5.0 out of 5 stars A Red Hot 'Red Hot Chili Peppers' Album
What can I say? One of the greatest rock bands in the world collaborates their best songs on one album. It's got to be good!!
Published on 21 Feb 2005 by John Hutchings

3.0 out of 5 stars what is going on?
Published on 29 Feb 2004 by Mr. G. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars what is going on?, 29 Feb 2004
Mr. G. Thomas "bewarecoward" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I mean, I love the red hot chili peppers, they are one of the greatest bands of all time but this greatest hits is a bit disappointing. i mean, none of the songs on here are bad, but they could have made a 2CD greatest hits bringing the whole 20 years of great music together, [and yes I know *What Hits?* And the other greatest hits '84-'89 could be bought for that] but to have a greatest hits that doesn't include anything off *Freaky Styley* or *The Uplift Mofo Party Plan* is just wrong.
Good idea to put videos for the singles on the Greatest Hits though

5.0 out of 5 stars A Red Hot 'Red Hot Chili Peppers' Album, 21 Feb 2005
The album includes amazing songs from the albums "By The Way", "Californication", "Mother's Milk" and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". It also has a song from the five year period in which their brilliant guitarist, John Frusciante, left the band and was replaced with Jane's Addiction guitarist, Dave Navarro. You'll also find a few songs that don't appear on any other album.
However, I feel that some great songs have been missed off, such as:
"Warped" from One Hot Minute
"The Zephyr Song" from By The Way
"Can't Stop" from By The Way
"Around The World" from Californication
"Nobody Weird Like Me" from Mother's Milk
"Knock Me Down" from Mother's Milk
Unfortunately, they have chosen to concentrate on the latest line-up of the band (with Chad Smith on drums and John Frusciante on guitar), so there are no songs from the band's earlier period with (among others) Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons. This period includes such funky tunes as:
"Fight Like A Brave" from The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
"True Men Don't Kill Coyotes" from Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Behind The Sun" from The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
Although, I can't criticise this album too much as the bands founder members, Anthony Kiedas (vocals) and Michael "Flea" Balzary (bass), have been in the band since they began making records, so they're on every song!
With the band's raw energy, talent and in some cases downright craziness, this album definitely deserves your attention - and your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars My RHCP's Greatest Hits Review, 13 Dec 2003
Actually, this album is not very disappointing. I can hear some of my favourite songs from their albums in just one album. Yet, there are great songs which aren't included in this album:
1)"Aeroplane" -Great song, I like the children voice, also the ending bass.
2)"Can't Stop" -It's much funkier than "By The Way".
3)"Love Rollercoaster" -Where the hell can I find this song in their album?!
4)"I could die for you" -Their most romantic song. EVER!!!
5)"All Around The World" -Why didn't they put this on this album???
6)"Shallow Be Thy Game" -It ROCKS!!! But it's a bit underrated.
I don't know why, but "My Friends" is the only RHCP's song with Dave Navarro. And we can also find "Higher Ground" in their old hits album "What Hits!?". Anyway, this is still such a great album to buy, because it contains great songs such as "Under The Bridge", "Give It Away", "Soul To Squeeze", "Road Trippin'", and also 2 (why's it only 2??!!) new songs, "Fortune Faded" & "Save The Population", which are really great to hear. I really hope this WON'T be their last album ever (as we can see in other bands/groups greatest hits albums which mean their FINAL album).

3.0 out of 5 stars Classics, but no classics!!, 3 Nov 2004
This is the album to get if you wish to get a good taste of the Red Hot Chili Peppers in their new found musical direction. For those who wish to "funk out" this is not for you!
The album has all the essential chill out songs which have made the Chili Peppers a household names. There is a perfect blend of the classic songs form "Blood Sugar Sex Magic", "Californication" and "By The Way". No doubt the style of these songs has been deliberately chosen to make the album very accessible for the old and young who whish to by some Red Hot Chili Peppers. The only thing that I frown upon in this selection is the order in which the songs have been placed - all the well known songs have been placed first. This may make album seem a bit dull after the first 4 songs - since it lacks any "hits" after this point (with the exception of "By The Way" and "Fortune Faded" - and people may wish to turn off.
My advice is don't! There are songs on this album which give people a taste of what the Chili's used to be - but without scaring people off. There are echoes of the funk days in "Suck My Kiss" and "Higher Ground" both of these off their early Frusciante days following the death of their original guitarist Hillel Slovak.
If you do wish to get a better taste of the pre-Frusciante days then "What Hits?" is for you not this album!!! Its on the "The Uplift Mofo Party Plan" where the best Chili's stuff is to be found. I think its sad that they have almost totally overlooked their past...
Also although not true Red Hot Chili Peppers material I would have liked to have seen some of John Frusciante's recent solo work on here as it is truly the best music he has written!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Never heard so much brilliant music on one album. Priceless, 4 Dec 2004
Adrian Hoskins (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Greatest Hits
Review by Adrian Hoskins
I'm an old git. Been into rock since the 60's man. Heard a stack of brilliant sounds, and a whole lotta crap besides. So why am I writing a Chili Peppers review ? Because this is the most exciting, energetic and essential album since Led Zeppelin One. And if you ain't got that, you ain't got nothing......
Chili Peppers are musically at least twenty levels above anyone else I can think of -
Kiedis' inventive lyrics and stunning vocals, Flea's inspirational bass, Chad's stonking drums, Frusciante's magical guitar licks, and Rubin's brilliant production make it worthwhile investing in a new sound system just for this album.
Impossible to pick a favourite track - Under the Bridge, Californication, Scar Tissue, Other side, By the Way, Soul to Squeeze, Parallel Universe, Higher Ground, Universally Speaking, Breaking the Girl, Save the Population ? Never heard so much brilliant music on one album. Priceless.
"sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner, sometimes I feel like my only friend is the city I live in, the city of angels, lonely as I am, together we cry"
"these smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun"
"autumn's sweet, we call it fall, I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl, and with the birds I'll share this lonely view..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 May 2006
Meg "Funky Monk" (Hemel Hempstead, England) - See all my reviews
This compellation is an excellent collection of the greatest Chilis hits since 'mothers milk'(RHCP's 4th album.)i really enjoy listening to this album as it is a veriety of chilis stuff but all great chili peppers including the favourites - by the way, under the bridge, give it away, californication, my friends, higher ground and many more! it also incudes the non album track Soul to Squeeze and the new (2003) songs Fortune faded (which is regularly played live) and Save the population.

