5.0 out of 5 stars Closer to Heaven
As if the joys of Trio I were not enough !.

Dolly, Linda and Emmylou returned in 1999 with another
collection of perfectly chosen songs.Rarely can three such
distinctive voices have melded to make such a perfect whole.

A decade's further experience tells subtely in both
individual and ensemble performances. Ronstadt's velvety...
Published on 28 May 2006 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from being as good as "Trio"
Published 5 months ago by Aremess

5.0 out of 5 stars Closer to Heaven, 28 May 2006
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
As if the joys of Trio I were not enough !.

Dolly, Linda and Emmylou returned in 1999 with another
collection of perfectly chosen songs.Rarely can three such
distinctive voices have melded to make such a perfect whole.

A decade's further experience tells subtely in both
individual and ensemble performances. Ronstadt's velvety
tones have deepened and mellowed; Harris gives glimpses of
what was to come with "Wrecking Ball", a little cracked,
craggy and ephemeral; Parton is as sublime as ever !

It's very difficult to choose high points with so many
treasures on offer but I'll point you towards "High Sierra",
"He rode all the way to Texas" and "Feels like home" as current
favorites. The latter previously performed by Bonnie Raitt in
Mr. Newman's 1995 recording of his musical 'Faust' - yet sung
here exquisitely by Ms Ronstadt and enhanced further by Ms Parton
and Ms Harris's gorgeous harmonic contribution.

No hesitation then in willing you to buy this
wonderful album if you don't already own it.

Remarkable !

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like original Trio album, 22 Mar 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
The original Trio album was a traditional folk-country album and this is similar in style – even the same producer (George Massenburg) is at the helm. It did not have the impact of the original album, nor did it match that album for sales, yet the quality is still there.
This set opens with Lovers return, a Carter family song, which sets a brilliant standard for what follows. Among the songs here are covers of Dolly’s Do I ever cross your mind, Neil Young’s After the gold rush, Del McCoury’s I feel the blues movin’ in and John Starling’s He rode all the way to Texas.
This is a well-balanced collection of songs in which each of the ladies get their turn as lead singer, with the others providing great harmony vocals.
I regard the original Trio album as being one of the finest albums ever, by anybody, in any genre of music. This does not quite match it, but it comes very close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pleasure, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
I have had this album for years and love it even more now than I did when I first purchased it. I still enjoy modern albums, from Adele to Lady Gaga and Jessie J, but I am far more likely to have this on the player over any other. The willingness of these talented singers to not only let each other shine but also enhance one another is truly a gift to each of them and to us, the listening public. Thank you ladies, for bringing much listening joy to my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from being as good as "Trio", 17 Feb 2014
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Trio II (MP3 Download)
Whilst I accept that the singing is just as good, I felt that this album was not as well thought through as the first. Here we have a number of new tracks rather than the trio's versions of standards. I did like 'After the Goldrush' but felt that it would have been even better if, like the original, it had been recorded without backing as, I felt, the instruments detracted from, rather then enhanced, the performance.

Over all, a little disappointing BUT it's still an album to have by any Ronstadt/Parton/Harris fans

5.0 out of 5 stars country classic, 8 Dec 2013
KDB (manchester england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trio II (MP3 Download)
here again another collaboration of unique female country voices and songs.this album is just as good as trio and would complement your country music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE OF THE BEST, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
A short while ago I reviewed "TRIO", after having bought the LP record years ago. On listening again I found it to be as delightful as I did back then. Now we have "TRIO 2" with the same three, Dolly, Linda and Emmylou and nothing has changed. The voices continue to blend and the choices of tracks are as impeccable as ever.

LOVER`S RETURN - LR leads, DP and EH back her up with this Carter Family composition, about lost love. Good work on the Autoharp by David Lindley.

HIGH SIERRA - This Harley Allen song is lead by LR with harmonies supplied by DR and EH. It is a song about life. Great fiddle work by Alison Krauss.

DO I EVER CROSS YOUR MIND - DP leads with her own composition, EH sings verse 2 and they duet on the last verse. Again Alison Krauss supports.

AFTER THE GOLD RUSH - Neil Young wrote this and had a hit with it in the 1970`s. DP offers her rendition with the support of LR and EH.

THE BLUE TRAIN - Written by Jennifer Kimball and Tom Kimmel, it has LR sounding like Karen Carpenter with a song about hopelessness. DP and EH join in.

I FEEL THE BLUES MOVIN` IN - The tempo hastens with DP singing this Del McCoury track, about foreboding doom with a toe-tapping rhythm. Alison Krauss features again on fiddle. LR and EH back up admirably.

YOU`LL NEVER BE THE SUN - At last EH comes off the subs bench to lead with this love song written by Donagh Long. DP and LR join in.

HE RODE ALL THE WAY TO TEXAS. DP sings this John Sterling song about lost love. LR and EH join in the chorus.

FEELS LIKE HOME - This Randy Newman composition is handled well by LR. It is a song about finding love. DP and EH feature in the background.

WHEN WE`RE GONE LONG GONE - EH leads on this final track of the CD written by Kieran Kane and James Paul O`Hara which is basically about getting along as best you can. Good mandolin by David Grisman. DP and LR join in the chorus.

Special thanks must go to LR, not only for her singing, but also for her assistance in the production of this CD. Both this CD and the earlier volume are living proof that world renowned solo artists as these three are can be an exceptional TRIO as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this much more than I expected. Good country music well sung, arranged delivered. Very easy to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trio - Vol2 the best, 6 Jan 2004
Keith C. Armstrong (Findhorn, Forres, Moray, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
I have given this only four stars, not because I think it less than the best but to allow myself to add an additional star for Albums that rank as all time favourites. I haven't listened to this long enough for it to fall into that category.
The renditions of these songs is absolutely lovely. They pull at the heart and stir the mind to reflect on the beauty of others and our past.
Want a good listen. Get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Trio 1, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Trio 2 (Audio CD)
..and what's not to love about this? More of the same from three ladies who obviously enjoyed working together - A class act or better still, three class acts.

Trio II