5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the Year for Rock or what??????? Top Album
Published on 30 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not there best.
0NLY RECENTLY HAVE GOT INTO THE MUSIC OF NICKELBACK.
AFTER LISTENING TO SILVER SIDE UP AND DARK HORSE I WAS HOOKED.
I SOON PURCHASED THE STATE WHICH I WAS INITIALLY DISSAPOINTED WITH,BUT ITS ONE OF THOSE ALBUMS YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO A FEW TIMES BEFORE YOU APPRECIATE IT.NOT MY FAVOURITE BUT CERTAINLY A MUST.
Published on 25 Sep 2009 by Mr. C. A. Drury

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the Year for Rock or what??????? Top Album, 30 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
Well what can I say Excellent album. After hearing Leader of Men i was captivated and thought I have to get that album. I wasnt dissapointed at all. From the first song to the last excellent songs and they have a bush/silverchair sound to them. I don't know how they did it but they did. Excellent debut album just waiting in anticipation for the follow up. If they keep this up they will be up there with the greatest of the rock gods.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Rock Album ever...., 4 May 2004
Ian Watts (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
The State is quite simply one of the best Rock/Nickelback Album I've ever listened to. I had listened to Silver Side Up before The State and then purchased this not very long after and although I was at first not so pleased with The State, my opinion soon changed.
The songs do tend to differ from the latest Nickelback hits and appear much more "rocky" and somewhat lively. Tracks such as Diggin' This and Old Enough are a prime example of this. However, the softer more melodic side to Nickelback is also present, with the hit, Leader of Men which is in my opinion the best song on the Album.
The Songs, Not Leavin' Yet and Hold Out Your Hand aren't Nickelback's greatest hits and I was at first put off by these but after recently listening to them again, I've realised that they're a good album filler and do show that Nickelback are capable of providing some variation in their songs. They're not by any means bad, but they don't come close to other songs on the album such as Breathe, Leader of Men and One Last Run.
In comparison to the latest albums, Silver Side Up and The Long Road, The State is quite different and this may put you off if you're really into their latest stuff (which rocks just as much as this does)
If you like Rock music in general, then this is most definately an essential purchase. If your Nickelback fan then I'm left with the question, why don't you already own this album?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums I've bought this year, 12 Jun 2001
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
A good mix of tracks and good quality rock music. Like so many bands these days, Nickelback have not been drawn into the trap of being cliche. The lyrics are meaningfull, and the music is dynamic. I was encouraged to buy this album after hearing 'Leader of men' and was not disappointed to find this track appear twice on the album. The accustic version really gives the track a more personal touch. Although the album may be objectional to some because of it's religious undertones, you only have to look at Creeds success to realise that it is these elements of the song writers personality that completes a song.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ALBUM ROCKS, 8 April 2004
Dan Frith (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
I'm sorry but it is true. I don't think that the other 2 albums after are that much better and the first 1 certainly isn't. I can't believe I didn't hear about this album first as it is almost better than the 2 after it.
It has some more popular top quality songs such as "Leader of men" and "Breathe" which are great even after listening to them a thousand times. However I think that the albums not so well songs such as "Cowboy hat" and "Digging this" are just as great to listen to.
The first song Breathe is, in my opinion the 3rd best song on the album and really reminded me of Linkin Parks "Crawling" and "Numb" the way it came back to the original tune on top of the current song at the end.
Then the next best song in my opinion is "Leader of men". This probably would have been my favourite if it hadn't reminded me of Busteds "Sleeping with the light on", but its still good with Chad Kroegers trade mark voice going strong all the way through. This is a great song.
My favourite song in the album has to be "Old enough". It truly is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard and in my opinion even better than "Someday" from the new album. This song rocks especailyy when the guitars get started midway through the first verse.
My only wish is that the guys from Nickelback could make evry album they make as good as this one and so far with Silver side up and the Long road they have succeeded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nickelback and The State compared to all other albums., 29 May 2007
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
First off, The State is the second best album by Nickelback(slightly inferior to Curb). Worthy to say is definitely the best song here, I've tried but find it difficult to find comparisons for this song.

Not Leavin' Yet is great and can be compared to Where do I hide. Cowboy Hat also is a great song musically and lyrically, perhaps the best lyrically. (no comparisons have been found.) Leader of Men is the biggest hit and reminds me a great deal of Nirvana's Come as you are.

There is no one clear comparison for the state though perhaps the best is The Long Road

enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars in my opinion best album they've done, 30 Sep 2005
C. Oldham (liverpool U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
first off breathe and leader of men are two of nickelbacks greatest ever songs and in my oppinion this is by far the best album that they have come up with, although well just have to wait and see after all the right reasons come out!
NICKELBACK ROCK

5.0 out of 5 stars None Better, 19 Jun 2003
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
This is their best album of the three, if you owned silver side up before this one, you will not like this much, but once you get used to it, it is far better, having one song twice is a good thing, espesially if the song is Leader of Men, their is a couple of songs that are a bit dodgy, but the rest are so good they make up for it, and don't effect my stars rating. The accoustic version of Leader of Men is a great song for relaxing.
You'll listen to the album so many times you will know the words to all the songs in a week! I often sing them when i'm at school!
A new album is coming out soon so keep your eyes peeled!

5.0 out of 5 stars ****ing amazing, 5 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
I orderd this CD after hearing leader of men, I was prepared to buy the CD because it had these two songs on it and in fact that is why i did by it, so i was a bit apprehensive about the other songs, but when it arrived and I listened to it I realised there was no need for the apprehension, every track is amazing, although I do have personal faviourites mainly the first 4 and no 7. If I had to link Nickelback to any other band I would say nirvana, but I much prefer Nickelback when it comes to everything from the bass to the guitar play and lyrics. I love alternative music, such as NICKELBACK, lit, everclear, eels, goo goo dolls, ash, electrasy, millencolin, third eye blind, verticle horizon, spin doctors, fuel Presidents of the U.S.A and many more although not to many more, If you like Nicklback look into these bands, amazon can get you most of them. Now back to Nickelback I have the CD for a week now and have listened to nothing else. It annoys me that such quality music is so hard to come by were it not for the internet my music collection would be a disgrace,you get such rubbish in the charts, I am hoping Nickelback will be on mtv2 soon. Oh and incase you didn't know I like Nickelback and so will you so if you can afford it get it if not like DAVE download some of their tunes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not there best., 25 Sep 2009
Mr. C. A. Drury "CHRIS D" (W-S-M) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
0NLY RECENTLY HAVE GOT INTO THE MUSIC OF NICKELBACK.
AFTER LISTENING TO SILVER SIDE UP AND DARK HORSE I WAS HOOKED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this CD, now, 27 April 2001
This review is from: The State (Audio CD)
Like everyone else I bought State on the strength of "Leader Of Men". I expected this to be the best track on the album, but I was to be proved wrong. State is the best rock album you`ll hear this year; Grunge for the 21st century. For me, Breathe and Worthy To Say are the standouts, but every track is real, classic rock at it`s best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›