5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!!!
Published on 4 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars A girls album
I bought this album off the strength of the 'hands clean' single, hoping for more of the same quality. I wasn't blown away by it, and despite listening to it all day it didn't grow on me. Musically it is a bit clumsy, with some ok pieces.
Lyrically I think it works well, but all the songs are about men. She either hates them or likes them, but all the songs are about...
Published on 25 Mar 2002 by nmarchant@onebox.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!!!, 4 Mar 2002
By A Customer
In the past I've bought both Alanis's albums (the brilliant 'Jagged liitle pill' and not so brilliant 'Supposed former infatuated Junkie'.) As I just said, I loved 'Jagged' and still play it alot now, but I wasn't at all keen on the latter- it seemed to be a lot darker than the songs from Jagged (apart from 'Thankyou' which I really liked.) Needless to say I wasn't sure whether to risk buying 'Under rug swept.'
Let me just say I have absolutely no regrets:
'21 things I want in a lover' is quite steady-paced, not my fave song on the album by far, but very good. As soon as I heard it, it reminded me straight away of the style of 'Jagged' album and I only hoped the rest would be just as good- but it just got better.
'Narcissus' has grown on me so much I can't stop listening to it. Alanis's songs tend to have this effect on you, whereby you'll hear the songs, like the beat but not really take in the words. Then after hearing the song 2 or 3 times, you realise how true& brilliant her lyrics are- she doesn't just talk about a load of made up rubbish. You find yourself really connecting/understanding the meanings of the songs (not on a really deep level, but you know what I mean.)Narcissus is my 3rd fave song on this cd-but it's very hard to describe it.
Next there's 'Hands clean' which she's just released as a single. I love this song, and this is probably my fave song on the album. I love the chorus- and find myself singing along to it all the time. It's quite upbeat for Alanis but excellent all the same.
'Flinch' is very good, but slower than the rest, and it doesn't really have a chorus asuch, it reeminded me a lot of her songs 'Mary Jane' and 'Perfect' if that means anything to anybody.
'So unsexy' is SO good, this is definitely 2nd fave for me (and maybe even joint fave)- it's also very hard to describe, it starts quite slow, but you're immediately stung by the words, as she sings about someone who, no matter what they do, never feels good enough for their partner, and how they fell beneath them. It's sad, but so catchy at the same time. You have to play it at least twice-the first time round I wasn't sure.
'Precious illusions' is good, not as good as the previous ones mentioned, it sounds very similar to other Alanis songs. For me nothing really stands out about this, but it is catchy and I like it. To be honest I haven't really played the other songs that much, but 'A man' stood out as being really good. the remaining ones seemed slower in pace to the ones mentioned, but I've played the cd on repeat all the way through, and never have problems i.e. wanting to skip tracks, when listening to it.
My advice: if you like Alanis's voice, & style of 'Jagged little pill' definitely go out and buy this- she's great!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars DO I SENSE THE YEAR OF ALANIS????, 7 Mar 2002
By A Customer
GUYS......what more can I say? After listening the to the complete album...I am left speechless! Hardcore "Jagged Little Pill" fans....your goddess has made and will make her presence known again in the year 2002--"Supposed Former Infactuation Junkie" fans....you are going to be in heaven with the stream of consciousness and deeply geared lyrics that Morissette utilizies throughout the progression of this new album.
This artist has grown, matured and will be in the mind of the rock/pop scene for many years to come. This woman/songwriter/producer/artist --compares nothing more but to the great Madonna---constantly changing, redefining herself--giving a new meaning to the word "music" with every album she unleashes.
Potential Singles: 21 Things I Want in a Lover, Narcissus, Hands Clean, Precious Illusions, You Owe Me Nothing In Return, Surrendering, So Unsexy
Tracks to "Sweep Under the Rug": Flinch, That Particular Time, A Man, Utopia.
If Ms. Morissette plays it right with this album, over half of the album can be released with radio play and heavy rotation (for 7 tracks!!!!!) It could literally meet or surpass Jagged Little Pill.
Did I also mention that she (along with this album ) debut #1 on the Billboard? I can say with confidence that "Alanis is back".

