5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch cross-over album
Let me start this review by stating I am a metalhead, my cd collection consists mostly of hardcore metal bands and I am not into dance music but this album has blown me away.
Published on 12 May 2008 by Mr. L. Cripps

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music, shame about the sound quality
Published on 28 July 2009 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch cross-over album, 12 May 2008
Mr. L. Cripps - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
Pendulums new direction my upset a few old skool fans as this album has a lot more rocker feel and it has this cross-over sound showcasing many influences that I think sets them appart from most bands. The heavy beats Pendulum are famous for are still there, but they also dabble in snarling guitars, electronica and emo influences.
Think prodigy without the punk edge and you will not be far off.
This album is a brave step but in my view it has paid off in a big way.
Pendulum are the cross-over kings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pendulum - In Silico, 17 Jun. 2008
Rolfey88 "Sam" (Radnage, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
First of all, i would like to say that if you dont like drum and bass, then it doesnt matter cos pendulum are no longer drum and bass. This album is AMAZING. I would also like to say to all the dnb fans: OPEN YOUR MIND, THEY ARE QUALITY AT WHAT THEY DO! They used drum and bass as a means of creating their own music, after having made a name for themselves in the genre, and hopefully now more artists will come along with having been influenced by them. Tis album is made to confuse the dnb fan with all sorts of diversity, like Hold Your Colour, but completely different. Here's a 'lowdown' on the tracks:

1. Showdown - 10/10 This is a great funky rock tune, introduced with some swift vocals saying how great pendulum are and that they are no longer drum and bass! They still show some old touches with a bit sounding like Slam, but use guitar solos and it has an emo style ending

2. Different - 9/10 A really good track with good lyrics to go with it. Sounds like Muse and has an obvious touch of the Prodigy. Nice and relaxed after a rocking first track.

3. Propane Nightmares - 10/10 Absolutely phenomenal track, the album's second single. This has everything: a great intro, emo singing with a jaunty tune, smashing drum and bass, heavy rock beats and an emotive synth solo using pendulum's trademark distorted vocals. SICK

4. Visions - 10/10 My personal favourite. Again the distorted vocals work a treat with a banging intro, then a cool melody with nostalgic guitar solos and synths, then after the break a hard-hitting instrumental. So far the album has shown musical talent, creativity and initiative. Pendulum now make songs, not tunes.

5 Midnight Runner - 8/10 At last, a kind of dnb track. Starts off slowly then gets heavy. Uses high pitched synths and mixes them up to a treat. Great tune, showing diversity and keeps some of their roots.

6. The Other Side - 9/10 HAHAHA what a jokes tune. This is to be their next single, and the whole point of this tune is to confuse you. Starts off dark, then has an intro similar to the effect of Slam's, dropping into a sinister beat. Then this commercial, poppy, happy chorus comes from nowhere, but it's PHAT! Then some random speaking vocals, sends shivers down my spine! Dnb fans will hate this, but who cares!

7 Mutiny - 10/10 Pendulum show here exactly what they can do. A heavy rock intro, then into some maaaaaaaad techno beat. Then using lyrics from The Terminal in a Queens of the Stone Age style, showing that they can use the same music in two very different forms. Then a guitar solo, and then they show the Arctic Monkeys how to play a riff. Unbelievable tune

8. 9,000 Miles - 7/10 My least favourite tune, a bit boring but nice and relaxed. This is the only genuine dnb track on the album.

9. Granite - 10/10 The album's first single, what a tune. A cosmic intro into a banging rock tune. Good and catchy with a quality end to it.

10. The Tempest - 9/10 This is a sort of ballad, a thoughtful rock tune. I dont think anyyone expected Pendulum to ever make a tune like this, but i like it. Good vocals and a banging Santana style guitar riff. Ends with some random trancy stuff :S

All in all, this album has torn Pendulum away from DnB and into the commercial scene, widening their fan base and i think will be the biggest influence on music in coming years. Can't wait to see what tey do with the next album. Oh and if you dont buy it you're wasting your ears...

5.0 out of 5 stars makes a change, 25 July 2008
Jenny PT (Tonbridge, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
this cd was brought in by one of my 16-year-old's friends. It is the first bit of music that any of this group of metalheads have played that I have enjoyed. I will go further. I love it - I usually like clubby stuff, trance (loads of different Euphoria in my collection) so this is a bit different for me. Anyway this old lady likes pendulum, you too may find that it makes it easier to live in a house full of male teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good, if not more so!, 19 Oct. 2009
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I don't really notice much overall difference between this and Hold Your Colour. Maybe if you compare Tarantula to the style of some of the tracks on here, my meaning will be a bit clearer. The only real difference for me was that there are more vocals in this album and the first use of a guitar (in The Tempest). Maybe it's just because the slight change in style doesn't bother me, I don't know.

