4.0 out of 5 stars My, how you've changed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Survivors v. Survivors, 24 Dec 2008
S. Haines (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
It is a pity that views on the new Survivors are so polarised. But inevitable. I'm a fan of the original series, although it has to be said it gets heavy going after the first series. The new series is a good, modern take on Terry Nation's great story of an epidemic wiping out most of the human race. There is a wide gap of 30 years between the old and new series and therefore a vast difference in style and production values. Instead of endless tramping around in the countryside, with slow panning shots now endless tramping around deserted Manchester at sunrise and the typical jerky camera shots whenever there is any 'action' (just like 28 Days/ Dead Set, etc, etc). A few debris strewn streets were shown in the original 'Lights of London' but pretty much everything else takes place in the country. The original is almost a survival guide as the 'survivors' try to get everything working again so compared with the new series it is slowly paced and 'action' is fairly sporadic.
As for casting. Political correctness has been mentioned by other reviewers. It shouldn't matter if the cast are all white or all black or all whatever, it is the story that matters! But I think that casting along diversity lines or 'quotas' to reflect society is necessary. In any event, the casting is fine and the actors have recreated the original characters well. I like Julie Graham (not least because she's been one of my fave middle age totty since At Home With The Braithwaites) and hopefully Abby Grant will stay in the series, unlike the original.
Having ploughed through the original and enjoyed that and been reasonably satisfied with the new series, I'd say defy the 'credit crunch' and get BOTH series. In each case a great story, well told.

4.0 out of 5 stars My, how you've changed, 22 July 2009
W. R. Guntrip "Bob" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
It's only fair that the characters in the second take on Terry Nation's novel should reflect the values of the society dying around them, but for some reason I didn't expect it. So when Max Beesley's Tom Price presents as a brooding ex-con rather than the eccentric-but-harmless Welshman of the 1975 original, I began to wonder; the more so when the series turned on a drip-feed of sex and violence almost lacking from the original.
But it works. Julie Graham as Abby Grant and Paterson Joseph as Greg Preston pull the series together and give it drive (much as they did in the original), and Philip Rhys as the disenfranchised party-boy adds viewer interest as he is forced by cirmcumstance to mature more and more quickly than his peers.
The original series is still watchable today because it's driven by ideas and by dialogue. I hope in the second series of the new cut some of the principal characters will stop waving their guns around for long enough to fashion a society they can be proud of and the viewer can believe in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant original idea brought up to date, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
Having really enjoyed the book I still enjoyed this DVD...the story line is different from the book, but it's more relevant for today and still gripping. Anyone who enjoys this version should read the book and vice versa. I can't wait for series two. The acting is good and the plots terrifying..not sure if I would want to be a survivor...both the series and book are thought provoking and I really appreciate all our mod cons and cosy life style...

2.0 out of 5 stars survivors does not ring true, 2 Feb 2010
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
so anti_gun it is stupid.what has happened to all the pet dogs?they would have formed
packs and been on the hunt for food, and that means any animal including humans.
how do you defend your self against wild animals?spears?
altogether unbelievable from start to finish,it is so lovey-dovey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - when's Series 2?!!!!, 12 Sep 2009
A. Cummins "Kiwi Horror Chick" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered and watched this series with great excitement and anticipation and I was not disappointed. I originally thought this was a 6 part tv miniseries, so was somewhat shocked and surprised at the climactic ending of episode 6 (not wanting to spoil it for those of you who have not seen this yet)as I was wondering how they were going to wrap the story up. But now I guess the good part is that I have another series to look forward to - will be VERY VERY upset if there is not one - need to have closure - too many questions still need to be answered. I found the characters engaging and believable and want to find out what happens to them!!!! Very enjoyable hours of viewing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but I still prefer the original, 20 Feb 2009
Kentspur (Er...Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
I read that this series was going to be a 're-imagining' of the Seventies show - one I grew up with and thought was brilliant (series 1 anyway) - but the characters and situations seemed pretty much the same.