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite CD in my collection, 9 April 2002
Rooster (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is far less angry than her first two CDs. I have those too and think they are great. This is brilliant and different.
She seems to have gone from anger at all men for being nasty to acceptance of the fact and resignation to it. She's a superb wordsmith, and I love the way she alters rhyme, reason, meter, pronunciation and acceptable accenting of words to fit with the tune.
It starts with "21 Things I Want in a Lover" which to my mind are all perfectly reasonable requests for qualities in a partner for either sex. It's certainly what I've always tried to be.
There follows a song called "Narcissus" which encapsulates many men who I think we all know.
Then it is "Hands Clean" which is agonising in its relentless assault on your feelings for this poor girl remembering being treated so shoddily by a successful and insensitive man. It also goes to show how difficult it is to get over it when love ends.
"Flinch" is simply superb. It shows again just how long it takes anyone to get over love (except, apparently, for the men in this distressed girl's life) and how the longing, and the anger at that longing, stays with you forever. It's simple disbelief that anyone can affect you as much as that.
One of my favourites is "So Unsexy". It bites straight into me as I realise it is just like me with all that tormenting self-doubt; but at least it has hope at the end!
"Precious Illusions" is also devastatingly accurate to all those people entering a relationship and wondering tentatively whether it will be as bad as whatever finished the last one. It's about wondering who you are and who you aren't and I simply love those last two lines!
"That Particular Time" is so beautifully worded, quiet, gentle and broody. It speaks of needing time to marinate in what "us" meant and also the horrific realisation that sometimes staying with a person means betraying oneself.
"A Man" seems to be a general gripe at men's attitudes. It has a lovely quality of rhythm to it. The poor lady certainly seems to have had her share of bad relationships!
And then there's "You Owe Me Nothing In Return". This one makes me cry and feel so understood that there are others out there who feel this way about love.
"Surrendering" again just says it all about those moments of self doubt at the start of a new relationship and the thrill of eventually being trusted and being able to trust.
It ends with "Utopia" sung in a lovely lilting way and probably the best evocation of what heaven and peace on earth could be that I have ever heard.
I like this CD! As I say, it's much more mellow than her other albums. Being a family man in his mid forties I'm probably not the intended audience, but if you have ever loved and lost, or just loved, you will find understanding and solace in the words here.
I'm pleased for Ms. Morrisette that she is able to put down her feelings like this. If any of this is even half true then I think the poor lady would have gone mad without the benefits of this release!
The technical side is excellent too, with gorgeous bass lines (played by one of about six bass players listed on the back!) and superb balance and order.
I'm easily bored but have never been by this CD. That has never happened before.
If you've ever loved someone so much you didn't know how to handle it, buy this CD and hear your feelings expressed in words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blessed to the Bone., 12 April 2002
By A Customer
I love the fact that in the CD booklet Alanis says that she feels 'blessed to the bone' and blessed she is. Her music is rooted in something firmer than fashion, her voice is powerful and tender, her lyrics are wise and divulging, her music is nostalgic and satiating. This is her at her most mature yet and every song here is a nice brim circle of its own which tells its tell and cuts right through to the bone. It is good to know that with all the recycled reproduced reiterated trash we are forced to listen to nowadays there are a few artists who are striving for originality and realizing a vision that is entirely their own. It is rare that a singer sings to your heart, and Alanis does.
She goes and she goes well. Good luck in every thing you do and don't, me lady.
As for my favorite song, well, you touch me like you are my god, 'Flinch'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly better than Jagged Little Pill, a modern classic, 27 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This is one of the best albums I have ever heard. The hooks are so catchy you can't stop singing them, and the lyrics are typical Alanis. There are the rockier moments on the record (21 Things I Want In A Lover, A Man) as well as the ballads (Flinch, That Particular Time). They are all irresistible and it shows how Alanis can stand on her own and write and produce the whole thing. The only songs that didn't hit me first time were A Man and Surrendering, but they really will grow on you - trust me! Hands Clean is the lead single and one of the best, but Precious Illusions, So Unsexy, 21 Things I Want In A Lover and Flinch should be other singles because they show just how brilliant the album is and they could be hits. All the other songs are great, but not really for the charts. This is by no means a pop album and I am even tempted to call it better than 1995's Jagged Little Pill but for the moment I am just enjoying listening to a classic in the making!

5.0 out of 5 stars She's back!!!, 14 Mar 2002
By A Customer
For fans of Alanis Morissette, it's been a relatively quiet four years or so following the release of the ambitious and challenging Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. This album was considered a disappointment after the "Thriller"-esque hugeness of its predecessor, the breakout Jagged Little Pill. There was a very good and stunningly underrated Unplugged disc -- which showed just how gorgeous some of the SFIJ songs were when stripped of their sonic assault weaponry. But still we waited, hoping but not believing Alanis would return to the accessibility, tunefulness and power of JLP. Well, with Under Rug Swept she has given us more than we had any right to hope for. This album (actually her fifth studio effort) is a tour de force, proof positive that Alanis Morissette is a genuine talent, an important figure in popular music. Criticism of her pop-psychology-inspired lyrics will abound, and I can't say it's not justified. As far as her delivery goes, her fans LIKE the way she phrases a line, and even find some of her intermittent pronunciational quirks ("I von't play the victim...") endearing. I admit there have been times when I, too, cringed at her ultra-self-conscious writing and vocal stylings. On Under Rug Swept, though, those times are very, very few. The melodies, the arrangements -- the kick-ass bass playing on most of the tracks, for example -- and production (by Morissette) are top-flight. And there's the added bonus of Alanis's fabulous, wide-ranging, powerful and unique voice, an instrument which doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves. The bottom line is that with Under Rug Swept, Alanis Morissette is back. Welcome!

