5.0 out of 5 stars Don't keep the magic secret.
Every now and again, the BBC does something to make me glad they don't have adverts. The licence fee means I get to watch shows like Merlin without being chopped into three with 6 minute adverts to pad it out to an hour.

If you missed this series, Merlin is a young 20 something and so is the future King Arthur.
This is the first 6 episodes from the first...
Published on 30 Jan 2009 by Robert A. Mccafferty

Published on 9 Mar 2009 by Ms. Katherine H. M. Freeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good if you forget all you know about Arthurian legend, 9 Mar 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
OK I must admit something. I'm a mum and whilst my son wasn't that interested in this series, I enjoyed it. Mainly for the eye-candy. Bradley James (Prince Arthur) is one seriously delectable man and it was worth tuning in every week just to see him strutting about looking hot in his chainmail (not to mention those V-neck chest revealing tunics he wears!). Colin Morgan (Merlin) is also pretty cute if a bit boyish.

If however, male eye candy is not an inducement to watch this show then what is? Well firstly, forget everything you know about Arthurian legend. This show doesn't adhere to it. At all. They took the names "Merlin" "Arthur Pendragon", "Camelot", "Guinevere", "Lancelot" etc and made a smallville style series about young men discovering their destinies and so forth. Thats not to say its a bad thing, after all, Arthurian legend is part of British heritage and at least this is helping to keep it alive by introducing it to a new, younger generation who probably haven't (and wouldn't) read Mallory or T.H. White. But if you approach this series thinking that you're going to see a faithful adaptation of Arthurian Legend, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

If, however, you want a bit of swords 'n' sorcery fun (along with slightly dodgy-looking CGI monsters), swishy sword fights, a romantic-looking castle setting, fantastic costumes, a few familiar faces in the pantheon of British TV acting talent (Hello Giles from Buffy, Zoe Slater from Eastenders and Victor Meldrew!) and, of course, a few hot-looking young men (Santiago Cabrera who stars in one epsiode as Lancelot is pretty easy on the eye as well!) then you'll enjoy this.

The chemistry between the two male leads is also pretty spectacular and have even led some to claim that it has homoerotic overtones. Whilst I picked this up in some episodes (and not in others) I agree that there is just enough UST bubbling under the surface, amongst several of the main characters, to keep mums interested and guessing on the "will they won't they?" front whilst the children enjoy the sword fights and CGI creature/baddie of the week.

This series isn't comparable to Doctor Who. Its a little better than Robin Hood but still nothing to rival the good Doctor. Still its certainly worth a look, provided that you're not expecting anything more than family-friendly medieval dungeons and dragons hi-jinx.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't keep the magic secret., 30 Jan 2009
Robert A. Mccafferty "MoonRockGuy" (Western Isles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)

This is the first 6 episodes from the first series and although formulaic...A saves B from C....it's all good entertainment.

Merlin may well be a famous wizard but in this series he's not allowed to use magic because they've takes serious liberties with the original storyline despite using all the original names and characters of Arthurian Legend. Frankly, this is a good thing because although you know that good will prevail, you're never quite sure how.

This DVD has only the first 6 episodes of series 1. It's more than enough to get a handle on the key charachters and how they are progressing.
It's really endearing to see how Prince Arthur progresses from a "Royal Prat" to a future legendary king through his friendship wih Merlin.

The CGI graphics are a bit pants but the series is more about the characters and for that reason alone I'd recommend it and ask you to suspend your disbelief. The young actors are fantastic but Anthony Head and Richard Wilson add real body to the episodes with the strength of their performances.

When the second part of the series is released, I would recommend that too because Arthur really becomes a young man you would be willing to die
for.
I was delighted that the BBC commissioned a second series, if for no other reason than it keeps my kids enternained for many an hour but I worry that they may have set the bar too high.
I'm already prepared to die for Arthur, how much more can he achieve?

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather Like Cream Cakes..., 20 Oct 2008
T. K. Robson "tkr9" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
You see a cream cake. You know it's silly, sickly, and not good for you, but you have to have it.

Merlin is my cream cake. It's cheesy, fluffy, ruins the traditional Arthurian legends, is loaded to the gills with poor special effects, high levels of improbability and daft one liners, but...

But I love it. I shoudln't, but I do. Reality has never been my forte and forty five minutes watching the adventures of a young Merlin with real character, and a young Arthur who, unlike most of his predecessors on screen, actually does something heroic once in a while, just makes my week.

Magic, from start to finish. And an absolute oasis in the desert of current tv schedules. There should be room for imagination, and young kids need stuff like this to bring the Arthur legends to them before they are forgotten. As a kid I longed to find Camelot, to ride out on a horse and fight monsters (not bad, for a girl, I learned to ride but never stumbled over any griffins), and I'm delighted someone is bringing this dream to the next generation.

Thank you BBC for finally spending my licence fee on something I actually want to watch. Bring on Season 2, and more dragons this time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Merlin Box Set Review, 7 Feb 2009
brighton_rocker (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my son really but I enjoyed it too. As you might expect from a family fantasy tv series, the characters are all well stereotyped and there are no great variations from the typical plotlines that you know and love: headstrong, arrogant young prince in conflict with reluctant servant (Merlin) but, of course, friendship and enlightenment ensue; servant has secret powers which are at first used rashly but enlightenment is gained trough older, wiser but, of course, less talented mentor; king remains, of course, unenlightened by all around him; attractive female characters and the usual love triangles; etc, etc.
I'm starting to sound negative here! For all that it's well acted, reasonably well scripted and the costumes, CGI and good pacing make the episodes a good watch. They are all, at least, as good as your better Doctor Who adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect casting makes this show a winner!!!, 30 Jan 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I admit it, I was totally hooked on this show from the start. I'm a sucker for legend, myth and magic and the actors they picked for this are so spot on. It's not a documentary, or even a docudrama, but it is great entertainment. The characters were picked so that modern teenagers (young adults, and even some of us not so young adults) could relate to them. Merlin is lovable, Arthur is honourable, Morganna is gorgeous, and Uther is, well Uther. The series is well thought out, brilliantly acted, and believable (as much as a fantasy type story with dragons and knights can be believed).