The changes are mostly funny rather than damaging - Tom Price now played as a brooding, cool, mysterious anti-hero rather than a pathetic bloke in a trilby - and the addition of the two muslim characters niether adds or subtracts in my view.

Three things I was a bit concerned by.

Firstly Julie Graham as Abby Grant. I think she got the 'natural leader' part off really well, but Carolyn Seymour in the original was just breath-takingly sexy. (And from the recent fan show on BBC Four, still is!) Abby Grant played by that woman off Bonekickers - naw... (Zoe Tapper compensates a bit, but she's no Carolyn Seymour either.)

Secondly, where was the music? This is a classic theme tune; why not bring it back?

Thirdly, the idea of having the people who 'unleashed' the plague as a story arc is a big no no and is reminiscent of where jericho, the US series on a nuclear strike, failed. The story's big enough without a cod mystery bolted on.

As this thread gets prominence at the end of this the first season, I fear for future episodes. The second series of the original show went a bit wrong and I fear this 're-imagining' may do the same for different reasons. After all, the 're-imagined' Battlestar Galactica didn't turn into utter rubbish until the very end of Season Three.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsurprisingly interesting., 12 May 2009
Z. W. Ball - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
I didnt think that the program would get me as captivated as it did. i watched the first episode not knowing what to expect but it suckered me in. i believe it gives you an idea of what the world would be like if something such as this wiped out 98% of all humanity. Well worth the money for the box set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, could be better, 7 Dec 2008
Mr. C. J. Iredale "juxtapose" (London Town) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, I am coming at this from the point of view of someone who regards the original show very highly indeed (certainly the first series), so that is going to colour my thoughts slightly. I was however, really looking forward to the remake; lets face it, only the grumpiest and myopic could complain about the wonderful work the Beeb has done with Doctor Who. Survivors in 2008 is still very middle class and it just lacks the grim reality of the premise of the show. No one seems scared or paniced by the notion that 99% of the planet are dead. On occasion it looks like a management training session - the great outdoors, a bunch of mis-fits looking perplexed and wondering when lunch is.

The shame here is it could have been wonderful; dark, moody, scarey etc. When I read that the minds behind it worried if it was getting too 'grim' then I thought these are not the minds to be in charge of such a show. It SHOULD be grim! Want light hearted? Go and watch X Factor.

I also thought the casting was not as good as it should be. The character of Abby Grant is to my just wrong. I don't care for the actress Julie Graham or her previous work, and despite being cast as strong willed roles in the past, she, to me just isn't convincing. Still, that's a personal winge.

Averall, it ok. Just ok. It stings really as it should have been brilliant. If you are a fan, check out the original. That, on occasion will be some of the finest tv ever made. Even with the fashion of flapping flares!

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak and skates over things, 28 Nov 2008
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
Why do modern remakes attempt to cover everything in about 6 episodes. This was a series worth doing well and spending more time on. Things seem to be going at a very rapid pace. I think that the collapse and people then coming together would have taken more time.

There are also a number of aspects which were very unconvincing - the accent used by the minister at the very beginning was ridiculous and then rapidly changed over the next 20 minutes, the sudden death was also pretty unconvincing.

Could have done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, looking foward to series 2., 16 Dec 2008
M. J. Coleman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
There was nothing wrong with this program, the acting was fine, as was the plot, and strong characters well acted. I think the problem lies with the the rose tinted speck brigade, this is one of the better programs the BBC have produced in a long while, but to die hard fans of the original nothing would have been good enough. I am a big fan of the original, but be realistic some of the acting is terrible, and some of the plot lines and character's were pretty bad and some were just downright irritating. I only hope they have the sense not to listen to some of these ridiculous opinions, and commission a 2ND series.
Martin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Survivors (2008) [DVD]
Survivors (2008) [DVD] by Julie Graham (DVD)
Used & New from: 7.99