4.0 out of 5 stars No longer the queen of angst and thank god for that!!, 5 Mar 2002
I like alanis a lot and have all her cd's except for the 'pre-jagged' ones. I bought this one last week and havent taken it out of my cd player yet. I'm actually listening to it as i'm writing this.
After jagged little pill, supposed former..confused a lot of people (although it is my favorite alanis album - a bit of psychobabble never hurt anybody!) but this one's like a return to JLP.
21 things is brilliant, in the same category as all i really want and front row in my opinion. Narcissus has not much of a melody but brilliant lyrics. I said that cuz the rest of the album, especially hands clean and so unsexy have addictive melodies. Flinch and That particular Time are ballads, flinch reminds me of mary jane and the latter is a bit like uninvited and sounds like a sarah mclachlan song. You owe me nothing is a gem, with beautiful lyrics. Utopia is good but really doesnt fit on this album, i think she should have put one of the b-sides to hands clean , like sister blister on the album instead of utopia.
Overall it's a brilliant album, just as good as jagged little pill or supposed former...but different enough to stand on its own, i wouldnt like her as much if she kept repeating herself.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is my Utopia, 5 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Okay, so Alanis hasn't always been everyone's cup of tea. It is hard to believe that it is now seven years since her debut, Jagged Little Pill, was released. It sold over 15 million copies and became a regular fixture on national and local radio stations. 1998s Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie alienated a large chunk of these people, but it still held on to the core fans. Her stream of consciousness lyrics lost a lot of people, but true fans saw the 17 track behemoth for what it was: a work of art. Now she's back with her third studio album, Under Rug Swept (2002). 21 Things I Want In A Lover opens this album, with a bouncing guitar riff and a list of preferred qualities. Narcissus is a nice return to Supposed Former, as is the single Hands Clean (which peaked at 12 in the UK charts). Then comes Flinch, which, the title suggests, should be an angry, bitter, dark tune. It's not. It's a chirpy tune with touching lyrics and a catchy tune. While this is a little disappointing, it's a pleasant change. Now we have an Alanis album for every part of the year: Pill in the summer, Supposed in the winter, and Swept to fill in the gaps in between!

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT to be under rug swept, but openly enjoyed!, 26 Feb 2002
I just finished listening to the Alanis last effort. I got it in the mail today. I was very excited about it and I was not let down...Alanis has grown musically and personally. If you liked JLP, you will like this. If you liked SFIJ you will like this, but expect a somewhat more cheerful mood.She is more accessible now than in SFIJ.There are more catchy songs than in SFIJ and Alanis writes all the music for the first time and she is good at it. Lyrically...well it's Alanis. If you like psychoanalysis, introspective reflections and complicated words to define the most basic emotions, you will love it. Unlike SFIJ, you can listen to this album without much reflection and still enjoy it, but you would benefit immensely from a all-around listening of lyrics as well as music.
If you never listened to ALanis before (and were on Mars when "You Oughta Know came" out...:0) you will like this if you listen to pop with a slight rock edge music. If you are a long-time Alanis fan you wont be disappointed. She delivers as expected with surprisingly a VERY good songwriting talent too. I was somewhat sceptic about her songwriting attempt, but was happily surprised. I write songs too and tend to be crtical of myself and others. :0)
If you like Hands Clean, you wont be let down by the album.
Personally I appreciate how spirituality influences her music and it's one more reason for me to give it 5 stars.

Favourite tracks: Hands Clean, Utopia,Precious Illusions, and others
Less favourite tracks: Narcissus, A Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Swept away, 21 Dec 2002
After the amazing success of "Jagged Little Pill" and the not so amazing success of "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie", Morissette returns in fine form to give us her latest offering. The album lacks the feminist angst that won the star her original fame, but this is not necessarily a bad thing.
"Under Rug Swept" explores a whole new side of Morissette, from the first rock-tingled chords of the opener "21 Things I Want In A Lover" to the beautiful harmonies of the finale "Utopia". Each track is a different journey through her mind, dealing with all kinds of issues such as self-consciousness ("So Unsexy") and underage relationships ("Hands Clean"). "That Particular Time", a classic ballad, highlights the maturity of the singer's songwriting skills and enables us to see a softer side of Morissette.
"Under Rug Swept" is a treat for any Alanis Morissette fan and, although it may not prove to sell as many copies as "Jagged Little Pill", its quality is equally as fascinating.

Under Rug Swept (U.S. Version)
Under Rug Swept (U.S. Version) by Alanis Morissette