I've loved pendulum for quite a while now and always will. The (possibly) slight change in this album from the last has swayed me less than global warming has. Who cares if there are extra vocals? The songs are still amazing!!! You could go crazy to virtually all the tracks on here.

The thing I love about Pendulum is that none of their songs are bad (in my opinion), and therefore all those on here are good. The ones that stick out for me most are the hugely catchy and addictive Showdown, Granite, Propane Nightmares, and Mutiny, The Other Side (with it's catcy lyrics), Visions (with its synthesised sounds), and The Tempest (because it is structured in a clever way that creates the mood of a storm developing). Like I said, none of them are bad, but these seem the most bold to me.

Propane Nightmares has been Pendulum's biggest hit, reaching #9 in the UK singles chart and therefore appearing on Now 70. Having said that, how could you possibly say it's rubbish with terrible lyrics?! This album itself got to #2 in the albums chart

For anyone who is unsure about this due to this supposed "change", ignore the other reviews. There are two main similarities between the two albums, one of them being that Mutiny samples lyrics from The Terminal, and the other that some tracks from both albums feature similar style lyrics (that presumably went unnoticed by everyone who hates this?)

For all of you who loved Hold Your Colour, this is a must. It's at least just as good. There's nothing wrong with the lyrics. Tarantula, The Terminal, Sounds of Life and Streamline all do similar things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Controversial..., 23 May 2008
The Chill Monster (4 clicks south of the Silent Cartographer) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
Right, first things first... If you are expecting Hold Your Colour part deux I'm afraid you may be left wanting. This is less drum n' bass and more a D n' B/Rock hybrid, a path that if anyone was listening after their first album should come as no great shock (both Blood Sugar and their remix of 'Hold Your Colour' were leaning towards big, rock-esque riffs). The big question is... Is it any good?

That would of course depend on your stance. If you are a D n' B head through and through, know your Maldini's from your Brookes Brothers and your liquid from your tech step, you are going to feel short changed. I used to fall into this camp and in fairness, on first listen I wasn't blown away by this album. Pendulum have veered very heavily into rock territory, and it definitely won't be for everyone, especially the pure heads.

That said, if you like absolutely city levelling riffs, bass that will cave your head in and drums so snappy they could puch a whole through a concrete wall, you may well get into this. Some of the vocals feel a bit forced and unneccessary, and a couple tracks don't seem to have any real direction, but make no mistake, there are some heavyweight tunes here. If you can find it, pick up the limited edition, as the VIP remix of Propane Nightmares is just SICK.

So, is it better than Hold Your Colour? For me, no. Hold Your Colour was an album so far ahead of it's time, chock full of innovation and the kind of sounds never even concieved up to then. Pendulum were fresh, brimming with idea's and knocking out classic after classic. In Silico by contrast does feel like a bit of a sell out, the production is still absolutely top class, but it feels as if they are trying a little too hard.

Despite this, I enjoy this album a lot, and if you are prepared to approach it with an open mind, you should find something here to enjoy too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music, shame about the sound quality, 28 July 2009
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
I like Pedulum. They are a welcome breath of fresh air into an area of music that has become a little stale of late. I found this album took a little while to 'get into'. On the first few plays it started to sound a bit samey when only half way through. Now I know the songs better this is less of an issue and I can appreciate each track on its own merits but a little more variety wouldn't go amiss - especially in the bass line/drums. Altogether though, I like this album. So it's a shame to have to report that the sound quality isn't anywhere near up to the standard of the music. It's too loud, too compressed and under the microscope there is plenty of clipping in evidence. The music makes you want to turn it up but as soon as you do, the distortion in the treble means you turn it straight back down again. Basically this is 5 stars for the music and 1 star for sound quality so that averages out to 3. Pedulum deserve better. Music fans deserve better. When will the music industry stop ruining our music with this lousy mastering?

5.0 out of 5 stars Go in with an open mind!, 13 May 2008
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
I nearly reviewed this album yesterday but didn't get chance. I'm glad I didn't, because I could have made a terrible mistake!

My initial view of this album was that it was good, but nowhere near as good as Hold Your Colour. I thought the tracks all sounded too alike and it just lacked something. After a couple more listens, my opinion has changed considerably.

Hold Your Colour was Pendulum: The D'n'B act.
In Silico is Pendulum: The Band.