The booklet inside includes messages from the band who talk about thier influences and band pictures. This is a must have for a chilis fan or even someone that has only heard a couple of chilis songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years and still rocking their socks off..., 22 Nov 2003
By A Customer
... it's probably a good thing that they wear more clothes nowadays, then.
I can understand why a lot of people would be disappointed with this album, but as a fan I think it's great. I was a little shocked to find that 'Aeroplane' wasn't on the album; granted, 'One Hot Minute' was always apparently a disappoitning album although I thought it was great.
There's a nice variety of some of their older, sexier stuff to their newer toned down ballads and funk rock tracks that really show the coming of age of the band. Personally I think it's great they've lasted the whole time and are hopefully going to release a new album in the next year or so.
It's a great introduction to some of the best works of Anthony & Co and a celebration of 20 years of funky music for the veteran fan. All in all I think it's fantastic and the only changed I'd make to it were to put in a couple more tracks on the hits album; I don't mind that much though, because the ones that aren't on the Hits disc are on the Videos disc! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits- notoriously fanatically contraversial..., 4 Feb 2005
M. Davies (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I did read all comments about the missing tracks and the half-pointless "copyright" movement, but then, it IS still worth buying, mainly if you're a casual fan. It does include some of their best songs, such as "Under the Bridge", "Californication", "Otherside" and "Give it Away", which are essential. But even so, excluding the Brilliant "Zepher Song", "Cant Stop" and "Areoplane" (as well as so many others) is kind of contradicting the title "Greatest Hits", especially to rid them to fit in some new tracks, which are OK, just not really Zepher-standard. I have come to realise the reason "Cant Stop" and "The Zepher Song" are not included due to the fairly recent album "By the Way" by which the record label chose to not include some tracks on "Greatest Hits" so that people will buy both. But yes, Greatest Hits should mean Greatest Hits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky Monks, 17 Nov 2003
I have been a fan of the peppers since around the time of the release of Mother's Milk, and immediately connected with their funk philosophy. I rushed out to buy their previous three albums and loved them all.
I have to say that I have never been disappointed with a Chili Peppers album - they have been with me through some of my best times and worst times in the last 15 years and I feel I have grown with them.
As the band has matured, they have lost that raw funkiness that I connected with in the beginning but they did still manage to make superb albums. Every single one of them.
The thing with this Greatest Hits album is that it contains none of the tracks that would convert a fair weather fan into an ardent fan - after all isn't this who this album is for? I assume that people that purchase Greatest Hits albums are those people that liked a couple of singles and want to explore further.
If you want to explore the Chilis more, avoid this album! Buy BloodSugarSexMagik instead. The tracks that are missing are startling and those on here are only very good - not outstanding!!
You won't be disappointed with this album, you just won't get a true insight into what this band really is capable of...
As far as my own feelings of this album are concerned - I think it is synical commercialism gone mad. Why should I buy an album for one track (I buy all albums and singles)???

3.0 out of 5 stars th eold days, 29 Jun 2005
In light of recent success (which is undoubtedly deserved), it seems that we have forgotten where they originaly came from and what they were about. Current day Red Hot Chili PEpper music is accessable to everyone, whatever your prefered genre. Yet, if one obsereved their roots, the Red Hot Chili Peppers were a more specialised band and it took a certain amount devosion to rebelion to appreciate their earlier period, and that we when they made their best music.
I completely agree that their recent stuff is brilliant, but we have forgotten, esspecially in this current, suposed "Greatest Hits" album that they made really good classic stuff. I talk about "Fight Like A Brave", "Backwoods", "Good Tiem Boys" "Hollywood" and many, many others.
Yet not only have they missed out those old classics, they seemed to have completely forgotten about modern hits such as "Can't Stop" and "Around the World", and what ever happened to "Aeroplane"?
I give this album three starts because they have remembered to put in some brilliant songs and because the Red Hot Chili Peppers are brilliant, but this album just doesn't deserve any more than that. I would not recomend buying this album if you are new to the RHCP's. I would advise Blood Sex Sugar Magic or Californication or their debu album Red Hot Chili Peppers

Greatest Hits [Explicit]