 3d application, as this tool drags down the overall quality of the suite in my opinion.
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lets be clear first of all, this suite isn't Photoshop or Illustrator. I've used the so called top-of-the-range suites for a while and I wasn't expecting much from the Serfif suite, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The suite installs cleanly with the three products; PagePlus: a DTP package, DrawPlus: a drawing/graphics package and ImpactPlus: a 3D animation package, installing from a single set-up and a single disk. I particularly liked the location selection at set-up determining standard paper sizes and dictionaries instead of setting them up indivisually later.

The products feel very capable with all the functionality 90% of home users would ever require and more. The products don't feel as cohesive as some and the user documentation isn't great, but they are accessible and fairly easy to use. The pre-canned templates in PagePlus are useful and relevent and very easy to use, i generated a simple but professional looking brochure in 20 minutes without any hassle at all.

All in all a compenent suite of products but without the finesse of some of the top of the range stuff. But for this price it's well worth the sacrifice. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This little baby arrived just in time for us to use as a friend of our had just asked if we'd design her wedding invitation.
My wife is the arty one in the family and although not fantasticly computer minded she got right stuck in to this with no problems at all.
The results were extremely professional using the packaged templates but there was also the option to start your own project too.
Very good product highly recommended and Serif's support were very helpful too when we rang them.
on 17 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a winner of a suite for beginner's delving into the world of DTP. It contains PagePlus 11, DrawPlus 8 and ImpactPlus 5. Now, I know that the versions of PagePlus and DrawPlus that are included in this suite are not the most up-to-date ones (so don't be fooled by the 2009 label!), but how can you go wrong for under £30 for 3 great products? In my opnion, if you're a bit of a DTP pro, you wouldn't consider this product in the first place anyway. If you've never owned any of this type of software, I urge you to buy it and have a play, as I promise you won't be disappointed. It does everything I want for home use, newsletters, calendars, stationery, certificates, plus I have to admit I've already spent hours just playing around and doodling in DrawPlus!