As a bonus you get an extras disc with interviews and like a cast cam thing. It is hilarious, and you will love the actors even more after watching it, they are so very cheeky! I hope the BBC keep this series going, it's a real winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Kind of Magic?, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Containing the first 6 episodes of the new BBC Series. Much like the BBC series Robin Hood this takes all the characters from the legend but gives them a re-imagining. Merlin is introduced to us entering Camelot which is ruled by Uther and who has declared the practising of magic punishable by death. We are also introduced to Arthur, Gwen & Morgana as other principal characters.

The special effects are well done and certainly not over used, the stories themselves are well written and move along at a fairly quick pace and i didn't find myself getting bored or looking at the clock to see how long was left. this is a really fun series so far and we can only see with volume 2 whether it continues as it has begun

Robin Hood : The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2006]
Robin Hood - Series 2 [2008]

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great show, cute extras, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a really fun show - though, admittedly, not one for die-hard fans of the Arthurian legend, as a lot of liberties are taken with it. The cast all have a brilliant dynamic, with the young cast members having great chemistry and the older cast members like Richard Wilson and Tony Head bringing a little something extra to the show (and watching Victor Meldrew scolding a young Merlin every episode is a treat)

The extras on this DVD are fun, with the video diaries being especially good. I would have liked to have a blooper reel or more deleted/extended scenes, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin in the U.S., 9 Aug 2009
H. Park "H. Park" (USA - West Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I started watching this a month or so ago (as it premiered in the U.S.) because summer television here in the U.S. is pure dreck. Well, I'll take that back. U. S. television - at whatever time of year - is pure dreck, generally.

I'm actually not completely sure how I managed to find "Merlin", as what happened was that I turned on my DVR one evening to see what I might have recorded - and "Merlin" was there - much to my surprise, as I honestly do not remember setting my machine to record it.

Perhaps a small instance of Merlin's magic?

For the first few weeks two episodes were shown back-to-back each Sunday evening. I admit that I wasn't too impressed until episode 4, when "The Poisoned Chalice" completely drew me in. By the close of this episode I was well and firmly hooked.

I wanted more.

I came to the Amazon U.K. website to order the 2-set DVD's for the first full season and found that they were in Region 2 PAL format (players in the U.S. generally cannot play PAL disks).

No problem for me, though, as I had purchased a multi-region DVD player back when the Toby Stephens "Jane Eyre" was playing here in the U.S. and I wanted to get the R2 "Eyre" DVD because the R2 had "extras", the U.S. R1 did not.

The region 2 "Jane Eyre" played perfectly for me on my (then) new multi-region DVD player. In case you are interested, a multi-region DVD player can be had starting at about $40.00 U.S. I purchased mine through Amazon U.S.

The ordering process for the "Merlin" DVD's from Amazon UK was quick and easy, the promised delivery date was three weeks from order date, I was pleased to find that the DVD's actually arrived at my home in the U.S. only 5 days post order. Even though I had not requested any special nor accelerated shipping.

The "Merlin" DVD's are a total delight; the video is in the semi-letterbox that I very much prefer, the sound and video quality is beautiful and crisp. There is one full DVD in each set devoted to behind-the-scenes information and "video diaries" (I ordered the two sets, Set 1 is episodes 1-6; Set 2 is episodes 7-13).

I was especially looking forward to the voice-over narration (a special interest of mine, and something that I always enjoy), my only disappointment - and it is a small one - with the DVD's is that there is no voice-over narration for my favorite two episodes, "The Poisoned Chalice" and "Le Morte D'Arthur".

My only other comment - and hope - is that in the second season the writers get a bit away from the "monster of the week" story lines. There are some wonderful stories here, just aching to be told - let's hope that "Merlin" is allowed to tell them.

It would also be nice if the "video diaries" were pared down a bit on the next sets of DVD's in favor of more behind-the-scenes information. I loved the bit where Colin Morgan talks about his enthusiasm in performing his very first ever "stunt". Fascinating stuff.

All in all, I am extremely well pleased with my purchase; especially so since I firmly believe that this series is destined to become a classic.

A side note: I have never before purchased a television show on DVD. This is a first for me. And I am glad that I did. A real quality show, which I am glad to have added to my miniscule DVD library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin revisited, 30 July 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
For those who adore the many myriad versions of the myths of Merlin and King Arthur, this is a fabulous series taking a new spin on an old tale. The actors are convincing in their roles, the show has a nice innocence to it reflecting the age of the characters, and the exploration of noble action, right and wrong, duty, friendship,obligation to other and self is appreciated by this viewer. Makes a great gift for a dad, grandpa, friend...

5.0 out of 5 stars its magicly good, 22 Dec 2008
hi,

watched the show on BBC Iplayer and like it a lot.
James Bradley and Colin Morgan just superb. its a great fun to watch them together,guys have a great chemistry.
CGI not so great at all in my opinion.
but music is beatifull and while watching i had this feeling of proper epic movie.
Richard Wilson and Antony Head amazed me.
so
really worth to buy it.
just a Great Family entertainment

sorry for my english

Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD]
Merlin - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD] by John Hurt (DVD - 2008)