5.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, this compilation is almost too good!
Although the very decent "softly with these songs: best of roberta flack" compilation was already in existence, this product is even better. The track listings are extremely similar, but there are enough subtle changes to make this a near-definitive selection of seventeen songs.

Published on 27 Jan. 2008 by P. B. Koeb

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberta 5 stars, cd quality? 3 at a push
Trying to find a good sounding CD of Roberta Flack has become an annoying obsession of mine I have to say. The vinyl sound quality was great. The CDs however vary from atrocious sounding to just okay.

Published on 10 Jun. 2013 by Privateofcourse

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, this compilation is almost too good!, 27 Jan. 2008
P. B. Koeb (Aljezur, Portugal) - See all my reviews

All the big hits feature, such as "Killing Me Softly...", "Feel Like Makin' Love", "The First Time Ever....", "The Closer I Get To You" and "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love". There are four tracks taken from the supreme "Roberta Flack featuring Donny Hathaway" album, including the full, magnificent seven plus minutes of "Don't Make Me Wait Too Long". "Back Together Again" is done as an edit, and does sound a little odd. The worthwhile "Oasis" album also yields a few selections and the set is brought to a close by the soulful "Trade Winds", which Rod Stewart would cover on "A Night On The Town".

All in all, a near-perfect collection. The sort of compilation which is guaranteed to hit the spot, whenever you give it a play. The one change i would make would be to find room for the great "Uh-Uh Ooh-Ooh Look Out" from "Oasis". (This track DOES feature on the "softly with these songs" compilation, but in an unsatisfactory remixed form.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberta at her finest !, 6 April 2010
The duets featured with the equally smooth vocal tones of Donny Hathaway make for a perfect musical match as heard on a number of songs featured in this terrific collection. Equally in combination with Roberta singing solo so beautifully such powerful sentiments as expressed in the songs "Making Love" and "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" serve to make this selection a musical must to be added to anyone's musical collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 26 Jan. 2010
Brian Martin "lucky laddie" (Erskine Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A Rhino compilation that usually means class, and this is no exception great selection of tracks, well-engineered and good liner notes by David Nathan. All the hits here are including duets with Donny Hathaway.

Get the original Rhino compilation for sound quality.
5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars drops of pure magic, 24 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Very Best Of Roberta Flack (MP3 Download)
vital and elusive - how does she manage that! There are lovely moments in this album and revive memories from years ago. not all tracks stand the test of time but the gems like 'Killing me softly' are still gems!

4.0 out of 5 stars The magic lingers on, 18 Oct. 2007
I wanted a memory of a concert I went to this year in Washington when Roberta Flack sang with the National Symphony Orchestra. I was on holiday from Cornwall in the UK and it was worth making the trip just to hear her sing! This CD captures some of the magic moments when she first brought these songs onto the music scene. It seems a long time ago when I first heard her sing, but in the concert and on this CD her artistry is as fresh as ever

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberta 5 stars, cd quality? 3 at a push, 10 Jun. 2013

A quick search and I discover I'm not the only one disappointed with the overall quality of these CDs. The last track on this album is especially bad...very, very bad transfer to CD. Distortion is very evident on the last track and it sounds very much like a compressed recording, or a 'rescued' recording.

Many 'Best of' albums, no matter which artist, suffer greatly from awful sound quality to be fair. If you're happy to listen to mp3s only though it may suit.

Oh well, there are a couple of tracks on the album that I particularity like and I can live with this CD until something better emerges.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Icon of My Youth!, 1 Jun. 2013
Thespionic (West Country) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Roberta is a true icon from the 70's & 80's with a wonderful, wonderful voice. This album is worth getting just for `Killing Me Softly' & `The First Time Ever,' two of the best songs ever recorded.
`Tonight I Celebrate My Love `is also a wonderful love song. In fact, the first half of this album is unbelievably good, unfortunately, the second half has no hope of competing with material like that, even though there are a few of her chart entries in there. No one makes 17 classics do they? A fine album overall though. Incredibly neither `Killing Me `or `The First time Ever' got to number one here which is an absolute travesty. Roberta is in her 70's now but what a legacy to have sung two songs like that? Whilst the second half does lag a little the quality of the first half has to make this 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Usual RHINO quality failed.... poor sound!!!, 27 Sept. 2014
I'm so sorry, but I can not give a positive opinion on this disc. Certainly not for artistic merit, which are not discussed, but for the poor sound of some tracks. RHINO, this time you have not maintained your usual high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Mememory Songs, 25 Aug. 2013
I was absolutely delighted with this album Roberta has such a strong clear resonant voice, far better in my opinion that Diana Ross, my favourite tracks are Tonight I Celebrate my Love with Peabo Bryson and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and the third Killing Me Softly, but they are all very good indeed. I am of an age now that I can remember all these songs and it was so nice to be reintroduced to them again. I thoroughly recommend this album particularly to those who enjoy a bit of romance in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic and easy listening, 24 Feb. 2013
I am in the age group 65 - 70 and this CD is my type of music. I actually bought it as part of my husband's 70th birthday present for the track "The first time ever I saw your face" I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard the other tracks. Hubby was also pleased and we often listen to it during our "telly free time". I would recommend this CD to all the romantics out there.

The Very Best Of Roberta Flack