5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rock!!!
Published on 15 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better examples of this kind of music around
First things first, 'How you remind me' is a well written song. Intensely catchy, and deservedly an international hit. The rest of the album is slightly above average at best. Though Nickelback are frequently being categorised as 'post grunge', they equally have sounds in common with the blues based rock being made in the late 80s. No bad thing in itself, but there are...
Published on 5 April 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rock!!!, 15 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I, like many others bought this album purely on the strength of 'How You Remind Me.' As soon as I listened to it a couple of times I found myself constantly humming (well, as best as I could to rock!) the songs all the times. This album as well as being quite rock orientated definately has a grungey feel to it aswell. I really enjoyed listening to it time and time again and has been on my CD player ever since I got it.
Although the quality of this album is really good (in my humble opinion, I find that it was a little bit too short and should have had a lot more material on it.
The lyrics are really good and hard hitting esp. those in 'Never Again' and 'Too Bad' and are wonderfully accompanied by great riffs, not to mention Chad Kroeger's great voice. This is the best album I have heard for ages and I'd advise it to anyone who likes rock and grunge music.
Finally, well done Nickleback for landing Platinum Side Up with silver side up

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Staind's Break The Cycle, 9 Sep 2001
Rudy (his bedroom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
Nickelback are a four-pice band from Vancouver, Canada. Last year they released the brilliant "The State" album which saw a small UK release and has gone on to pick up a decent following. With "Silver Side Up" they've definitely perfected their sound and have picked up a lot of comparisons to Staind; offering a similar melodic Hard rock sound with a deep grinding guitar style and lyrics which are both personal and painful. If you like Staind tracks like: "Fade", "Outside", and "Its Been Awhile" then be prepared to be blown away by Nickelback.
Stand out tracks on the new album have to be the vengeful "Just For", the angry "Look What Your Money Bought", the radio friendly first video "How You Remind Me" and the stadium sounding "Good Times Gone". But it doesn't stop there, there's not a poor track on the album. I'd have to say as a fan of both bands, that "Silver Side Up" is consistently better overall than Staind's "Break The Cycle".

My best Rock purchase of the year. And if you want to get into Nickelback then start with this album and if you like it then go to "The State" for more. They have an earlier album too called "Curb" which is due for re-issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Staind, or Creed, or Fuel... read on., 9 Sep 2001
Rudy (his bedroom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: silver side up (Audio CD)
If you don't know Nickelback then let me summarise: A Canadian four-piece band originating from Vancouver, churning out melodic HARD rock, that with the imminent release of their third album are being touted as the next Staind. And I can tell you that's all true.
For those of you out there that can't stop playing superb tracks from Staind like "Fade", "Its Been Awhile", and "Outside" then Nickelback won't dissapoint. Similarly to Staind their lyrics are personal and painful, but they're not some cheap imitation band, their previous album: "The State" is also brilliant. Released last year, its been an underground success in the UK (about 5,000 of you out there know just how good), and is worth buying.
But back to "Silver Side Up". This album blows "The State" away. From the first video/radio friendly track: "How You Remind Me" to the simmering rage of "Just For" as in I WANT TO TAKE HIS EYES OUT "JUST FOR" LOOKING AT YOU (the best song on the album by the way). Other standout tracks are "Too Bad" and if you like your Rock guitar heavier then there's "Hollywood", "Never Again", and "Woke up This Morning". Altogether an incredibly consistent album put together with a lot of care, these guys obviously aren't messing around, they're determined to break this album worldwide. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd say "Silver Side Up" was consistently better overall than Staind's "Break The Cycle".
Now to the big question. Worth buying on import? Roadrunner are planning a UK release which (fingers crossed) will be this side of Christmas. No doubt, if they get their marketing and promotion right then Nickelback could storm the Album's Chart much like Staind did. But who cares:
a) This album is too good to wait for, its worth the import price; and
b) do you want to listen to great music now or follow the sheep to the Chart inyour local Our Price in two months time?

