4.0 out of 5 stars Frenchies - 1, Rost Boeuf - 1
Zero 7 ARE very much like Air - and I kick myself for repeating what everybody else has said.
But, I have more to add: for the first half of the album I reckon they actually top their chilled-out, Frenchie counterparts.
Published on 9 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars "when I am down you breathe life over me"
Simple Things is the debut studio album from Zero 7.

It's a tragedy that you are more familiar with the name Justin Bieber than of Henry Binns & Sam Hardaker; an elusive duo that dwell at the periphery of fame, sharing a drink or two with Michael Sandison & Marcus Eoin amongst other such elusive pairings. The foursome are having a discussion about whether or...
Published 14 months ago by Adam Finn

4.0 out of 5 stars Frenchies - 1, Rost Boeuf - 1, 9 May 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
The album's very much like Moon Safari, but with more basslines, beats, twists and turns. The first track is a classic, starting with a great bassline. And it carries on much the same, with tracks much more varied (I think) than the Air LP.
The album did start to lose my attention towards the end, however (hence the 4 stars rather than 5). But this perhaps just shows that I've spent too much time listening to the first few cool tracks.
So, if you are an Air fan, we've all establised you'll definitely like this. If you are not an Air fan, or have not sampled them already, give it a whirl. It's certainly good medicine following a hard day in the office.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Things, BRILLIANT Album !, 8 May 2003
Mark G (Milton Keynes, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
I can honestly say that the debut album “Simple Things” from Zero 7 is without doubt the most treasured in my collection. It’s sultry, smooth and ultra chilled, just right for those lazy summer days.
Having heard a couple of their songs on various chillout compilations, I decided to order the album and I can say that it more than met my expectations of them. The album produces a variety of different styles from jazz to soul to trip-hop and their is a great balance between the number of instrumental and vocal tracks.
The standout tracks for me are the catchy bass lines and beautiful background melodies of “Polaris”, the smooth flowing and dreamy guitar cords of “Give It Away” and the excellent vocals and slow moving rhythm of “In The Waiting Line”. To be honest, though, every track has something different to offer and it is an album that I can listen to all day and never get bored of. It’s a very poignant album and I’m not embarrassed to say that it sometimes makes me feel quite emotional when listening to it, such is the excellence of the album.
The superb vocals of Sia Furler and Sophie Barker further immerse you in Zero 7s unique brand of cool, sexy, downtempo music and leave a lasting impression on you and a tingle down your spine.
All in all, this is a brilliantly produced and well crafted debut album from a duo who don’t necessarily get the attention they thoroughly deserve for creating such a musical masterpiece. If your looking for an album that is refreshing, relaxing and let’s you unwind at the end of a long day, then you can’t go wrong with “Simple Things”.

5.0 out of 5 stars Air? no, this is style AND substance..., 17 May 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
I felt I had to post a review after so many of the others on this page have, I feel, missed the point or failed to do justice to this magnificent album. The Air comparisons miss the point entirely - (though if you enjoyed it, you probably would love this album) - this is a true soul album in a luscious downtempo style. Their range is quite astonishing, from beautiful soulful songs of loss and hope - This World is without doubt one of THE best songs I have ever heard - a truly great and moving soul ballad. Likufunele reaches the same soulful peak while sampling an African woman's choir and the instrumental Give It Away swoops majestically. Much as I enjoyed Air's 'Moon Safari', 'Simple Things' is on another level of greatness to that album, it satisfies on every level - the lyrics are continually inspiring and the strings and chords satisfy the soul.
Better than Air, believe the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class : Album of The Year .... make that the decade, 15 Nov 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
I have a huge selction of CD's and love the likes of Keith Jarret, U2, St Germain to name but a few. I first heard this album at a dinner party and bought it a few days later.
What can I say ... it just gets better with each play. It is pure class. I have noticed that quite a few songs are now appearing on television etc. Everybody who has heard this album loves it and now owns it.
I can see how people think that the album sounds like the French band Air, who I rate very highly as well. I would however have to say that Moon Safari, which is a great album, is not as strong as Simple Things, which is quite an acheivement. Apart from the opener on Moon Safari (which I would put in the top 5 singles ever made), every track on Simple Things is better than whats left on Moon Safari.
The best album made since Achtung Baby. Keep it up boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Debut, 28 Dec 2003
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Zero 7 are producers Henry Binns and Sam Hardaker of north London. Having forged their early careers working with a host of British artists including the Pet Shop Boys and New Order, they spent much of the 90's honing their production skills behind the scenes.
Following a great remix of Radiohead's 'Climbing the Walls', they then released this amazing debut album 'Simple Things' in mid-2001. I did not discover this until hearing the title track Simple Things on a mix album by Gilles Peterson, and it immediately caught my attention.
The production quality of this, a debut album, is simply astounding. The sound is a delicious blend of Air, Royksoop, Lemon Jelly and Bent - electronica with elements of everything from jazz, soul and funk to trip-hop and ambient techno.
I have been listening to the album for several months now and still its appeal has not waned - indeed several of the 'grower' tracks on the album (eg Give It Away and Out Of Town) have taken over from the single material such as I Have Seen, Destiny and In The Waiting Line.
The album starts with the tingling vocals of Mozez on I Have Seen, and blends the next hour into a cohesive set that rarely leaves the listener anything less than engrossed. Zero 7 also introduce a couple of other excellent vocalists in Sia Furler, and Sophie Barker (both of whom feature together in the excellent Destiny), and who match the mood and sound of the album perfectly.
A truly special album, Simple Things is a delicious blend of ambient electronica that I cannot recommend highly enough. One last piece of advice - pick up the version with 2 bonus tracks (the excellent Salt Water Sound and Spinning).
Oh and if you like this, you will be interested to know that Zero 7's second album is due in March 2004.
DGP

