Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.19

on 13 January 2006
It seems like a good time to look back at one of the biggest selling punk albums in the nineties. In approximately nine days, it will be ten years since the release of Smash. So what better time than to write a review on it? :-)
Smash to The Offspring is what Definately Maybe is to Oasis, despite ten years of great music, Dexter and the rest of the group have never managed to make an album that is as consistently great as this one. I know many people might disagree with me here, but even if Pretty Fly did get to number one, it never matched the sheer class of Come Out and Play.
The album begins with a tongue in cheek introduction telling the listener to lean back and enjoy the melodies. However, this is not the type of album you can just relax to, and that is pointed out from the moment Nitro kicks in. The music is much more faster and rawer here with songs like Genocide, Something to Believe In and Not The One.
However, there is also the type of music that most people will know The Offspring for like the poppiness of Gotta Get Away and Killboy Powerhead. But it also delves into anger and paranoia with the dark Bad Habit and the twisted Self Esteem. If this does not get my point across then just think after you play this album, Pretty Fly will become less and less in your most played list.
Here's to ten years of classic songwriting, catchy hooks and brilliant riffs. :-) Buy It!
on 20 April 2000
"It's time to relax", the opening phrase of the album, not a good idea. If you relax for one second you will miss some of this awesome, punk rock masterpiece. The whole album gels together to provide a pivot for the Offspring's bid for world domination. Opening track Nitro is punk rock fury at it's best while Bad Habit contains, THAT line, you know, the screamed one about the stupid motherf... Anyway, the album continues it's high standard, especially on the punk rock singalong that is genocide, and then track seven, Come Out and Play. Wow. What a track, the catchiest, generally amazing song you will ever hear. Undoubtedly the albums highpoint. It continues with Self-Esteem, another highpoint and goes on laying waste to all pretenders to the punk rock throne. Ending with a title track of positively epic proportions, you will soon be singing "I'm not a trendy asshole, do what I want, do what I feel like" to everyone you meet. All I can say is buy this album, you won't be disappointed, unless maybe you are one of those trendy assholes that Dexter Holland so despises.
on 24 October 2000
Yes I know you liked Americana! But be prepared for a surprise because this is from back when they weren't some mainstream punk rock band. They were one of the best underground punk rock bands around with their style of controlled aggression. They can still be seen as sell-outs but at the moment they are, from their official website, letting you download their new album 'Conspiracy Of One' (before it's proper release) for an MP3; but they'll also enter you into a draw to win $1,000,000 (that's 667,000 english pounds). Any way back to this album; I became a real (The)Offspring fan after hearing this. I couldn't get enough of tracks like 'Self Esteem' or 'Smash'. You'll love every single song on this album and if you own 'Ixnay on the Hombre' you'll recognise the intro to 'Change The World' (the best intro part ever!!!). I hate to say this though but some of the tracks do sound a bit the same (the high pitched guitar part for 'Genocide' is the intro to 'Change The World' speeded up). But put that aside and you'll love this album; it's much better than that namby pamby Green Day in comparison. But don't get me wrong Green Day WERE good as well.
on 1 July 2001
The first album of Offspring I baught was Americana, and I have to say that I was dissapointed after all the hype that I'd heard, and it's still my opinion that Americana's the worst Offspring album, I then bought Conspiracy of one when it was released and found it to be a massive improvement on Americana but when I bought Smash I was blown away, it's one of the top 3 albums I own along with Dookie by Green Day and Dude Ranch by Blink 182. Offspring's harder more punky sound is a hell of a lot better than their recent stuff although there is a similar style with Come Out And Play and Original Prankster. But if you have not heard Offspring's older stuff then you don't know what your missing out on. If your looking for a straight forward punk-rock album with no messing around then Smash and the Offspring are for you.
on 2 February 2002
I own all the offspring albums, and this is by far their best. Although it does have an element of repitition, in that some parts are identical, they have there own world, of fast paced rock... agression, and excellent lyrics, which no other punk band has ever got close to. Before they started to go soft on their material (Americana & Conspiracy of one- I'm not saying these are poor- just not as good.) They really show what punk is about with songs like "Come out and play" and "not the one." But of course the best and most true songs of all are "smash" and "Self Esteem." I strongly recomend this.
on 30 January 2005
This album is the best Offspring album out there. There just too many good tracks on this CD to name. From "Bad Habit" to "Self-Esteem". They are all beautifully crafted and are quite possibly the album which is one of the best albums of the 90's. All fans should listen to this album!
on 25 May 2016
I had this on tape 'back in the day' - I borrowed the CD from a school friend and copied it! 19 odd years later I couldn't resist having another listen and I still remember every word to every song. I like to listen to this in the car, on my own, with the volume up to the max like I did at 15 years old - don't think my 10 week old son would appreciate this just yet! Brings back so many memories!
on 12 July 2015
la la la la la
la la la la la evey fan will understand that , this is by far the best album of 1994 and the best album by The Offspring , its a shame bands hadly make music like this anymore.
But thanfully some do , and on top form is The offspring with this masterpiece.
This is probably The Offspring's best album. It contains true punk songs such as Nitro, Bad Habit, Gotta Get Away, Genocide, COme Out And Play, and the brilliant Self-Esteem.
You're not a true Offspring fan until you own this!
on 9 December 2000
Smash by the offspring really brought out their talent. The album composes at times hardcore punk action on 'smash' , 'self esteem' and 'bad habit'.Also has the more poppy songs like'what happened to you'and 'nitro'. I give this album 5 stars because it landmarks a period in my childhood when i idolised this punk bandand still do. The album also has some amazing tracks like 'genocide','come out and play'. This album is a MUST buy. It'll give you hours of hardcore enjoyment.