Whereas the first album was a fantastic collection of masterfully produced Drum & Base tracks, the latest offering is a highly distinctive album melding D'n'B with rock.

What I initially took for a lack of variety between the tracks shows itself on further listening to be a common theme, tying the tracks together into a far more cohesive album than it's predecessor.

It feels like the group have found their sound - something which seems much more distinctive and personal than their last album.

The rock element is extremely strong here. Drum & Bass fans hoping for more of the same will be disappointed, but that's because this isn't really a drum & bass album. It would be equally at home in the rock section of a record store is it would be in the dance section.
The last track for instance, The Tempest (which I now count as my favourite track by the band so far) is purely a rock track until the beats really kick in during it's dramatic finale. You'd almost be forgiven for thinking this was a track by A Perfect Circle during the first half!

That's not to say the D'n'B aspect has gone entirely, as there are some excellent examples of the genre here, but Pendulum have not constrained themselves to this one area of music.

This is a far more original album than Hold Your Colour, and as such it was inevitable that it would cause some controversy among the fans, but to simply write it off as inferior to the previous album is to miss the point entirely.

In Silico will appeal to a wide audience - even among those who did not really like Hold Your Colour.

Pendulum are carving themselves a very strong niche in the music industry, and despite the negative reviews I think time will show this album to be a major landmark in the bands development.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Change Of Direction, 7 May 2008
H. Pearce - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
With the opinion that Hold Your Colour was one of the best produced and genre moulding drum and bass albums to reach our ears to date, In Silico reached mine with high expectations.

The most immediately noticeable difference is the change in direction of the pendulum sound. Gone are the crunching basslines, the darker side to some of the tracks on hold your colour. There are no more drum and bass tracks, this album is much more about an almagamation of guitar-cum-electronics, with the drum and bass component taking much more of a subtle undertone. Most tracks feature vocalists and have gone for a more singalong pop feel making some tunes such as the opener 'Showdown' and 'Propane Nightmares' more easily accessible, but ultimately throw-away songs.

It is also a disappointment to see Pendulum producing tracks that are merely iterations of Slam, or variations of a drum loop used previously before. Diversity still occurs on In Silico but not as involved as their debut.

That said there are still some solid sounds that will have you tapping your foot, a building grin to the crescendo of a bassline erupting into a cacophony of digital beats only Pendulum know how to do, and their sound for which they were originally recognised for is retained in parts, most noticably on 'Visions' and "Midnight Runner'.

All in all a bit of a disappointment, reminiscent of the path the Prodigy took between Music for the Gilted and Fat of the Land. Keeping their roots in part to produce what is essentially a good album but appealing to a wider audience and losing a part of what made them to begin with. Best described as a blend of drum and bass, anthem-rock, electronica and pop. Probably better live.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worlds Finest, 10 Sept. 2008
W. Morris (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
Im not a massive fan of drum n bass and dont think i ever will be but 'In Silico' has certainly drawn me in and made me think twice. I constantly listened to Radio 1 talking about how great Pendulum were so i thought i had to listen for myself and see if they were all they were cracked up to be!!

They certainly didnt disappoint!

I only brought this album at the weekend and it has been playing on my car radio ever since. 'Propane Nightmares' is probably the stand out track on the album and the most recognisable to any non-pendulum fan but 'The Other Side', '9,000 Miles' & 'Granite' are other faviroutes.

A must buy for anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and Beautifully Addictive, 12 May 2008
Mr. A. D. Pape "Alex" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
Alot of die hard drum and bass fans are always very quick to take a jab at Pendulum "what a load of crap, this is the worse drum and bass ive ever heard" etc... This is because Pendulum have defined there own sound. I do love alot of drum and bass, but i gotta say to all the patriotic fans, if you dont like the new sound of pendulum, you know where the door is, now leave.

Very well put on the front of the new album "Natural heirs to The Prodigy's dance-rock legacy", which is so very true. Also noted in another review on here, i couldnt agree more on a better genre to label the new fresh pendulum.... ROCK N BASE!

Most of the songs on this album are absolutely brilliant, a couple will need a bit more getting used to i think.
Have you ever listened to dance music and waiting for a drop to come and thinking to your self...ooo this drop is gonna sound so good... and you can kind of here it coming, but, it drops and its a bit weak? If you suffer from this, BUY THIS ALBUM! It has some absolutely huge drops, with a decent sized sub and some loud speakers you'll be love weeing all over yourself.

I think a key piece of advice for this album is to put it into your cd player with an open mind, embrace it and ull be listening to it for months!!!

In Silico