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple things please this simple mind, 23 Aug 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
This is without doubt one of the true gems of the year. Some have already compared it's brilliance to Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue'. I wouldn't go quite that far, because 'simple things' flounders ever so briefly in just one or two places. Initially, there is that nagging 'Air' comparison, but after a few listenings I forgot who Air were!!! In fact I found some parallels in this beautiful album to KD Laing's 'all you can eat' and Joni Mitchell's 'Hissing of Summer lawns'. 'Destiny' is as beautiful a track as you are going to hear all year. One reviewer defied us not to like this album. I can only echo his sentiment.

5.0 out of 5 stars a masterpiece of vocal and instrumental elegance, 27 May 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
I bought this album four weeks ago on the strength of "In the Waiting Line" which was part of a promo sample CD and I was not disappointed : Each track is a masterpiece of vocal and instrumental elegance :"Polaris", "Give It Away", "This World", "Distractions", and "Destiny" (the latter two benefitting from the truly remarkable voice of Sia Furler) are perfect examples of a successful fusion of chill-out and pop. But the most haunting piece must be "Red Dust" a dark and moody yet uplifting instrumental combining the best of Brazilian Bossa and 60's film music Morricone style with cutting edge contemporary production. Although the AIR comparisons are sometimes unavoidable as in "Polaris" or "Give It Away", they are never overwhelming. All in all, a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars hmmm sexy, sultry, 31 Dec 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Yes Yes Yes alright, Zero 7 do sound like AIR at their smooth best, but who cares, this is simply a majestic album. Any one of these tracks would grace any of the Chillout albums, of which there an abundence at present. "Destiny" aside do not expect to find tracks to storm the singles charts, just lay back, dimm the lights and let this album take you to that nice place. Every track oozes class with harmonic keyboards infused with subtle stings and woodwind cameo's and of course the sexy vocals. Move over Barry White this is my new weapon in the war of seduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lounging Music, 24 Aug 2002
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Zero Seven's debut album has to be one of the most genuinely relaxing albums of the past 2 years. Electronic soundscapes dominate, although I reckon comparisons with Air are only partially justified. Zero Seven has less 80's synth, more of a jazzy edge and there seems to be a consistency in style throughout this album that I think is missing from Air's offerings (not wanting to complain about Air's considerable talents, mind you).
The tempo is slow paced throughout the album and although the music is predominantly electronic, we do see a range of 'normal' instruments (guitars, strings +brass) making occasional but welcome appearances. The vocals sound effortless and the lyrics serve to compliment the overall mood of the album well. Sophie Barker's trance-inducing performance in 'in the waiting line' particulaly stands out. Hearing this track once on the radio was incentive enough for me to buy the album and I haven't regretted it.
So, if you like Air's 'Moon Safari', Massive Attack's 'Blue lines' or you simply want to collapse in a comfy chair and need an album to unwind to - you need some 'simple things'in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album, 27 Sep 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Let's get this straight, this is an amazing album. I think pretty much anyone could enjoy it, except maybe the diehard metal fans but then everyone has an opinion. Before I bought it, my favourite track was Destiny, which I heard in the car while driving through London, but now I don't know which I like best. I Have Seen, Destiny, Give It Away, Red Dust, Distractions, In The Waiting line and This World are the best songs, I know that is nearly all but that is what I am saying, this album is superb.
The two tracks I feel stray away from the overall sound of the album are Out Of Town and End Theme. That is not to say they are bad songs but I feel they don't quite fit on this album. But don't stop you from getting it. It is a must, I really mean that.
Oh and the Air comparison... who are Air?