4.0 out of 5 stars Best album I�ve heard in a long time, 24 Feb 2002
M. Kershaw (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I have never bothered to review anything before but I was so impressed with this album that I felt I had to put my comments here.
I used to listen to groups such as Whitesnake, Ted Nugent, AC/DC etc but in more recent years stopped listening to rock/heavy metal (call it what you will) as it started to move to more grunge and thrash orientated.
This album and group has re-kindled my interest in the rock seen. It is well produced, has instruments that are actually played well, good vocals & lyrics.
I would recommend this to anyone who thinks that in recent years rock has lost its way.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last; something that rawks!!!, 28 Jan 2002
Amazon Customer (Harpenden, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I've been into heavy music for over 10 years now but just recently I'd started looking for other styles because I couldn't find anything that tickled my fancy. Nickelback have restored my faith in heavy music; at last a new (ish) band that aren't afraid to rock out. This album has some classic riffs and some excellent songs. I found some of the lyrics a little too narrative, not quite poetic enough for my tastes, but the music cannot be argued with. Stand this up against Staind's Break the Cycle and those guys don't stand a chance. Silver Side Up is the sort of album I listen to, then put it on again...and again.
Stand out tracks are How You Remind Me, a true anthem, Never Again and Good Times Gone, but there's really not a bad track on here.
If you really like this album, can I recommend two more for your listening pleasure:
Corrosion of Conformity's 'Wiseblood' and Down's 'NOLA. Both these albums lean to the heavier side of Nickelback's style but they're both fantastic discs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 2 April 2002
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I often buy albums on the basis of 1 song and then kick myself afterwards, so I'm a little bit more wary about what my money goes on nowadays. I really shouldn't have worried in the case of Nickelback's 'Silver Side Up'. The phrase every time a coconut really does apply to this wonderful album. The heartfelt lyrics go beautifully with the powerful sound - this is rock with something to say. Favourite tracks include the beautiful 'How You Remind Me', the disturbing 'Never Again', 'Woke Up This Morning' and the powerful 'Too Bad'. My only complaint would be that the album is too short! More songs please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Good listening, 16 Feb 2002
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I really like this album its all i've heard of Nickleback, but i'm impressed. I really love 'How you remind me'and 'Never again'....'Hollywood' is good as well. On a down side i find that by track 8 the songs all murge into one and become a bit similar but its not too bigger a problem as track 1+2 make up for this. If like me you thought Nickelback were good you might like Staind and P.O.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like rock, BUY THIS!, 22 May 2002
S. Devonport "The Rock Says.." (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I must confess that I bought this album purely on the strength of "How You Remind Me", and I'm delighted to say that I haven't been disappointed.
The album starts with the excellent "Never Again", a great track about domestic violence, and doesn't let up until the final song "Good Times Gone", a much mellower tune than the previous nine on the album.
I was very impressed with this CD and will certainly look out for future Nickelback albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Nickelback's hidden gems..., 19 Jun 2004
Ljay (Worcestershire, Eng) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I only heard of Nickelback from a friend who said they were great and Chad's voice (the lead singer) was powerful and energetic. So i bought the new album and its great! Their music is something different from normal rock bands, the lyrics stand out more than anything, i get the feeling that Chad had a less than happy childhood. After buying the new album, i bought this and its even better! I love 'Never Again', a powerful song about wife beating and 'Too Bad', about a dad abandoning his family. The album keeps strong throughout with each track different, that's what makes this album strong. I love this, and im sure you will too, a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE NICKLEBACK, 1 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
i brought this cd a few weeks ago and i can honestly say i havnt stopped listening to it, it is really good!!!the lyrics are some of the best ive ever heard.
the song 'How you remind me' is what drew me to buying their album. the lead singer chad kroeger has an amazing voice which makes the song stand out.
my fave song on 'silver side up' is the 1st track, 'never again'. the chorus is brilliant, but its the sound of the guitars that make this song great.
the other tracks that really stand out are 'too bad''good times gone' and obviously 'how you remind me'.
i REALLY recomend this cd, nickleback are a band to watch out for,theyre gonna be big.not just in the U.S but here in the U.K too.
i might buy an extra copy for my brother who keeps nicking mine!!

Silver Side Up